Copyright ©1999, Tracey Harnack. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co.
Rating: PG
Title: The Path Least Traveled Part 1 Tough Choices, Harder Truths
Author: Tracy Harnack

The Path Least Traveled Part 1
Tough Choices, Harder Truths

        My story is a long one, but I have plenty of time. Besides, I want to tell it. So here goes, and maybe when I’m finished you’ll understand something of my motivations.
        My name is David Rossi, and I was born and bred in the very heart of Washington D.C. My mom was a daycare worker and my dad was one of millions of businessmen trapped inside an office fifty hours a week doing a thankless job. Neither had anything approaching vision or even an open mind to new ideas or concepts.
        I was never like other kids when I was young. I never cared about sports or friends or any of the things that were all so important my peers. I loved to read, mostly fairy stories, myths, or stuff about other worlds or the future. I was always daydreaming about meeting someone from another world. I never had any real friends, especially in high school, and my parents were sure I would never amount to anything.
        My teachers said I was smart, but I never got good grades in school because, to put it bluntly, I just wasn’t interested. In fact, I was pretty bored with most of mankind. I wanted to be a writer and I wrote several stories and essays, all having something to do with what was wrong with our society. They were all rejected, I think mostly because people just don’t want to hear truth when it’s depressing or inconvenient, particularly when it comes from a snotty little upstart kid.
            I’m tall, about six feet, with dark hair and eyes. I have a fairly dark complexion, like I always have a light tan. I guess I’m not bad looking but I always thought I was too awkward and long.
        When I was sixteen the Taelons made contact with earth. From the moment I saw them, I was entranced. They were so wonderful and pure, my idea of perfection. I knew right away that I had to find a way to meet one of them. I read everything I could about them. I learned about the Commonality (What a wonderful concept!), their language, their philosophy. I followed all their projects, appearances, and speeches, but it still wasn’t enough.
        Then I heard about the Volunteers program. At last, a chance to actually get involved with the Taelons! I knew that I would follow them anywhere, do anything they asked. I thought that all humans should follow the example of these glorious creatures.
        This was long before even the Liberation was spreading rumors about an ulterior motive for the Volunteers. I never found out the full truth in any case, but I heard some stories about them being sent to fight Taelons wars in distant galaxies. But when I joined, Zo’or wasn’t even active in the Synod, and at that time, the Volunteers were still under the sole control of Da’an
        I remember the day I told Mom and Dad about it. It was a Friday. I figured that the end of the week was the best time to spring it on them. Dad came home from work in a good mood, for once, and Mom had just gotten a raise. I’d even made dinner (Yes, I can cook)
        "David, this is really good." Mom said. "Um, what is it?"
        "Pod Thai," I answered. "It’s very nutritious. And no animal products." I’d been a vegetarian since I’d first found out exactly where meat came from.
        "Yeah, well I personally believe in the wholesomeness of a nice, juicy, rare steak. But this isn’t bad for health food." Dad was a red-blooded American, all right. Normally this would’ve led to a discussion about the morality of eating animals, but this time I wasn’t going to do anything to jeopardize Dad’s good mood. Well, not until I sprang the big one on him. And that would be right about now.
        "Dad, Mom?" Unexpectedly, I was nervous. "I have something I need to tell you. I’ve made a decision about my life that I think, I know, will put me on the right path."
        Dad beamed. "Good for you, son. What is it? A scholarship program? The Army?" Dad had fought in the SI wars and thought that every "real man" should serve his country in the military.
        "Well, not quite." I said, stalling.
        "Don’t tell me you joined the Marines!" He said in mock horror "Well, I guess even that’s better than spending your life as a starving writer." Dad’s idea of quality reading was a copy of the Times on Sunday morning.
        "Now Johnny, let the boy tell us his news himself." Mom looked at me encouragingly. "Go ahead, David. What is it?"
        I swallowed. The best way was to put it bluntly. "I’ve decided to join the Volunteers program. It’s a wonderful opportunity, and I can write about it later on. My guidance counselor told me about it, and she thinks I’d be perfect for it." Silence fell over the table. Complete and utter silence. Dad’s jaw fell open and Mom’s fork stopped in midair and then dropped clanging to her plate. It was like a scene out of some sitcom or a movie. Except, in this room, I was the one under the spotlight.
        I don’t know how long it was before anyone moved. I do know that I was frozen to my seat. Finally Dad said something. Actually, he roared something.
        "You what?!?!" He shouted. "You mean you want to serve those creatures?" He had always resented the Taelon presence on earth, even though they had helped humanity in countless ways, saving thousands of lives.
        I took a deep breath, forcing myself to be calm and rational. My getting steamed would only irritate him more. "I know that this will make me a better person, and help me with my life. And the Companions have given the world so much, I think that I would like to be able to thank them in any way that I can." I purposely ignored his calling the Taelons ‘creatures’, as much as I wanted to jump up in defense of my heroes. "Besides, I will be learning the discipline you always said I needed. From what I’ve heard, the first part of the program is like Army basic training." I hoped that that would soften his heart a bit, even though I knew it probably wouldn’t help. Actully, it made things worse.
        Dad stiffened. "Basic training?" He yelled. "Yeah, for the wrong side. Don’t you ever compare one of the finest institutions of America to some manipulative alien program. You are out of your skull if you think that I’m going to tolerate any son of mine bowing down to those creatures. You’ve always had an unhealthy obsession with them, but I let it go. Now, this is just too far. And for your information, humanity didn’t need their help. Those pasty, cowardly, subversive creatures have done nothing for us that we couldn’t do on our own. ‘We come in peace’." He snorted. "What a bunch of hogwash. The only reason they came in peace was because they knew that they couldn’t beat us in fair fight. So they’re working from the inside, pacifying us to death, and I’ll be damned if I let you fall for their lying tricks."
        I jumped to my feet in uncontrollable anger, banging my knee against the table. I barely felt it. Mom was just sitting there, watching, not saying a word.
        "Then be damned!" I shouted. "You know absolutely nothing. They saved us from our own stupidity and ignorance. The ignorance you just displayed in abundance. They came here to help us because we couldn’t help ourselves. They have come in peace, and they have brought peace to us. Don’t you dare call them creatures. They are more civilized than we could ever dream of being in a thousand years. They are pure, while we are dirty. They have made themselves into energy and joined together as one, while we fight over lines on a map and colors of skin, when left to ourselves.
        "You think humans are so much better than anything else. What makes you so sure we are? What can we do that they can’t? What do we have that they don’t? You have never even been out of the country, but you think you’ve seen it all. You think that Americans are better than British, Whites are better than Blacks, and Humans are better than Taelons, while you have not one shred of proof. In fact, there is an overwhelming amount of proof to the contrary. You disgust me." I looked at my father in pure, unadulterated hate.
        He had gotten up when I had, and now he sank into his chair, stunned. As conflicting as our views had always been, I had NEVER stood up to him like that. I think I was as surprised as he.
        Mom decided that she had to do something. "Johnny," she said softly. "Don’t do anything we’ll all regret." He was still too shocked to answer, used to immediate obedience as he was. "David, I think that it’s great that you want to find some direction in your life, but the Taelons are not the ones to give it to you. I’m sure they seem very nice, but they are so secretive and who knows what they are really doing. Now, I’m not saying that they are doing anything wrong, but it’s best to err on the side of caution. Besides, they are so alien, it would be bad for you to be with them." Mom never liked things she couldn’t understand, and she didn’t understand the Companions. "And it could be dangerous."
        At this point Dad, recovered. "Irene, let me handle this." He growled. "David you are not going to do this, and that’s final. Now, go to your room and I’ll deal with you later. If you ever talk to me like that again, you’ll live to regret it, in the worst way. You’re right about one thing at least; you do need discipline, and its called West Point. Two months there and you’ll never speak to me like that again."
        "Dad, I’m not a little boy anymore." I said, angrily. "Wake up, I’m almost a man. I’m seventeen, and I’ve made my choice. You can either accept it, or not, but I’m going to sign up first thing tomorrow."
        "The hell you are! I may be ‘overwhelmingly ignorant’, but I do know one thing, and that’s that you can’t do anything without parental consent. And this parent is not consenting. Ever." He was standing again. "You are going to your room and not leaving until the next decade."
        I stared at him. "Fine," I said. "In three months I’ll be eighteen. Then you have no right to tell me what I can and can’t do." I managed to say it calmly and desisively, without the venom I was feeling.
        Dad was speechless. I think he had automatically assumed that I would always be under his authority, no matter how old I got.
        Mom reached over and put her hand on my arm. "David, please don’t." She said. I knew she was scared that something would happen to me.
        "I have to." I said, sorry that I was hurting her. I turned back to Dad. "If you feel like that, then maybe I should just move out now."
        "Maybe you should." He was cold.
        "Good. I’ll go pack." I turned and started up the stairs. I was stopped by a choked sob.
        "Stop it! Both of you!" Mom shouted. "I won’t let your stubbornness tear this family apart. Please, let’s just give each other some time to cool down and look at things rationally before we decide anything." Mom was usually very quiet, and she rarely, if ever raised her voice.
        " ‘Rationally’. ‘Decide anything’." Dad snorted. "A little late for that, don’t you think, Irene?" He pushed back his chair and stomped toward the master bedroom. Mom tried to stop him, but he shook her off and slammed the door.
        She turned to me with pleading eyes. "David, don’t leave, please"
        "Mom, I have to."
        "At least stay the three months."
        "You heard Dad, he wants me out."
        "Please."
        "I won’t stay where I’m not wanted."
        "Will you promise not to leave until tomorrow, until after I’ve talked to him?"
       
        I nodded. "I won’t go without saying goodbye." With that I hauled myself up the stairs, exhausted and in shock from the argument. I flopped down on the bed and thought long and hard. I had known they were going to take it badly, but I hadn’t figured on this. What had just happened? Where would I go? And, most importantly, would they ever forgive me?
        I had bad headache, and, as much as I hate to admit it, I was scared. But more than that, I was drained. I knew that I was going to have to do something, I knew had alienated my family, and I knew that I was going to have a hard three months, whatever happened next, but the facts hadn’t sunken in, really. It was like it had all happened to someone else, and I was just watching from a distance.
        I rolled off the bed and stumbled out the door and into the hall, heading for the bathroom and the bottle of aspirin. At the top of the stairwell I heard the rise and fall of muted conversation coming from my parents’ room.
        At least they’re not yelling, I thought. I stopped, curious as to what was going on. I have pretty sharp ears, but even I had to strain to hear. I only caught about every other word, but Mom seemed to be making progress, doing most of the talking, while Dad listened and grunted once in a while. Now that’s unusual, I thought. Dad’s always the one to talk. I guess Mom’s finally fed up after all these years.
      After a moment, I got tired of trying to make out exactly what they were saying and went back to my quest for the aspirin. I dry-swallowed them, and was immediately reminded of why I don’t do that, as I choked on the tablets. I got them down anyway, and went back to my room. I crawled under the covers like a little boy, without bothering to change into my pajamas. Sleep, blessedly, came quickly, though not without it’s share of bad dreams.
        I awoke to a soft knock on my door. Looking over at my clock, I saw that it was only 11 p.m. I sat up and grabbed my glasses. "Who is it?"
        "Me, Mom." Came the barely audible reply.
        "Come in." I said, half-afraid of what was going to happen. She opened the door only enough to enter and shut it gently behind her. She walked over the bed and sat down at the foot. I looked at her expectantly.
        She picked up the little chain that hung from my bedpost, the one with the antique ring attached that she had given me when I was 10, and started playing idly with it. After a moment she took a deep breath and looked at me.
        "Your father and I had a long talk and he said that you could stay here as long as you were not working for the Taelons. He said…" She closed her eyes "He said that once you joined them, you were not welcome in his house. I’m so sorry, David, nothing I said could change his mind." She leaned over and tousled my hair. "You know I don’t like them, and I don’t want you near them, but you’re right, you are almost a man and you have to be allowed to make your own choices, even if we think they’re the wrong ones. I love you, David, even when you’re stubborn."
        "I love you, too. And thanks." I gave her long hug. Three months, I thought. Three months until I’m on my own. At least I’ll have the Taelons. They’ll take care of me.
      Mom took the chain and hung it around my neck. "I know you’re going to go anyway, so at least keep this to remember us by." She stood up, kissed my forehead and slipped out the door, leaving me alone with my thoughts. I fingered the old chain and ring, and lay back against the pillows, hoping to sleep again. Sleep did not come. I tossed and thought and turned and thought some more all through the night, until daybreak. I got up, nerves frayed and eyes drooping and headed out to face the day.
        The next three months passed with agonizing slowness. Dad and I did not speak, Mom and Dad barely spoke, and Mom avoided talking to me in his presence. Living in a graveyard would’ve been more fun. At least none of the corpses would hate me. As my birthday drew near, I grew restless. I wanted to get on with it already.
        Finally it was March 26, the day before my eighteenth birthday. No one said anything. The house was like a tomb. I had gotten into the habit of staying at school late to study and grabbing some fast food on the way home, thereby avoiding uncomfortable "family" meals. My parents didn’t complain. Usually once I got home, I said hello to Mom and retreated to the safety of my room to read, write, or study some more.
        But this night was different. I came home as soon as school let out and went up early to pack. I didn’t know what I would need, only that kids who had nothing had joined the program. I figured that I’d better pack light, but bring the things I cared for.
        First I got out some clothes, one item for every kind of weather and plenty of clean underwear. Yes, I did listen to my parents sometimes, and I’d heard the "what if you need to go to the hospital?" speech one too many times. At any rate, that filled up my duffel bag about halfway. Then I added sandals and boots, plus personal items like toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. This is like packing for camp, I thought. Only at camp, you always come back. That was a sobering thought. I’m not coming back.
      I shook myself and continued packing, moving around my room, trying to get everything. When I got to my bookcase, I paused. Books were my most treasured possessions. I had always taken great pride in my collection, and I hated not to take them all with me. But I had to choose. I could stay here, in my safe room and dream of a better world and read my books, or I could go out there and help make that better world, by serving those who had been humanity’s saviors. Well, when you put it like that… I thought wryly, as I perused my collection for my most loved books.
        I chose The Complete works of William Shakespeare, From the Earth to the Moon, Gulliver’s Travels, and, of course, Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings. I wanted to take more, but I knew I was probably pushing it as it was. I grabbed a pillow and blanket, even though I knew I wouldn’t need them. I guess it was for security or something. Funny the things you do to make you feel better.
        At last my bag was full, although for the most part the contents of my room seemed undisturbed. Just as I was zipping it up, Mom came in.
        "You’re really going."
        "Yeah." I could hardly believe it myself.
        "You don’t have to, you know."
        "Yes, I do."
        She sighed. "I guess everyone has to leave, sooner or later. But you’re not even out of high school. Your mind is made up, isn’t it?"
        I nodded. She looked like she was going to cry. I went over to her, and put my arm around her. I’m tall, taller than Dad, but I only have a couple of inches on Mom. "I can’t stay. I have to do this. And even if I didn’t, there’s too much bad blood between Dad and I right now. Maybe in a few years, after things heal, I can come back."
        "You’re right, you’re right. It’s always hard to let your children go, and it’s hardest when things are bad between you." She sniffled. "I’ll go now, and let you finish here."
        I felt terrible. For all her faults, her simplicity, and her one-dimensional worldview, I really loved my mother, and I hated hurting her. She had always tried to be fair and good to me, and she knew that I loved things she didn’t understand. She had always let me be myself.
        I picked up my journal from beside my bed. In it were stories, poems, drawings, musings, and my diary entries. I hugged it to my chest, remembering all the things I had written over the years about rights, choices, and philosophy. If I didn’t take this chance, this risk, I would be betraying everything I’d believed in since I was young, and couldn’t do that. I put it gently in the top of the bag, and closed the duffel tightly. I had to go.
        I barely slept that night, and I got up about seven o’ clock. I took one last look around my room, running my hands over the furniture, and caressing my books with tender care. I knew that it would most likely be the last time I ever saw this place. Taking deep breath I walked out of my room, closing the door behind me.
        Downstairs, Mom had made a big pancake breakfast, with blueberries and syrup and powdered sugar, just the way she used to on Sunday mornings when I was a little boy.
        I sat down and dug in. "Where’s Dad?" I asked, after five huge cakes smothered in pure maple syrup.
        "In the bedroom. He…isn’t feeling too well." We both knew it was a lie. Strangely, my heart sank. I guess I hadn’t realized that he wouldn’t be there to see me off. And it hurt. I had thought I was prepared, but I wasn’t.
        "I see." I said, in a flat tone. I pushed my plate away and drained my orange juice. Wiping my mouth, I got up and stood there awkwardly. "Well, um, I guess I’d better be going."
        "Yeah." She gave me a hug and a kiss, obviously trying not to cry. "Be careful, okay?"
        "I will." I promised. I grabbed my duffel and headed out the door. I stopped in the doorway, and turned toward her. "Look, I’ll be alright. Really." She nodded mutely.
        I stepped across the threshold, knowing if I stayed any longer, the temptation not to go might overwhelm me. When I reached the street I looked back toward the house, half-hoping that Dad might be there to say goodbye. He wasn’t.
         I made a beeline for the Taelon Friendship Center, two blocks from the school. I had never been inside before, but I had passed by countless times, knowing it would be futile to go in if I couldn’t join. It wasn’t an organic structure, like the embassy, but it wasn’t like anything any human had designed, either. It was made of an opaque king of fiberglass, blue, naturally. There was a mural on the side that had been painted by some schoolchildren. It depicted a group of five Taelons reaching out to a group of children; a blond little girl, an African-American boy, an Asian boy, an Indian girl, and a Native American boy. A rainbow arced over the whole picture. From the Companion’s outstretched hands came sparkles that swirled around the children, making them smile. The words "Thank you" were painted in silver letters under the scene, in a child’s writing.
        if only Dad could understand that, I thought. The kids who painting that mural understood, so why can’t he? I went up three steps, opened the heavy glass door, and went inside. I found myself in a small room with a desk. There was a tall, older woman behind the desk. I went over to her and stood for a minute until she noticed me.
        "Yes?" She asked, politely. "May I help you?"
        I cleared my throat. "Um, my name is David Rossi. My guidance counselor recommended me for the Volunteers program…"
        The woman smiled slightly. "Yes, Mr. Adams said that you’d be stopping by today. A representative will meet with you in a few minutes to answer all your questions and register you, if you still want to enter the program. Do you have a parental consent form?"
        "No, ma’am. I’m eighteen."
        She looked askance at me. "I’ll need a birth certificate. To verify, that is. We can’t have kids running away from home and joining up without permission. One kid gets hurt and the country will be screaming bloody murder."
        "Oh, yeah. I understand. Just a second." I’d sort of forgotten about that, but luckily I had gotten a copy of my birth certificate the day after my "announcement".
        I put my duffel on the floor and unzipped it. I took my journal and opened it to the first page. There, in the pocket, was a folded square of paper. I took it out, closed the book carefully, replaced it in the bag, and zipped it back up. I unfolded it and handed it to her.
        She scrutinized it, me, and it again. Finally, she nodded. "It seems to be in order. Of course, I’ll have to check with the computer files."
        "Of course."
        "Why don’t you go on in," She indicated a large doorway behind her. "And you can get started. I don’t think there’ll be any problems."
        I thanked her, grabbed my duffel, and went through the door. I entered a room that was basically one big dome. The inside was painted a deep blue and there were stars arranged in unfamiliar constellations. Maybe that’s what the stars look like from the Taelon homeworld, I thought. It sure is pretty.
      I had no sooner registered my surroundings, than Da’an appeared in front of me. I nearly hit the roof (was there a roof?), before I realized that it was only a hologram.
        "Welcome." It said. "We are here to help. It is my hope that this program will encourage the youth of earth to extend their talents and abilities by learning more about the galaxy and all the wonders it holds. Please, join with us to create a better universe, a better future for Humans and Taelons in equal measure. The Volunteers will change you for the better, so that you may change the rest of the world. Thank you for giving us the chance, so that we may prove our goodwill. Together we will reach beyond the stars." "Da’an" winked out of existence.
        I stood there in amazement. It had been so lifelike. The hologram had only reinforced my conviction that the Companions deserved our thanks, love, and respect.
        "I can see you will be an excellent Volunteer." A feminine voice behind me said. I jumped again. I hadn’t even heard her come in. I swiveled towards the voice. There stood a lovely young woman, perhaps 20, with a neat blond ponytail, an implant behind her left ear. She was petite, and seemed to be full vigor and enthusiasm. She was wearing a Taelon style jumpsuit. Obviously a Volunteer.
        "Amazing, isn’t it?" She asked, echoing my thoughts. She smiled a very nice smile, her deep blue eyes sparkling. "I could watch that a hundred times and never get bored. Da’an knew what he was doing when he started the program."
        I looked at her in surprise. "You’ve know Da’an?!?!"
        She chuckled as though at a private joke. "I’ve met him several times." She moved from the entrance towards me. "My name is Jennifer, but please, call me Jen. And you’re David." It was a statement, but I nodded anyway. "Now, do you have any questions about the program? Anything at all?"
        "Anything?" I teased gently.
        "Well, just about. This is my job, you know. Are you familiar with these?" She indicated her implant.
        "You mean the bio-engineered, semi-sentient implants that the Taelons use to heighten the senses of the Volunteers, and give them ididec memories, in order that they may serve the Companions with greater efficiency?"
        "Very good. I can see you’ve done your homework." Jen smiled again, showing perfect teeth.
        "I’ve wanted to join the Volunteers since it was created. For fourth months my life was homework. I think I know as much as there is to know about it without actually joining."
        "Wow." She looked very impressed. "Well, you’re hired. We need people like you. A whole bunch of people joined at the start because they thought it would be "cool". Then word got out that you actually had to work and things fell off. It’s picking back up again, but we still get our share of the deluded who think that it’s a free cruise around the galaxy. My job is to weed them out and get to those who know what they’re doing."
            I grinned at her. "That’s me. So, which kind are you?"
            "Actually, I was in a test group, before the program was announced to the public. I’ve been working for the Taelons for about two years. And I loved it from the start."
        "Great. Just tell me what I have to do, and you got yourself a Volunteer."
        She withdrew a global from the holster at her waist. "Well, let me just make sure everything is in order here…" She punched some buttons. "What do you know, just turned eighteen. Happy birthday."
        "Thanks." I said sarcastically.
        Jen looked oddly at me, as though she guessed some of the turmoil that had occurred over the past few months. Whatever she gathered, she didn’t comment.
        "Alright," She said. "Everything seems to be in order. If you want to read all 95 pages of the Volunteers rules, the agreements between the Taelon and Human governments, miscellaneous regs, that sort of thing, here they are. Otherwise, I’ll just need a thumbprint." Jen handed me the global.I pressed the screen in the highlighted square without glancing at the material. "I’ve read them. In fact, I’ve memorized them."
        "Wonderful." She took it back. "You’re all set. You leave right now. I’ll fly you. We’re not expecting anyone else today."
        "Okay." I slung my duffel over my shoulder and followed her as she headed out.
        "You won’t be needing that, you know." She mentioned, indicating my bag as we walked out. There was a two-man helicopter behind the building, and Jen proved quite proficient in its operation. On the way, I commented that I was surprised that we hadn’t taken an interdimensional craft.
        "Yeah, well those are in short supply. And we aren’t going far enough to need it. Beautiful day for a helicopter ride, huh?"
        "Yes, it is. Say, have you ever ridden in one? An interdimensional, I mean?"
        She laughed. "Ridden in one? Baby, I can fly one." She winked, and then laughed again at my expression. "You can close your mouth. If you want, you can learn how. It’s a special program, but if you’re good with vehicles, the Taelons are always looking for able pilots. I got my rating, but just barely. I can fly one, but they’re not going to let me fly one of the Companions. Basically, they call me when they need a taxi service for someone who’s not that important."
        I guess my expression said it all, because she laughed again. "Don’t worry, I’m aces with this girl." She patted the dashboard. "You got nothing to worry about. ID space is tricky stuff, and so are Taelon shuttles. A lot of it is feeling, like a sixth sense almost. I only trust things that register on one of the five senses I can verify."
        I looked admiringly at her. She really was very pretty, and obviously had a nice mind to go with it. She looked at me sideways and I realized that I was staring.
        "What?" She asked defensively
I shifted uncomfortably and stammered.
        "Um, it’s that…well, it’s just that I’ve never met anyone like you before."
She raised her eyebrows.
        "Oh, no! I meant that in a good way. I mean…" My face was on fire. I was being such an idiot. But I had never had to deal with someone of the opposite sex that I was attracted to. Actually, I think that I’d had my nose in a book too much to ever have been attracted to anyone before. That is, except for Ms. Simmons, my third grade teacher. She had understood me, but she had gotten married to a visiting shaman and moved to Yemen at the end my school year. I was heartbroken, of course. But now was not the time to reminisce. Now was the time to make a quick comeback.
        I opened my mouth again, but she got there first. "I know what you meant."
        "I’m sorry. I guess I just can’t do anything right." I buried my head in my hands.
        "No, no. It’s okay, really." She smiled reassuringly.
        I felt better, so of course I had to open my big mouth again and screw it all up. "Thanks. Um, maybe we could have dinner sometime?" Where the hell had that come from? She would never go out with me. And even if, by some miracle of miracles, she did, I had never gone on a date before.
        She put the ‘copter on autopilot and turned in her seat towards me, her expression serious.
        "I don’t think so." She said gently. "I’m sorry."
        Oh God, she hated me! I knew it. What was there to like, anyway? I bit my lip. "I understand. You don’t like me. Or is it because I’m younger?"
        She put her hand on mine. "No, it’s not like that. It has nothing to with age" I should’ve known, she had a boyfriend, of course. "And I’m not involved, either." She said, reading my mind.
        "You’re a fine young man. Handsome, and smart, and sweet. Any girl would be lucky to go out with you, and I’m honored and flattered by your attention, but…"
        "Let’s just be friends?"
        "Yeah." She twisted uncomfortably. "It’s not for the reasons you think. I really do like you, but…"
        "I’m not your type?"
        "Actually, yes. I’m afraid my type is of the alien persuasion. I guess it’s that I’m married to my work for the Taelons. They are my life, and I don’t want anything else. It may be silly, but that’s how I feel. It has nothing to do with you. It’s all me." She blushed. It suited her. "I just realized that everything I’ve said is totally cliché-y."
        "Well, not the alien part." I put in.
        "True." She patted my cheek softly. "I really do like you, though. And I really do want to be friends."
        I smiled. Jen had actually managed to make me feel good about my first rejection, although I would never be so bold again. Not that I had meant to be bold. It had just sort of slipped out.
        "Thanks." I said. "Friends it is."
        "Good." Jen said sincerely. She squeezed my hand and went back to flying the craft.

        We flew the rest of the way in a companionable silence. The trip only took about another hour or so, and it really was a beautiful day, so I enjoyed the flight. I had never been in a helicopter before, and it was kind of fun, even though I was nervous about what was coming. We landed on a little pad in clearing in some forest. I had no idea where we were, but it didn’t look like a training facility to me. There was a bench and a dirt road, and a whole group of kids my age were milling around. There were also two military officers, sans implants. I turned to Jen, who was just jumping out of the helicopter.
        "Wow, I guess you weren’t kidding about the lack of Volunteers. Care to tell me where we are?"
        She hit my shoulder, lightly. "This isn’t the training center. And no, I don’t care to tell you where we are. It’s not something we publicize, you know. You have to take a bus from here."
        "Why didn’t we just fly there?" I inquired.
        "Because craft are not allowed to fly over the base. Except for Taelon shuttles, that is. And only if they have authorization. Trust me, they want all their Volunteers to come home safe and sound. All lot of people don’t trust us, and it won’t help our case if someone gets hurt when some wacko drops a bomb, hoping to knock off a few aliens."
        "Oh." It made sense, of course, but I just kept forgetting that anyone would want to hurt the Taelons. To me, it was unfathomable. "Are you coming, too?"
        "Nope. Sorry. My assignment’s in Washington. But we’ll see each other now and again." Jen withdrew a slip of paper from an almost invisible pocket in her jumpsuit and wrote something on it. She folded it handed it to me. "This is my name, global contact number, and a little something to make you smile. Call me in eight weeks, when they let you out of their sight. Oh, your bus is here, you’d better go." She gave me a hug. "Bye. And good luck!" She turned and ran back to the helicopter.
        I stared after her and then ran to join the other new Volunteers. We were told to stow our bags under the bus, but I grabbed my journal before that. The trip took about two hours and no one really talked much. It was about an even split between men and women, but it was as silent as a tomb, except for the bumping of the bus on the rough road. After a few minutes I remembered Jen’s paper. I unfolded it and read: "Jennifer Forsyth. 73219233010293. Just remember, wherever you go, there you are."
        I did smile. I folded the paper back up, put it in my pocket, and tried to get some rest. I dozed on and off, but I was wide-awake by the time we reached the training center. I was the last one out of the van, so I got to look around a bit before we had to line up. All I could see was a grassy field, a parking lot, some buildings and what looked like a very complex obstacle course. Once we were out of the bus, one of the officers who had picked us up told us to line up. We did, some of us slouching casually, some, like me, standing at military attention.
        A man with an implant, who looked so much like the stereotype of a drill sergeant that it was ludicrous, walked up and down the line inspecting us.
        "Well, now this is an interesting bunch of recruits." He said when he was finished. "I can see that most of you have no idea what you’re getting in to. Make no mistake, this will be the hardest thing you will ever do. But it will also be the most rewarding. You will be given implants to sharpen your senses and your mental abilities. Soon you will be in the best physical shape of your life. You will learn to work as a team, you will make the closest friends you will ever have, friends who will last your entire life. We are your family now. Give us your loyalty, and the Taelons will take care of you, forever. In eight weeks you will be given the choice between taking assignments, or testing for special programs. Some of you may find yourselves on the mothership, and some will find yourselves talking to preschoolers. But whatever you do, you will be doing it for the Companions. Never forget that.
        "This is a four-year program. At the end of four years, you can leave them program. Or you can choose to stay in the Taelons service. We will find a place for you. As of now, the Taelons provide all your needs. All your belongs and possessions will be taken from you. You no longer need anything from the outside world."
        The man walked over to a girl, obviously the youngest one here, and yanked a stuffed animal, a Teletubbie, out of her arms. She looked like she wanted to cry, but to her credit, she didn’t. I briefly wondered what the Taelons were going to do with a Teletubbie.
        "You will address me as Major Kremmin, or Sir" The man continued. "Now, you will be taken to bunks, ten people per room. Whoever else is in your room will be on your team for the next eight weeks, at a minimum. On and around your beds you will find whatever you are going to need. You will change into the clothes provided and put whatever else you have on you in the bin at the end of the room. Clothes, watches, jewelry, books." He looked sternly at my journal, which I still clutched. "In a half an hour, report to the main building at the center of the compound. Now move."
        We were pointed toward the nearest building. Inside, we found four rooms, ten cots in each. I picked the first one on the left, randomly. I went over to the first cot I saw. There was a plain blue jumpsuit, a pair of boots, a holster (no global or weapon) with a pouch for whatever, and a black jacket. There was even regulation underwear. I wondered what they would do with my duffel and stuff. I looked around the room and saw that all the other cots were already claimed. There were four girls and five other guys, all ranging from sixteen to twenty-two.
        We all glanced at each other uncomfortably. There was no place of privacy in which we could change. I guess they really meant for us to get real close, real fast. A tall, handsome guy of about nineteen who looked like the captain of the school football team or something, spoke up first.
        "Okay, I don’t like this either, but there’s nothing to be done. Why don’t the girls take that end?" He pointed towards the side of the room farthest from the door. "And we’ll all just have to promise not to ogle or anything. Alright?"
We all nodded. A tall Asian girl put her hand his arm.
        "Thanks, Timothy." She said softly. Then she raised her voice. "Alright, girls, let’s get this over with. And let’s keep our eyes to ourselves, men and women alike." She herded the others over to their corner, and we all respectfully turned our backs.
        I got down to the business of trying to figure out how to put the clothes on. The jumpsuit didn’t seem to have a zipper or anything. When I touched the collar, it fell open in a split down the back. Well, that solves one problem.
      I stripped quickly and put on the jumpsuit, boots, and holster. They fit perfectly. When I looked around, everyone else was fully clothed and looking much relieved. The jumpsuits had seemed identical, but I guessed they molded to fit the wearer. We started to bundle our old clothes and dropped them in the bin. I was last. Before I threw mine in, I fished Jen’s number out of my pocket and stuck it in the holster’s pouch. Then I dropped my clothes and journal in the hamper. I hated to let my diary go, but I had to obey the Taelons’ order. They knew what they were doing. Then I remembered the chain around my neck. I just couldn’t let it go. I looked around to make sure no one was watching and tucked it under the collar of my jumpsuit, making sure that it didn’t make a visible lump.
        The guy that the Asian girl had addressed as Timothy again spoke up. "Well, I guess we should be getting over to the building, huh?"
        The Asian girl nodded. "Okay, let’s go" She said, and she and Timothy led the way. I fell in to step next to a compact blond guy, about my age. He grinned at me.
        "This is gonna be great, huh? A real adventure."
        I smiled back. "Yeah. I hope."
        He extended his hand. "Hi. I’m Steve."
        I shook it. "David."
        "Nice to meet you, Dave. Man, I’m starved. I can’t wait for dinner."
        "David." I said softly.
        "What?"
        "It’s David, not Dave."
        "Doesn’t anyone ever call you anything else?"
        "No."
        "Not even your Mom?"
        "No. Never."
        "Wow. Well, whatever. David it is."

        We chatted for awhile, and Steve seemed nice enough, although he struck me as a daredevil from the start. At the main building, we gathered with about 100 others an orientation talk, and a little bit about what we’d be doing. They told us they would be selecting team leaders after chow. Dinner did not have meat in it (The Taelons don’t believe in it.), but it wasn’t identifiable, either. No one ate much, except for Steve who seemed to be a bottomless pit.
        Timothy was chosen as team leader, which was fine with us. He seemed like a nice guy, and he obviously knew how to take charge. We were sent back to our rooms at about sunset, and were told that this would be the last full night of sleep we’d get for two months, so we’d better enjoy it. They woke us up at four a.m.
        The training was intense, but we did well. We fell easily into a chain of command. Timothy was the leader, and the Asian girl, Pei Li was the unofficial second in command. Then there was Tim’s left-hand man, Jack who seemed like he had it out for me. There were some personality conflicts, and two people, a guy and a girl, weren’t prepared for the difficulty level, but Tim knew how to encourage us, and in team exercises he made sure he gave us each assignments that matched our skills. Soon, we were one of the best teams. All those talks Dad had given me about his time in the Army came in handy, because I knew how to stand at attention and shout ‘Yes, sir’ like a good soldier. I never got into any trouble. Steve had a few problems, but nothing major enough for him to get kicked out. I think he was just lucky. I felt right at home, actually, despite the hard work. Like I said, I’d never had any friends before, so it felt good to have people who cared about me.
        It didn’t matter that I was exhausted all the time, or that I was being pushed beyond the limits of my strength, or even that the food was revolting and that Major Kremmin apparently wanted to kill me. All that matter was that I was part of a team who was serving the Taelons.
        After four weeks of brutal torture, we finally got implants. WOW. My entire perspective was changed. Everything was sharper, brighter, deeper. It was like I had been living in a fog my whole life, and the sun had just come up and cleared it away. Also, I could remember every detail of everything I saw from the moment I received the implant. The doctor who was implanting us mentioned that they were working on a way to give the Volunteers skrill, while not giving them a CVI.
        "Whoa, what a trip!" Steve said excitedly.
        "Yeah," I said, preoccupied.
        "I wonder what skydiving would be like with one of these?" He commented.
        "What?"
        He shook his head. "Never mind, man."

        We trained for the next month with the implant until it seemed like I’d always had one. At the end of that time, we all had to go register for whether we wanted to get posted, or join a special program. You can guess which I picked. When I got my sheet, I checked the box for "ID shuttle training" so enthusiastically that I almost broke my pencil. All of my team signed up for immediate assignments, except a quiet girl named Sari. She wanted to train for a recruitment job.
        The next day, I took and aptitude test and I guess I passed, because my name was on the board as a shuttle trainee. The rest of my team all got plum postings, mostly in Taelon embassies. Pei Li got the best by far, a position on the mothership, with a chance at a command spot in under a year.
            I was told that I had a day to myself, as long as I stayed on the base, and was issued a global and a weapon with the rest of the graduating trainees. I went to a little clearing that I had found during some time off. The most surprising thing about Volunteers training was that they gave us an hour to ourselves each day. The Taelon’s believe that everyone should have sometime alone each day. They call it their Reflection Time.
           In the clearing was a fallen log. I sat and dug through my pouch for Jen’s number. It had fallen to the bottom, but it was still there. I opened my global and punched it in, realizing that I wouldn’t need to have it written down any more, now that I had my implant. The connection took awhile, but finally I got through and Jen’s pretty face appeared on the screen. She smiled when she saw me.
           "David! Hi!" She said excitedly. "So, you’re done with training, huh? How’d you like it?"
   I grinned back. "It was tough, but I didn’t mind."
        "Bet not."
        "So, how you doing?" I asked. We talked for about half an hour and I filled her in on what was happening. She told me that she was being transferred to the mothership.
        "Oh." I said.
        "But we’ll still get to see each other, sometime." She sensed my disappointment. "Tell you what: When we both have some time off, you can take me out to dinner. As friends. Okay?"
        I nodded, and we continued the conversation.
        "Hey, I gotta go." She said after awhile. "I’m supposed to be having my Reflection time now. Hopefully we’ll get to see each other after you’re done."
        "Yeah. Well, ‘bye."
        "Bye, babe." She broke the link and I realized I still had a bit of a crush on her.
       
        The next day, I started with shuttle training. At first, I didn’t even near a shuttle. It was all just technical stuff. I didn’t do too well with the mathematics of it all, but I blundered through. Then we moved on to simulations. It was hard dealing with controls you couldn’t see or feel. I could do it, but barely. It took a lot out of me and wasn’t anything like what I’d expected.
        Finally, after 7 months of training, the big day arrived. My instructor told me we were going for a flight. Just a regular flight, no ID, but at least I was getting out.
        It was so different. The real thing was nothing like the sim. I knew where everything was, and I could feel what I was supposed to do. It was the easiest thing I’d ever done. The instructor was amazed.
        "Are you sure you’re David Rossi? Because from what’s on the record, I’d have predicted that you wouldn’t hardly be able to get this girl off the ground."
        "Yes sir," I said, while making a close turn. "I’m David Rossi."
        "Well, son, you know what you’re doing, but I don’t. I’ve seen lots of people train for these, and some of the most unlikely ones make it or fail, but I’ve never seen anything like this. You were two steps away from washing out, and now you’re taking to it like a fish to water."
        That was an understatement. I rocketed from the last in my class to the first. Within three more months I had earned a rating of 9, the highest rating that a human can physically reach. I don’t know what it was, I just breezed on through. I didn’t even have to think about it. I learned that Jen had been right, it did require a sixth sense, which I evidently have. I also learned that I can’t fly anything human-make to save my life. Go figure.
        Once I had my rating, I basically had my pick of assignments. And Mom and Dad had thought I would never amount to anything. I told my superiors that I would be happy with anything that would have me in contact with the Taelons themselves. They were only too happy to oblige. I was, naturally, thrilled with my achievement, but the little things are the ones that make life most pleasurable. Major Kremmin was all of a sudden being nice to me.
        I was assigned to the North American Companion embassy. I was ecstatic. More than a year after joining the Volunteers, I still hadn’t met a Taelon face to face, and Da’an was a special hero of mine.
        I reported to the embassy immediately. My job would be to fly whoever or whatever I was told, wherever I was told, without asking questions. I figured I could do that. Not more than a week after I arrived, I was told that Da’an needed a shuttle pilot for a trip to the mothership. Perfect. I would get to meet Da’an, and see Jen. I hadn’t seen her in nearly half a year, and I still had a bit of thing for her. Well, all right, more than a bit.
        One of the other Volunteers assigned to the building came in to my room just as I was suiting up.
        "Hey, Da’an wants you."
        "Really?" I squeaked.
        "Yes. He said something about wanting to meet his talented young pilot before they took off."
        I stood up so fast I nearly fell down. "Coming!" I followed the Volunteer out the door at a run. When reached Da’an’s office I stopped, straightened myself out, and prayed to God that I wouldn’t do anything stupid.
        The Volunteer entered first, and I was right behind him. "Da’an, Pilot David Rossi, rating 9, as you requested." He said.
        The American Companion was standing on a raised platform in the center of a furniture-less room. He was breathtaking. That’s the only way to describe him. He radiated an aura of peace, tranquility, and above all, wisdom.
        "Oh, brave new world, that hath such people in’t" I said, under my breath. Da’an stepped off the platform, moving with grace that came naturally. He greeted me in the traditional Taelon fashion, and I hastily returned the salute, cursing myself for forgetting the most basic of manners.
        "It’s a pleasure to meet you." He said in a musical voice. "Few so young have distinguished themselves so well." He turned to the Volunteer. "Leave us. I would like to speak with Mr. Rossi alone." The Volunteer gave an awkward Taelon salute and left the room. Da’an turned back towards me.
        "May I call you David?" He asked. I nodded wordlessly. "David, you said something when you first entered that I do not understand. Can you explain this?"
He meant the quote that had automatically leapt to my mouth the moment I had seen him    
        "Yes, sir." I cleared my suddenly bone-dry throat. "Hundreds of years ago, a playwright named William Shakespeare wrote many plays, which are now considered to be the best human literature has to offer. In one of them, The Tempest, a man and his daughter are stranded on and island for many years. She grows up without ever having seen another human than her father, who is old and failing. Suddenly, a shipwreck brings several other men to the island, all young and handsome. When she sees them, she exclaims, ‘O, wonder! How many goodly creatures are there here! How beauteous mankind is! O brave new world, that has such people in't!’ " I’ve always loved Shakespeare, and the Tempest had been my favorite since I was a boy.
        Da’an gave a little half-smile of private amusement. "I see. Then you have complimented me greatly, I think. Thank you."
        "Thank you, sir. It has been an honor serving the Taelons." I said sincerely.
        "Please, I am Da’an. Nothing else." The Companion turned away and walked over to an expansive window with a view of Washington. "As you know, I am very interested in understanding humans. However, I have not yet found one of your species that I can talk with at length, who will teach me what I need to know. Perhaps you are that human. Will you help me to understand you?"
        I was taken aback. Stunned. Shocked. On the verge of fainting. "Um, I would be honored to try to help with anything I can, but if I may ask a question…" He dipped his head in acknowledgement. "Why me?"
        "Because." He said. "You seem to have a great love for my people, as well as a great knowledge of yours. You are young. The young can often see things that the older dismiss. And I, I am very, very old."
        My head was still reeling. "What do you want me to do?" I asked, unsure of how to proceed, and hoping I did not offend him with my bluntness.
        Da’an motioned for me to join him at the window. "What are the things that you have found most meaningful in your life’s path?" He asked.
        I thought. "Books." I said. "Books are a sort of compilation of the all the wonderful ideas and emotions we have."
        "Ah." He said. "So it was with us, before the Commonality. Now we share all concepts as one. But perhaps there is something in that other way. I have not read your books. I must remedy this, quickly. It was a severe oversight on my part, and that of my peers." He got a far away look in his eyes for a moment and then said. "It’s time to go. We will finish this later. Will you meet me in the gardens tomorrow morning?"
        "Of course, Da’an." I answered, in awe.
        The trip was wonderful. I got to catch up with Jen, and I got the grand tour of the mothership. The next day, back on earth, I met Da’an in the garden as he had requested. He was sitting on a bench by a fountain. Next to him was a beautifully bound book.
        "Please, David, sit." I did and he picked up the book and handed it to me. "Will you read this to me?" he asked.
        Once again, I was stunned. This seemed to be a reoccurring theme for me. "Of course…But why? I mean, wouldn’t it be simpler to have it translated into Eunoia? Or get it as a book on tape, or have someone summarize it for you?"
        "Perhaps." He answered, tipping his head to one side. "But much is lost in translation or in a summary. And I believe it will be better, so that I may ask you the meaning of things or your opinion on a topic. It is painful for me to read your langauge at any length, our mind do not interpret things in that two-dimensional way. I will, of course, download the contents of earth’s libraries into the Commonality files for easy access, but I would like to hear it for myself. You do not mind?"
        "Oh, no! Not at all." Once again, the Taelon’s depth and insight amazed me. "I would be delighted and honored." Now there was the understatement of the year. I looked at the spine of the book. Gulliver’s Travels.
        "I have been told that it is a good insight into human nature." He said, in answer to my raised eyebrows.
        "Yes, it is." I replied. I opened the book, took a deep breath and began. " ‘Part I: A voyage to Lilliput. In which the Author giveth some Account of himself and family; his first inducements to travel. His is shipwrecked, and swims for his life; gets safe on shoar in the Country of Lilliput; is made a Prisioner, and carried up the Country…’ "
        And so it went, Da’an stopping me often for discussion or clarification.
        The weeks and months sped by. I flew missions every few days, some with passengers, Human or Taelon, some with cargo. Sometimes I didn’t know who or what I was carrying, but it didn’t matter, really. In between missions, Da’an and I read. We went through all the great works, and I found that from Da’an’s questions I understood them better than I had before. It was a totally fresh perspective. Sometimes his questions were childlike, and sometimes they were so complex that I wasn’t even sure of the theories behind them. I learned so much.
        I always flew the same shuttle, and she was a nice one. A lot of Taelon stuff is based on biotechnology, but their ships are almost exclusively energy. You hear about those sailors or airplane pilots who are convinced that their craft have personalities and preferences, but you don’t really believe it. I never did, until I got my own ship. I named her Galadriel, after the wise and swift elfin queen, and I know she had a personality. She doesn’t fly right for anyone else.
        My life was full, and I was content. The only source of sadness was that my parents couldn’t understand what I was doing and why.
        One night, while I was writing in my journal (The new one I had started after I finished basic training), Da’an appeared at my door. I had been assigned to the embassy for about eight months and he had never come to see me. Not when I was in my room. Once or twice he had come and found me in the gardens, or when I was out taking care of Galadriel. I knew right away that something was wrong. I started to get up, but he motioned for me to stay. He came in and sat down at the foot of the bed.
          I looked at him, afraid to say anything for a moment. Finally, I whispered, "What is it?"
        "I understand that you were close to a Volunteer named Jennifer Forsyth." He said gently.
My throat choked up, and I nodded.
        "Then I fear I must inform you that she has been killed in the line of duty." He watched as the impact of his statement hit me. My face twisted, and tears began to run.
        "What happened?" I choked out. I had to know.
        "She was in a Taelon facility when it was bombed by a radical arm of the Resistance. She escaped, but she went back in to rescue a trapped trainee. She died of her injuries before she could be taken to a hospital." He looked at me intently. "I’m sorry." He said after a moment.
        I’d never lost someone before, not to death. I lost my parents to ignorance, but that wasn’t the same. I tried to compose myself, but I just didn’t know how to deal with it.
        "I don’t understand." Da’an said softly.
        "What?" I asked, wiping my eyes.
        "I know that crying is something your people do when they are upset, but Ms. Forsyth has embraced the void, while saving a life and serving both our peoples. For Taelons, that is not a sad occasion."
        I sniffed. "It’s not the same for us. It’s just different. Have you ever lost a friend?"
        He looked surprised. "No, I have not. None has left the Commonality since before I came to existence."
        "When a human dies, her friends are left, mourning. It always hits us hard. I’m not sure whether we cry for those who go, or for those who are left behind. But it’s something that changes you forever. You can’t understand. We do not embrace the void. We don’t know what happens to us."
        "I see." Da’an said. "I must think on this. I will leave you to rest now."
He walked out thoughtfully, and I lay down on the bed and buried my head in the pillow. Blessedly, sleep came quickly.
        I grieved for Jen for a long time. In some ways, I still grieve for her. Later, when Da’an’s friend and Protector, William Boone was killed, he told me that he now understood what loss meant. I know he grieved for Boone, maybe more than anyone else.
        Life returned to normal, eventually. I got used to Jen not being there when I had leave time, and not being able to call her when I had some news or trouble. It was hard, but I survived. I had to. The next year and a half went by much too quickly, and soon my promised time as a Volunteer was nearly at an end.
        The night before my 22 birthday, Da’an called me to his office.
        When I came, he was looking out over the city, as he often did. I entered quietly, so as not to disturb him. Even though I was sure I had not made a sound, he knew I was there. He turned and walked over to his chair and sat down.
        "David," He began. "I wish to speak with you at length. You have served me well for the past two years. You have been a friend to me, the first human friend I have had. Also, you have helped me to understand your people, and that is more valuable than you can ever know, for both our peoples. Much of what will happen over the next few years depends on my understanding how humans think, your will, determination, weaknesses, and strengths.
        "In addition to this, you have proven yourself an excellent shuttle pilot, exceeding most others of both our species. You have been loyal, brave, and dutiful. You have many times demonstrated a love and understanding of my race that few others possess. Bridging the gaps is no mean feat, and you have done so with apparent ease and joy.
        "Tomorrow, you will have been in our service for four years. Your time as a Volunteer will be over, and you will have no more obligation to work for us. You will be free to go."
        I swallowed hard.
        "But you do not have to." He continued. "I sincerely urge you to stay with us. We would be most pleased to have you with us for as long as you wish to be."
        He looked at me intently. My heart leapt. I thought he had asked me here to politely dismiss me. I coughed nervously.
        "Da’an, I will serve the Taelons for as long as I have breath, if you will have me." I was completely sincere. These people had given me a home, skills, and purpose, not to mention what they had done for my world. How could I refuse? Why would I want to?
        Da’an gave his now-familiar half-smile. "This is good. I personally would miss your presence."
        "Thank you." I said, deeply moved.
        "Since you have decided to stay, I will tell you that your assignment will be of an entirely different nature than it has been." I raised my eyebrows. Entirely different? "You would be a Protector, if you agree."
        Oh. Entirely different. He continued. "You would receive a CVI, minus motivational imperative, and a skrill, but you would also act as pilot. You would be the Protector of an extremely important personage, whose safety would be the utmost priority. Your life would revolve around the survival of this Taelon."
        Who was he talking about? Zo’or? He had recently become head of the Synod after the tragic death of Qu’on. But I had thought that Agent Sandoval was his Protector. Was he speaking of himself? His Protector, William Boone, had died not long ago, but Major Kincaid seemed to be doing a good job in his new role.
        Da’an sensed my confusion. "You will be told when the time is right. First, do you agree?"
        I nodded, dumbly.
        "Excellent. Tomorrow, you will receive your new implant, and then you will meet your assignment." He walked back over to the window. "I will miss our reading sessions." He said, thoughtfully, after a moment.
        I blinked. "Will we not be able to continue them, despite my new assignment?"
        "David, I very much think that you will ‘have you hands full’, as the expression goes." He seemed to be enjoying a private joke. "You should rest now."
        I left his office in a daze. Rest. Right. A Protector. Me. That was almost too much for my mind to comprehend. I had come so far. Joining the Volunteers had been the best decision of my life. I just wished my parents could share it with me. I hadn’t talked to them since I had left. I knew it wouldn’t matter to Dad whether I was scrubbing floors, or in the highest position of responsibility, but Mom would be proud.
        I went to my room and lay down, but I couldn’t sleep. When my global rang the nest morning, I was still wide-awake. I went to one of the Taelon medical labs for the procedure. Taking out the old implant didn’t hurt, but everything was so strange without it. I didn’t have time get reacquainted with the general fuzziness of the world, because Dr. Belman said it would be best to get it done all at once.
        I’ve always liked Dr. Belman, she seems like such a kind person. There were some terrible rumors circulating that she was a Resistance sympathizer, but that was ludicrous. Anyone could see that she was completely loyal to the Taelons. The rumors died down, anyway.
        In any case, the CVI procedure was totally different than getting the Volunteer implant. It hurt, for one thing. Really hurt. But, the clarity was back. After an hour, it didn’t feel too different than my old one, except that it was better. I was faster, smarter, and more perceptive than I had ever been before. This was definitely an upgrade. I adjusted faster than most, Dr. Belman told me, because my metabolism and brain were already familiar with the biotechnology.
        Dr. Belman told me that they had discovered that the motivational imperative was primarily what caused the premature breakdowns of the implants that other Protectors had experienced. That was the reason that it had been removed from mine.
        "Without the MI, your implant should last as long as you do, if not longer." She explained. "Da’an said that your job was too vital to be risk a sudden breakdown, no matter how unlikely it seems. Besides, you don’t need the MI. You practically worship the Taelons." She commented with a smile.
        Once I got control of the implant, it was time to get a skrill. That hurt, too, but only for a second. It was also much stranger than the CVI. For all its differences, the CVI was still an implant. But the skrill…it was like there was another consciousness in me. Not like there was a new personality in my head, or anything, but more like there was a presence all around me that was also part of me. I don’t think it’s explainable, really. Even with all the strangeness, by the end of the day it was second nature, and the odd presence had retreated into the background and settled comfortably in a corner of my mind.
        Dr. Belman ordered me to bed once she was done, and sure that I wasn’t going to have an annurism. This time I slept, like a log, but the dreams I had…They weren’t my own. I don’t know how I knew, but they were just alien. I can’t even remember what they were; I couldn’t even process them. It sent a chill up and down my spine.
        I stayed in my room for about two hours, reading. I felt really strange. Not bad strange, but odd strange. I kind of fazed out and I fell off the bed when my global chimed. Da’an called me personally, for the first time telling me too be in his office "as soon as the physics of this universe will allow". I rushed out of the room and ran down the hall, crashing into people as I ran and muttering apologies. I prayed really hard that I wouldn’t run into Captain Marquette, Agent Sandoval, or Zo’or.
        I skidded to a stop at the entrance to Da’an’s office, composed myself and walked in. Da’an was standing on the platform, and as I entered he gracefully stretched out his hand toward the window. I tracked it, and there, I beheld the most wondrous sight I had ever seen…

To be continued…