The Waiting Game - Part 2
An Earth - Final Conflict story by Tina Price
(mailto:_TinaP@prodigy.net)
Original Story Ideas ©1999, Tina Price. All rights reserved.

Archive: All my stories can be found at my personal page: http://pages.prodigy.net/tinap/

Preview: The search for the missing Secretary of State uncovers several more disturbing facts. Meanwhile, as everyone prepares for a new arrival, a new complication occurs.

Rated PG-13 due to some adult themes.

Disclaimer: Earth - Final Conflict, all characters and images therein, as well as story elements put forth in the series are the property of the Tribune Entertainment Company. Several characters appearing in this story are my own creation. Any similarity with anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Authors notes: <Text appearing like this denotes mental communication."> I owe much of the flavor of this story to the comments, suggestions and ideas given me by my fabulous Beta reader, Janet Spruill White. She deserves a great deal of credit for the work she's put into it. Please feel free to drop her a line, at this address: mailto:_lablance@yahoo.com. As always, I am in no way receiving 'privileged information'. Any advice, criticism and kudos are always welcomed. Please contact me at the above e-mail address.


The Waiting Game
Part 2

 Image is the Property of Tribune Entertainment

        As Senior Security Guard, Tony Williams approached the upper area of the Embassy ramp which led to the private chambers usually reserved for the Embassy's resident Companion and his Protector, he shook his head.
        Being reduced to delivering room service was beneath him, yet he dare not deny the Synod Leader's order. That one had been acting bitchier than ever since his return from Belman's clinic! Already rumors were circulating about some sort of major event which had occurred there earlier that very afternoon. Some had even been whispering about the Companion, Da'an, being pregnant with Boone's child, a rumor which most had dismissed out of hand, but which he had begun to believe. The North American Companion had recently taken to wearing caftans over its customary suit and the last time Williams had seen it, it had been looking a lot thicker around the middle than he had ever seen a Taelon look. The caftan worked well as far as concealment went, but a sudden move or gust of air could easily cause it to cling to its wearer, revealing the shape beneath.
        Shaking his head as he approached the Lord and Master's chamber, he was ready to chime when the door opened and Zo'or stepped out.
        "It is about time you arrived!" the Synod Leader chastised him.
        "I apologize. Andrew got caught in some really bad traffic and..."
        "Never mind! Give me this and return to your duties!" The alien's pale, cool hands grasped the serving tray, one brushing against his own and causing him to fumble slightly as he quickly shifted his own hand away from the contact.
        He had heard about them being able to read your thoughts when in contact. Besides - he found the idea of touching so alien a creature revolting.
        So startled was he by the accidental contact, that it took him a second to realize that Zo'or was standing perfectly still and no longer making an attempt to take the tray, despite its continued grip upon it.
        Slowly looking up at the Taelon's face, he saw himself being studied through narrowed eyes.
        "Does the thought of making physical contact with a Taelon disgust you, Captain?" the creature asked, in a tone which seemed far too pleasant.
        "Of course not," he replied indignantly.
        A sickening smile split its face. "Your words say one thing, but your body betrays you," the Synod Leader said softly as it finally took the tray. "No matter. I did not expect a more enlightened response from one of your species."
        That said, the creature swung around, and with a final smirk, disappeared into its quarters.
        Williams stood there fuming. "I'd like to have had the chance to remind it that Boone and Ibraham happen to live with Taelons," he grumbled under his breath before heading back down the ramp. "What a bitch! I didn't agree to this job just so that I could be its personal servant!"
        As angry as he was, he was even more disappointed that he hadn't had the chance to see the Synod Leader's consort. The rest of the rumor he had heard had been about her suddenly looking pregnant - as in not pregnant when she left that morning and noticeably showing when she had returned with Zo'or that afternoon.
        Oh well! Maybe he'd be summoned again shortly.
        Continuing on down the central ramp, he took a turn and returned to his office on the second level.

        "What's that?" Nivian asked when Zo'or returned carrying a covered tray.
        She had been ordered by both Dr. Belman and Ban'hn to remain in bed resting the remainder of the day and to take things slowly on the morrow. She hadn't been at all surprised by Zo'or's insistence that she remain with him so that he could keep an eye on her, but she HAD been absolutely amazed by how much of a mother hen he had become since their return.
        Without a word, he set the tray down on the bed beside her and uncovered it.
        Her jaw dropped open. "Is this chicken piccata?"
        "From Eoviro's," he replied with a sly look.
        "You had my favorite dish brought in from my favorite Italian restaurant? Oh, Zo'or, that's really wonderful, but completely over the top!"
        His smile faded. "Over the top?"
        "It's too much," she translated. "But I really do appreciate it."
        His smile returned. "It is late and you've not yet eaten. I sought only to tempt you into doing so."
        She leaned over and picking up a fork, took a bite of some vermicelli. "Your little scheme seems to have worked," she sighed. "My appetite is returning..." Picking up a knife, she sliced into the chicken and ate a piece of that next.
        "You must eat well now if you are to produce a healthy offspring." Sitting at the foot of the bed, he watched her.
        She nodded and continued eating, still amazed by the sudden attention she was receiving. Upon their return, he had propped her up in bed with an amazing number of pillows, had a television and radio brought into the chamber and personally retrieved several of her favorite comforters and books from her room. Every thirty minutes she had been asked if there was anything she needed and she had assured him that she was very comfortable.
        While she read, he had communicated with the home ship via data stream, remotely taking care of his responsibilities and any new problems which had arisen. That done, he had noted the time and asked her about dinner. It was when she admitted that she wasn't in the least bit hungry, that he had excused himself and left the chamber for a brief while. That must be when he had ordered the food.
        Now, as she ate, she realized that he hadn't really come near her since her return and the fact that he seemed afraid to closely approach her, troubled her. Glancing over, she saw that he was still watching her eat and she reached out a hand to grasp his own.
        "Why don't you slide up here next to me?" she asked. "If we share, you can enjoy the taste of the meal as well."
        He looked stunned. "I have no desire to... taste... your meal," he sniffed. "However, I would relish the chance to... move closer."
        Zo'or had done just that and was leaning over to pull her against him when the door chime sounded. She groaned at the scowl which instantly transformed his face and dropped her utensils on her plate as he rose off the bed to answer the door.
        It was Da'an.
        "May I enter?" she asked as Zo'or blocked her from Nivian's view.
        Certain that Zo'or would deny the request, Nivian spoke first. "Da'an, please come on in," she invited. As she watched, the North American Companion moved slightly to one side and peered around Zo'or to where she lay, propped up in the bed. Once certain of Nivian's exact whereabouts, she approached, stopping next to the bed beside the tray.
        Her keen eyes seemed to take everything in, from the tray to the cushions, to Nivian's favorite books and comforter.
        "I was about to ask if there was anything you required, however... I see that you are being well looked after," she said softly, with a ghost of a smile lighting her face.
        "Yes, I am, but thanks anyway," Nivian laughed, as Zo'or moved to stand beside Da'an, a frown still contorting his features. She noticed that Da'an was no longer wearing the caftan over her suit. Even more incredible, she looked as though nothing at all had happened to her. "How are you doing?" she asked. "You look pretty good for someone who's just had a baby."
        She looked down at herself and then moving closer to Nivian, gestured towards her belly. "Rather would I look like you..."
        Before Nivian could answer, Zo'or had physically imposed himself between them.
        "It is late," he said evenly. "Perhaps you had best take leave of your infant so that Nivian might enjoy her own well deserved rest."
        With a nod at Zo'or, Da'an reached out. Nivian smiled warmly as the Companion sat on the edge of the bed and she made contact. The Taelon's warm hands ran gently across the pajama covered expanse of  her flesh until they settled over the area where the baby rested and her touch conveyed a wonderful calming sensation which caused Nivian to sigh with contentment.
        It was over in less than a minute. Satisfied at having once more touched her child, Da'an rose, wished Nivian a restful night and departed.
        Once she was gone, Zo'or cleared away the food tray with an excessive clatter which revealed the snit he was in. When he returned to sit on the bed beside her, she couldn't help but reach out and pull him down next to her. He seemed momentarily startled to find himself nose to nose with her.
        That's when she took advantage and kissed him.
        He melted instantly and she felt the kiss being eagerly returned. Time seemed to stand still as the kiss became more erotic and then teasing and playful. When their mouths finally parted, they continued to caress each other in an affectionate manner and she was stunned by the intensity of the blue gaze which seemed to be drinking her in.
        "Why I fell for you, of all people, is a mystery which I don't think will ever be solved," she whispered. "but, though you have the ability to hurt me and my race as no one else can... I can't help but love you. I think I always will."
        He sighed, a very human-like sound, even as he blushed, revealing his true form for an instant. Then his arms were around her, pulling her close and holding her as though he truly feared that she would leave him. "I am Synod Leader and the last of my kind to be born naturally," he reminded her. "I must do what I feel is best for the continuation of my people. The humans... your people are thriving. There are so many more of them living right now upon this planet than there have ever been Taelons! If some must fight for the rest of us - Taelon and Human alike - to survive, then it makes sense that they do so. I am not heartless, as you humans term it. I am practical and I am desperate to find a solution before we run out of time."
        She gave him another quick kiss. "I know. What worries me is that you seem to be blind to the suffering that these people are undergoing in your experiments. You don't seem to be concerned with the ethics of the situation..."
        He drew back a bit. "I cannot afford to allow such things to erode my resolve. Ugly at it seems, that is the way it must be."
        She rolled away, onto her back, and stared up at the ceiling. "THAT is what truly frightens me."
        She was surprised when he moved in close again and leaned his head on her shoulder. That was when she felt the baby kicking again.
        "The baby's awake," she laughed softly, as she rubbed her lower belly. "He's kicking up a storm!"
        Zo'or reached out and covering her hand with his own, concentrated. She instantly felt her mind open to his... and the consciousness which was the infant. His thoughts were so rudimentary and yet amazing in a way. He was aware of himself and them as separate entities and also seemed to be able to distinguish between them. It thought of Nivian as its mother's friend and incredibly, knew what she looked like!
        <"How can Braedan know what I look like?"> she thought.
        <"He possesses some of Da'an's memories, it would seem,"> came Zo'or's response. <"Already he can put faces to the voices he hears and he most definitely knows the difference between a Taelon and a human...">
        <"Do you pick up any coherent thoughts from him? I can only sense his happiness at moving around.">
        Zo'or smiled. <"Not at the moment. He is simply content."> He broke the link then as he pulled her hands away, brought them up to his mouth and planted a kiss on the back of the right one. Then he pulled her into his embrace and leaned back so that it was she who leaned her head on his shoulder.
        After her shift in position, the baby calmed down, becoming still once more and in just a moment she herself drifted off to sleep.

        Boone was deeply absorbed in unraveling the mystery of Andrew Beal's disappearance when Da'an appeared on one of his monitors.
        "William, it grows late. What is it which occupies you so?" she asked curiously.
        "I'm onto something in the Beal case," he replied distractedly.
        So deep in thought was he, that several minutes ticked by before he realized that his Companion had not yet logged off the screen. She was watching him and apparently waiting for him to acknowledge her.
        "Da'an! I'm sorry..." he mumbled as he checked his watch. "I didn't mean to ignore you, it's just that I... Nine thirty? Good lord!" He lowered his arm and ran a hand through his hair as he gave her his full attention. "I'm on my way back. Is there anything you'd like me to pick up for you along the way?"
        She seemed amused. "Whatever might I wish you to obtain?" she asked with a curious tilt of her head.
        "Ice cream?" he prompted.
        She seemed to shrug. "I find that I no longer crave food as I did while I hosted Braedan."
        His stared at her in amazement. "Well, OK. I'll be home directly then," he announced.
        She nodded and cut the transmission as he popped a disk into the computer and began downloading his notes.
        "Nine thirty?" he repeated in disbelief. It had been ages since he had been so engrossed with something that he had lost track of the time. Come to think of it - he was also more than a little hungry.
        Leaving the office building he decided the weather was fair enough to walk back and headed off towards the Embassy, which was only a few blocks away. He was one of the few people in this city who could walk the streets after dark without fear. His alert and self confident manner, combined with his size was usually enough to make criminals look for an easier target. If one ever did get the jump on him, he had little doubt that his skrill could easily take them down.
        He was passing a group of small shops and restaurants when the smell of kabobs and gyros hit him.
        Condor went ballistic at the same time that his stomach rumbled alarmingly.
        "OK, OK!" he grumbled. "I admit that I AM hungry. Stop hissing and behave yourself so we can go inside!"
        The skrill, which had been glowing brightly enough to light his coat sleeve, instantly quieted down as the bright blue white color beneath his sleeve faded.
        <"Good boy,"> he mentally praised it. In point of fact, he had no idea if it was male or if it even had gender. He really knew very little about it, other than that its race had once been sentient and had now become nothing more than bioengineered 'smart' weapons - slaves to the Taelon masters who had subjugated and mutated them.
        A wave of sadness was mentally communicated by the skrill, making him once more doubt that it lacked self awareness. Condor, he felt certain, was sentient - the poor thing.
        Shaking off that depressing train of thought, he entered the Mediterranean restaurant, where he ordered himself a gyros and some falafel to go. It was as he was paying for the food that a movement near the window caught his attention. Freezing, he turned his head quickly and his heart skipped a beat when he saw three darkly dressed men flanking the glass door and reaching into the tops of their coats.
        "Get down!" he screamed to the cashier, as he shoved him away and then dove to the floor himself. Two of the men at the door had their guns out by that time and were opening fire.
        The rest of the customers began to scream and duck down under their tables. He had to act - and quickly, before someone was killed! He brought up his skrill arm and hoisted his sleeve out of the way just as the third man took careful aim directly at him.
        Condor reacted violently to his sudden surge of fear and discharged at the same time that the man pulled the trigger. There was an incredible recoil and the sensation that he was about to faint as the skrill instantly sucked away a great deal of his life force - his physical energy. The next thing he knew he was on his butt, thrown back against the counter.
        A sense of profound amazement that he hadn't been shot ran through him then, even as he opened his eyes and blinked in dismayed shock at the sight before him.
        The entire door, along with a circular area of approximately a nine foot diameter around it, was gone - completely obliterated! Blinds, glass, metal frame and all - everything vaporized - including the three men. All that remained of them were three black shoes and part of a long coat.
        Standing unsteadily, he looked around him. "Is everyone all right?" he asked.
        The owner, cashier, cooks and customers all nodded numbly as they stared at him open-mouthed.
        Anger, embarrassment and self loathing came over him in turns as he pulled out his global and called the incident in. Those men had been there to kill him. He was certain of that. Because of his fear for his life and those of the customers, he had lost control and killed them, when he normally would have sought to merely stun them.
        He had taken three lives needlessly and he would never forgive himself for it, regardless of the circumstances. He had done so in the past, as a soldier and as a police officer, but never would he forget the faces of those whose lives had ended at his hands.
        Never.
        Turning around and leaning wearily on the counter.
        "Are you OK?" the owner asked. "You look kinda pale."
        He nodded. "Just tired... and sick," he replied, daubing the sweat off his brow with the back of his sleeve.
        "Here - this'll help," the owner said, handing him a beer. "It's on the house - the least I can do."
        Reaching out, he took the glass with a nod and gratefully drank the cold brew as he waited for Sandoval.

        After spending another hour working with the police and interviewing all the witnesses, Boone finally found himself back at the Embassy. He was pacing before Da'an's Audience room chair and explaining to Sandoval and Liam, as well as the Companion, what he had uncovered during his investigation. The attaché and Protector stood at attention, engrossed by the information they were being given, while Da'an, though outwardly calm and equally attentive, slowly tapped her fingers on the arm of her chair. It was a clear sign of her frustration, for though this was information she required, it kept her from speaking privately with him.
        "OK now," he said loudly. "Watch the surveillance tape again as I slow it at the appropriate times." With a wave of his arm, he commanded the data stream and it instantly lit up with the scene outside the Embassy the day of the Secretary of State's disappearance.
        "Here we see Beal, his two aides and one bodyguard entering the structure while the other bodyguard remains at the door." Boone pointed out each of them in turn. "And now, as we watch the departure from the surveillance camera across the street we can see that once the four men get back into the limo, we get a last look before they drive off and they are all... strangers!"
        "They're using holo devices," Liam stated, looking bored.
        Sandoval rolled his eyes. "We've been all over this tape with a fine toothed comb and you haven't pointed out anything we haven't already seen."
        "So you agree that they used holo devices?" Boone asked.
        "Of course. We are attempting to discover from whom they obtained them," the attaché smirked.
        Boone stifled a small smile of his own and nodded. "This next tape is taken from a camera in the entranceway of an office building a few doors down and across the street, so it's not a very clear one, even enhanced." Boone ran it slowly, frame by frame and then turned to face the other two Companion agents. "So tell me," he asked, with a raised eyebrow. "Why do you suppose that the phony diplomatic group allowed us to see them without their holos on?"
        Liam stared intently at the frozen image while Sandoval merely glared back at Boone.
        "The guard!" Liam suddenly exclaimed. "The bodyguard who was outside the Embassy disappeared!"
        "Bingo!" Boone rewound the tape and played it again. "If you watch carefully, you can see him enter the Embassy as the limo is about to drive off. We were meant to be looking at the departing men and wondering if one of them really was Beal in disguise. In the meantime, they've snuck someone into the Embassy right under our noses."
        "Then we have a spy amongst us," Da'an spoke up, as her fingers danced nervously in the air above her armrests.
        "Yes," he replied. "We all know how Beal disappeared. Our real problem is in answering the following questions; one, where is Andrew Beal? And two, who is the spy masquerading as?"
        "Could the spy actually be Beal?" Liam asked.
        "No." Sandoval began tapping a finger on his lower lip. "It would be too risky to leave him under our noses. Either this has been orchestrated by the US government, in which case Beal is somewhere safe, or it's been set up by the Liberation or some other anti- Taelon party. If that's the case, we might assume that they have Beal - alive or dead - and that he never actually visited us at all."
        Again Boone nodded. "I believe that the government is indeed behind this. Just the day before the incident, President Thompson flew to France aboard Air Force One. He was on a diplomatic mission and Beal was not listed as a passenger, however Beal does vacation there quite often. I have a feeling that if we start poking around, we may find him there."
        "I'll get right on that," Sandoval offered.
        "No. Let Liam work on it. I need you here Ron." Boone faced his one time rival. "No one knows the employees of this Embassy better than you. I have no doubt that if you begin reviewing security camera footage that you'll find our spy. No one can keep up an impersonation twenty four hours a day without eventually making a slip up."
        "Very well." Da'an waved a hand before her. "You may go about solving your respective mysteries," she dismissed them.
        As the others departed, Boone moved to stand beside Da'an's chair and fixed his eyes upon the audience chamber floor. He was brought back to the here and now by Da'an's hand on his arm. She had risen and was standing beside him on the narrow platform.
        Their eyes met.
        "You must not blame yourself for the deaths of those three men," she said softly. "Had you not fired upon them at the instant in which you did, you would now be one with the void." Seeing his uncertain look, she continued. "William, where do you think the last bullet your assailants fired at you went?"
        He felt his hair stand on end. "How did you know...?"
        She blushed briefly. "In the moment that you feared for your life, I was with you. I felt and saw through your eyes." She stepped down off the platform, pulling him after her. "You did not imagine that he had fired his weapon," she continued as she turned in the direction of the ramp which led to their chamber, still leading him by the hand. "Only a blast the strength of the one your skrill did loose would have been capable of intercepting and obliterating that projectile. Your skrill sensed the danger and reacted appropriately." She stopped suddenly and turned to face him near the top of the ramp. "You were not responsible for their deaths. They themselves set in motion the events which led to their demise."
        He felt a wave of relief flow over him. He hadn't killed them, at least not through a miscalculation. Condor had intentionally released one of the more powerful bursts it was capable of. He felt a small sigh escape him and lowered his eyes self consciously to the ramp for a moment. When he raised them again, he saw that she was watching him anxiously.
        "Thank you," he said simply.
        Her hand came up to cup his shoulder and unwilling to settle for so impersonal a touch, he reached out, pulling her into a hug. Then they were kissing and he found that the fact that they were still out in the open - still on the ramp, made the moment all the sweeter. He was tired of acting the Implant. Tired of being thought her mindless servant. For just this one moment he felt as though he were free and everything was above board.
        A fire seemed to ignite between them then and it was Da'an who eventually broke their embrace, but only so that she could take him by the hand and lead the way up the ramp into the privacy of their chamber.
 

        Williams stood at the bottom of the ramp and watched with narrowed eyes as they disappeared. He had heard their voices and come to investigate, but never had he dreamed the sight which would greet his eyes. William Boone and the North American Companion were lovers! How, he was not certain, but that they were could not be denied. Up until then, he and his... acquaintances had thought that 'the consort thing' involved little more than Taelon thought sharing or some other sort of psychic bond, but now...
        Something major was happening between Da'an and Boone, as well as between Nivian and Zo'or.
        It was his duty to figure out what it was, and how to use it against them.

        Liam touched his shuttle down at the Paris airport just slightly before sunrise. He had researched every bit of archived footage captured by the home ship with regard to Thompson's recent trip and he had a good idea of how to retrace the footsteps of anyone who had arrived aboard Air Force One.
        If Beal entered France, he would need to have passed through customs and shown his passport, which meant that somewhere there was a record of his entrance. The only thing bothering him was that surely those who had greeted the Secretary of State, would also have mentioned having seen him, especially in light of his disappearance. His biggest fear was that Beal had entered with false papers.
        Unfortunately that was what had probably happened and tracing the man would be a bit more difficult.
        Leaving his shuttle, he began walking towards the officials who were moving across the tarmac to greet him.

        As soon as Belman finished making her house call and pronounced her fit enough to be up and about, Nivian showered, dressed in black stretch pants and a black turtle neck, then polished it off by throwing on a shimmery blue caftan which Da'an had bequeathed her.
        As she finished brushing her hair and pulled on some shoes, Zo'or re-entered the room. He was carrying a tray with a bowl of soup on it.
        "What are you doing?" she asked with a laugh.
        He gave her a long suffering look. "I have brought you a meal. Dr. Belman said to expect you to need excess calories at this time."
        "Zo'or... It's soup!"
        "What of it? Is it not a nutritious meal?"
        "Yes. But not for breakfast." She took the tray from him and set it on a desk.
        "Vegetable soup is far better for you than bacon and eggs," he rapped out. "I do not see why you humans eat certain foods only at certain times of the day. It is ridiculous!"
        "Call it habit," she shrugged. "Still... thanks for bringing it." She draped her arms around his neck and leaned against him.
        He instantly became more pleasant. "You are well then? You feel healthy?"
        She kissed him on the nose. "Never better."
        He smiled. "I am pleased to hear it. Now, please eat your breakfast. I must journey to the home ship to attend to my duties, however, I shall return as soon as I am able."
        She moved away and took a seat at the desk. "I understand."
        "If you require anything, ask it of Boone or Williams."
        "I'll be fine. Go on now."
        With a final nod, he turned and departed, but the glance he threw back at her just before he moved through the doorway communicated his reluctance to leave her.
        She sat at the desk until she heard the characteristic sound of the shuttle departing. Then she stood, lifted the tray and headed in the direction of the kitchen. To her surprise and delight, she found William already there preparing a large traditional breakfast.
        He turned and smiled at her as she placed her tray on the counter near the sink. "You're up early," he noted.
        "Dr. Belman was here at the crack of dawn to check on me."
        He lifted a brow. "She usually keeps later hours."
        "Zo'or," she explained in one word, causing the Companion's consort to grimace.
        "Remind me to steer clear of Belman the rest of the day."
        As she watched, he divided the eggs, bacon, toast and grits he had prepared onto two plates.
        "Da'an's never going to eat all that!" she laughed as her belly rumbled dangerously.
        He carried the dishes to the table and set them down. "Well, it just so happens that these aren't for Da'an," he laughed. "She had to go with Zo'or to the home ship. This is your meal. I was going to bring it up to your room, but you beat me to it."
        She felt herself blushing with pleasure as she took the seat he indicated. "I'm not used to having people fuss over me like this," she admitted.
        He poured two cups of coffee and then returned to sit opposite her. "Well, everyone deserves to be pampered now and then, so dig in."
        "These are grits, right?"
        "Yeah. I haven't had them in ages and when I found a box in the pantry I just had to make them. I take it that you've never had them before?"
        "No," she laughed.
        "Well, they grow on you, so you may have to try them more than once..."
        She took a forkful and tried them. "Kinda bland," she observed.
        "You can't eat them plain. You need to add a little butter, salt and pepper." He leaned towards her as he put a pat of butter on her grits.
        "William, why do you still wear your wedding ring?" she asked when she noticed it was still on his finger.
        He withdrew as though he had been slapped, one hand going to the ring and playing with it.
        "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked," She apologized. "I'm just not thinking clearly yet this morning."
        He sighed. "No. It's all right. It's just a very complicated question for me to answer."
        "Don't you think that Da'an wonders the same thing?"
        "If she does, then she hides it well. It's never come up and I've never gotten the smallest hint from her that it bothered her," he responded.
        Nivian fell to eating her breakfast, suddenly finding herself feeling hungrier than she could ever remember having felt before. Boone ate at a more leisurely pace, apparently amused by her sudden hunger. After sipping his coffee, he put down the cup and leaned back in his chair.
        "I don't really know why I still wear my ring," he told her. "Katie was my wife and she meant the world to me. Even though she's gone, I still think of her often. There's still a connection there that hasn't been broken yet. Don't get me wrong. You know how I feel about Da'an, but..."
        "But, you haven't yet finished mourning Katie," she answered for him when he seemed at a loss for words.
        "I guess. This damned CVI doesn't make it any easier, either."
        "Total recall is not the amazing gift some people think it must be. I understand completely how you feel. It's the way I feel about my first child. I still see her so clearly." She put down her fork and wiped at her eyes as she felt the tears starting. "At night, I sometimes awaken to the sound of her crying out for me."
        He leaned forward and rested a hand on her shoulder. "And you still agreed to carry this child for us," he said softly.
        She sniffed and tried to recover. "Hey, it's probably good therapy, right?"
        "How so?" He looked concerned.
        "Zo'or wants a child as well, but I don't think I'm ready yet."
        He looked stunned. "Is he regressing?"
        "No! Are you kidding?" she laughed. "Zo'or become more human? It's an impossibility. He wants me to allow their scientists to use the technique which your own sister was subjected to." At his horrified look, She quickly added, "But there is no way I'll allow it."
        Boone downed the rest of his coffee and rose to get some more, taking her cup with him. "Would you like a cup of decaf?" he asked politely, even as he poured himself more regular.
        "Yes, please," she answered, amused by the fact that he was looking out for Braedan's health by denying her any more caffeine.
        After he returned with the coffee, they slowly sipped at it as the silence stretched on. It was William who finally broke it.
        "Does he treat you well, or does he bully you?" he asked.
        "He treats me well, but he does sometimes try to bully me," she admitted. "It doesn't work though. I am happy with him, Will."
        "That's all I needed to know."
        When they had finished their drinks, He rose and began clearing the dishes, putting them into the sink. There was a strict kitchen policy - you use it - you clean it, and few people dared to flaunt it for fear that the Taelons would simply remove the kitchen.
        Nivian joined him at the sink. "I wash, you dry?" she offered.
        "Sounds like a plan."
        About ten minutes later, Boone broke the silence. "Listen, Nivian," he said, as he began drying the last pot. "We're pretty certain that there's an intruder in the Embassy right now masquerading as one of us. I'd feel better if you stayed with me until Zo'or returns.
        She was momentarily stunned. "Does Zo'or know of this?"
        "If he hasn't heard it from Da'an yet, he certainly will any time now." Boone dried his hands. "Sandoval is working at uncovering the impostor, but just to be on the safe side..."
        "Don't worry. I'll stick to you like glue."
        "Good. Let's go get your coat then." Suddenly his global beeped. Boone gave her a look and flipped it open to reveal Zo'or on the screen.
        "Commander Boone, I have just learned from Da'an the events of last night. You will remain near Nivian at all times today." He glared at Boone. "I hold you personally responsible for her well being, is that clear?"
        "Perfectly clear Zo'or," he answered instantly.
        The global went dead and Boone put it away as he gave Nivian a funny look. "As I was saying, let's go get your coat. I have someone I need to see."
        They headed back towards the central ramp together.

        By mid morning Sandoval's head was hurting. He had reviewed over twelve straight hours of security camera footage from different locations within the Embassy and still had not found anything amiss. With a groan, he stood and stretching his back, walked to the windows.
        He had many more long hours of review ahead of him and was beginning to wonder if there might not be a quicker way to ferret out the impostor. By the time he discovered him this way, it would be a whole new year!
        He leaned on the sill and looked out over the street below. Why had their enemy bothered to plant a spy amongst them anyway? Did they really think that they would be able to uncover secret Taelon agendas? The government ought to know better than that. After all, they had tried planting him within the Taelon hierarchy and what had they gained there?
        Nothing except the loss of a top agent.
        Sandoval snorted. The fools hadn't even known about the motivational imperatives contained within the miraculous CVI's which the Taelons bestowed upon their chosen ones.
        Shaking his head at the string of miscalculations which had resulted in his current situation, he looked down at the main Embassy entranceway below and froze.
        Williams had just emerged and was walking down the street.
        A glance at his pocket watch showed the time as 10:38 a.m. The chief security guard was supposed to be watching out for Nivian while Zo'or was away. It was his primary purpose, one which was carefully hidden from the other employees behind a list of other smaller tasks which he performed.
        Sandoval pulled out his global and punched in Boone's code.
        "Sandoval? Find something?" the redhead asked. He appeared to be standing in the audience chamber.
        "Maybe. Do you know where Ms. Ibraham is right now?"
        "She's here with me." Boone moved the global so that she became visible on the screen for a moment. "... in the Honolulu Embassy. Why?"
        "What are the two of you doing in Hawaii?" he asked in confusion.
        "I'm running down a lead on the stolen holo technology. Nivian is with me because Zo'or ordered me not to let her out of my sight."
        Sandoval chewed his lower lip for a moment. "Did anyone else know that she was leaving with you?"
        "No. Now again, why?"
        "I may have a lead in my investigation. No time to talk now though!" He signed off and grabbing his jacket off the back of his chair, ran in the direction of the central ramp. Only a few minutes later he was out the front Embassy door and heading down the street after the departing guard.
        The man walked a few more blocks and then turned and walked down an alley between two buildings.
        Sandoval counted to thirty and then slowly started down the alley as well. It hooked the the right, so he eased up to the corner and very carefully dropped down to a squat before peering around it. He saw the end of the impostors coat disappear through a back doorway just before it closed resoundingly behind him.
        Standing, he walked to the door and looked it over. Judging by its position, and the garbage piled outside, he would guess that it led to the bar he had passed while trailing the man. It wasn't really Williams - he was certain of that now. Too bad. He had genuinely liked the security chief. Wherever he really was, it didn't look good for him...
        Still, he himself had caught a lucky break, not only in identifying the impostor, but in managing to tail him to a rendezvous with his contacts. Now all he needed to do was to find out who he was and who he was working for.
        Reaching into his breast pocket, he pulled out a lock pick and went to work on the bolt assembly. He found the exercise strangely pleasurable - a throwback to the old days when he had really earned his keep.
        It was over almost too soon, as the bolt gave with a satisfying click.
        Slipping silently into the dim interior, he got his bearings and slowly began making his way through the kitchen and toward the bar itself.

        Augur stretched with a groan and rolled over onto his back. It must be getting late. Lili never woke him before ten unless they needed to be somewhere.
        "Lili, I..." He sleepily blinked his eyes open to find Boone sitting on the edge of the bed glaring down at him.
        "Argh!!!" He scooted back and sat bolt upright.
        "Well good morning to you, too," the resurrected Implant smirked.
        Startled and completely disoriented, Augur glanced around him and then at the alarm clock. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" he asked indignantly as Lili appeared in the bedroom doorway in her robe. "It's the dead of morning - not even dawn yet!"
        "An Implant's job is never finished," he rumbled as he stood up. "Get your clothes on and come out. It just so happens that you may be the only person with the answers to some big questions of mine. Unfortunately for your beauty sleep, I need them now."
        He glared after the large man until he saw Lili giving him a nasty look.
        Uh-oh! Whatever was happening, it looked as though he were in trouble!
        As soon as she shut the door behind her, he rose and pulled on some pants and a T-shirt, then moved out into the living room.
        Boone was pacing the floor, sipping from a large cup of coffee which Lili had made him.
        A pacing Boone was rarely a good thing.
        "So what is it that you think I've done this time?" he asked.
        Boone turned to face him. "Holo devices," he stated. "How many have you produced and who have you sold them to?"
        Augur felt his phony smile disintegrate.

        Sandoval hugged the wall of the ladies room and left the door partially open. In the darkened room, he was all but invisible to the three men talking out by the bar. He, however, could see their reflections quite clearly in the mirror which ran behind the bar and down part of the wall which led to the rest rooms and kitchen.
        What really had him shaking in his shoes was the fact that he recognized the two men who met with the impostor. More than recognized - he knew them well. Meyers and Danford were responsible for recruiting him to his current position.
        He strained to hear what was being said, but even in the closed bar, the three kept their voices low and he realized with a wave of frustration that he wouldn't be getting the details of the impostors assignment so easily.
        Suddenly, Danford walked around the back of the bar and pulling a bottle of whiskey off the shelf, poured up three shots for himself and his comrades. He lifted his glass high and said quite clearly, "Here's to you, Maynard, for having the guts to enter the lion's den!"
        As they drank, Sandoval slid down the wall until he was squatting.
        The impostor was none other than Peter Maynard, his one time best friend and fellow agent!
        He had barely recovered from the shock of that discovery when he heard them approaching and slunk further back into the woman's room.
        "Do you really think that you can bring him back?" he heard Meyers ask.
        "Hey. I have to try. He's my friend and it's our fault that he's become what he has," the phony Williams replied. "Any luck with the captured Implant?"
        "None yet," Meyers answered. "Williams is still under the control of that MI Zo'or gave him."
        "Poor guy." Maynard sighed. "It should have been a simple assignment for him. Who would have guessed that the Synod Leader would have a security guard Implanted..."
        Then the three of them were out in the alley and the metal door clanged shut behind them.
        Sandoval waited a few minutes and then wandered out to the bar and poured himself a shot.
        It was times like this when he wished he could still get drunk.

        Boone re-entered Dro'vha's audience chamber to find the Pacific Companion sitting before the open virtual glass windows with Nivian. He was gently rubbing her belly with both hands and blushing furiously.
        Nivian noticed him first.
        "William. Thanks for allowing me to visit with Dro'vha. I've really enjoyed the view and the company."
        Dro'vha removed his hands and stood to greet him. "And I thank you for the opportunity to make the acquaintance of both Nivian and Braedan." He bowed his head in a sign of respect which Boone found embarrassing.
        "I just figured that this would work out better than dragging Nivian all over the place with me," he explained. "I'm glad that you two enjoyed the time together."
        "Did you discover what you had hoped to?" Dro'vha asked him.
        "I think so. Anyway, we'd best be getting back before Zo'or does." Before Boone could move the help Nivian up, Dro'vha beat him to it, offering his hand to the woman seated on the sill behind him. She took it without hesitation and was gracefully pulled to her feet.
        "Nivian, you are always welcome here," Dro'vha said solemnly.
        She squeezed his hand before letting go. "Thank you."
        Boone bowed and gave the Companion the usual leave-taking gesture and then the two of them headed for the shuttle bay.
        "Did your informant give you any useful information?" the scientist asked en route to 'The district'.
        "Yeah," he sighed. "I'm afraid so."
        Nivian seemed to understand that he didn't want to discuss the investigation, so they spent the final few minutes of the flight in companionable silence.
        They touched down in the Embassy to find Zo'or waiting for them in the shuttle bay.
        The Synod Leader moved to help Nivian disembark the instant the shuttle came to a full stop, and then turned to glare at Boone.
        "When I told you not to allow her out of your sight, that was not permission to drag her half way across your world while you went about your usual business!" he snapped.
        Boone  bowed briefly. "You didn't make that clear to me at the time or I most certainly would not have done so."
        With his nose in the air, the Synod Leader took Nivian's arm and led her back into the main building.
        He watched them go and shook his head. "I don't know how she can stand it," he said under his breath. Then he also entered the Embassy, intent upon seeing Da'an. He knew from their link that she was in the audience chamber at present, but she had no meetings scheduled. Because of the bad press they were experiencing, the Taelons had decided to keep a low profile for the time being.
        Rounding a corner which connected to the central ramp, he met up with Sandoval and immediately stopped.
        "What have you learned?" he asked expectedly.
        The attaché looked as though he had been startled out of some deep dark thought process. It took him a moment to focus on the here and now and Boone knew that he had been having a CVI intrusion.
        "I'm not certain," Sandoval finally answered.
        "What do you mean you're uncertain? Either you've discovered something or you haven't."
        The other Implant stiffened, apparently insulted. "I mean just what I said - I'm not certain," he snapped. "I need time to sort through some things and when I've ascertained whether it amounts to usable information, I'll let you know."
        That said, he went upon his way.
        "Great..." Figuring he had nothing to loose, Boone pulled out his global and beeped Kincaid. The hybrid promptly appeared on the screen. "Tell me you have something," he asked the Protector.
        "Other than that Beal entered the country with a false ID, no. I'm attempting to retrace his steps, but he was riding with some government agents, so I think this is going to be a tough one."
        "French or American agents?"
        Liam's smile was almost blinding. "French."
        "Just what we need - an international conspiracy!"
        "Hey, I thrive on subterfuge." Liam suddenly looked off screen. "Boone, I've got to go now. I'll check in later," he said just before he cut the transmission.
        Closing his global slowly, Boone mulled the information over and then continued on his way to the audience chamber. When he entered, he found that Da'an was seated in her chair, her arms resting lightly on the sides and her face partially downcast, as though she were contemplating her knees. She seemed to be in a trance or simply communicating with the Commonality.
        Moving slowly into view directly before her, he saw her eyes glance briefly at him before she again cast them down. She knew he was there. There was little to do now but wait.
        He didn't have to wait long.
        After just a few more minutes, she straightened up and gave him her attention. Reaching out a hand to him, she invited him to step up beside her chair. He took her hand as he made the move and instantly felt her satisfaction over whatever it was which had occurred.
        "I have come from a meeting of the Synod," she offered. "It has been decided that we shall make no further protests of innocence in the matter of Beal's disappearance. We shall instead, work towards solving the mystery and then expose our enemies to the public." She looked up at him, as ever amazing him with the incredible phosphorescent blue of her eyes. "It is therefore mandatory that we resolve this as soon as possible."
        He nodded. "Thank you for the update. Now, what is it that had you so engrossed a minute ago?"
        "I succeeded in making a tentative contact with Nivian. She informs me that she is to see Dr. Belman this evening and has promised to come to me before then."
        Suddenly it all made sense. "You haven't had a chance to communicate with the baby yet today," he said softly.
        She stood up. "That is correct. Zo'or is fiercely protective of his consort, a trait which makes contact with her difficult."
        They stared at each other for a moment and Boone was about to speak when she beat him to it. "Still, I shall meet with her later and this pleases me. Come, let us walk about the garden. The sun is warm today and the wind has finally died down."
        He smiled, overjoyed at the chance to simply walk and chat with her. Offering her a hand down, he put all thoughts of the investigation out of his mind, determined to simply enjoy the interlude.
        They quit the chamber together.

        "Peter was trying to bring him back to the fold."
        The thought kept echoing over and over in Sandoval's mind.
        Damn! But this opened a whole new can of worms! Why was it that every time Pete tried to help him out, he ended up in a worse predicament?
        The Bureau, apparently with the government's blessing, had Williams and were using the unfortunate man as a guinea pig as they attempted to learn how to destroy his MI. This in itself was not a real problem, though Williams himself would surely think otherwise. No. The problem was that he knew his old cohorts too well. They wouldn't stop at merely removing MI's. They would try to find a way to replace them with their own motivational imperative, turning their enemy's slaves into their own.
        Sandoval shuddered at the thought.
        His second problem was Maynard himself. He wasn't just trying to get him, he was also spying on Da'an and Zo'or, looking for information which could be used against them.
        What was he to do? He didn't want Pete harmed, but exposing him would most likely cost him either his life, or his free will.
        Then there was the matter of Williams to deal with...
        He sank into the chair in front of his computer terminal and began running through every possible course of action.
        He didn't much like any of them.

        Zo'or stopped momentarily in confusion, but then followed Nivian as she suddenly did an about face on the ramp which led to his chamber. He would have asked her where she was going and why, but she was already too far ahead of him and he didn't much relish the thought of raising his voice in the central hub where it would surely be amplified for all to hear.
        She turned into a small employee lounge and by the time he himself had entered, she was on the telephone.
        "Yes, I'd like a large with extra cheese, green peppers, black olives and mushrooms. Oh, and could you put extra oregano on it too? Fifteen minutes? Good. The name is Ibraham. Thank you." She hung up and turned to give him a smug look.
        "Which pizzeria?" he asked automatically.
        "The usual."
        "I shall send Williams to get it," he replied. "Come now. Let us return to my chamber."
        "Zo'or, I'm tired of being in that room all the time," she complained as she crossed her arms in front of her. "Please just let me go about my business as usual today."
        "It is far too dangerous," he protested. "I am certain that Commander Boone must have informed you of our security... problem."
        "As if anyone would have any interest in hurting me, of all people."
        He was momentarily taken aback. "Surely you have not given this much thought," he admonished her. "You are the consort of the Taelon Synod Leader! What is more, you carry the unborn child of a natural Taelon-Human mating. You are the first person whom our enemies would seek to exploit!"
        She turned pale. "But nobody knows..."
        "We have a spy amongst us, Nivian. We must assume that the enemy does know." Seeing the way she began to shake, he steered her to a chair and helped her to sit. With a wave of his hand, he activated a small data terminal and summoned Williams, then he turned to give her his attention once more.
        Her shaking had not abated.
        Becoming frightened for her, he was about to once more activate the data stream and call for Belman when both Da'an and Boone entered the room.
        Without hesitation, Da'an moved to kneel before the now comatose consort and placed her hands on her abdomen.
        "Da'an felt Braedan call out to her," Boone explained to him even as Da'an broke contact and turned to face them.
        "It is as I feared," she surmised. "Boone, you must carry Nivian back to Zo'or's chamber immediately!"
        Before Zo'or could even protest, the Implant had swept Nivian up on his arms and was moving quickly out of the lounge. There was little he could do but follow, his fingers quivering in dismay. "What is the matter?" he asked Da'an as they ascended the ramp. "Is she in danger? We must notify Dr. Belman!" The sight of Nivian swaying, unconscious, in Boone's arms filled him with a terrible sense of dread.
        "I believe that both she and Braedan will be well Zo'or," Da'an soothed. "It is only that we have overlooked something of significant importance."
        Then they were entering his chamber and as soon as he saw Boone lower Nivian into a particular seat there, he knew what it was that Da'an had been referring to.
        The North American Companion waved on the energy stream, even as she moved to kneel beside Nivian again. Her hands grasped Nivian's own as she anxiously watched her face.
        When Nivian's eyes suddenly fluttered open, Zo'or broke free of his momentary paralysis and moved to stand in the stream with them, pulling her hands out of Da'an's grasp so that he himself might join with her.
        <"I am here,"> he reassured her. <"All is well now.">
        <"What happened?">
        <"The infant requires an energy stream as any Taelon would,"> he answered. <"Somehow this has affected your own well being.">
        She looked down as Da'an again placed her hands on her belly. "Is he all right?" she asked, suddenly as terrified than Zo'or himself had been a moment before.
        Da'an looked up at them then and visibly relaxed. "Braedan is well," she sighed. "He had begun drawing from your own life force and was not himself in any immediate danger. He did, however, realize after the fact that his actions had begun to harm you. That was when he called out to me through the link."
        Nivian relaxed, but Zo'or found himself annoyed. "I heard nothing!" he challenged.
        Da'an rose and faced him. Her expression was gentle, which only served to further irritate him. "You were not meant to hear Braedan's call. It was specifically for myself and Boone."
        "You heard him?" he asked the Implant, who, he just realized, was standing behind Da'an, with his hands upon her shoulders.
        "I did, but it was Da'an who understood him. I had trouble making sense of the strange rush of sensations and images I received." He laughed softly. "I guess that was the Taelon version of baby talk?" he asked his Companion.
        She simply nodded as she fought to suppress a smile.
        He looked from one to the other of them and then turned his attention back to Nivian. "Are you well?" he asked, running a hand over her smooth cheek.
        "I feel fine now," she smiled.
        "I am relieved to hear it, however, I believe that we should still summon Dr. Belman to be certain that nothing else shall occur."
        She pouted. "But I'm still so hungry - Please, can't it wait until after I eat?"
        He heard Boone snicker and turned a deadly look upon him. The Implant had the good sense to become silent.
        "I'm sure that you two have other matters to attend to," he addressed Da'an.
        The Companion's face fell. "Nivian, it is my wish that the rest of your day be uneventful," she said as she took her hand. "If there is anything you require..."
        "...then I will see to it," Zo'or finished.
        With a wounded look, Da'an nodded to Boone and together they departed.
        He turned to find Nivian glaring at him. "They just helped me," she said. "You didn't have to be so rude!"
        "You are my consort and yet I've not spent but a few minutes in conversation with you all day," he responded, his hands going to her hair so that he might run his fingers through it. "Da'an needs to know that she is not welcome to you at all hours of the day and night."
        She sighed and closed her eyes as he played with her hair. "You still could have been more tactful."
        Invigorated and excited by the energy stream, he was about to lean down and kiss her when her belly rumbled loudly. She must truly be hungry! Where was Williams with the pizza? If the guard didn't show soon, he would have to take her to Belman despite her protests.

        Sandoval intercepted Maynard in the corridor just seconds after he re-entered the Embassy. Before the impostor knew what was happening, he had been yanked into the small utility room he had been on the verge of passing and thrown up against the wall.
        It was dark inside but enough light came in from the hall for him to recognize his attacker.
        "Sandoval!" he protested. "What's the meaning of this? Zo'or..."
        Without a word, and going by feel alone, the attaché grabbed the holo device off the man's shirt and pocketed it.
        Instantly Peter Maynard became visible.
        "You were saying, Peter?"
        "Ron..." The spy smiled charmingly. "Let's not overreact here. This isn't what it seems..."
        "Really?" He looked Pete up and down. "It seems as though you may have turned Williams into a lab rat, set the Companions up for a big fall and perhaps... decided to bring me back in from the cold while you're trying dig up further dirt on my... employers." He grinned at the startled man. "Well, I have news for you. I'm not under their control any longer. I work for them because I WANT to!"
        Peter sputtered before he could get a coherent word out. "No. No - you ARE under their control! The Ronald Sandoval I knew would never have sold out to the Taelons!"
        "Oh please, Peter," he interrupted him. "You work for someone as long as I've worked for the Taelons and you begin to learn a great deal about them. Let's just say that I find their motives purer than the Bureau's. Now, if you had tried to 'rescue' me years ago, maybe it would have been different," he spat.
        "What are you going to do?" Maynard asked, apparently resigned.
        "Oh, expose the government's little hoax, to begin with," he shrugged. "Of course, in order to do that, we would have to keep your capture a secret..."
        Pete's eyes opened wide as he felt the hypodermic enter his hip. Before he could say anything else, he slid down the wall and collapsed in a heap.
        Sandoval stared at him a moment, saddened by the years which had effectively destroyed their friendship. Then he placed the holo device on his own collar and stooping to pick up the pizza box, headed off in the direction of Zo'or's chamber - but not before locking the small room behind him.

        Boone answered his global, but kept an eye on his Companion while he did so. She was currently seated in her audience chamber chair watching various news broadcasts, but he could tell that she was still deeply upset by the possibility that she might not have further contact with Braedan this day.
        "Yeah, Sandoval," he greeted his caller. "I take it that your information is significant enough to share after all?"
        The attaché looked grim and uncomfortable. "Yes. I'm afraid so. Would you please meet with me downstairs in my office?"
        "On my way." He closed the global and approached Da'an. "I need to meet with Sandoval," he explained, as she turned her gaze towards him.
        She nodded her consent and returned to her perusal of the data stream.
        After a worried pause, he turned and left the room.
        Sandoval was waiting for him in the corridor outside his Embassy office door. He gestured Boone inside and immediately closed the door behind them.
        It didn't take an empath to tell that he was on edge.
        "Just spit it out," he calmly prompted the other Implant.
        Sandoval did just that, telling him of the meeting he had observed in the bar earlier that day and his ambush of Maynard, as well as his own assumption of Williams' identity so that he might deliver Nivian's pizza without raising Zo'or's suspicions.
        Boone listened silently to the entire story before speaking. "Zo'or actually had Williams implanted?" he asked with a deep concern. "Why?"
        Sandoval gave him a pitying look. "Williams entire purpose was to protect Nivian. Although he is loyal to the Taelons, it is Nivian's safety which is is primary motivation."
        Boone sighed. "I should have known that Zo'or would do something like that."
        "It came as a shock to the Bureau as well," the attaché breathed. "They thought that they had finally gotten the perfect spy planted. I can only assume that Williams was originally also supposed to help bring me back to the organization..."
        Boone nodded. "I can understand why you failed to bring this up earlier. I would have been cautious as well if I had been in that situation," he assured the attaché. "My big question now is; where do we go from here?"
        Sandoval nodded. "I figured that I'd have Maynard stored away at Vandewater - right under the Bureau's very nose. Once we spring Williams and find Beal, we can inform them of his whereabouts."
        "You actually want to rescue Williams?" he asked, amazed.
        "You don't really want the FBI to unravel the secrets of the CVI, do you?"
        Boone sighed. "For a moment there, I actually thought you wanted to do it for Williams' sake."
        "Well of course I do, Boone!" Sandoval's face flushed angrily. "Do you think this is easy for me? I just knocked out the man who was once my best friend! What? Do you think you're the only Implant around who has any compassion left in him? That's not the case anymore!"
        "Whoa whoa whoa..." he said, as he lifted his hands in a mollifying gesture and tried to calm the distraught man. "I'm sorry. You're right - I had no right to say that. Now calm down and tell me what measures you've taken so far."
        Sandoval visibly struggled to regain control and when he spoke again, his voice was nearly normal. "I've given the holo device to Kent. He's going to carry on the impersonation of Williams. I've also had Maynard transported to Vandewater with an undercover guard. His new 'orderlies' will make certain that he remains a model patient and well away from the Bureau's notice."
        "Excellent. Any ideas on how we might spring the real Williams?"
        "Leave that to me Boone." Sandoval's smile was unpleasant and predatory. "I'll have him back within the next few days."
        He snorted. "Now how did I know you'd say that?" he asked, actually drawing a small smile out of the man. "So everything now hinges on Liam finding Beal."

        "Well Doctor, can you explain this oversight?" Zo'or asked, blushing blue with displeasure. Nivian lay on an exam table amid several different monitors as both she and the infant she carried were scanned.
        "Relax, Zo'or," Belman responded after checking several of the displays. "We surmised that she would eventually need to use an energy stream. We just never imagined that the baby would make such huge energy demands on her this soon." She moved to stand beside Ban'hn at a particularly large monitor screen. "Both Nivian and Braedan are fine," she finally added after perusing the display.
        Zo'or moved to stand beside them so that he might see for himself what engrossed them. Before him was a three dimensional picture of the infant, digitally recreated by a Taelon computer using all the information gathered from the surrounding equipment.
        Ban'hn pointed to one of the readouts. "The infant has already increased significantly in size since yesterday. According to projections based upon this growth, I estimate that it shall reach typical nine month human gestational maturity in less than four weeks time."
        "Four weeks?" Nivian asked, still motionless upon the table. "I'll burst! It's too fast!"
        Zo'or quickly moved to her side and took her hand.
        "Do not fear," Ban'hn replied. "We have ways to help your own body to grow more quickly."
        "Just make sure that you're here every evening around this time," Belman added. "You'll spend about fifteen minutes on the table and then you'll be ready to face another twenty four hours with little or no dicomfort." At Nivian's anxious look, she added, "Oh, it's not painful at all! I suspect that in the last week you'll find yourself looking forward to it."
        "This is hardly a comforting thought, doctor!" Zo'or shot back at her.
        "Look, it's really no big deal," Belman reassured Nivian. "You've done all this before, so now that you have the basics down, you'll be taking the 'crash course'. Take your vitamins, get some light exercise daily, eat when you're hungry, use the energy stream every morning, keep your daily doctor's appointment and both you and the baby will thrive. If you experience any unusual symptoms, call me immediately, got it?"
        Nivian couldn't help but laugh as Zo'or helped her to sit up. "OK. I got it."
        A moment later Boone and Da'an had left the observation room and moved to join them.
        Once again he felt a sudden irritation and displeasure as the North American Companion first took Nivian's hands and then moved to communicate with her transferred offspring. On the other side of the machinery, Boone was grinning from ear to ear at the computer generated depiction of his son.
        It was too much.
        Leaning forward, he physically removed Da'an's hands from Nivian's stomach and then all but dragged his consort from the room and to the elevator which led to the roof. Before Boone or Da'an could follow, they were in the shuttle and headed back to the Embassy.
        Only then did he notice that Nivian was almost in tears...
        And angrier than he'd ever seen her.
        He reached out to her, but she refused to take his hand, instead staring straight ahead at the pilot's back. He had an idea what was upsetting her, but as she was not about to bring it up until they were somewhere more appropriate, neither was he going to do or say anything which might, as the humans said, cause a 'scene'.
        Still, he began to dread the final few moments of the flight. The looks she shot his way were enough to make any Taelon blush and seek retreat.
        He had barely even completed the thought when the shuttle began its descent to the hanger.
        As soon as they had touched down, Nivian was up and stepping down from the shuttle. He did his best to keep up with her as she swiftly moved in the direction of their chambers, but she managed to stay ahead. As soon as she reached her own room, she plunged inside, barring the door behind her. He stared at it in shock for a second, amazed that she would do such a thing.
        "Nivian," he called out. "Allow me to enter. I no longer find this behavior amusing."
        There was no answer.
        "You must realize that I may enter by other means if I so choose."
        Her voice came from near the wall and left little doubt that she had been crying. Still, it was steely. "And you must realize that there will be serious consequences to such an unwanted intrusion."
        "How am I to know what it is which I've done to upset you, when you will not even face me?"
        "You know why I'm mad!"
        "Then how am I to make amends. Allow me to enter so that we may commune."
        "I can't - I'm just too angry right now," she sniffed. "Now go away, will you? Just... go away."
        In something of a daze, he wandered back down the ramp, confused and hurt by her bizarre display. Then he found himself silently returning to the spot outside her portal, where he stood and listened for a clue as to what she was doing within.
        She would have to emerge sometime - to eat if nothing else.

        It took a short while to get a shuttle to take them back to the Embassy and as it turned out, it was the same one which Zo'or had appropriated so unexpectedly.
        As they took their seats and made liftoff, Boone surreptitiously glanced in Da'an's direction, still worried by her continued silence after Zo'or's rude interruption of her contact with Braedan. He had tried to offer her some support while they awaited the shuttle, but she had been caught up in her own thoughts, stepping away from him and staring out over the roof at nothing in particular.
        He couldn't take it anymore.
        Reaching out a long arm, he managed to snag her hand and held it tightly. "Are you OK?" he asked softly.
        She turned to look at him then and he saw the worry in her face even as her thankfulness for his support came back at him through their joined hands.
        "I am well," she assured him. "However, I worry for Nivian."
        <"You know that Zo'or is just jealous,"> he thought at her, so that the pilot would not overhear them.
        <"I am aware of what motivates him... this time,"> she replied. <"But I do fear that he shall smother her in his need to have her to himself.">
        He nodded. <"I understand, but you must also know that Nivian is fairly independent. I can't see her simply allowing that to happen.">
        She spoke aloud then. "It is my hope that you are correct." Giving his hand a quick squeeze, she withdrew her own and turned to watch their approach to the Embassy docking bay.
        Only a few minutes later they were making their way towards the Audience Chamber when Da'an paused and tilted her head slightly.
        "What is it?" he asked.
        Her head turned in the direction of the next ramp.
        "Something is amiss," she said softly, before turning and heading up the other incline.
        After a short walk up the ramp and around the curvature of the wall there, Boone came to a sudden stop behind the equally surprised Companion.
        Zo'or squatted dejectedly against the wall outside Nivian's chamber portal and spared them but a single irritated glance before turning his stare back to the wall opposite him.
        Boone continued to gape at the Synod Leader for a moment, and then his eyes slid over to the closed portal even as Da'an's own eyes fell upon it. They exchanged a look and then his Companion placed her hand against the door.
        "Nivian, please allow me to enter," she asked softly. The portal instantly opened and she stepped inside, vanishing as it closed once more behind her.
        Boone looked back down at Zo'or and was unnerved to see that he had neither moved, looked up or even protested Da'an's entrance into Nivian's room. Now that he really looked, he noted that the alien's normally restless hands were hanging between his thighs and utterly motionless. Suddenly feeling sorry for the nearly unlikable alien, he hunkered down beside him and likewise stared at the far wall.
        Several minutes ticked by and he found himself blowing his breath out in frustration as he searched for and failed to find a way to initiate a conversation. Finally, desperate to break the uncomfortable silence, he said the first thing which popped into his mind.
        "Woman troubles, eh?"
        Instantly, he wished the ground would swallow him whole - how could he have said something so... so... As he shook his head in embarrassment, he noticed that Zo'or's eyes had shifted to look at him and he turned his own head to meet his gaze.
        Those alien eyes looked him up and down, but Zo'or's stare was, for once, not scornful. Rather his eyes seemed larger than usual and very very defensive.
        "What do you know of it?" the Synod Leader sniffed.
        He couldn't help but nod his head and smile slightly. "Quite a bit more than you, I'd wager," he replied.
        Zo'or turned back to his contemplation of the wall and another silent interval followed. Again, it was Boone who broke the silence.
        "OK. Here's my explanation of what's going on here," he said, throwing caution to the wind. "Nivian's angry and upset that you interrupted Da'an's communication with Braedan, not to mention that you then dragged her out of the exam room as though she were a possession you could move about at will. She's so angry in fact, that she just wants you to stay away while she calms down. Meanwhile, you see nothing wrong with dragging her away." He turned to look at Zo'or, who still stared straight ahead. "Am I right?" he asked.
        The Synod Leader suddenly seemed to wilt.
        "You realize that you're acting like a jealous human," he added.
        "I am a Taelon..." Zo'or began.
        "But not an ordinary Taelon. You happen to love a human. The fact that you are capable of such an emotion means that you are also prey to the darker side of that same emotion," Boone amended. "Look, Nivian's in a very difficult situation - carrying someone else's child, consort to an alien and having a dangerous security breach to deal with as well. Not to mention the sudden hormone overload - which we just won't get into." He stared at Zo'or, who for once seemed to be paying attention to him. "She's stressed. Now, the best way for you to help her is for you to come to terms with the fact that she does not belong to you. Allow her some space. Let her eat what she likes, when she likes. Most of all, let her visit with her friends, and that includes spending as much time with Da'an as she wants to. Be there for her - just don't try to run her life."
        "I am curious. Has Da'an ever fallen prey to jealousy?" Zo'or asked him after a pause.
        Boone thought back upon the time Da'an had initiated a sharing with Elise Chapel. "Yes," he answered. "Of course she has. I don't think that anyone who's ever loved someone hasn't eventually dealt with it." He looked at his watch and stood up. "I need to contact Liam," he announced. "Take my advice on this. Leave here and attend to something else. Let Nivian seek you out when she's ready. Don't worry - she will."
        As he started back down the ramp, he heard the Synod Leader rise to his feet behind him.
        "Boone."
        He stopped instantly at the sound of his name and turned.
        "Thank you." Without waiting for a response, Zo'or turned and headed up the ramp to his own room.
        Putting his hands on his hips, Boone grinned and shook his head in disbelief. "Who would have thought that he'd ever say that?" he whispered to himself. With a sigh, he finally continued on his way, suddenly glad that he had taken the time to try to reason with the difficult leader.

        Liam's global beeped, causing him to smile. "Right on time,' he said aloud as he secured his position and pulled the device off his belt.
        Boone wasted little time on pleasantries. "What have you got?" he asked as soon as Liam's screen blipped on.
        "Only the answer to all our questions," he smirked as he briefly looked heavenward. When his eyes returned to the screen, he could see that the Implant's face stared blandly back at him as though he were willing to wait forever for him to finish answering the question.
        He had feeling that Boone was annoyed with the delay and quickly got to the point. "Andrew Beal is currently using the name, Alexander Brewer," he responded. "He is posing as a financial consultant to the French President and he's staying in the President's chateau on the Riviera."
        The redheaded security chief looked suitably impressed. "I suppose that you've verified all this for yourself?"
        "I'm sitting high up in a tree on a hill overlooking the back of the property as we speak," he answered, turning his global around and then pointing it at the ground far below. When he again looked into the small camera, he saw that Boone was trying hard to suppress a smile.
        "Show off," he deadpanned.
        "Hey - whatever gets the job done."
        The Implant became serious again. "How's security?"
        "Tight, but I'm sure that the properly prepared journalist could cop some good photos with no problem."
        This time Boone smiled for real. "You learn fast."
        "I have a devious teacher."
        "OK. Pull back and make sure he doesn't suspect anything," Boone instructed. "I'll let you know when to make that call to the local press."
        "You got it." Liam was about to close his global when Boone spoke again.
        "Liam. Careful getting down from the tree," he cautioned.
        "You don't get down from a tree. You get down from a duck," he couldn't resist answering.
        Boone looked like he had been eating a lemon. "Thank goodness you no longer live with Augur," he commented with disgust as he signed off.
        "That wasn't funny?" Liam actually felt somewhat wounded for a moment. Then he put away his global and prepared to descend from his perch. As he did so, a breeze whipped up, causing the branch he was on to sway precariously. He stared at the ground for a minute until everything stabilized and then began to gingerly move again.
        It really did turn out to be a whole lot harder than the climb up had been.

        Elated by Liam's successful investigation, Boone closed his global and then collapsed back onto the bed. Once Sandoval had completed his assigned task, he would put in motion the events which would lead to the humiliation and discreditation of both the US and French Presidents. The Taelons would be cleared of all wrongdoing.
        He frowned fiercely.
        The problem was that he wasn't certain that it would be for the best.
        With a sigh, he closed his eyes and pondered all the possible ramifications.
        The next thing he knew, the mattress was shifting under him and he opened his eyes to find Da'an leaning over him as she planted a kiss on his forehead. Reaching up, he cupped her neck and brought her head back down for what turned out to be a slow, languid kiss.
        "I don't remember falling asleep," he murmured when they came up for air, "But I do so enjoy it when you wake me up."
        She blinked slowly, an action which he always thought of as the Taelon equivalent of a shy look.
        In another moment, he had rolled her onto the bed next to him and gathered her to his side. "So... How is Nivian?" he asked after kissing her nose.
        "She is better now," she answered. "We have communed and Nivian now knows that she may seek us out at any time of the day or night. She is more than welcome to shelter herself within our company."
        He nodded. "Zo'or doesn't seem to be taking this very well," he told her. "He actually listened when I offered him some advice."
        She turned those brilliant eyes upon him. "But will he actually heed it?"
        He blew his breath out. "That is the question of the day, isn't it?"
        They rested together for a short while, simply enjoying the feel of each other.
        It was Da'an who called an end to their little 'time out' by sitting up. "What progress have you made with regard to the Secretary of State's disappearance?" she asked.
        In reply, he sat up and held out his palm.
        With a small smile, she moved her own to meet his.
        There was the familiar sensation of her mind, her thoughts, everything that she was touching him, brushing against his own soul. Information which would otherwise have taken many minutes to impart, was shared almost instantaneously.
        Boone felt her pleasure at the progress which had been made, but couldn't help but feel saddened when he felt her beginning to move away - to end the sharing. Instantly reacting to his disappointment, she was back as he felt her fingers suddenly meshed with his own, joining their hands tightly. Their link was thrown completely open, but this time the purpose was not a sharing of information - it was a sharing of self.
        He groaned aloud as he lay back upon the bed, pulling her down with him.

        Hours came and went without the slightest sign of Nivian's presence and although he was sorely tempted to use their link to ferret out what she was up to, Zo'or resisted the impulse. Instead, he intentionally dampened down their connection, making certain that she herself could not check in on him.
        Angrily, he had summoned Sandoval and demanded an explanation as to why the intruder had not yet been located.
        The attaché had assured him that the intruder had been identified and was no longer a threat. He had also filled him in on the progress which was being made with regard to Andrew Beal.
        He had been pleased by the news and revealed some progress of his own. Taelon scientists, under his instruction, had developed new internal sensors for all the embassies - sensors which would allow the embassy to identify and jam any such holo projections in the future.
        "We are also completing a process which will allow the home ship to scan an area on your planet and do virtually the same thing," he had added.
        "This is excellent news," Sandoval had responded. "It will make security at our public appearances much tighter."
        "Indeed. You are dismissed. I wish a resolution to the Beal affair as soon as possible."
        Sandoval had bowed and withdrawn.
        With his exit, Zo'or found himself once more slipping into a state of anxious waiting.
        The day slowly continued to pass by as he remained within his chamber, his mind continuously dwelling upon his consort. Over and over he wondered what she was up to and told himself, 'she will come to me any moment now'. Yet, as each moment ticked by, the frustration and hurt and anger built ever higher within him.
        "Oh this is what I deserve for tying myself to a human," he said aloud, in his native language, as he paced before the windows. His hands and fingers were moving in a rapid jerky motion before him, as though they possessed a will of their own.
        It was the orange glow of the setting sun which eventually brought his pacing to an end. Stopping, he leaned wearily upon the sill and watched dully as the sun sank below the horizon.
        An entire day had been lost.
        He of all Taelons could not afford to waste them.
        Moving before the data stream, he summoned his pilot and then left to meet him in the shuttle bay.

        Sandoval moved purposefully down the corridors of one of the Bureau's top Research Centers. Research Center, he snorted. Personally, he had always thought of it as a chamber of horrors.
        Disguised as Maynard and carrying his ID card, his sole purpose in being here was to retrieve Williams if he could, and end his suffering if it came to that.
        It didn't take him long to locate the group of labs being used to research CVI's.
        He was moving past a row of small labs when a commotion around the corner caught his attention. Moving cautiously, he made the turn and looked through the double doors there.
        It appeared to be an operating room and several gowned individuals were heading in his direction. He backed up as they pushed through the doors, tearing off their gowns in the process. One of them was Meyers and he quickly noticed him.
        "Peter. What are you doing here?" Meyers asked.
        "Checking up on Williams."
        Meyers suddenly looked pale. "I'm afraid that he didn't make it."
        "What?" Sandoval felt his hair stand on end as the other man nodded back in the direction of the operating room. Without a word, he turned and moved into the room, approaching the draped body upon the central table. A flick of the wrist uncovered it.
        "Oh God," he found himself mouthing.
        Williams lay there, a serene look upon his face, but his head was held fast in a surgical tong vise, his skull open and his brain exposed.
        "What did you do?" he asked as the anger began building within him. "What the hell did you do?!"
        "We were so close to actually excising the control portion of the CVI package..."
        Sandoval grabbed him by the collar and hauled him close. "Once delivered, a CVI cannot be removed! The brain pathways collapse without it! The best anyone can do is to simply change the motivational imperative."
        "That's what the Taelons say anyway," Meyers hissed.
        "That's also what some of the best physicians working with the Taelons say!" he responded, wishing that he could make the man understand that not all of those doctors were loyal to the Companions.
        "We were close this time," Meyers responded, as he angrily released himself from Sandoval's grip. "Very close. The autopsy may give us the final information we need."
        "How many people have you experimented on?"
        "What is wrong with you?! You know that these people have no chance at living within society again unless we succeed! This is far better than keeping them locked away until their CVI's burn out and kill them anyway!"
        "I'll SHOW you what's wrong with me..." he found himself hissing. A glance toward the hallway showed him that the others had long since departed. Taking a deep breath, he communicated his will to the creature on his arm and then raised it and pointed it at the body on the table. The entire room seemed to ripple around them as the skrill released one of the more devastating blasts it was capable of.
        In a flash, Williams' body, the table it had been on, a ten foot area of the back wall as well as everything in front of it... simply vanished. Only then was the low booming rumble of the blast's passage heard.
        Sandoval instantly swung around and trained his skrill upon Meyers. "Don't move!" he warned.
        "Sandoval!" Meyers squeaked as the building's alarms began to blare.
        "Walk towards me," the Implant ordered. As soon as Meyers was within range, he grabbed his shoulder and shoved him towards the hole in the wall. "Move it, Meyers!"
        "You'll never get away with this..."
        Sandoval laughed. "Isn't that what they all say?" he pushed the man ahead of him, into what proved to be a large laboratory and took out his global. Flipping it open, he called up a 3D wire frame map of the building. Then he put the global away and grasping Meyers by the scruff of the neck, shoved him towards a small utility closet, which he quickly opened.
        "You gotta be kidding!" Meyers sneered.
        Another skrill blast disintegrated the closet floor. "I don't kid," he panted, as he shoved the man forward.
        Meyers fell through with a yell as Sandoval straddled the hole long enough to close the closet door behind him. Then he jumped through as well.
        He landed on his feet to find a stunned Meyers trying to draw his gun.
        "Don't!" he warned, lifting his skrill so that it was pointed right at the man. In the dark, unused service tunnel, the skrill was lit brightly, it's hissing echoing eerily.
        Meyers froze.
        Sandoval moved towards him and yanking the gun out of the man's shoulder holster, tossed it down the hall behind him. "Now, stand up," he ordered. Again Meyers obeyed him.
        Together they began moving down the corridor.

        Boone had managed to tempt Nivian out of her room and down to the kitchen for some Chinese take out and had only just seated himself at the table with her and Da'an when his global chirped. Withdrawing it from his belt, he stood and moved back to the counter, where he opened it.
        "Boone."
        Sandoval's sweaty face appeared on the screen. "You better get a hold of Liam," he panted. "Williams is dead and it won't take the Bureau long to figure out that I'm the one who breached their security!"
        His eyes widened in horror. "Dead?" Then his concern turned towards his fellow Implant's situation. "Where are you now?"
        "Slowly making my way back to my vehicle. Unfortunately, I have a.... witness." Sandoval shot a dirty look at someone off screen. "I can keep him quiet for a few hours at most before his buddies find him."
        "Do you require any assistance?"
        "No. No, just set the wheels in motion, will you?"
        "You got it. And Sandoval - we'll be expecting you back soon," Boone said with a nod, drawing a small sign of gratitude in the look he received before the link was severed. He slowly closed the global, lost in a maelstrom of sudden thought, when he felt a touch on his arm and turned to find Da'an standing beside him, a questioning look upon her face.
        "What is it which delays you?" she asked, her head tilted to one side.
        "Nothing Da'an, only that..." He sighed. "Nothing. I'll get right on it. Please, enjoy the meal - both of you. I won't be long." Without giving Da'an a chance to ask any further questions, he turned and made quickly for Sandoval's office.
 
 

        Sandoval left Meyers hog-tied and gagged in the dead end of a side tunnel and then made his way to the manhole which his global showed was closest to the parking lot where his car was parked. Climbing the ladder, he found that the cover was bolted in place and sighed. He would have to unleash another blast.
        Climbing back down, he positioned himself off to one side and began taking long, deep breaths.
        This one was going to hurt...
        Raising his arm, he exercised his will, imagining the cover being vaporized in place. Instantly, he felt as though a vice gripped him, even as a wave of icy cold spread to every part of his body and his breath felt as though it were being sucked from his lungs. The skrill sucked energy - his very life-force from him, transforming it into a blast which pounded through the bones of his right arm as it shot away.
        There was a blinding flash and in the next instant he was crumpling to the tunnel floor. As he gasped for breath and slowly regained awareness of his surroundings, he became aware of blue sky above him.
        Not a trace of the heavy manhole cover remained.
        It was five minutes before he could regain enough energy to haul himself out.

        Liam stood off to one side with the gathering crowds and watched as a veritable army of reporters jockeyed for position outside the villa.
        Someone moved to stand beside him and he looked to his right to see Sandoval surveying the scene.
        "Good job, Kincaid," the attaché said with a nod. "I couldn't have done any better myself."
        He found himself smiling at the unexpected praise and quickly suppressed it. His eyes traveled over Sandoval's haggard looking features even as he noted how pale the man looked.
        "Are you OK?" he found himself asking.
        The handsome Asian Implant smirked. "Overused my skrill," he explained. "And I haven't had a chance to eat yet. What say we check out one of these famous French eateries after we're done mopping up here?"
        "That depends," Liam smirked. "Are you buying?"
        "I think this one is on Zo'or," Sandoval grinned back, flashing a corporate credit card which said, 'Companions' on it in large print.
        Liam rolled his eyes. "The rewards of being a Protector..."
        "You better believe it." Straightening his tie, Sandoval moved off in the direction of some of the reporters who had just recognized him.

        It was on the evening of his second straight day away from Earth, that Da'an sought him out. He was seated in his command chair aboard the home ship's bridge when she appeared and, although he sensed her presence, he nonetheless kept his attention fixed upon the main monitors.
        He had no intention of acknowledging her. She would have to be the first to speak.
        Slowly she approached him, sidling up as close to his chair as possible, willing him to greet her. It was only when she was finally certain that he would not do so that she spoke.
        "It pleases me to inform you that the Beal incident is about to be laid to rest," she said slowly.
        "In our favor?"
        "Of course. Even now, the media gather evidence of the plot to discredit us."
        "Excellent." he waved the data stream on, ready to scan the world news for the first signs of the breaking story. As he did so, he saw Da'an's eyes travel over the other Taelons present within the room, as though uncertain that they should be hearing what she was about to say next.
        She turned back to him and appeared momentarily startled by his obvious perusal of her.
        "You do not make it a habit to play messenger," he noted. "What is it which really brings you to me?"
        "With the current difficulty resolved, I assume you will be returning with me to the Embassy?" he asked, as she regained her composure.
        "I shall not."
        She blinked in surprise and merely stared at him, awaiting an explanation.
        He gave her his coldest look. "My place is aboard this ship," he continued. "I have been neglecting too many of my responsibilities."
        "And what of your consort?" Da'an asked, her voice indignant. "She patiently awaits your return."
        "Really? She has yet to even contact me." He swiveled his chair away from the Companion then, so that she was left staring at his back.
        It didn't deter her. A second later she was standing at his shoulder and leaning close to speak near his ear.
        "How can you claim to love her and yet treat her so abysmally?"
        When he looked over his shoulder, he could see that her eyes were narrowed in severe disapproval.
        He swung around to face her again, nearly knocking her off her feet with his own legs. "If she shows the least interest in my whereabouts you may inform her that I now reside here. She is, of course, welcomed to move in with me. She need only inform me of her decision to do so and all shall be arranged."
        She continued to stare at him for another minute before she spoke. "You are not deserving of your consort," she sighed. "And it is my fear that you may yet lose her..."
        Before he could react, she was gone.
        He turned once within his chair, his glare aimed at everyone in the room to make certain that they went back about their work and left him in peace. Then he gripped the arms of his chair tightly and mentally willed Nivian to do the logical thing and move aboard. He knew she would not be happy, but it was the only way in which they could be together without Da'an, Boone and a myriad of other people interfering in their relationship.

        Da'an returned to the Embassy and slowly made her way to Nivian's chamber, at a loss as to how to best present Zo'or's news to her.  Amazingly, when she approached the door, she found it open. Now that the Embassy was once more secure, Nivian obviously felt comfortable enough to openly invite visitors in.
        Or perhaps she was hoping that Zo'or himself would enter?
        Still, Da'an stopped on the threshold and softly asked permission to enter.
        "Da'an! Come on in," came the woman's voice.
        She stepped inside to find Nivian seated crosslegged on a small cushion upon the floor. Moving closer, she stooped down somewhat and curiously observed what she was doing.
        Nivian opened her eyes as she changed position. "It's called yoga," Zo'or's consort explained. "I used to do it all the time. It's a great, low impact way to tone up and stay in shape."
        "I have heard of it, however I have never before seen it demonstrated."
        "Well, you're welcomed to stay," Nivian said with a smile. "Are you already back from the home ship? Did you see Zo'or? When will he finish up and come home?"
        Da'an saw the woman's face change before she could even answer and it took her but a few seconds to realize that the her own suddenly restless fingers must have given her away. With an effort, she lowered her arms.
        "Zo'or will not be returning to this structure except in his official capacity as Synod Leader," she finally answered.
        "What?" Nivian slowly rose to her feet. "Are you saying that he's left me?"
        The Companion became somewhat confused. There was an alternate meaning to Nivian's phrase....
        <"She's asking if Zo'or has 'put her aside' as his consort,"> Boone's thoughts came back in response to her automatic query.
        "No," she quickly assured Nivian. "He has returned to his proper home. As Synod Leader he should remain aboard the home ship."
        "But, what about us?"
        "It is his hope that you will move aboard with him."
        Nivian's eyes widened, as though she were horrified by the idea and she slowly sank down to sit on the edge of her bed. "Live aboard the home ship? Not walk the earth for extended periods of time? I would be pregnant and surrounded by the very Taelons who think of me as an animal... I can't live there!"
        Unable to think of anything comforting to tell her, Da'an sat on the bed next to Nivian and put an arm around her shoulders.
        "It's too much to ask! What would I do while he's busy?"
        Da'an sighed. There really was nothing of interest on the home ship for her. It would be foolish to attempt to see the 'bright side' of Zo'or's latest decision. "You do not have to move there. Zo'or has left the matter in your hands."
        Nivian turned her wide eyes towards her. "He pushes me too far... Da'an, he's given me an ultimatum! Him or you. THAT is what this is about. He expects me to leave everything I love to be with him!"
        What could she say? The woman was right. "Then this is a decision which only you can make. Do not make it in haste. If you fail to move aboard the home ship, Zo'or may well return to you in spite of himself."
        "No. No - he won't," she said sadly, with a shake of her head. Standing, she moved to the window and slapped the sill with both hands. "Damn him! Why..." her voice trailed off. "Could I have some time alone please?"
        Da'an stood up. "Of course. Nivian... do not hesitate to seek me out if there is anything I may do to help."
        The silver haired woman turned then and shot her a small smile. "Thank you."
        Da'an departed, waving the portal shut behind her as she went. Deeply disturbed by the way in which Zo'or's and Nivian's bond failed to make them of one mind, she walked slowly, wondering if she and Boone might one day end up at odds with each other.
        Eventually she entered her audience chanber and stopped silently near the entranceway to watch Boone when she saw that he was present. He was standing beside her chair watching the news broadcasts, his hands upon his hips and a small frown upon his face. She found herself smiling slightly at the way in which he refused to sit in her chair, despite the fact that she had once told him that he could do so on occassion, when she was not conducting... business. His respect for her and her position had never wavered, regardless of their continually growing closeness.
        As she watched him a very tender emotion gripped her once more and she knew that her relationship with him could never be compared to that of Zo'or and Nivian. Their bond was a triumph which would survive even beyond this existence.
        With a sigh, she glided into the room and moved to join him.
        He acknowledged her with a nod and watched as she took her chair before turning his attention back to the data stream.
        "What news?' she asked as she too focused upon the world news.
        "Everything is proceding as we anticipated," he shrugged. "The US and French governments have yet to release any statements, however the reporters are already stating that it appears to be a joint - and failed -  effort to discredit the Taelons."
        She nodded. "Excellent. This shall also boost our position during future negotiations with those governments."
        Turning her head to look up at him, she noted the deep frown upon his face.
        "What is it which troubles you?" she asked.
        He sighed and shifted his feet. "I don't like this. It may well give Zo'or too much of an advantage."
        Unsure of how to respond, she said nothing.
        "I need to leave for a short while," he announced uncertainly.
        "Very well."
        With a quick bow and a salute, he was gone.
        Her gaze remained upon the ramp he had taken for a quite some time after his departure. He had gone to see Doors, of course. She didn't need to probe their link to know that. She only hoped that he would remain safe and that his cover would not be compromised.
        Again she was struck by the differences between their relationship and Zo'or and Nivian's.

        Boone found Doors sitting at the conference table before the large view screen. He had his ever-present drink in hand - and a guest beside him. He found himself stopping, dumbfounded, when he recognized the other person as Lazarus. The man had dyed his hair a dark auburn color.
        Of course his other 'self' would know the location of the base. Still, it had been a rather unexpected surprise.
        "Aren't you supposed to be laying low?" he found himself asking.
        "Who's going to recognize me in a city this size?" came the response, as those cool, but expressive eyes turned to take him in.
        Boone snorted. It was just the kind of smart-aleck thing he would have said. He instead turned his attention to Doors.
        "Jonathan, if there was ever an opportunity for you to make a statement, this is it."
        The billionaire gave him a measuring look. "I've been mulling it over, believe me."
        "May I ask what you're thinking about saying?"
        "May I ask when you were going to tell us that you're going to be a father?" Doors shot back.
        Boone stood silently, momentarily stunned, as Lazarus sat bolt upright and stared at him, appalled.
        "Marquette filled me in," Doors said, answering his unspoken question.
        "She had no right to pass that along without my permission."
        "She had EVERY right!" Doors snapped. "We're talking about a human/Taelon mating which has resulted in a child! The ramifications of this are... frightening."
        Lazarus turned towards the billionaire and spoke next. "How so?"
        "We're talking about the possible death of the human species as we know it," Doors hissed. "Think about it - a merging of our race and theirs so that nothing of each original species remains. We've all known for quite some time that Da'an has been in favor of such a merging. Now it's coming to pass!"
        Boone sank nervelessly into a chair as Lazarus continued to argue his side.
        "Da'an has never advocated any such merging without the express cooperation of the human race. She would never force such a future upon us."
        "Da'an is a Taelon! She would take whatever measures necessary to insure that her race continued to survive in some form or another!"
        "We are talking about one hybrid child here," Boone finally said. "And it is against all odds that the infant has even survived to this state of development. It would be virtually impossible to orchestrate a wide scale merging of this sort. Even the Taelons have acknowledged that their hybridization project is not efficient enough to provide them with an adequate number of such individuals to help in the coming Jaridian conflict."
        "Which is why I exist," Lazarus added.
        Doors took a big gulp of his drink and glared at them as Boone came to his feet.
        "Jonathan, you better not be thinking of doing what I think you are," he all but growled.
        The billionaire's smile was singularly unpleasant. "Or you'll what?"
        Rapidly losing control of his temper, Boone followed through on his last sane course of action -  he stalked towards the elevator, intent upon leaving. Surprisingly, Lazarus was at his side when he got there and they rode the lift up together.
        "Will... what are you going to do?" his doppleganger asked as they exited into the church basement.
        "The only thing I can do," he huffed. "Ride it out."
        Lazarus nodded. "Is there any way I can come back to the Embassy with you?"
        He looked the man over, suddenly noting how tired, how down he seemed. "Zo'or is aboard the home ship and likely to remain there," he told him. "Sandoval shouldn't present a problem anymore... I don't see why you can't visit tonight."
        A smile split Lazarus' face. "Good," he said in a quavering voice. "I've got a lot to catch up on and a Taelon who deserves some congratulating."
        "Oh? What about me? It's not like she accomplished this all by herself," he said, pretending to be indignant.
        Lazarus gave him a stern look. "Maybe not, but I'm sure she did all the work."
        Laughing together, they headed in the direction of his car.

        An hour after his arrival in the Embassy, Lazarus bid Will and Da'an good night, saying that he would wander about his old haunts for a short while and then depart.
        Being back within the walls of the place which held so many fond memories had turned out to be bittersweet in the extreme.
        It wasn't his home anymore. He didn't belong here and never would again, but that knowledge didn't prevent his heart from bleeding. Seeing Da'an and Will together had been hard, but the knowledge that she was indeed with his original self helped make it bearable.
        The two of them had filled him in on the pregnancy, among other things, but there had been an awkwardness that could not be shaken.
        It had been a terrible mistake for him to come here.
        Just then he looked up and found himself at the doorway which led to the garden. It was here where he would bid his final good-byes to this place he had come to love.
        The garden... A place which held the best memories of all...
        Getting up his nerve, he pushed the door open and walked outside.
        The floodlights positioned on the outside of the Embassy's structure lit the garden as brightly as day. Small bulbs were starting to push their way up through the soil, bringing the future promise of daffodils and crocuses. The gardeners had already begun raking and replacing mulch so that they might soon work their magic in this place.
        He slowly moved towards the central fountain, but stopped when he saw that a cloaked figure was already sitting at the edge of the small pool.
        She had short, silver hair which caught the light and did nothing to change the youthful appearance of her face. He had the impression of large eyes and a full mouth beneath a straight, pointy nose. All in all she was strikingly lovely, but gave off such a melancholy aura that he found himself aching to discover who she was and why she was so sad.
        He also felt drawn to her in a way which made alarm bells go off in the back of his mind.
        No matter. He would be leaving this place for all time soon enough. Surely there would be no harm in talking with her.
        She looked up as he moved to stand before her and the startled expression on her face soon gave way to a curiosity which mirrored his own.
        He spoke first. "May I sit here?"
        "Please." Her voice was pleasantly pitched and sent a thrill through him.
        There was an awkward silence for a few minutes, until he again broke it. "You looked a little down," he observed. "Since I feel that way myself, I thought I'd wander over so that we could commiserate."
        She laughed. "Misery loves company."
        "That it does."
        "Are you an acquaintance of Da'an's?" she asked, looking him over.
        "Yes - and Will's as well." He held out a hand, deciding to trust her. "My name is Lazarus."
        Her smile widened as she took his hand. "Lazarus! I really am pleased to meet you. I'm so very glad that you got away with your life!"
        He felt himself blushing. "So am I..."
        "My name is Nivian," she informed him.
        He felt the bottom drop out of his good mood.
        "What's wrong?" she asked, noting the loss of his smile.
        "Nothing," he lied. "I'm pleased to meet you Ms. Ibraham, but I need to be going now." He rose to his feet, but she reached out a hand and laid it on his arm, stopping him where he was.
        "Please... don't go yet," she pleaded, her eyes looking misty. "I could really use someone to talk to... and I feel as though we're old friends."
        "Only because you know Boone," he said bitterly.
        "True," she admitted. "But you must think of it as the compliment it was meant to be. You are a very caring human being."
        Completely flustered, he sank back down onto the fountain edge beside her.
        "So, what is it which brings you such distress?" he asked shakily, even as he cursed his own ridiculous sounding words.
        Amazingly, she smiled slightly. "I'll give you a single guess," she sniffed.
        He felt his heart skip a beat. "Zo'or..." he breathed.
        She nodded. "He wants me to move aboard the home ship with him."
        He couldn't help but stare at her, amazed that the troll of a Synod Leader had somehow managed to claim such a woman.
        It was only when she averted her eyes and blushed that he realized he was still staring. Quickly he looked away.
        "If leaving here will bring you such grief, then you must not go," he advised her.
        "But then I won't see him."
        "Have you had this conversation with Will yet?" he asked.
        "No. He's been very busy. I have spoken with Da'an, though."
        "And what did he... SHE tell you?"
        "She said that only I could make that decision."
        He nodded. "She's right, but if you want to know my advise..."
        "I do! Please - what do you think?"
        He placed one hand on her back, between her shoulder blades and leaned forward to look her in the eye. "I think that you should remain here, amongst those friends who are willing to sacrifice everything for you, rather than give them up for someone so selfish as Zo'or. Nivian - he doesn't understand love or he would never have put you in this position."
        Her eyes fell to her knees before returning to meet his. "He's not like you imagine him to be," she whispered. "He's different than the other Taelons... and lost - so lost... He does love me - he's just jealous and..."
        "And nothing!" he said more forcefully than he had meant to. "He's manipulative in the extreme and he will think nothing of it to have you disappear when you begin to interfere too much in his plans. Be careful that you don't awaken a conscience within him, for when that happens, he'll walk away from you and put all memory of you from him. The survival of his species comes before everything else - and that includes you!"
        She looked stunned. "He wouldn't. We're bonded."
        He leaned closer yet. "There is nothing to prevent him from downloading select parts of your memory into someone else and programming them to be the perfect consort."
        Tears began to roll down her face and he felt a sudden shame rising up within him. Who was he to destroy all her hopes and dreams? Who was he to so viciously attack her choice of a lover?
        Who was he but a poor duplicate of someone else who bitterly resented the fact that Zo'or had gotten to her before he could?
        "I'm so sorry..." he groaned, just before he pressed her towards him and kissed her full on the lips.
        The kiss couldn't have lasted but a few seconds, but to him it felt like an eternity of sweet torture. When he released her, she stared at him with huge, shocked eyes even as he bolted to his feet.
        "I'm so sorry..." he repeated, and then he was walking as quickly as he could for the gate which led to the street outside.
        "I am such a moron!" he berated himself aloud as the wrought iron swung shut behind him. Then he broke into a run and headed off toward the nearest place where he could catch a cab, still unaware that Nivian had risen with him and followed him half way back to the street.

        Boone watched Lazarus run off from the window in the upper chamber.
        "I do not believe this!" he moaned.
        "I feel your alarm," Da'an said, moving to stand by his side. Down below in the garden, she noticed Nivian. "What has occurred?" she asked tensely.
        "Something truly frightening," he replied, unable to tell her of the new complication that had entered their lives. He had felt his duplicate's agitation during his conversation with Zo'or's consort, followed by his anguish when he had unexpectedly kissed her.
        Lazarus was smitten with the silver haired consort to the Taelon who had nearly destroyed him.
        He sighed and threw an arm about Da'an's shoulders. "It's getting late. Let's turn in," he suggested. "Besides, there's something I need to tell you about Jonathan Doors..."
        Together, they headed for the rear ramp.

        "To recap; we've just listened to Liberation leader Jonathan Doors making a statement about the state of affairs in Washington," the news anchorman said. "Mr. Doors has made the point that, although he feels the Taelon's motives are untrustworthy, that President Thompson's own actions in this affair point to him as being equally untrustworthy. He has stated that we, as Americans, need to band together and elect to office someone who is honest and will keep us informed of the Taelon's machinations."
        "In addition to this, and of greater note, I think, is the fact that Mr. Doors has stated that our own North American Companion has conceived a child with her human Protector, William Boone. He has cautioned that such an event is significant in that it shows that the Taelons are capable of interbreeding with humans and creating a new, hybrid race of beings who may one day replace both parent species."
        The newsman blinked once at the camera before continuing. "The Washington Embassy and Da'an have yet to release a statement either confirming or denying Jonathan Doors' claims."
        Zo'or waved off the datastream and turned his chair so that he was facing Da'an's image in a second such stream. His face was a cold mask.
        "And how do you explain how Mr. Doors came by this information?" he asked the Companion.
        "We have yet to ascertain that," Da'an responded.
        "We have thwarted an FBI infiltration and a Washington deception only to have the Liberation turn the entire incident to their own advantage," he spat. "If you were any other Companion, I would have you recalled to the home ship and replaced!"
        Da'an bowed her head and remained silent under her superior's glare.
        After a moment, Zo'or swiveled his chair so that it was once more facing front. "And how shall you explain your child to the humans?" he asked, his eyes fixed upon one of the large view screens.
        "We shall announce the truth," she replied simply.
        Zo'or's eyes flicked over to her for a moment. "Very well, however you shall leave Nivian out of it."
        With a quick bow of her head, Da'an disappeared from the fading stream.
        Standing, Zo'or wandered over to the main bridge windows and looked out at the beauty of the blue planet far below.
        They would never be fully welcomed here. It was obvious that they were, for the most part, tolerated for the technologies they were willing to slowly mete out to their hosts. When would the backwards humans understand that they needed his race, that without them, they too were doomed? Useless to come right out and tell them so. They would never believe until it were far too late.
        Da'an had once supported her parent's urgent message - that the Taelons remove themselves from Earth space never to return. Better that they meet their end at the hands of the Jaridians, that the humans might be spared, she had argued.
        Bah! Even if they had withdrawn after receiving Ma'el's message, chances were good that the Jaridians would still stumble upon the Earth and enslave it's primary race. No. Their fate was tied up with that of the humans now.
        They would not be going anywhere, and he would continue to try to find a way to defeat their foes, regardless of how many humans he used up in the process. Regardless of Nivian's arguments, the loss of thousands, or even millions was preferable to the loss of billions - of an entire race, let alone two.
        Nivian...
        Shaking his head slowly, he suppressed those black and distasteful thoughts. They consumed enough hours of his days as it was.
        His thoughts instead turned towards his consort.
        He missed her more than he was willing to admit. She still had not contacted him, either.
        Would he be strong enough to deny their bond if she chose not to come to him?
        Somehow, he seriously doubted it.
        With a final look out over the world below, he turned and moved back in the direction of his command chair.

        Boone cornered Lazarus in Liam's apartment the next afternoon.
        "Please - tell me that I'm wrong about you and Nivian," he said as soon as his duplicate opened the door to let him in.
        Lazarus had the good grace to flush. Turning, he headed back for the kitchen and offered Boone a seat before sitting to finish his cereal.
        Boone sat, but crossed his arms in front of him, obviously impatient for an answer.
        "Look. There's nothing to worry about," Lazarus finally answered around a mouthful. "There is no me and her."
        "So you're not going to see her again?" he asked suspiciously.
        "How could I? I'm a fugitive from the Taelons and she lives in the Embassy."
        Boone watched as he finished his breakfast, still uneasy about the situation. In his opinion, when two people responded to each other, there was little which could keep them apart. He and Da'an were living proof of that.
        The situation had all the hallmarks of a tragedy in the making.

        Da'an ran into Nivian late that afternoon within the Embassy garden and was relieved to find the consort in a happy frame of mind.
        "I see that you are much improved from yesterday," she said with a smile. "Have you reached a decision then?"
        Nivian smiled and nodded. "I've decided to remain here. If Zo'or really does care, then he'll be back. Won't he?"
        "One can only hope."
        "I've also decided to shop when I want to and live as I want to," she answered. "I've always been independent and these past months within the Embassy have been... stifling to say the least. I've already arranged to go back to work part time at the Lab."
        Da'an allowed a relieved smile to crease her mouth. "It pleases me to hear you say this. Only promise me that you will allow some measure of security during your outings and you shall be allowed to come and go as you please."
        "Until Zo'or finds out..."
        "He cannot imprison you without your consent. Only remember this when dealing with him," she advised.
        "I'll try."
        "Would you wish some company during your visit to Dr. Belman?"
        Nivian seemed to brighten. "Sure. You know that I enjoy the time I spend with you. Besides, you'll get a chance to really see Braedan."
        "I see him always in my mind," she sighed. "Yet I would not turn down the opportunity."
        Together they moved about the garden paths and paused to watch as one of the gardeners sank fresh bulbs into the ground around a small cherry tree.

        With a sigh, Nivian discarded the unattractive hospital gown and quickly pulled on her own street clothes. Dr. Belman had been right - after a visit and some time spent underneath the device she called the Taelon torture gun, she always felt calmer and more comfortable.
        It was when she found herself unable to finish zipping her pants that her smile faded. She had been able to zip them when she had dressed that morning - barely anyhow. Now there was just no way. Ah well. In three weeks it would all be over with anyway.
        Pulling out her shirt and letting it hang out to cover her zipper problem, she left the dressing room and started back down the hall towards the room where Da'an was, no doubt, still admiring the three dimensional image of her child. She had gone only a few feet when a second changing room door opened and Lazarus stepped out in a revealing hospital gown.
        They froze and stared at each other.
        She was the one to break the silence first this time. "Appointment with Dr. Belman?" she asked.
        He nodded numbly and then cleared his throat. "You?"
        "Same thing." She patted her thickening belly. "Stretching gizmo of some sort. It allows me to keep up with the baby's growth."
        Just then Braedan went ballistic, kicking for all he was worth. Even with her shirt hanging out, his contortions were obvious.
        Lazarus laughed and extended a hand. "May I?" he asked. She nodded, and he placed his palm against her belly.
        Instantly the baby quieted, even as Lazarus himself seemed to freeze. It quickly became obvious that a sharing had been initiated, which made sense once Nivian reminded herself that Braedan might just have mistaken the man for his father. Only a moment later, Lazarus removed his suddenly shaking hand and turned an awestruck look her way.
        "I know," she whispered. "He's... amazing."
        The auburn haired man nodded wordlessly and then cleared his throat. "I better get to the exam room before Belman comes looking for me..."
        "What are you having done? I'm sorry - you don't mind me asking, do you?"
        "Not at all," he sighed. "She's still trying to remove all the extra hardware that I'm carrying."
        "Oh." A sudden jolt of sympathy ran through her. "I'm so sorry."
        "Don't be. It isn't your fault." His incredibly sensitive eyes were drinking her in again, just as they had the night before and she felt herself melting beneath their gaze.
        This was crazy! Insane! How could she feel this way about him when she was bonded to Zo'or? Good God - if he ever saw this in her mind....
        "Do you have to see the doctor often?" she found herself asking.
        "Most days. You?"
        "Every day at two." Damn! Why had she volunteered that information?
        "I guess we'll be seeing each other then." Reaching out, he patted her belly. "Take care of your mom, little guy," he grinned. Then he was entering a door down the hall and she suddenly found herself alone with a smile on her own face.

        Zo'or stared at Nivian's image in the datastream and felt a sense of shock steal over him. "I do not understand," he said.
        "There is little to understand other than that I am not willing to give up my life to join you aboard the home ship," she responded. "I may not have family here, but I have friends, and things which I enjoy doing. I do love you and I understand that you have things which you must attend to - responsibilities which require you to remain where you are, but I can't live there with you."
        He found himself staring dumbly at her, even as his fingers began to twitch in a way which annoyed even him. "You are my consort."
        "Yes. And I'm sorry if you assumed that meant that I would give up everything for you."
        Almost before he knew what he was doing, he had waved off the datastream. Then, rising from his chair, he made his way to his quarters, where he collapsed upon his meditation mat, falling over backwards to rest upon his back.
        A most horrible sensation had stolen over him, a feeling of physical illness in which he felt both weak and dizzy. His abdomen seemed to by making some very odd noises and he felt as though something unpleasant was about to happen to him. Clasping a hand over his mouth, he shook with some violent, wrenching heaves and then was still again.
        He didn't understand what had just happened to him - and he didn't care. Slowly, he rolled onto his side and brought his knees up as he tucked his head down against them.
        Nivian was not to be part of his life after all.
        Feeling suddenly chilled to his very core, he lay there in a ball within the darkened room.
        Now what was he to do? Did it even matter anymore?

        The days quickly passed for those living in the Embassy. Da'an made a formal announcement of her child's birth, but omitted information about a surrogate mother being involved. She shunned the spotlight, refusing to grant meetings and intentionally hiding herself away in order to help further protect Nivian.
        Zo'or surprised everyone by remaining aboard the home ship. Though he communicated with Da'an as he normally would in his capacity as Synod Leader, he seemed to be pointedly ignoring his consort.
        Meanwhile, Nivian grew round and heavy with child, but seemed suddenly happier than she had been in quite some time.
        Boone put it all down to the fact that she was back at work and momentarily free of Zo'or's oppressive behavior, but even he was disturbed by her seeming lack of regard for his continued absence.
        Something just didn't seem right.
        It was Liam who clued him in to the full picture one afternoon when he stopped by to check on Lazarus.
        "Where is he?" he asked after Liam opened the front door and stepped aside for him to answer.
        The hybrid looked at his watch. "Well, if it's two in the afternoon - which it is - he's at the clinic seeing Dr. Belman."
        "Something wrong?"
        Liam shrugged. "The usual - Something about his implants. He won't talk about it though."
        "So he sees her often?"
        Liam snorted. "He sees her every afternoon."
        Alarm bells began to go off in his head. Nivian was at the clinic everyday at the same time.
        Bidding Liam a hasty good-bye, he hopped back into his car and drove over. After passing through security and arriving on the restricted level, he found Belman in her office catching up on her paperwork. It was slightly after two thirty and the fact that she was here could only mean that both Nivian and Lazarus were done for the day.
        Still, he had to ask, "Has Nivian already left for the Embassy?"
        Belman spared him a small glance. "I believe that you may find her downstairs in the coffee shop. Don't worry though - she knows to stay away from the regular stuff."
        "Thanks."
        He was just leaving the room when she spoke again. "Oh, and Will, Zo'or's on his way down as well. He doesn't appear to be in the best of moods, so you may want to steer clear."
        He felt the blood drain from his face and ran for the nearest stairwell. Perhaps he could get there first...

        Zo'or paused and blushed a brilliant blue when he spotted Nivian across the room. Just seeing her again was such a relief that he felt as though he could admit to anything, agree to anything, if only it would place her firmly within his life once more. He began moving forward through the small, but crowded room, when he was again brought up short - this time by the sound of her laughter.
        Only then did he note that she was sitting with a human male who was also laughing over something which they had shared.
        It was Lazarus...
        He felt as though the ground had opened up beneath him.
        That was when she suddenly noticed him and froze.

        Boone burst through the lower stairwell door and dashed down the main corridor on the clinic's ground floor, slowing to a walk only when he approached the café doorway. Even as he opened the door and stepped inside he knew he was too late. Zo'or was half way between him and the window seats where Nivian sat laughing with Lazarus.
        Even as he thought about creating a distraction, he heard Nivian laugh loudly and then saw the Synod Leader come to a sudden stop. It was patently obvious, even from his position that the three of them had suddenly become aware of each other.
        Instinctively, his body urged him to move between the Taelon and the two humans, but mentally he knew that he could do more good in the long run if the Synod Leader never learned that he knew of Nivian and Lazarus. He therefore moved to one side and took a seat at a table where he could watch what was happening from the corner of his eye.
        Nivian came to her feet with some difficulty, for she now looked to be at least eight months pregnant, and the look of horror - of absolute despair upon her face made his stomach lurch painfully.
        Lazarus rose at a more leisurely pace, ready to fight or take flight depending upon the Synod Leader's reaction.
        That reaction was unanticipated to say the least.
        Zo'or turned in place, his hands clenched tightly at his sides and his eyes glowing brightly as he lost control of his appearance. A full twenty seconds ticked by and then his facade was back in place.
        "Zo'or..." Nivian took a few steps towards him.
        That was when the Taelon moved.
        He made quickly for the door, looking for all the world as though his life had come to an end.
        Then he was gone.
        Boone rose and quickly moved towards the two shaken humans. By the time he got there, Lazarus had his arm around the crying consort and was trying to console her. The look he shot Boone seemed to warn that he shouldn't even mention their foolishness in allowing themselves to be caught together.
        He held his tongue, but raked them with his eyes.
        "It's not like that!" Lazarus protested.
        "But in your hearts it is," he countered. "Come on Nivian. We'd best get you back to the Embassy and allow Lazarus to quietly slip away."
        Clearly distressed, his duplicate removed his arm from Nivian and stood aside as he led her out.
        They were nearly to the door when Lazarus crumpled behind them.

        Da'an watched silently as Boone entered her audience chamber and approached her. When he stopped before her and greeted her with the proper gestures and yet still could not quite meet her eyes, she knew that the news was worse than she had imagined.
        "Tell me," she encouraged, as she leaned forward and gently placed her palm upon his cheek.
        With a lump in his throat, he did.

        Shut away once more within the comforting familiarity of his personal quarters aboard the home ship, Zo'or ignored the chiming of his door.
        He suspected that he knew who sought permission to enter and he would not grant it.
        He wanted no visitors, no one to link him with the events down below which had conspired to rob him of his consort. He was the Synod Leader. He still had his dignity.
        The portal opened and Da'an entered, uninvited. Pausing briefly near the doorway, she watched him intently for a moment as though gauging his mood. Only a few seconds more and the annoying Companion took a seat upon the meditation mat beside him. Though Zo'or kept his eyes fixed upon a star cluster outside the window, it didn't prevent the other Taelon from addressing him.
        "Lazarus has suffered a seizure," she said softly. "Dr. Belman predicts the complete failure of his implants within the next twenty hours."
        A small smile lit his face despite his intention to remain unmoved by anything Da'an might have to say.
        Da'an faltered and fell silent for a few moments.
        When she resumed talking, her voice was barely audible, as though she were forcing him to pay close attention to what she was saying just so that he could understand her
        "Nivian is in pain. Lazarus was her confidante - her friend. He was of no threat to you and merely helped to fill the void left behind by your desertion."
        His head snapped around to face her. "It was not I who deserted her!"
        "Was it not?" she challenged. "Your consort weeps bitter tears this night for her lost friend - and her fear that she has lost you as well. If you have any true affection for her, you should seek to comfort her. Do not allow your pride to destroy you both."
        Without another word, she rose gracefully to her feet and glided from the room.
        Zo'or's eyes dropped to his mat as he struggled to make a decision. Opening his link to Nivian, he was nearly overcome by her misery.
        It was then that all choice was taken from him. He knew what he HAD to do.

        Boone was pacing furiously before Da'an in the audience chamber. Realistically, he knew that there was little he could do for Lazarus. With most of his implants inoperative the man had reverted to his original personality. He was currently heavily sedated, as his frantic, yet delirious cries in Russian had been disturbing in the extreme to the other patients on that clinic level.
        That knowledge didn't prevent him from feeling responsible for the man and devastated by the knowledge of his imminent death. He should have spent more time with him! He should have -
        "William." Da'an's voice was gentle and immediately brought him to an attentive stop before her chair. "Lazarus' fate was beyond our control. At least he greets the void as himself."
        He sighed. She was right. The man they had known was a lab creation - a tortured duplicate of himself. Now, at last, he had regained his true memories. They should be grateful for that, at least.
        He would have said something then, but Zo'or's sudden, unexpected appearance in the room completely unnerved him.
        The Synod Leader looked him right in the eye. "Boone. Accompany me," he ordered.
        Bowing slightly to his Companion, he followed the Taelon leader out of the room and up the rear ramp to Nivian's room.
        "Wait for me here," Zo'or said, just before he entered the room, allowing the portal to close behind him.

        Entering his consort's room, Zo'or found himself freezing on the other side of the doorway, suddenly uncertain of what to say to her. Taking in his surroundings, he was relieved to note that she was apparently sleeping and he quietly approached the bed so that he might gaze down upon her.
        She was curled into a ball around a large pillow, dark circles under her eyes and her face still streaked with tears.
        With a shaking hand he gently brushed a stray lock of hair back into place and then forced himself to move away.

        Only a few minutes after entering Nivian's room, Zo'or was back in the corridor.
        "Follow me, Commander Boone," he was told yet again.
        Down the ramp to the audience room and then around the corner to the central chamber they went. Climbing the central ramp, they arrived at the shuttle bay and boarded Zo'or's waiting craft.
        "Belman's lab," he snapped at the pilot as they took their seats.
        Boone felt a cold hand grip his heart. Was Zo'or about to exact some sort of revenge upon Lazarus for having spent time with his consort? He tried to busy himself during the short trip by thinking of other, less ominous reasons for the visit.
        Then they were landing.
        A brief elevator ride took them to the secure floor and from there Zo'or led him directly to Belman's office. Without preamble, he pushed the door open, revealing the haggard and sleep deprived doctor sitting at her desk and scanning her monitor.
        "Remain out here," he was ordered, as yet again a door closed between him and the Synod Leader.
        When the Taelon emerged again ten minutes later, he raked Boone with a piercing look. "You shall return to the Embassy where you shall await a call from Dr. Belman," Zo'or informed him. "Once you have heard from her, you will awaken Nivian and bring her here. Is that understood?"
        "Yes Zo'or."
        The Synod Leader nodded and then was gone.
        "What was that all about?" Boone whispered under his breath. He still feared some sort of retaliation on the Taelon's part, but knew that Belman would never agree to harm a patient. Pushing her office door open, he made to confront her.
        "Not now Will!" she snapped, as she pulled on her white coat. "I've got way too much to do and little time. Just go on back to the Embassy as you were told." As she passed close to him on her way out of her office, her expression softened. She squeezed his forearm briefly. "Everything will be fine," she assured him before hustling down the hallway towards the exam rooms.
        Pulling out his global, he called for a shuttle and then slowly made his way back up towards the roof.
        "Color me confused," he grumbled along the way.

        It was well after three in the morning when Boone finally received the call he had been expecting. He had fallen asleep in bed fully clothed in the hopes of getting at least a few hours rest and now groped blindly around for the bleeping global, which had been resting on his stomach when he had first lain down.
        Da'an located it first and passed it over to him. He could see her eyes glowing dimly in the darkened room and realized that she too was now sitting up in the bed.
        "Boone," he said tensely once he had the device open.
        "Will, I think something's wrong with your global. I can't see anything," Belman's said, as her image on the small screen served to light up a small area of the room.
        "I'll have it checked out. Should I bring Nivian over now?"
        "Yes," she answered. "I'll explain everything when you get here."
        The global went dark as the doctor cut the transmission.
        With a groan, Boone forced himself to get out of bed. "Are you coming along?" he asked the disembodied blue eyes.
        "I believe that it would be best if only you accompanied Nivian," she answered, even as he heard her burrowing her way back under the covers.
        "Lazy," he teased.
        "No one who knows me could believe such a thing," she admonished.
        "You know that I'm kidding."
        "Yes. Besides, you are the one who keeps warning me to catch up on my sleep while I still can."
        He couldn't help but laugh. Working his way around to her side of the bed, he bent down so that his face was close to those blue eyes and managed to find her mouth with his own. "Save me a warm spot under the covers," he murmured before straightening and making for the doorway.
        "Attempt to be back by dawn then," came a sleepy reply. "This lazy Taelon has much to attend to tomorrow."
        That drew a louder laugh from him, but as he made his way down the ramp and in the direction of Nivian's quarters, he sobered. There was just no telling what sort of game Zo'or was playing this time.

        Nivian huddled closer to Boone in the clinic elevator. He had been unable to tell her what was going on other than to say that it must involve Lazarus. She had, however, managed to draw from him the story of Zo'or's visit earlier that evening and felt a deep sense of foreboding. Never had she feared Zo'or as she now did. How could they have drifted so far apart in so short a time? Their bond was a pitiful, wasted thing now - a dried up umbilicus which was ready to crumble.
        Looking at Boone, she saw how the elevator lights caught his hair and lit it a deep auburn red. The color triggered a memory of a dream she had been having...
         At night, when she slept, Zo'or was always there. Always watching her, waiting for her to say something, to do something, haunting her so that she began to dread sleeping.
        In her dreams he was a silent, blue spectre who refused to show himself completely, keeping instead to the periphery of her vision and following her about until she began shouting at him, "What do you want from me?"
        Tonight, for the first time, he had answered her desperate question - answered, but still without words. He had drifted closer and pointed directly at her before fading away from sight. In a state of surprised shock, she had begun looking for him then, ironically calling out to him and asking him to come back, but when the sun had risen in her dream, she had known that he was gone for good. Numbly, she had sunk down to the cold stone floor of her haunted abode and had just begun to cry when a small hand had tugged at her sleeve.
        Turning, she had beheld a small boy of no more than three staring at her out of large, phosphorescent blue eyes. He was strikingly pale, his skin having almost a blue undertone to it. His hair was a mass of brilliant red curls. He was strikingly beautiful and she felt herself staring, unable to even look away.
        He had giggled then. "You don't recognize me," he said in a surprisingly strong tone for so young a child. "Zo'or is not gone," he added. "He's just hiding."
        "Hiding? Why?"
        "He's afraid," he said as he blinked innocently at her. "He's afraid that you'll hurt him."
        "I would never hurt him," she had protested.
        "Yes you will," he had replied, solemnly. "He will end up changing and he doesn't want to. He will change so that he can keep you and it will end up destroying him."
        She had awakened then to find Boone gently shaking her.
        Now, standing in the elevator with him, she looked at his face beneath the fluorescent lights and thought she knew who the little boy in her dream was. If it had indeed been Braedan, then his appearance signaled that her dream might be far more than simply an ordinary nightmare. If the small being she carried had intervened in her dream, then chances were good that what he had told her about Zo'or was the truth - and his prediction of the Taelon's destruction was prophesy.
        She shivered violently as the elevator doors opened, causing Boone to automatically place a hand on her back and rub it.
        "Are you cold?" he asked, concerned.
        "Just tired and scared," she admitted.
        Then Dr. Belman was there hurrying them down the corridor to one of the larger exam rooms.
        She talked a mile a minute as they walked, explaining to them everything which had happened.
        "You're telling us that Zo'or saved Lazarus' life?" Boone asked, coming to a sudden stop before the door to the room Belman had led them to.
        "That's what I said - didn't I? Lazarus has been restored. His implants have all been replaced."
        Nivian knew that her mouth was hanging open stupidly. With an effort, she forced it to work. "And now Lazarus has both his original personality and the memories of his life as Boone's duplicate?" she asked.
        "Yes. For better or worse, he is a moderated version of his original self," Belman answered. "Now then, before we go in let me remind you that he's been through a lot. Don't expect too much of him right now and do not think that he's going to be the same person you knew yesterday. Most of all, make it quick and don't tire him out!"
        "We won't," they answered in unison as Belman threw the door open.
        Again Nivian found herself gaping. Three Taelons were in attendance within the room. It was obvious that they were monitoring Lazarus' vitals and watching carefully for any signs of a problem. She exchanged a look with an equally impressed Boone and then approached the table at the room's center.
        Lazarus looked pale, but otherwise appeared to be sleeping comfortably.
        Reaching out a hand, she stroked his hair back from his forehead and had the satisfaction of seeing him open his eyes and look right at her.
        And there was recognition in those mild blue eyes.
        She fought back the tears which threatened to overwhelm her, tears of joy this time, rather than of pain.
        His hand came up to cup her cheek and he smiled faintly as he spoke something in a foreign language - Russian perhaps?
        "ðÒÏ×ÅÒËÁ ÐÒÁ×ÉÌØÎÏÓÔÉ ÎÁÐÉÓÁÎÉÑ..." Seeing the questioning look on her face he sighed and tried again. This time he spoke English. "Don't cry for me Nivian. Never cry for me. My life now is so much better than it was... before. If I die now, I die happy."
        "I'm only overwhelmed that you're still alive. I'm happy Lazarus." She frowned. "What name will you use now?"
        "Lazarus," he sighed. "I AM Lazarus two times over now."
        She nodded. "I have to be completely honest with you," she said, forcing herself to do what she knew she had to do. "I don't think that we should..."
        "Shhhh," he interrupted her, placing an unsteady finger to her lips. "There's something you should know before you say anything else. Zo'or has made arrangements for me to take a job. Not just any job, but one which will allow me the freedom to come and go as I please. I can even visit the Embassy."
        "What?" She gasped even as she heard an indrawn breath behind her and turned to find Boone staring at her in disbelief. In that moment she knew that he had come to the same incredible conclusion which she had.
        Turning back to Lazarus, she saw him nod at her, willing her to believe that what he had told her was the truth.

        She and Boone returned to the Embassy to find Da'an awaiting them within the shuttle bay. They both noticed her through the front windshield at the same time and Boone leaned closer.
        "What will you do now?" he asked, rising and helping her from her seat.
        "The only thing I can do." Placing her hands on the small of her back, she flexed backward, straining to work the kinks out of her poor, abused lower back. "The one thing that I should do," she continued with a sigh.
        He smiled just before they stepped out. "I knew that you would," he whispered.
        Then Da'an was in front of her. "Is all well?" she asked.
        "Couldn't be better."
        The Companion nodded. "Zo'or has returned to the Embassy."
        "Well then, things can and are better," she smirked.
        Da'an looked too serious. "He insists that he is only here this night."
        "Well we'll just see about that." Without looking to see if they followed her inside, she set off in the direction of Zo'or's chambers.
        When she arrived, she didn't bother to ask permission to enter, she just walked right on in.
        He was standing near the windows and swiveled to face her almost instantly.
        Moving slowly across the room, she came to a stop directly before him and looked closely at his face. His expression was a human one - the look of someone who had lost something of great value. His eyes watched her warily and behind them she could see his real eyes glowing as he struggled to maintain the illusion of his human-like form.
        "You saved Lazarus' life," she stated.
        He sighed, a barely audible sound. "I couldn't let him die."
        "You gave him back his life and his dignity."
        "I wish you to be happy." The words were spoken like a death knell.
        Nivian's control snapped then, as she flung herself into his arms. "Lazarus was wrong," she choked, as she hugged him tightly. "You do know what love is, even if you don't understand it. That's OK though. I don't always understand it either."
        He pushed her back slightly so that he could look her in the eye. "I know only that I cannot bear to feel your grief. Go to him now and be happy. Only promise me that you will visit with me on occasion."
        "I can't do that," she protested, drawing a deeply wounded look from him. "...because I belong here with you. Please stay! Tell me that you'll spend at least a few nights a week here with me."
        He blinked slowly, as though doubting what he had heard. "You wish me to stay? You wish to remain with me?"
        Willing their bond to reopen, she hugged him tightly again and poured all her feelings into it. "I love you," she said fiercely. "I've never stopped."
        She felt his arms tighten about her then as he shuddered violently for a second. Tangling a hand in her hair, he pulled her head back and kissed her long and passionately on the lips.
        When they broke apart and she opened her eyes, she saw him in his true form, staring hungrily back at her. She had the sudden vivid recollection of the blue spectre who haunted her dreams and pushed it to the back of her mind. He was no ghost. He was the being she loved and she would never hurt him.
        "I love you Nivian," he breathed.
        "I know you do."

        Things settled down in the Embassy after that, with Zo'or spending nearly every night since their reunion in his Embassy chamber - with his consort.
        Lazarus had since made a complete recovery and was now living in Boone's old home back in his home town. The unfortunate man seemed to be making good progress in reconciling the person he had once been to the person he was now. Boone visited with him every day and was keeping them all informed of his status.
        The final week of Nivian's confinement went by more quickly than those which preceded it. She continued to see Dr. Belman everyday and swelled to incredible proportions.
        Yet, despite her size, she never felt anything less than beautiful. Both Zo'or and Da'an envied her large belly and would rub their delicate hands over it every chance they got. Even Boone, who was normally excruciatingly polite, surprised her one evening by planting a large kiss right over her shirt covered navel. Oh, how she had laughed at the blush which had colored his face when he realized what he had done!
        All in all, she felt physically well and more content than she had been in quite some time.
        Late one night near the end of February, she lay in Zo'or's bed - where she had slept every night since their reunion, and re-read one of her favorite books as the Synod Leader lay curled against her, his head balanced upon her belly and his arms wrapped protectively around it.
        "The infant seems to be distressed by something," he suddenly said.
        "I was beginning to think that you had fallen asleep there," she laughed.
        He raised his head and stared at her oddly. "You know I do not sleep."
        She sighed and lifted her book once more.
        "Nivian, I fear that all is not well," he persisted after a moment.
        She put the book down, knowing that she wouldn't have the chance to finish reading it now.
        "I'm in labor," she admitted, causing Zo'or to sit bolt upright. "Hey! It's OK. We have plenty of time!" she added as he lurched from the bed and moved to the datastream.
        As she suspected, he notified first Belman, then Da'an of what was happening.
        Knowing that she was about to be fussed over by two Taelons, an Implant and two doctors - one of whom was also a Taelon, she rose from the bed and took the time to brush her teeth and hair.
        One had to enjoy a calm moment while one could...

        Much to Zo'or's annoyance, Boone managed to wipe the sweat from Nivian's forehead with a cool, damp cloth, and then deciding not to push his luck, moved to join Da'an at her left side. Her grateful smile made the risk he had taken worth it.
        In the next second, though, her face scrunched up as her body tensed with another contraction.
        "Push!" Belman coached her. "Oh! We have a head!!! You're almost finished!!!"
        The doctor's obvious excitement carried over to all of them, with both Da'an and Zo'or losing complete control of their appearance.
        Zo'or held tightly to Nivian's hand with one of his own and continued to rub her belly with the other one as he sought to lessen her pain. The contraction tapered off and the consort took several deep breaths, mustering herself for a final effort even as Da'an slowly moved to the end of the table to stand beside Belman.
        Boone remained where he was, but was nearly overcome by the rush of emotion assailing him through his bond with Da'an. She was in a state of excitement unlike any he had ever before felt from her and he suddenly had the incredible truth of the situation strike home.
        He was about to become a father!
        Just then Nivian groaned and bore down as another contraction hit her.
        "Good! Good! Push harder!" Belman barked. "One more time - he's a big one!"
        Nivian grunted and a second later there was a loud squall in the room followed by indignant crying. Boone looked towards Nivian's raised knees just in time to see Da'an lift the newborn up before her, a look of wonder on her face.
        Braedan instantly stopped crying and seemed to be staring back at his mother, equally amazed.
        "Nivian - I don't know how I can ever thank you..." Boone choked out as he turned back to the woman on the table. In the next instant he had leaned forward and kissed her soundly.
        Tears were running down both their faces as she patted his cheek. "You just have," she said. "Seeing you and Da'an together with your child is all the reward I could ever want."
        Then Zo'or was occupying Nivian's attention, freeing Boone to move to Da'an's side and meet his son.
        Belman had already cut the cord and began coaching Nivian as they awaited the afterbirth. Meanwhile Ban'hn gently took Braedan from Da'an and moving to the table at the side of the room, placed the baby in a towel and began checking him thoroughly.
        "He appears to be perfectly healthy," the Taelon doctor said as a smile transformed his face. "Please allow me to clean him for you."
        Da'an nodded and both she and Boone watched with barely contained joy as a pale skinned, red-headed infant was soon revealed to them.
        Wrapping the infant in a blanket with the efficiency of one long used to handling babies, Ban'hn handed him directly to Boone, who froze, suddenly afraid that he would drop or injure his child.
        "All will be well, William. Come and sit in a chair," Da'an suggested.
        He did just that, moving across the floor as though he were walking on eggshells and then sinking into the oversized arm chair that was positioned in the corner. He looked down at his son only to find Braedan's eyes fixed intently upon his own face, studying him.
        "He has your eyes," he whispered to Da'an in wonder.
        "And your hair," she countered. "But redder."
        "Your skin tone - sorta," he joked.
        "And quite possibly your nose," she shot back.
        "Oh - ouch! Let's not scare the little guy. He's had quite a day already!"
        He held the little miracle which was his child for a short while longer before reluctantly offering him back to Da'an. It was the right thing to do, as she nearly snatched the child away and soon began crooning to him in Eunoia.
        Together they admired him, checked his fingers, toes and other body parts and by mutual consent, decreed him to be perfect. Then, as one, they looked across the room to where Nivian and Zo'or watched them with eager eyes.
        Da'an walked across the room and placed the baby in Nivian's arms.
        "I can never repay you for this gift," she breathed.
        Nivian reached up, and grasping Da'an by the back of the neck, pulled her down to plant a kiss on her forehead. "Love him and always cherish him," she whispered, misty eyed. "It is all I could ever ask in return."
        Boone placed his hands on Da'an's shoulders as she brushed away what looked suspiciously like a tear. In front of them Nivian cooed at the baby and congratulated him on being such a big boy. Then she turned and offered him to Zo'or, who had been watching with undisguised envy upon his face.
        The Synod Leader took the child gingerly, then sat back on his stool and sighed contentedly. Bringing up a hand, he brushed the baby's cheek and then smiled when Braedan turned his head and tried to find his fingers with his mouth.
        "You are truly a wonder," he whispered, then could not resist adding, "If your parents ever overwhelm you, you will always be welcomed by Nivian and myself."
        In response, the baby smiled and somehow managed to grasp one of the Synod Leader's fingers.
        It was then that Zo'or did the one thing it was both his right and pleasure to do as Synod Leader. He shared with the Baby and performed the mental twist which instantly joined the new life to that of his people.
        "Braedan Flynn Boone, welcome to the Commonality," he said aloud and with great pride as the others looked on.
 
 

Fin