The Stranger
An Earth - Final Conflict Christmas story by Tina Price
(TinaP@prodigy.net)
Original Story Ideas ©1998, Tina Price. All rights reserved.

Preview: An unexpected visitor unintentionally brings hope to those who have gone so long without...

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: Earth - Final Conflict, all characters and images therein, as well as story elements put forth in the series are the property of the Tribune Entertainment Company. Several characters appearing in this story are my own creation. Any similarity with anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Authors notes: Happy Holidays to everyone!  This story owes a huge nod to "The Gift of the Magi", a short story written by O. Henry. My personal thanks to my good friend, Janet Spruill White for serving as my Beta. As always, I am in no way receiving 'privileged information'. Any advice, criticism and kudos are always welcomed. Please contact me at the above e-mail address. Yes folks, that is a picture of Leni Parker below. I took it from a movie called Bleeders. I don't remember which company owns it, but I just plugged the movie, so I hope they forgive my use of the pic. The line which Boone reads is from "The Left Hand of Darkness", written and copywrited by Ursula K. LeGuin and published by the Walker Publishing Company, Inc.


The Stranger
 
 
 
        "Da'an, where are you off to?" the security guard asked the departing Taelon.
        "I have things I must attend to."
        "I see. Like doing some last minute Christmas shopping for a gift for the Commander?" the guard smiled.
        Da'an merely smiled slightly, unwilling to either confirm or deny the guard's guess. As she passed by him and through the double doors that led to the elevator, he spoke again.
        "I won't tell anyone you left unless they ask, but be careful out there. The snow is falling faster now and the weathermen are saying it could get bad."
        "Thank you." Without further ado, she entered the lift and by the time she exited it in the church's basement, she wore her Dana disguise. Climbing the steps which led to the vestibule, she paused for a moment to watch the many humans who had collected within the sacred structure. The late afternoon sunlight shone through the stained glass windows, lighting the aisle with splashes of pleasing color and the candles around the periphery flickered with soft light, making moving patterns upon the walls.
        Although she did not believe as these worshippers did, she often frequented the church in the dead of night, finding a peace and tranquility within its walls. She found it an excellent place to meditate upon her changed life and sometimes, though not often, she actually arrived earlier, relishing the opportunity to sit amongst the humans and observe their own meditations. She was still empathic enough to pick up on their tranquility or agitation and would often seek out the most depressed or distressed, touching their hand at an unexpected moment and calming them with her touch.
        Boone had cautioned her against doing such a thing except on rare occasions, for he feared that she would one day attract too much attention to herself, but she found it difficult to ignore those whose minds cried out in pain.
        Buttoning her long, woolen coat and winding her scarf firmly about her neck, she turned and ventured out the front doors, stopping on the top step to take in the spectacular view of the snow-covered cityscape. The white precipitation was falling at a steady rate, the large flakes chilling her head and clinging to her coat. Still, it was good to be free of the underground fortress, even if only for a short while.
        William had headed out less than an hour ago and she knew he planned on purchasing some gift or other for her as part of the holiday tradition. Little did he guess that she planned on presenting him with a gift as well. In her possession was an item which Agent Sandoval had managed to obtain from her chamber upon the mothership. he had passed it to Liam, who had delivered it safely to its owner.
        Reaching into the small shoulder bag she carried, she ran her hands over the hard, carefully wrapped memory sphere. It was the last one in her possession and one of the very last left aboard the home ship. All the remaining spheres were now for exclusive use by the Synod - their sole means of sending news back to their home world in any speedy manner.
        Da'an surmised that the item would fetch a decent enough price to enable her to purchase something appropriate for her love.
        With a small smile upon her face, she moved off in the direction of a nearby bus stop. She planned on visiting a local mall and then walking down the street to a small group of shops which included an antique bookstore.

 

 
        Boone sat in the food court of a mall in nearby Alexandria and sighed as he pushed his salad around on his plate. He had scoured every inch of the place and still had not found anything appropriate. What did one buy for one's alien lover anyway? As well as he felt that he knew Da'an, he had no idea of where to begin in the gift selection process. She showed absolutely no interest in material possessions outside of the collection of memorabilia she had compiled during visits to many alien worlds, but that collection now resided somewhere within the bowels of the embassy which Zo'or now called his own. The only thing she had managed to have rescued, which could be called a personal possession, had been an unused memory sphere. She had shown it to him the night that Liam had returned it, explaining its purpose and how rare it now was.
        That had been two weeks ago. Since then, she had kept it upon a carefully coiled piece of material atop the old dresser they shared.
        Wait a minute... Suddenly standing, he carried his tray to a trash receptacle and then headed back toward the nearest escalators. He knew exactly what to get her.
 
 
        Dr. Nivian Ibraham stood before the fountain in the snow covered embassy garden and simply delighted in the view and the fat, sticky flakes which clung to her hair and lashes. It was cold out and the wind was picking up, rendering her sweater nearly useless. Still, she wrapped her arms about herself and remained where she was as the sun slowly sank below the horizon, causing the snow to almost glow in the dimming light.
        She still could not believe that things were as they were.
        After Da'an had led her back to Zo'or, she had been whisked back to the embassy, where, in the privacy of the Synod Leader's chamber, they had finally bonded - completely. The truth had finally come out - Zo'or had not betrayed her. He had lied to Quo'on about using her research, when in fact, it had never been his intention to let Ne'eg make use of her carrier viruses. It was a case of his scheming going very awry.
        After the entire truth had been revealed, Zo'or had attempted to hold her close, feeling that everything was resolved, but...
        She had not been able to share the moment. Still confused, still mentally scarred by her long ordeal, she had withdrawn, telling him that she needed time to herself. He had not protested, merely nodding and telling her that she could have the chamber next to his own.
        That had been six weeks ago.
        Since then, she had made a great deal of progress, thanks in part to Da'an's and Boone's counseling during her confinement. Each had spent a great deal of time with her, reassuring her, letting her know that she could overcome this situation, that she had a say in her own future. She and Zo'or had spent time together each day, awkward in their attempts to reassure each other that they did care about what the other was going through, but they had not shared a single embrace, nor had they even shared.
        He had been incredibly patient, never pushing her and actually keeping her company during most of her meals. Once, she had awakened to find him sitting beside her bed, content to simply watch over her...
        A snowflake blew in her eye, jolting her back to the present. She had awakened this morning, suddenly feeling like her old self, and had avoided Zo'or, instead spending the entire day thinking about what her life should be from here on out. Now, with the sun down and the snow falling faster, she felt cleansed in some strange way.
        The Holidays were nearly here, followed close behind by a new year. She would make it a year to remember and in the meantime...
        "Nivian..."
        She turned to find Zo'or standing behind her, a coat held in his hands. Draping it about her shoulders, he wrapped his arms about her and held her close.
        "You are cold. Please come inside now before you harm yourself."
        She leaned back against him and shivered slightly, only now feeling the chill. "It's beautiful," she said. "The first snow of the year. It makes me feel new."
        "We are new," he whispered.
        Turning in his arms, she hugged him, causing him to stiffen slightly in surprise before he seemed to melt against her. "I love you," she murmured. "and I think that this could turn out to be the best Holiday ever..."
        He looked down at her. "You know that I do not celebrate..."
        "I don't expect you to. I was speaking for myself. Hanukkah begins tomorrow at sunset and although I have not celebrated for many years, I wish to make arrangements to do so this year. Please allow me to visit my old Synagogue and speak with a Rabbi."
        "Of course."
        "Let's be going then!"
        He frowned. "The weather is turning bad. Perhaps we'd best wait until tomorrow morning..."
        "No! I can't afford to wait! Besides... you have a limo and a shuttle can pull us out of almost any stranding situation which might arise."
        He attempted to look stern, but as she stared at him, his face finally relaxed. "Very well. Let us go inside and make our arrangements."
        Together, they left the garden.
 
 
        Hours after having arrived, Da'an exited the front of the mall, frustrated beyond belief, for she had not found anything which seemed appropriate to gift William with! She made to head in the direction of the bookstore when the it dawned on her that the street was nearly deserted. Snow was piled high along the road as well as in the parking lots where the snow plows had passed and it didn't appear as though the buses were running - no one was waiting at the stop.
        In confusion, she turned and looked behind her. People were fairly swarming out of the mall, heading for their cars and leaving. One woman noted her lost look and stopped for a moment.
        "They're ordering people off the streets," she explained. "Bus service was canceled an hour ago and the mall and many stores are closing early. You'd better get home before you end up stuck somewhere."
        "I... was planning to visit the shops down the road," Da'an admitted. "It's relatively important."
        "I'll be glad to give you a lift there."
        "I thank you." Da'an smiled at the woman, cheered by her friendly demeanor. Together they walked to the car, and in no time at all, Da'an found herself standing before the bookstore, again thanking the woman for her thoughtfulness.
        "Don't mention it," she replied with a wave of her hand. "Just be careful - and don't wait too long before heading home!" With some slipping and sliding, she managed to drive off as the disguised Taelon turned and entered the shop.
        "Good evening," the proprietor greeted her. "I'll be glad to help you with something, but you should know that we'll be closing in thirty minutes."
        "May I... look around?" she asked.
        "Be my guest. The rare books are upstairs. If you'd like to see any of them close up, yell down to me and I'll unlock the case."
        With a nod she headed up the stairs.
 
 
        "What do you mean, my credit's denied?"
        "I'm sorry, Mr. Arrington, but it appears that the lines are all busy - the computer is unable to verify your card," the teller apologized, looking embarrassed. "I'm afraid that it's been like this on and off all evening. If you wait a bit, we could try again."
        Boone looked at his watch. "I don't have time. This place is closing in about five minutes..." He bit his lip as he thought fast about his options. He could perhaps put some cash down to hold the gift... Just then, his eyes lit upon his watch. Given to him by his father, and having belonged to his grandfather before that, it was an antique. It's European craftsmanship made it a work of art - something of great monetary value as well as sentimental value. Still, it was something that belonged exclusively to him, unlike the bank account which Jonathan Doors had gifted him with. When all was said and done, the money was Doors', recompense for the fact that Boone could no longer access his own funds, which had been seized by the Taelons upon his apparent death.
        It seemed right and appropriate, that he purchase this particular gift by trading something of value to himself.
        By now, the store owner had wandered over and instantly noticed the watch as Boone eyed it. "I'll tell you what," he addressed the man. "I'll trade you this beauty for the hand crafted display stand."
        Removing the watch, he handed to the owner, who checked it over carefully. Looking up, he fixed Boone with a wide smile. "You have a deal, my friend," he beamed.
        A few minutes later, Boone left the shop, elated with the purchase he had made. The gift was perfect, well worth the sacrifice.
        And Da'an need never know about the watch.
 
 
        Da'an called a cab from the bookstore, having traded the globe to the owner for a first edition copy of an Ursula K. LeGuin book which Lili insisted she and Boone must someday read together and taxi fare home. The owner escorted her out to the waiting cab, still amazed by the fact that he had obtained such an item as a Taelon memory sphere. Da'an's demonstration had convinced him of its authenticity.
        Opening the cab door for her, the bookstore owner helped her in and was about to hand over her gift when a young boy of no more than ten sped by, snatching the bag out of his hands.
        "Thief!" the stunned man bellowed, turning to give chase. He headed off through the heavy snow, which was becoming blinding in its intensity and was quickly swallowed from sight.
        Exiting the taxi, Da'an asked the driver to wait.
        "Sorry lady, but I need to be getting home myself!"
        "Go then," she frowned at him.
        He quickly pulled away as she moved off in the direction that the boy had taken. He had something meant for William and she would retrieve it. The boy might elude the shop keeper, but he could not hide from her. His projection of both excitement and fear marked his trail as plain as day.
 
 
        The boy ran on as fast as his legs could take him, hoping that the package he had snatched contained a gift he could give his mother. He was well aware that the man he had taken it from was following, attempting to pick out his footprints in the snow, but the wind and the heavily falling snow would eventually lead him to give up the chase.
        Ducking between buildings, he made for a residential area and cut through several properties before heading back to the street he now sheltered on. Pausing in an alley, he waited to make certain that he had lost his pursuer and, as five minutes ticked by with nobody showing, he exited the other end and headed down the street.
        He had only gone a block when he passed another alley and nearly jumped out of his skin.
        A woman stood there, her form nearly hidden by the swirling snow, but there was something very unnatural about her... Though the wind blew her scarf, not a hair on her head was ruffled and about her head there seemed to be a halo of some sort, for the snow never seemed to touch her. Most disconcerting of all, in the dimness of the alleyway, her eyes glowed a vivid blue...
        "Why have you taken that which is not yours?" she asked calmly.
        Too frightened to even scream, he turned and bolted down the street, running for all he was worth. Although already tired, he moved at top speed all the way to the shelter and entering, he locked the door behind him.
        Two of his friends instantly met him.
        "Whoa! Have a little trouble?" Aaron asked.
        "Someone after you Tom?" Ginger likewise questioned him.
        "Come on," he gasped out and led them away from the entranceway and back towards the common room.
        The shelter was full again this night, people even sleeping on mats because there were no more cots. In a corner, many were gathered around a heater, for the room was quite chilly. Making certain that his mother hadn't spotted him, Tom led his friends into the kitchen area.
        "I just saw an angel," he confessed in hushed tones.
        Aaron laughed. "Yeah, right! You gonna ask her for a date?"
        "I'm serious! It was a REAL angel!"
        "Why would an angel ever appear to you?" Ginger scoffed.
        "It's mad at me. It asked me why I stole this." He indicated the bag, which Aaron immediately took from him.
        Sticking an arm in, the older boy withdrew and unwrapped a heavy object within. "A book?" He was incredulous. "You stole someone's book?"
        Tom wilted. "I didn't know what it was. I just wanted something for Mom. I'll return it to that store tomorrow..."
        "Return it? Are you crazy?" Ginger asked, as she exchanged looks with Aaron.
        "The angel! I HAVE to bring it back or I'll probably end up... you know..."
        "Listen man, there ain't no Santa Claus, there ain't no Devil and there definitely ain't no angels," Aaron sneered. "We all know that. Those are just stories meant to control our behavior. You were probably running too hard and saw something the wrong way."
        "I know what I saw..." Tom shivered. Rewrapping the book, he placed it back in the bag.
        "Let's go look outside and see if we can see the angel," Ginger suggested. "Maybe it'll appear to Tom again!"
        "You're such a baby! Haven't you heard what I said? There is no such thing as angels. Tom was seeing things!"
        With a pout, she turned and headed for the entranceway, but she was back within the minute.
        "Tom! Tom!" she yelled, as she burst back in. "She's out there!"
        "What?" both Tom and Aaron exclaimed.
        "It is an angel!" Ginger declared to Aaron. "and she's coming this way!"
        Together they made a dash for the front, coming to a shocked stop behind the front door. Through its glass, they could clearly see the apparition moving in a straight line for them, her eyes glowing calmly, her hair unruffled and a halo about her head where the snow simply vanished.
        Frozen in place, they watched with a strangely excited sense of dread, as she reached for the old doorknob. Her entire form glowed blue for an instant as she twisted it. There was a loud <crack> as the lock snapped and then the door blew inward.
        She stepped inside amid a flurry of snow and looked them over before closing the door behind her.

 

 
        Boone cursed when his attempt at rocking the car out of the snow failed again. He had made it back from Alexandria and had barely re-entered the DC limits when an icy patch had caused him to skid sideways into a deep drift. Now the car was well and truly caught and he was stranded without so much as a global. How could he have forgotten it, especially on a night like this?
        "I may not screw up often, but boy, when I do!" he grumbled under his breath. With a sigh, he picked up his shopping bag and exiting the car, locked it up tight. He'd come back for it with some help in the morning. In the meantime he didn't relish the long walk through the elements, but he needed to get somewhere warm - somewhere with a phone. Fortunately, he was on a well traveled road, so perhaps some kind soul would stop and offer him a ride...
 
 
        The three children stared as the apparition turned back around to face them and they found themselves quaking under the stern look she fixed them with.
        Without a word she held out her hand.
        "Uh...  the package..." Tom stammered. "It's in the back..." He turned and headed towards the back, surprised to see her following him while his friends in turn trailed a good fifteen feet behind her.
        She paused in the common room, staring sadly at those who were already huddled in their blankets or about the heater, and seemed not to notice as Ginger sidled up to her.
        The little girl somehow found the courage to take the figure's hand, drawing her attention. "Please," she said softly. "Please, can't we have some nice things just this one Christmas?"
        "Ginger..." came a whispered warning from Aaron.
        "I'm not afraid of her! Angels are good and they do good things, so why don't they ever do anything for us?" she asked, pouting at him.
        Again the stranger's unnatural eyes swept over the room and when they turned back to take in the children, there was a slight smile upon the mouth below them.
        "And what have you done for others recently?" the amazing voice asked them. "Have you helped anyone in need yourself... or merely helped yourselves to their possessions for your own selfish reasons?"
        Both Tom and Aaron lowered their eyes, certain that she already knew all their deep dark secrets, but Ginger thought hard.
        "I helped a lost boy find his mommy again! Does that count?"
        The angel smiled. "It does." As she spoke, both Tom and Aaron scurried off, returning a few moments later. Tom held out the bag with the book and Aaron...
        "What is this?" she asked him as he held out an old watch to her.
        "I took it from a woman's purse last year," he confessed. "I don't know why she was carrying it around, but I grabbed it when I meant to get her wallet. I'm sorry..."
 
 
        "Stop the limo!" Nivian shouted to the driver as she peered out the window.
        "We must not stop - we could become trapped here," Zo'or countered.
        "It's Boone!" she continued, pointing back towards the figure they had passed.
        "Driver, stop the vehicle!" Zo'or waited for the chauffeur to comply and then asked his next question. "How do you know this person is Boone? Do you recognize his disguise?"
        "I can tell," was all she replied. Rolling down the window, she waved the approaching figure over. As he peered into the window, she greeted him. "William, what are you doing out here? Please let us give you a lift wherever you need to go."
        The man she knew to be Boone looked startled, but nodded and joined them within the vehicle. With a nod to the other disguised occupant, whom he had to know was Zo'or, he turned to face her.
        "Thanks. My car got stuck and I didn't relish the thought of walking even another block in this mess. If you could just drop me off somewhere with a phone..."
        Zo'or reached over his shoulder to rap on the glass partition with his knuckles and within seconds the limo was again moving. He then pulled a global out of his coat and handed it to the surprised resistance member.
        "Go on. Contact your people and we will drop you wherever you may wish. I owe you much and am unwilling to displease Nivian by allowing you to freeze."
        With another nod, Boone took the device and flipping it open, contacted the base, careful to leave the video off. As the connection was made, he entered his personal code, taking care that his rescuers could not see it.
        "Commander Boone, we were becoming worried about you!" came Jose's voice.
        "I'm all right. My car's stranded though and I've been given a lift by some old... acquaintances, so be careful what you say. Can someone pick me up at St. Michael's?"
        There was a slight pause before Jose answered. "It's going to be difficult to get one of the cars out, but I'm sure we can manage it. Commander... before we arrange a meeting time, I think you ought to know that Dana's missing."
        "What?"
        "She went out to do some shopping... I think, and she has not returned."
        "Any idea where she might have gone?"
        "All I know is that she took the bus."
        Boone lowered the global and stared out the window at the viciously blowing snow. How would he find her in this?
        "We'll help you," Nivian said, as she placed a hand on his arm. Tell us where to begin looking."
        He patted her hand and turned to look at Zo'or, who smirked back at him.
        "Lost your companion? It would seem that you no longer serve the sole function of protector..." As Boone scowled, he smiled charmingly. "No matter, we cannot have a Taelon expiring in this. Where do you suggest we begin our search?"
        "There's a mall not far from here. Somehow, I think she might have begun her quest there." Boone got back on the global as the limo driver received his new orders. "I'm going to look for our missing person," he informed Jose. "I'll call when I'm ready for that ride." Quickly he cut the transmission and handed the global back to the amused Synod Leader.

 

 
 
 
        Da'an stared at the old watch in disbelief, for on the back was engraved the name, "Boone". Had the boy taken it from Sara Boone when she had visited William last year? It appeared to be the twin to the one which William himself wore, but this watch was clearly nonfunctional. Still, it had its original wristband and the replacement band on Boone's own was nearly worn out...
        The chances of this particular watch finding itself in her possession were astronomically small and she couldn't help but smile, for she did believe in a higher power, and her feet had apparently been meant to lead her here this night.
        Slipping the watch into her coat pocket, she stooped down so that she could look the young ones in the eyes.
        "I know the owner of this watch. It shall be returned to him," she told the one named Aaron. She knew they thought her to be a celestial apparition and she could feel how badly they wished to believe. They had so little, these people. It was time to bring them hope...
        Reaching out, she took their hands, one by one and with little effort, allowed them to feel a moment of complete calmness and serenity, thus strengthening their belief in her.
        "You shall have your Christmas," she told them. "Nothing can take it from you if you believe."
        "But can we have presents?" Ginger asked.
        She nodded. "Tell everyone here what you have seen this night. There is a church not far from here - St. Michael's. Those adults among you who will show up there to keep vigil, one at a time, after dark on this day next week shall be given a gift by me."
        "What if they're Jewish?" Aaron asked.
        "It matters not. All that matters is that they be willing to believe in a higher authority. It does not signify that the place I have chosen is a church. It could just as well be a synagogue. This too, you must make clear."
        "If we do this, we'll get presents?" Ginger persisted.
        "Help them to believe, and you shall have a Christmas to remember." On that note, Da'an rose and lifting the bag she had recovered, headed for the front door. The snow was coming down even more heavily, but she felt Boone's presence nearby. She had little doubt that she could bring him to her, for their bond was well and truly established.
        With a last glance at the children, she stepped out and was quickly swallowed up in the storm.
 
 
        "She's nearby," Boone announced. "Turn left here!"
        The partition between the driver and the rear had been lowered and the driver quickly complied. They went another three blocks before Boone had him make a right.
        They were on a small street in a poorer section of the community. Run down shops and abandoned buildings abounded. Despite his disguise, Zo'or wore an expression of shock.
        "Why would Da'an be here?" he asked. "What could have possessed her to..."
        "There!" Boone nearly shouted, pointing toward a nearly invisible figure fighting its way against the wind.
        The limo pulled up, with the Commander opening the door and jumping out almost before it had come to a full stop. In moments he had returned with his missing companion. Nivian moved across to sit beside Zo'or as Boone handed Da'an into the limo and climbed in beside her. After closing the door, he turned towards her.
        "Are you all right?" he asked anxiously, seeing how she shook.
        "I shall be fine once I have warmed up," she replied in a quivering voice.
        Boone had his coat off in an instant and pulled her tightly against his side as he draped it over her like a blanket. Across from them, Nivian smiled and snuggled up to Zo'or, which caused his knowing smirk to vanish, replaced with a tender look.
        "St. Michael's Church," he ordered the driver before turning to lock eyes with his old rival. "You're looking... lovely these days," he managed to say. "The disguise suits you."
        "As does yours."
        Boone snorted. "He looks like an SS officer."
        Seeing the frown which quickly appeared upon the Synod Leader's face, Da'an quickly changed the subject. "I thank you for offering both William and myself transportation."
        "You must thank Nivian, for had she not recognized your disguised... lover, none of us would be having this conversation."
        "And yet, you didn't need to help me locate Da'an," Boone observed.
        Zo'or frowned. "I owe Da'an a gesture of good will for having returned Nivian to me. I assume that it is because of her association with you that the Resistance still offers her shelter?"
        The one-time implant ignored the question, instead turning to rub Da'an's shoulder and arm, trying to help warm her. His obvious concern for her caused Nivian to cuddle even closer to Zo'or, her arms sliding around his waist. He in turn seemed to melt, his face becoming serene, all trace of arrogance wiped away.
        The trip was completed in contented silence. As the limo pulled up to the front of the church, Da'an handed Boone back his coat and the two exited, packages in hand.
        "Boone, Da'an, wait a minute!" Nivian got out as well. "If I don't see you before the holidays, Merry Christmas." She threw her arms around the resistance Commander's neck and gave him a peck on the cheek.
        "And if I don't see you, Happy Hanukkah!" he kissed her cheek as well.
        Nivian moved to Da'an and simply took her hands, sighing as they made brief contact, their wishes communicated silently. Then she returned to the limo and with a final wave, it drove off and was quickly lost in the snow.
        Boone and Da'an entered the church, removing their coats in the vestibule and dusting the melting snow from their heads. The place was deserted and Boone pulled her close for a quick kiss.
        "You had me frightened nearly to death," he whispered. "I can't wait to hear the story behind this!"
        She looked sheepish. "I fear that you will wish you had not..."
        Together they moved towards the stairs.
 
 
        "Da'an..."
        "I know that you feel it is a risk, however, I feel strongly that this is something I am meant to do." The two of them were in Da'an's room, the Taelon seated in the overstuffed chair while Boone paced the floor before her. Stopping suddenly, he knelt and took her hands.
        "You can't go around impersonating an angel..." He groaned. "I know you mean well, but... "
        "I have asked very little from you, William," she countered, reaching out to place her palm against his cheek. "Please support me in this. I know that it will bring about much good."
        He sighed. "Are you that set on doing this then?"
        "My course is plotted and may not be altered."
        "I know I'm going to regret this - I'll probably have nightmares about angry angels for months..."
        She wrapped her arms about him, pulling him close for a kiss. "You will not have nightmares," she murmured. "Only pleasant dreams will follow this endeavor." Again she kissed him, this time pulling up his shirt and sliding her now-warm hands beneath it. "You will speak with Jonathan then?" she mumbled as he nibbled at her upper lip.
        "Uhhh... if I didn't know better, I'd think that you were attempting to manipulate me," he somehow managed to say.
        "Then I must be slipping. Usually you don't notice..." Her hands explored further.
        "...I'll talk to Jonathan in the morning," he groaned, just before he pulled her from the chair and tumbled her to the carpeting.
        With a smile lighting her face, she pulled him down beside her.

 

 
        Making her way towards the distant church, Madeline Perry thought about her son. The boy, along with two other children, whose mothers frequented the Blair Street shelter, were adamant about having been visited by an angel the week before and no amount of scolding or derision on the part of their parents and the other transients had been able to sway them from their tale. As the days had ticked by, they had become more and more frantic to make their elders believe them, with Tom and Ginger bursting into tears this very day. Only her final promise to visit the church had calmed her son.
        Ginger's mother had likewise promised to visit as soon as she returned.
        Finally arriving at the front steps, she paused at the bottom and stared up at the steeple. It had been a long while since she had been in a church... No, that wasn't exactly true. She had, on occasion, napped in some of them to escape the cold, but it had been a very long time since she had last entered one for any reason other than to seek shelter there.
        "The things I do for that boy..." she mumbled as she finally climbed the steps.
        The church was deserted, the foul weather apparently keeping away those who stopped by in the evening to pray. Pausing for just a moment, Madeline moved forward and took a seat at the far right end of the last pew. A few minutes ticked by.
        "This is..." she began to murmur, only to be startled nearly out of her skin when a woman stepped out of thin air at her side.
        She had long, dark hair and blue eyes which seemed to glow in the dim light.
        It was the angel!
        Madeline froze as the hair on the back of her neck stood on end. So shocked was she, that she couldn't even protest as the apparition reached out and took her hands.
        A feeling of utter calm seemed to settle over her at the touch and she found herself held firmly by the angel's gaze.
        "Welcome Madeline Perry..." the incredible voice greeted her...
 
 
        Georgia Carlyle was heading up the steps when Madeline exited the church, her face alight like a child's who had received a much sought after gift.
        "Well?" she asked, suddenly excited by what she sensed she was about to hear.
        "There is an angel! She talked to me, told me to go somewhere tomorrow and that I would have both a job and a place to stay!" Madeline took her hands. "Georgia, hurry! It is a miracle! Perhaps she'll give you news as well. I have to go back and tell the others!"
        With that, Tom's mother withdrew her hands and moved quickly down the steps and in the direction of the distant shelter.
        Georgia gave the church another look, pausing to stare up at the steeple before finally moving toward the front doors.
 
 
        From the window at the top of the steeple, William Boone watched as the shelter residents came and went. Over the course of the past few hours nearly all of them had shown up. In they trudged, with both hope and doubt stamped across their faces. Out they all walked, with identical looks of wonderment and joy.
        Da'an was giving them information on where to meet with those resistance members who ran companies or had influence within them. Her plea for help for these people had rallied those below to their aid. Realistically, he knew that many of those they sought to help would not keep their meetings, but many would and for them a new life lay around the corner. It was a chance to begin again. To work for an employer who didn't mind that they didn't own but one decent set of clothes, that they had no permanent address. Given a steady job and a place to live, eventually they would have all those things.
        Boone sighed. He still didn't feel right about allowing these people thinking Da'an was an angel. True, the Taelon had never said that she was one, but...
        ...But she was helping them. The resistance was helping them, and that in itself could not be a bad thing...
        He suddenly smiled. Tomorrow the final surprise would be sprung...
        There was no way that he would miss it.
 
 
        "I don't understand," Lorraine told the man, as she looked over the invoice he had handed her. "you're saying that all this is for us?"
        The man grinned from ear to ear. "Yes Ma'am. Compliments of a certain philanthropist who lives in the area." He noted her dazed look and continued. "Just give us the word and we'll unload the truck."
        Lorraine nodded numbly. She had managed the shelter for over fifteen years. She had wheeled and dealed and fought so hard all that time for even the smallest of improvements; a new blanket here, a new cot there, some volunteers, but never had she ever imagined...
        "This is for real?" she asked the red headed man who had approached her. "No catches?"
        "It's all yours," he grinned back. "Happy Holidays!"
        Watching as the six men began carrying things inside, she burst into tears.
 
 
 

        Madeline returned to the shelter shortly after noon to find a large moving truck outside. The moving men were loading the last of the shelter's cots into the back and fearing that something dreadful had happened, she ran inside.
        "Mom! Mom!" Tom instantly greeter her. "Come and look! You're not going to believe this!" Grabbing her hand, he all but dragged her to the back room.
        Her mouth dropped open at the sight.
        Row upon row of new cots, with new sheets and stacks of blankets filled the room. New heaters were strategically placed amongst them and small rugs lined the rows between them. In one corner stood a beautiful Christmas tree which the children were decorating from boxes of ornaments and lights which had become strewn about it. An plug-in Menorah stood on a table in another corner, about which were hung Hanukkah decorations.
        "That's not all," Tom said, leading her to the kitchen. He pushed the door open, revealing two moving men stocking the freezer, refrigerator and cupboards to full capacity. "The angel came through for us," he beamed.
        "Yes, it did," she agreed, as they moved back into the common room. Lorraine stood there, beaming from ear to ear.
        "It's a miracle," she sighed as Madeline moved to join her.
        Just then Ginger and Aaron ran up, each holding a wrapped present.
        "Look what I found under the tree!" the little girl exclaimed. "It has my name on it and there's one for Tom and most everyone else!"
        "I found mine under the Menorah," Aaron smiled. "There are some others there as well."
        "Did you get a job, Mom?" Tom turned to beam up at her.
        Dropping down, she hugged him tightly. "I did! And a place to stay as well! Starting right after the holidays, we'll be living in our own apartment!"
        Behind them, a dark haired woman stepped out of the shadows, her eyes glowing calmly. Ginger was the first to notice her.
        "The angel!" she shouted. "She's here!"
        As one, everyone in the shelter turned to look and most caught sight of the smile which crossed her face just before she seemed to vanish into the shadows again.
 

 
        Boone stood beside the moving truck's rear cargo loader and waited for Da'an to join him. Everyone had finished up and was either in the cab or sitting in the back. Once she returned, they'd be going.
        He smiled again as he looked over his fellow volunteers. Each one wore a smile and seemed happier than he'd ever seen them. He himself felt... wonderful...
        "William."
        He turned to find that he had been joined by the red haired young lady who had once carried him out of the DC embassy when he was an infant.
        "This is a year we won't soon forget," he told her. "What you've accomplished here is..."
        "Nothing more than what should have been done long since," she finished. "Come, let us be off."
        As they turned to climb in, a man on the sidewalk waved frantically at them, drawing Boone's undivided attention. He moved toward the stranger, even as Da'an moved with him and together they followed him as he moved toward the front of the truck's far side, still waving for them to approach.
        Boone stopped half way up the truck. "What is it?" he yelled suspiciously and then found himself jumping as a horrifyingly loud noise seemed to explode behind them. Running back to the rear of the truck he was shocked to see that a car had slammed into the loader at the precise location where he and Da'an had been about to climb in. Exchanging an amazed look with the disguised Taelon,  he immediately turned back around to find that the tall man who had drawn them away from that spot was missing, vanished apparently into thin air.
        "Where did he go?" Boone asked a woman who had been there the entire time.
        "Who?"
        "The man who waved us back here. You had to have seen him. He was tall and slender and wore a long dark coat..."
        She shook her head. "The only thing I saw, was that you two decided to walk this way. Good thing too, huh?"
        Again he and Da'an exchanged looks and then they moved to join the others.
        Fortunately the young lady who had driven the car, along with her distraught mother, were unharmed, as were all those in the rear of the truck, but if he and Da'an had not moved, he would have been killed outright and Da'an...
        "The collision would not have killed me," she assured him. "but if I had lost you..."
        "You saw him, didn't you?"
        "No, William. I only followed you when you walked away. I saw no one."
        For a few shocked moments, he could say nothing, but merely looked towards the spot where the being had vanished. "An angel..." he finally whispered. "The real thing, beyond any shadow of a doubt, for if it were anything else, how could I alone see him and you not?" Feeling almost faint at the enormity of what had happened, he pulled her close. "Why? Why would he only allow me to see him? You're the one who brought all this about..."
        "It appeared to you so that it might save your life," she answered. "It was not necessary that I see it, for I was never in danger, however, it's gift was perhaps meant for me also, for I could not carry on if I lost you again. I live only so long as you do..."
        Grasping her hand, he kissed it and then led her to the bus stop across the street. The police had arrived and the others would stay until the report was completed. He hadn't brought his holo device, which was recharging, and dared not chance having the police recognize him.
        In moments they had boarded a bus and were headed back in the direction of the church.
 
 
        Nivian lay in her bed and listened to the wind howling outside her window. It was snowing again and the flakes as they passed before her window cast shadows upon her and the wall of her room. Outside it was cold and nasty, while here she was wrapped up toasty warm in her bed. It was perfect sleeping weather... so why wasn't she sleeping?
        She groaned and rolled over as thoughts of Zo'or again ran through her mind. He had asked her to stay with him again this night, this time promising that he simply wished her near, that he wouldn't push for anything else. She had nearly given in, but despite her visible hesitation, sanity had won out and she had once again retreated to the safe loneliness of her own bed.
        The truth was that she feared him even as she yearned for him... Not that he would ever do anything to harm her. No. She knew that she of all humans, was safe where he was concerned. Since their bonding his feeling for her had been laid bare, even as her own feeling for him had. They loved each other truly, but...
        She had gained a window into his very soul and knew what he was capable of. Her race, this entire planet was nothing to him if it could be used to stop the ancient enemy. He would sacrifice humanity to ensure his people's survival and, although she had seen that the wrongness of such an act was beginning to dawn on him, she still feared the atrocities he was yet capable of.
        Rolling over again, she heard the sound of her own heartbeat echo back to her ear, no doubt channeled in some way by the mattress. For several minutes, she listened to its steady, calming and yet somehow accusing tones.
        Da'an had told her that she had as much control over Zo'or as he had over her, that she alone could influence him where no other could... But she had not influenced him since her return. She had not even tried. He had stopped to help Boone and Da'an in order to please her, not because she had demanded it of him.
        Manipulation was something foreign to her nature. Zo'or was good at it - an expert, but she preferred to influence and direct those her around her, not manipulate them.
        Da'an had also told her that she would play a large part in what was yet to come, that her action or indifference with regard to Zo'or could destroy or preserve humanity's future. It had been an enormous burden to lay at her feet, one which she had since ignored, but now she heard Da'an's prediction everywhere, even in her sleep. She could not go on hiding away, ignoring the thoughts and schemes which moved through her other's mind.
        It was time to shoulder that burden.
        Rising from her bed, she pulled on a warm robe, tying it at the waist as she slipped her feet into her slippers. Then she bent down and pulling a gift from under the bed, dusted it off.
        It was time to find Zo'or...
 
 
        Down in resistance HQ, the Christmas Eve party to end them all was in full swing. People laughed and talked as wrapping paper flew about and punch flowed freely. Jonathan Doors was seen walking about with green foil tinsel circling his head as though he were some old Roman senator. Augur was dressed in a green lame top and brilliant red velvet pants while Lili wore a tasteful burgundy velvet dress. The two if them were attempting to dance to the tune of "I Saw Three Ships". Augur began bellowing it out as he moved and the song was quickly taken up by all present, even Boone.
        As the song ended, Augur tripped over a chair causing Boone to lean back in his chair and howl with laughter. The other humans at his table - Joshua, Belman, Park, and Beckette all laughed as well, with Beckette wiping tears from her eyes.
        "You know how to party as well as the Irish," she gasped, as she lifted her mulled cider for another sip.
        Da'an smiled at them from her seat beside William, for their happiness was infectious. She had spent three previous Christmas' on their planet, but never before had she actually been among them when they celebrated it. The last three hours had been priceless and she would forever cherish the memory of these serious people suddenly laughing and joking with each other.
        Gifts had been exchanged and Boone embarrassed by the large number he had received, for each was simply to have left something under the tree, grab bag style. Yet, as the presents were pulled forth, many were found to have his name scrawled on them.
        It had become one of the highlights of the evening, with people laughing more and more hysterically every time Boone was presented with another gift and sheepishly asked, "What? Another one?!" That he was well loved by these people could no longer be denied, not even by him.
        Another funny moment had occurred when Da'an had picked a gift from under the tree and opened it to find that it was a box of Godiva chocolates. "Go on, try one," William had encouraged her. As everyone watched, she had taken her first taste of chocolate candy, generating laughter around her. People had told her afterwards that her face had first looked surprised then slipped into an expression of pure bliss. She had since polished off two entire chocolates, which for her, was something of a feat.
        As Jonathan Doors snatched Belman away for a dance, Boone rose to his feet and, swaying slightly, reached down to give her a hand up.
        "I think I've had enough," he said, managing not to slur his words. "and rather than risk passing out here, I bid you all a Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!"
        A chorus of, "Merry Christmas, Boone!" rang out, as Da'an took his arm and helped lead him down the corridor to his room.
 
 
        Nivian found Zo'or standing before the windows of his room, staring at the swirling snow outside. Although his back remained to the door and to her, she was aware that he knew she stood there. He seemed both elated and terrified, though she could not say why.
        As if in answer to her thoughts, he slowly turned to face her, his face guarded, his demeanor one of... distrust.
        "Are you here to tell me I am unworthy?" he asked. "You might have saved yourself the trouble. I know how you feel about me, how you fear me. It whispers to me through our link during every moment you are awake. Try as I might, I am unable to read your actual thoughts, to find the cause of this distrust. I had thought things settled between us, that all would eventually be... as it was before..." His face hardened suddenly, all emotion draining from it. "Are you here to tell me you are leaving?"
        She moved forward quickly, stopping before him and taking his hands so that a direct link was formed. She wanted him to believe, to know that what she said next was the truth.
        "I'm not leaving you, not again," she said forcefully, "but you're right in that I do fear you! Not for myself, but for what you are capable of with regard to my people. Zo'or, I love you, but that doesn't mean that I can turn a blind eye to the contempt in which you hold humanity." She threw her arms about him then, hugging him tightly as she buried her face against his lower chest.
        His arms instantly crushed her even more tightly against him and she felt his cheek rubbing against the top of her head.
        "Is there no way to make things right between us?" he whispered hoarsely.
        "Only time... and your own heart will reveal that," she sighed.
        As she lifted her face to look at him, he grasped her chin and kissed her. For one brief, wonderful moment she responded, melting against him as she kissed him back. Then she regained control and gently pulled away. "I've brought you a gift," she said shakily, pulling the small box from her pocket and holding it out to him.
        "A gift? But why? I thought you didn't..."
        "I don't celebrate Christmas, nor do I give gifts for Hanukkah," she affirmed. "but this is something I wish you to have and I could think of no better time to give it to you." She looked up into his confused eyes. "Go on. Open it."
        Quickly, he tore the wrappings away and opening the small box, withdrew a small, silver locket from within.
        "It's a locket," she explained, as he stared at her. "Open it."
        The Synod Leader managed to pry it open and then looked more baffled then ever. "I do not understand... Why are there pictures of these people within?"
        She pointed to the very old, brown photo of a woman. "This is my great grandmother," she explained. "It was taken one year after her release from the concentration camp at Auschwitz." She stared solemnly at him. "You're aware of this most abominable chapter of humanity's history. All those people killed outright or starved and abused, then killed. They were treated like this because their jailers were convinced that they were animals - not human, but rather some inferior subspecies. If this woman you see here had not survived the camps - and she was the only member of her family who did - then you never would have met me. I would not be here with you now."
        Zo'or stared at her, a look of agitation upon his face.
        "This other picture is of an infant," she continued. "Just a little thing, isn't she? She cannot fight or reason or do much of anything. Would you sacrifice her in a war against the Jaridians? She's nothing, right? What is one infant compared to you or the life of your people..."
        "This is you," he whispered, suddenly certain of it.
        "Yes."
        Slowly, he closed the locket and turned away from her, his hand clutching the silver ornament to his chest.
        She moved to stand beside him and was momentarily startled to see that his facade was fading away. Within seconds, he stood before her in his true form, his phosphorescent eyes staring out the window at nothing at all.
        "Boone said that you looked like an SS officer in the limo the other night," she said. "How very appropriate his description was, for I had noted it myself. What I fear most of all, though, is that he was seeing the future, not the present. You cannot love me if you believe me to be less sentient than yourself, and yet that will be the excuse your people use to destroy us. In a flash, you will annihilate not only us, but everything we could be... and everything good your own people might aspire to." She placed her hand upon his shoulder. "This is what I have seen in you," she said, choking back a sob. "It is the reason why things are not... right between us..."
        She turned to go, but his hand grasped her own and held her back. Those incredible eyes were finally turned her way and she was startled to see that some great pain had stirred their normally placid depths. She sensed a great confusion rising up within him as well as a fear she hadn't thought he was capable of.
        "Nivian, I..." he began.
        She placed a finger over his mouth. "Shhh. There is nothing to be said. You cannot apologize for your future actions, or convince me that what I fear will never happen. Best to simply think upon this. Keep the locket and remember how easy it is to allow injustice to occur. Only the exceptional have the strength to fight against it. Find your strength... and you will find me."
        She hurried from the room, returned to her own and huddled under the covers, shaking with reaction.
        Less than an hour later she awoke to find that her companion had slipped under the covers with her. He lay beside her, shivering, not touching her, but only watching her intently in the dark. Her heart flip flopping in her chest, she opened her arms to him and he was instantly embracing her, his head cradled against her chest.
        "Don't push me away," he pleaded. "Please, let me stay..."
        Tears ran from the corners of her eyes. "I can't. I won't."
        They remained that way the remainder of the night, fearing the future and trying desperately to hold on to the present.

 

 
 
        Boone quickly retrieved Da'an's gift from his dresser and waited for his companion to return from her own room. He didn't have to wait long. In a moment, the Taelon returned, sat on the bed beside him and presented him with a gift.
        "Merry Christmas, William," she smiled as he took it from her.
        In return he passed her gift over. "Happy holiday, Da'an," he replied.
        They quickly fell to unwrapping their gifts and then each looked up at the other in shock.
        Boone nervously explained his gift. "It's a stand for your memory sphere."
        The renegade Taelon's eyes fell. "I know this, however, I fear that I traded my sphere for this book upon my lap and ultimately the gift I brought you."
        As the truth sunk in, he began to snicker and soon he found himself flat on his back, laughing so hard that he was too weak to even sit back up.
        "I do not understand..." Da'an loomed over him, a look of such confusion upon her face that he laughed even harder.
        Several minutes ticked by before he finally struggled back to a sitting position and wiped the tears from his eyes.
        "Da'an..." he gasped out. "I traded my watch for the globe stand!"
        For a second she stared at him and then she blushed deeply. When she regained her human facade, she was smiling.
        Then the most amazing thing happened...
        Da'an laughed!
        It wasn't much of a laugh, but for her...
        Boone pulled her close, rocking her against him as the amusement slowly faded away. "Where did you get that watch band?" he asked. "It's amazing that you'd locate an original in such good condition."
        She looked up at him. "More amazing than you could guess." Reaching into one of her caftan's pockets, she withdrew the watch the band had been attached to and handed it over to him.
        He gaped at it. "This has to be the watch my sister promised me last year! It was somehow lost during her trip, though. How...?"
        "One of the boys at the shelter took it from her purse last year," Da'an explained. "How is it that your family came to own two such watches?"
        He smiled. "My great grandfather gave them to his sons as Christmas gifts. My great uncle accidentally wore his into the water hole one day, ruining it for good, but he held onto it for sentimental reasons. Before visiting me last year, Sarah received the band from a cousin. She had mentioned that I still had my grandfather's watch and that it ran perfectly..."
        Da'an held up the book which had been lying in her lap. "I have purchased this for both of us, for it has come highly recommended by a mutual friend."
        He took it from her and unwrapping it, smiled at the title. Sliding up to the head of the bed, he arranged the pillows and turned on the reading light before settling in and opening his arms to her. In a flash she lay against him, with her head in the crook of his shoulder so that she could also see the book as he opened it.
        "I'll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeworld that truth is a matter of the imagination..." he read aloud.
        Together, they lost themselves in the wonder of the novel and the perfect contentment of simply being together.
        When the book slipped from Boone's fingers some thirty-odd minutes later, Da'an carefully took it from him and placing it on the night stand, switched out the lights.
        He awoke as her cool hand stroked back his hair so that she could plant a kiss on his forehead.
        "Pleasant dreams," she murmured near his ear.
        He gathered her close to him and sighed contentedly. "Is it possible to love someone too much?" he mumbled.
        Her blush lit her features, making her frown briefly visible in the darkness. "It is," she answered seriously. "But then... we are both guilty of it and it is something beyond our conscious control."
        He lifted his head and tried to make out her features in the darkness, well aware that she could see him perfectly. "You seem troubled by this."
        She gently pushed him back down and suddenly leaned over him, her strength again reminding him of what she truly was. In a flash, she had meshed her fingers with his own and pushing his hands above his head, leaned down to kiss him. At the moment that their lips met a sharing was initiated.
        Forty seconds later she lifted her head. "Do you doubt my feelings for you now?" she husked out.
        Breathless, he shook his head in reply and then pulled her back down. "I will never, ever regret having you as a part of my life," he whispered, as he kissed her again.
        Together they spent a most joyous night.
 
 
 
Happy Holidays