The Uninvited - Part 2
An Earth - Final Conflict story by Tina Price
(TinaP@prodigy.net)

Preview: A sticky situation grows positively hairy, as Boone gathers evidence with which to expose the Taelon's genetic experimentation.

Disclaimer: Earth - Final Conflict, all characters and images therein are the property of the Tribune Entertainment Company. Several characters appearing in this story are my own creation. Any similarity with anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Authors note: This story takes place immediately after the episode entitled, "Destruction". It is the second in a three part series.. My other stories should be read first. This story is based upon my own idea of what is happening in the EFC universe. I am in no way receiving 'privileged information'. A friendly warning: I have taken steps to protect my stories. As always, advice, criticism and kudos are always welcomed. Please contact me at the above e-mail address.


The Uninvited
Part 2
Image is the Property of Tribune Entertainment
 
        Confident that Lili would take care of Melissa Locklear, Boone headed for Maryland and a meeting with the other survivor, Karen Tiener.
        As he drove, he turned his options over in his head. If he could obtain evidence which directly linked Zo'or to the genetic experimentation being carried out on human women, he felt he was obligated to see to it that it was used to help ensure that no others would come to harm.
        If he presented the evidence to Morovsky...it wouldn't go anywhere. As soon as the Taelons got wind of the investigation - and they would - they'd shut it down and confiscate everything. He could go to Da'an with his appeal, but after the reprimand he had received upon their exit from Morovsky's office, he doubted that he would fare any better now.  It seemed to him that there was only one choice - Turn it all over to Doors, and have him pass it on to his son, Joshua. If the information went straight to the President, there was a very good chance that the Taelons would be made to account for their actions. -  Lord knew, they were already being pressured to make full disclosure in other areas.
        Boone chewed his lower lip. There was no question that Da'an would be upset with him.
        This could even effectively destroy their relationship...but, he knew that if he did nothing, that he would never be able live with himself later on.
        He might be able to explain himself to his friend and salvage something... If Da'an rejected him, he would probably end up going underground with the rest of the Liberation...his presence could end up becoming too much of a liability to the North American Companion.
        His stomach knotting up at what his actions might cost him, Boone put the petal to the metal and hurried toward his destination.
 
 
        Lili arrived at Donna Dix Hospital within the hour of  receiving Boone's call. She would have gotten there far sooner, save for the fact that Da'an had summoned her to shuttle him to New York. The Companion was scheduled to speak before the United Nations, which was a good thing - it would keep him out of the way for a while.
        Walking through the front door, she approached the main desk.
        "May I help you?" the receptionist politely asked.
        "I need to see the nurse who's caring for Melissa Locklear," she answered.
        "One moment," the receptionist consulted her phone list as she spoke. "It'll take me a second to look up the information."
        The woman made a call and was transferred twice before she presumably contacted the correct person. Lili listened intently as the receptionist lowered her voice and carried on a hushed exchange with the person on the other line, but she couldn't make out a word that was said. Finally the receptionist hung up and faced her.
        "Ms. Locklear's nurse will be right down to see you. May I ask if you're a family member?"
        Lili showed her badge. "No. I'm with Companion security," she explained, as the woman's face changed to one of instant suspicion.
        Not one minute later, a middle-aged woman in the white uniform of a nurse, came hurrying down the main staircase and approached her cautiously. Lili immediately showed her badge and introduced herself.
        "I need to see Ms. Locklear," she said in an authoritative manner.
        The nurse looked frightened. "Would you follow me, please?" she asked before moving off toward the elevators. Once the doors had closed behind them, the nurse hit the button for the third floor and turned towards her. "Captain Marquette, I don't know what to tell you, except to say that Melissa Locklear passed on about an hour ago."
        "What?" Lili couldn't believe it. "What happened?"
        "I don't know! She was fine when I chatted with her around breakfast time..." The RN actually looked misty eyed. "I came back to take her for a shower and she was lying in her bed. I thought she was sleeping at first..."
        "Take me to her," Lili demanded as the elevator doors opened.
        Twenty minutes later, Lili made her way out of the building and wasted no time in opening a global link to Boone.
 
 
        "Boone!" Lili spoke almost as soon as he fumbled open his global.
        "What's wrong?"
        "How close are you to your destination?"
        "I'll be there within the hour."
        "Good. We've got big trouble." Lili glanced around herself before continuing. "Melissa Locklear is dead!"
        "What?! How?" Boone felt his heart sink.
        "Her nurse said she was perfectly well at breakfast and that she found her dead an hour later. She has no idea what happened, and neither do I. I checked her with the bio-scanner from the shuttle, but there was no telltale cause of death!"
        Boone swallowed. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
        "Well, if you're thinking that someone's trying to remove all evidence of companion involvement, then, yes."
        Boone thought fast. "OK. This is what I want you to do - Go back to the embassy, but be ready to meet me at the...." There was a pause as he consulted the locator on his global. "Meet me at the Red Ruby's Inn - it's about nine miles from the institute. With any luck, I'll have Karen Tiener with me."
        "I'll be ready. Boone...are you sure you don't want me out there now?"
        "No - Too big a risk that the shuttle might tip off whoever is behind this."
        "Be careful..."
        "Aren't I always?" Boone signed off as Lili gave him a put-out look.
 
 
        Forty minutes after talking with Lili, Boone slowly pulled his car into an outcropping of trees near the institute.  He quickly got his binoculars out and slowly circumnavigated the building, looking for any sign of other companion operatives. Satisfied that he had managed to arrive before his unknown rivals, he made his way back to the car, put his jacket on and pulled it into the main parking lot.
        He wasted no time in heading for the front entrance.
 
 
        Da'an had finished his speech in less than twenty minutes, making it 'short and sweet' and 'to the point', as William would have said. Originally, he had planned on spending more time in New York, but the unease he had felt all morning had begun to escalate an hour ago. It did not help matters that Zo'or and Sandoval had been conversing in hushed, conspiring tones before his speech.
        Before he had a chance to request an expedient return to Zo'or's office, his rival had rushed them all back there -  and vanished with Sandoval!
        He was now firmly convinced that Boone was in some dangerous circumstance. Even worse - Zo'or and Sandoval were most likely a part of it...
        With nobody readily available to summon him a shuttle, Da'an activated Zo'or's own data stream and contacted Lili. The shuttle pilot/Marine appeared nervous when she answered her global.
        "Da'an?"
        "I await you at Zo'or's office. Do not tarry - I fear some deadly subterfuge occurs."
        Seeing the grim look upon the Companion's face, Lili nodded. "On my way!"
        She cut the transmission.
 
 
        Fortunately for Boone, it was the beginning of visiting hours at the institute, and there appeared to be a good turnout of family members entering the lobby. Trying to appear as unobtrusive as possible, he milled with other visitors, as they waited to board the lobby elevators. As he stood there, he quickly scanned the directory on the wall and was able to determine which ward would most likely house his witness, based upon her sex and last known diagnosis.
        Riding the elevator up to the fourth floor, he turned right and followed the signs to ward 4c. There was a large, caged nurse's station which he had to pass in order to get to the open ward on the left, or the private rooms on the right. Fortunately, all the staff members were busy assisting other visitors, and Boone was able to slip past the station and make a quick right.
        He was not certain that Karen would be in a private room, but it seemed likely that the Taelons would not want her mixing with the others. Staying close to the wall, he quickly peered into the small, square, reinforced windows set in each door. After checking all twelve rooms and failing to spot her, he backtracked to the two rooms whose occupants were not readily visible.
        At the first such room, he removed his picks from his jacket pocket and quickly worked the lock. Stuffing note paper in the lock mechanism, he entered the room, and closing the door behind him, approached the woman cowering under the bed covers.
        "Karen?" he asked in the least threatening voice he could muster. "Karen Tiener?"
        The woman lowered the covers enough so that her right eye became visible. It was enough for him to identify her, with the aid of his CVI.
        "Karen, my name is William Boone. I'm here to make sure that nothing happens to you." Seeing that she appeared to be paying attention to him, he squatted down near the bed and continued. "I know that you recently had a very bad experience. Would you be willing to tell me what happened to you?"
        There was no response.
        "Karen, I'm trying to keep what happened to you from happening to anyone else. Please...work with me on this."
        Karen lowered the covers and stared at him as she moved into a sitting position. Huddling against the headboard, with her arms wrapped around her raised knees, she looked like a lost child.
        "I know who you are," she said in a slow, jittery voice. "You work for THEM..."
        "You're only partially right," he smiled reassuringly. "I work for Da'an, not for the other Taelons. Let me tell you a secret about Da'an..."
        She leaned forward a bit.
        "He's not like the other Taelons - he cares what happens to humans."
        She sat up straighter. "Did he send you then? Are you here to get me out of this hell hole?"
        "Yes," he answered sincerely. "Now tell me what happened to you. Can you remember anything?"
        "I remember too much." Throwing off her covers, she sat at the edge of the bed. It turned out that she was fully dressed. "I'm not telling you anything until you get me the hell out of here! I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid - If I tell you everything now, you might just leave without me."
        Boone hesitated as he turned over several ideas in his mind. The woman was right - he needed to get her out as soon as possible.
        "You're right," he said with a decisive nod. "The questions can wait...but first, I need to find a way to get you out without being noticed. Stay put - I'll be right back." He rose to his feet and she rose as well, quickly reaching out to grasp his arm. It turned out to be his skrill, which she came in contact with.
        Feeling the odd creature on his arm, she gave a startled yelp, and let go.
        "Don't you worry, Karen," he reassured her, as he realized her fears. "Condor doesn't bite - and I WILL come back for you!" Turning, he quickly made his way out the door and down toward the utility room he had spied nearer to the nurse's station.
        Carefully pushing the door open and making sure that nobody was there, he slipped inside and began hunting up a pair of scrubs which would fit Karen. Finally locating some, he was stuffing them under his jacket when he felt the tell tale sibilant whispering of his skrill's mind within his own. Raising his right arm before him, he could see the creature glowing brightly, even through the jacket.
        He was confused and uncertain of why it was reacting in such a manner. Closing his eyes, he concentrated, but it wasn't until he moved his arm, that the skrill was able to communicate more clearly.
        It hissed audibly!
        Opening his eyes, Boone moved his arm a bit more.
        The skrill hissed louder.
        The closer he came to pointing directly toward the wall which was shared with the nursing station, the more upset his skrill became! With a sinking sensation in the pit of his stomach, he surmised that they had an unwelcome visitor next door.
        As soon as the thought crossed his mind, Condor went dark and silent.
        Testing his theory, Boone imagined Da'an.
        Condor glowed dimly.
        "OK, so you don't like him..." Boone grumbled. Then, he imagined Zo'or.
        Condor lit up like a torch and hissed long and threateningly.
        "Message received," Boone said, drily, as he silently exited the utility room and peered carefully, and quickly into the nursing station next door.
        Sandoval was appropriating some medical records from the staff...WHAT was HE doing back from Ireland so soon? Sure enough, Zo'or stood right behind him, with several guards flanking him!
        Moving as quickly as he dared, Boone headed back towards Karen's room.
        "Get these on! Now!" he urged as he flung the scrubs at her. Digging her sneakers out of the bottom of the closet, he all but put them on her feet himself, as she shrugged the scrub top on.
        "Come on!" Boone grasped her hand and pulled her to the doorway, where he took a quick peak outside. Seeing that the coast was clear, he pointed to the utility room. "We're going in there. Just follow my lead - and move quietly!" Fifteen seconds later, they were inside.
        "Now what?" Karen whispered.
        "There's a Companion here with an FBI Agent. I don't think I need to tell you that he's here for no good reason. Looks like he's about to arrange to have you transferred somewhere else." Seeing the panicked look on her face, he squeezed her hand. "Don't worry - I'll get you out of here. As soon as he's passed this room, we are going to calmly walk out. Don't look towards the nurse's station, and don't hurry. Just pretend you have every right to be in the hallway. We'll take the stairs on the other side of the elevators. Do you think that you can do that?"
        She nodded.
        "Good..." Just then, his skrill began to whisper in his mind again. "...because, here we go!"
        Opening the door a crack, he peeped out and saw the Taelon group heading towards Karen's room. He quickly led the way out and to the left, acting as casually as he could.
        Karen followed his lead..
        The trick was to get downstairs before Sandoval came flying around the corner.
        They made it into the stairwell without being spotted, and Boone wasted no time in ushering her up the stairs.
        "Where are we going?!" she asked fearfully. "We have to get out!"
        He all but pushed her up the stairs. "We'll get caught! The lobby and surrounding areas will be the first place Agent Sandoval checks. We need to lay low by hiding in plain sight. - Then we'll slip out."
        Just then an employee had the misfortune to happen upon them.
        Boone quickly dropped her with a skrill shot, wringing a squeal out of his charge. "It's OK," he assured her. "She'll be out for quite a while, but otherwise she's unhurt. Removing the woman's security badge, he placed it on Karen's scrub pocket, and throwing the woman over his shoulder, carried her up to the roof, where he hid her out of sight on the other side of the stairwell.
        "Where's the cafeteria?" he asked his pale charge.
 
 
        Having returned Da'an to his embassy shuttle bay, Lili made to take her leave, by raising a hand to her chest and the other out, palm upward.
        The Companion did not reciprocate, but instead fixed her with a speculative look.
        "Is there some pressing business which calls you away so soon?" he asked, as he inclined his head.
        "Uhhh...No. Just some things which I wanted to take care of..."
        "In that case, I wish you to remain." Da'an gestured for her to accompany him towards his office. "I...have a feeling that your services may be required..."
        Lili fell into step beside him, as her heart sank. Her services WERE required - by Boone. If he called, Da'an would be sure to intercept the message and question his implant. It could ruin everything!
 
 
        Boone and Karen sat in the crowded forth floor hospital cafeteria, watching the action outside the large windows which overlooked the parking lot.  Boone was digging into a large tray of food, as he calmly watched several of the hospital staff aid Sandoval in a walk around the grounds. The Taelon shuttle was sitting dead center of the parking lot, its pilot calmly waiting within.
        Karen picked at the food in front of her, too nervous to possibly eat anything. "How are we ever going to get out of here?" she whined.
        "Don't worry," he smiled. "Zo'or isn't going to hang around here long. He'll have Sandoval turn this over to the local authorities and take him back to New York. As soon as they're gone, we can leave." Even as he said it, three police cruisers were seen pulling into the parking area.
 
 
        Lili paced restlessly about Da'an's audience chamber before settling herself on the ledge before the large, virtual glass windows. She glanced over at the Taelon and saw that he was still watching her. The shuttle pilot lowered her own gaze to the floor.
        How could he tolerate sitting so still in that chair of his, she wondered? It was particularly distressing to her, trapped here as she was, to have the only sign of life be the Companion's eyes, as they followed her movements around the room. Even now, she could feel him watching her! What was running through his mind?
        "Captain."
        Lili looked up to see that Da'an had risen from his chair. Just then her global beeped.
        "Please answer it," the Companion demanded, as she hesitated.
        Boone's image appeared on the screen. "Lili..." he began.
        At the sound of his voice, Da'an waved an arm, opening a data stream and transferring the communication from Lili's global.
        "Boone," he greeted, as he seated himself. "What is it that you require?"
        Quickly hiding his startlement, the implant carefully responded. "I've gathered some incriminating evidence, but I'm trapped in a Maryland mental hospital. Zo'or just lit out of here with Sandoval, but the police are everywhere. I need a ride."
        "Were you seen Commander?"
        "No. I managed to stay out of Zo'or's way. Could you have Lili meet me on the roof?"
        Da'an gestured for Lili to leave. "Captain Marquette is on her way," he informed his human friend. "...is everything all right, William? I sense that you are anxious about something..."
        "I'm fine, Da'an, but I admit that I'll feel better when I get out of here. I'm pretty sure that Zo'or had one of the other two women killed this morning."
        "And what of the remaining...witness?"
        "I've taken care of it." Without further adieu, Boone quickly severed the transmission. As he put the global away, he met Karen's eyes. "I need to go down to my car and get my briefcase. Do you think you can wait here for me?"
        "How long?!" She looked frightened.
        "I'll only be gone about five minutes. If things get too calm in this room, head for the roof and I'll meet you there." At her hesitant nod, he rose and moved out of the room.
 
 
 

        Ten minutes later Boone and Karen greeted Lili as she landed the shuttle on the hospital roof. As soon as it had set down, Boone ushered the escapee inside.
        "You know those police will be reporting the shuttle's presence to Sandoval," Lili pointed out.
        "Not necessarily," Boone answered, as he helped Karen into her restraints. "As far as they're concerned, Zo'or might have sent you in to pick something up. I'm betting that they never mention it." He took the seat next to Karen's.
        "Where to?" Lili asked, over her shoulder.
        "Da'an's place."
        "Are you crazy? What are you going to do, tell him everything?"
        "Trust me."
        As soon as Lili announced their re-entry into normal space/time, Boone helped Karen out of her chair and hid her in the floor access compartment. "Don't worry,"  he told her, as he helped ease her into the space. "It's noisy down there, but safe. You stay put and keep quiet until Lili or I open the hatch up."
        "OK...but try to hurry," she asked before he could close the hatch.
        "I will - promise."
        By the time they had landed in the shuttle bay, there was no evidence of a third passenger. Boone hopped out and nodded to Lili. "Wait for me," he said, and immediately felt stupid for having stated the obvious.
        "Don't worry - I'm not going anywhere."
        Within one minute, he had quickly covered the distance to Da'an's office and presented himself before the Companion. Without a word, he held his briefcase out before him.
        "You have been successful in gathering evidence which may be used against Zo'or?" his friend asked, as he accepted the item.
        Boone nodded. "The question is, 'Will it be enough?'"
        Da'an gave him a hooded look. "I will strive to make the most of it." Boone fidgeted slightly, drawing the Companion's immediate attention. Da'an placed the briefcase down next to his chair and fixed him with an owlish look. "Boone..." he asked carefully. "...you do believe that I wish the experimentation to end?"
        Boone was both confused and suddenly on his guard. "Of course," he replied.
        "Yet you do not believe that I will be successful in persuading the Synod to abandon this course...even with the evidence that we wrested away from the police - evidence which could have eventually exposed our experimentation to the public?"
        Boone knew his face was grim. "I've come to believe that the Synod is no better than any human governing body," he answered candidly. "They've been convinced that these experiments are the fastest, least costly means to the ends they seek. They will not back down until their shame is exposed to the public." He watched as Da'an blushed brightly - a sure sign that what he had said, had confirmed the Companion's own fears.
        Da'an slowly came to his feet and stepped down from his platform. Standing directly in front of Boone, he met his eyes. "I ask you to remember that you are my...friend, as well as my implant," he said softly. "I ask you not to do...what you feel you must...for both our sakes. Give me the opportunity to stop this first"
        Boone felt his heart skip a beat. Da'an was saying that he knew Boone was about to expose the Taelon scheme...He was asking him not to go through with it, and implying that it would ruin them both. Seeing that his friend was regarding him patiently, Boone cleared his throat and found his voice.
        "I've never felt more strongly about anything," he said softly.
        "Everything WE hope to accomplish...may be lost, should you go through with this..." Da'an touched Boone's arm and frowned. "I sense, however, that your mind is already decided." The Companion turned and walked to the windows, presenting his back to his favored implant.
        Boone's sense of dread escalated. He couldn't afford to wait - Da'an's attempt would surely be another waste of time...No, he was determined to see this through.
        "I do not wish to lose the trust we have worked towards," he finally said, as he approached his friend. "...but you know that this is a course which must now be taken...We cannot allow this to continue any longer! No matter what happens to me, I have to go through with this - my conscience will not allow me to do otherwise."
        Seeing that Da'an was still not about to look at him, he gripped his shoulders and gently spun him around.
        The look of regret on the Taelon's face nearly stopped his heart.
        "Have you ever heard the human expression, 'To thine own self be true?'" he asked, shakily, once he had regained his voice.
        Da'an tilted his head and seemed to be turning the phrase over in his mind. "I am not familiar with it," the Taelon admitted, sadly.
        "I suggest that you research it." Without asking permission, waiting for a response, or looking back, Boone headed out of the room.
        He had to go through with this while he still could!
 

 
        Jonathan Doors stared through the glass window into the examine room which was part of the small medical facility he had built into the resistance headquarters beneath St. Michael's church. Julianna was finishing up her scans of Karen Tiener and nodded in his direction to let him know that that she had something.
        There was a quick knock on the door and Boone made an appearance with Capt. Marquette hot on his heels.
        "What have we got?" the large Security chief asked.
        "We're about to find out..."
        In the exam room, Belman had moved to the door and opened it to two assistants, who helped Karen off the table and led her out. In a moment she popped her head into the observation room.
        "Let's step into my office," she advised.
        As soon as Lili closed the office door behind them, the Doctor spoke.
        "Physically there are only two signs that Ms. Tiener was recently pregnant. She has a graffian follicle visible in her left ovary...and her quantitative human chorionic gonadotropic hormone level indicates either that she was very recently pregnant or that she is in the early stages of a pregnancy. Other than that, there is no sign that she ever carried a fetus - her uterus seems to be in a normal, non-gravid state."
        "How can we use this?" Doors asked.
        "We can't!" Belman threw a chart down on her desk in disgust. The little evidence that we have of a pregnancy is not sufficient to prove our claims of the experimentation she underwent. We cannot prove that the fetus was removed by the Taelons...we can't even prove that our tests are valid because we are not a certified medical facility!"
        The four of them looked at each other uneasily.
        "Let's move to my office and work this through," Doors suggested.
        As they walked through the main area, Boone managed to catch the attention of Augur, who had only just arrived. With a few gestures, he was able to get the techno-wizard to follow them into Doors' private office.
        They all sat around the large desk as he began to speak.
        "What we need, in order to stop this barbaric experimentation, is to fully expose the Taelon's. We don't have enough evidence to do that... and we probably never will - unless it is evidence of the sort that can not be refuted..."
        "OK, I'll bite," Augur chirped. "What exactly, are you saying?"
        "If we can get an audio-visual recording of them discussing their...'project', they will have hung themselves...so to speak." Doors leaned back in his seat and watched as the others caught on.
        "Let me get this straight," Lili questioned. "Da'an's about to confront Zo'or in front of Quo'on, in an effort to convince the Synod leader that the project must be stopped. You want to get that meeting on tape?"  As Doors nodded that she had it right, Lili stood up and slapped the desktop with her hand. "I'm all for it! It'll wake the government up and open the public's eyes - let's do it!"
        Boone reached over and tugged her back down into her chair. "Wait a minute here," he cautioned. "What you're planning is going to be difficult in the extreme. Even if you succeed, how are you going to keep suspicion away from me and Lili?"
        "Oh, we'll find a way..." Doors leaned forward. "All we need, is for you to furnish us with the location."
        Boone should his head negatively and was about to speak when Augur interrupted him.
        "I think I have a possible location," he grinned, looking a bit like the Cheshire cat. "I've been researching the phony medical transport company, Health-Go-Round, at Boone's request..."
        "Phony?" Lili asked.
        "You bet! I did some digging and learned that the company doesn't really exist. There are only two vans. Both were painted at a shop on the outskirts of town. A local delivery company named 'Anystop' paid the bill." He leaned back and smirked, until he saw that he had lost his audience. With a sneer, he sat up again and filled them in.
        "Anystop is another phony company. It's run by the FBI!"
        Boone stared at Augur, with his jaw gaped open. "Sandoval..." he breathed.
        "I took the liberty of calling Health-Go-Round, to order a shuttle for some Dix patients," Augur continued. "They turned me down of course...but not before I was able to locate them."
        "Well?" Doors prompted when Augur gloated a few seconds too long.
        "They're in an old, abandoned supply building near Alexandria," he spat. "It could very well house a Taelon 'facility'."
        "Sometimes you win..." Belman mumbled, as she smiled at Boone.
        Boone rose to his feet and paced. "I don't know about this," he confessed. "Before we left the embassy, Da'an implied that he knew I wanted to expose this. He all but begged me to give him a chance to shut Zo'or's experiment down. He seemed quite certain that he could do it..."
        "Will!" Lili stood and moved in front of him. "Are you crazy? You know I like Da'an too, but this is an opportunity we can't pass up!"
        "Lili, he seemed to be implying that such an exposure would ruin EVERYTHING - that it could make matters much worse!" Boone looked at the others. "I think we should give him his chance."
        All heads swiveled to look at Doors. The billionaire leaned back in his chair and seemed to be seriously considering Boone's request. After a minute, he stood up as well.
        "Very well. We'll wait forty eight hours. If the project is not completely shut down, we'll find some way to trap them in their own lie." Glaring at Boone, he continued gruffly. "I hope you realize that this might have proved to be our only good chance..."
        Boone nodded grimly. "Come on Lili," he said, as he turned to leave. "I need to get back to my office."
        He failed to see Doors catch Lili's arm, or the significant look which passed between them.
 

 

 
 
        It was past midnight when Boone finished his neglected duties at the office and the paperwork which had been left for him. Normally, he would have cleaned up the mess in far less time, but his mind had been pre-occupied, straying back over and over to the Companion he had displeased earlier in the day. Why hadn't Da'an contacted him yet? Had he even met with Quo'on?
        Filing away the last of his papers, he gave up and pulled his global out.
        "What is it Commander?" the North American Companion asked in a wearily, yet impersonal way. He appeared to be seated in his chamber and was in his own, natural state.
        "Uh...You still have my briefcase..." Boone nearly kicked himself as soon as the ridiculous statement left his mouth. He just wasn't very good at beating about the bush...
        Da'an appeared confused. "It will be returned to you," he promised. His human face quickly reformed and he fixed his implant with a suspicious look. "Was there something else?"
        "Did things go well with Quo'on?" He finally got up the nerve to ask.
        "I have made my point. If you would be willing to meet with us tomorrow, we may be able to win the Synod's support."
        "You know I'll do whatever I can to help. When shall I arrive?"
        "Be here shortly after dawn." Da'an gestured delicately with his left hand. " I have a full schedule tomorrow and it would be best to deal with this expediently..."
        "I'll be there..." Before Boone could cut the link, his Companion spoke again.
        "Boone...I thank you for allowing me the chance to resolve this matter."
        The tall security chief smiled, amazed at how much Da'an was able to deduce where he was concerned. "You deserve that chance," he answered. "Good night."
        Da'an nodded as the link was cut.
 
 

        On the roof of a tall building across the way, two shadows crouched. A glint of reflected light revealed one of them to be looking through high powered binoculars.
        "Hasn't he left yet?" the second shadow asked. "Let's just get the recording back to HQ..."
        "We were ordered to wait until he headed home," the one with the binoculars replied. "Wait...He's leaving!"
        The second man was able to see the office lights go out. "OK, Let's get this show on the road!" Gathering up the surveillance equipment, he kissed the recording device. "Marquette couldn't have hidden the mic in a better location if she tried!"
        "Hey...remember not to mention her name! If Mr. B ever found out..."
        The two of them nodded and quit the roof.
 

 
 
        Boone and Da'an stood out in the garden on a beautiful spring evening, and made ready to watch what promised to be an incredible sunset.
        "Did you close the gate?" his Taelon friend asked.
        A sudden panic settled over Boone as he realized that he had not completed the task. His horrified expression brought an answering look of fear to his friend's face.
        Around them, a horrible noise swelled. Boone didn't even want to look, but his eyes slowly left Da'an and instead took in the carnage which now surrounded them. Everywhere, the garden was filled with humans and Taelons locked in mortal combat. Bullets, skrill blasts...even knives, flew through the air only inches from where he and his companion stood. Taelons could be seen thrusting their arms right through humans, somehow disrupting their bodies and killing them.
        In a desperate attempt to protect Da'an, Boone threw his arms about him and sank to his knees. There was nowhere to run - the best he could do was hope to avoid the worse of the battle. Squeezing their eyes closed, they huddled together, doing their best not to draw attention to themselves.
        Suddenly, Da'an let out a gasp. Opening his eyes, Boone met the wide open, startled gaze of his companion just before Da'an dissolved and floated away on the wind which had whipped up.
        Jonathan Doors stood there, his arm still raised, and his skrill still glowing.
        "See? I knew you could do it," he smirked. The smirk vanished as he took notice of something behind the implant, but even as he made to raise his skrill arm, he was struck in the heart with a bullet.
        Doors slowly collapsed to the ground with a look of complete disbelief upon his face.
        Boone tried to move, but he found himself frozen in place, horrified to the core by what he was witnessing....It was the death of everything!
        A sudden, icy cold pain radiated between his shoulder blades and seemed to spread outward. His heart began flopping sickly as a glowing, blue fluorescent hand emerged from his chest and then was withdrawn.
        Boone collapsed onto his back, unable to move or even breath...
        Looking upward, he saw Zo'or gloating over him. "I knew you would slip up eventually," he hissed. "Prepare to embrace the void!"
        Leaning down, he reached for Boone's head with both hands - which blazed with Shakarava!
        Boone finally found his voice.
        "Noooooo!!!!!"

        Sitting up in bed, Boone flipped on the lamp. It was a long time before he was able to catch his breath and shake off the worse of the dream. A glance at the clock showed the time as three twenty. He had only been asleep forty minutes!
        With a groan, he flopped back down and stared at the ceiling as he tried to interpret the nightmare...
 

        Back in the Taelon Embassy, Da'an sat, cross-legged upon the carpet in his chamber. Each arm rested lightly on its corresponding knee. He looked as if he were meditating.
        His eyes slowly opened and he sighed.
        Boone still was not sleeping...
 

 
        "So, what's so important that you had to roust me out of bed while it ws still dark?" Lily asked, as she looked back over her shoulder. She and Boone were in transit to DC.
        Boone steepled his fingers and looked over the top of them at her.
        "Our Taelon friends are about confront Zo'or, aren't they?" she asked excitedly.
        The security chief lowered his hands. "Quo'on wants to question me," he answered warily.
        "What's the matter?"
        "What do you mean?"
        Lili huffed. "You haven't said more than six sentences since I picked you up...Now, what gives?"
        "Call it intuition, or foreboding, or just a hunch - but I feel as though something BAD is about to come down on us all..." Boone ran his fingers through his hair.  At the look on his pilot's face, he sank back in his seat. "Fine," he grumbled. "Let's go back to not talking..."
        "Oh hoo! A little touchy this morning, are we?" Lili laughed. "I don't suppose you slept any?"
        Boone shot her a dirty look.and busied himself with his global, effectively ending the conversation.

        "Uh oh!" Lili's unexpected exclamation gained Boone's instant attention. They had only just glided into the Embassy shuttle bay and hadn't yet touched down.
        "I see him," the red-headed passenger confirmed.
        Waiting for them in the shuttle bay, was Da'an himself!
        Once Lili had set down and begun to power off, Boone wasted no time in exiting the craft and approaching his companion.
        "This is an unexpected greeting," he said. "Is everything all right?"
        The Companion nodded slightly - he was becoming comfortable with human mannerisms and it seemed that he didn't even realize he was imitating some of them. "Everything is going as planned," he responded. "I am to shuttle you to Quo'on for a private meeting."
        Boone gaped. "Quo'on wants to meet with me? On the mother ship?"
        "Indeed. He does you a great honor." Noting that Lili had approached them, Da'an turned to address her. "We have no need of your abilities...at this time. Please feel free to attend to your other duties and rest assured that I will contact you later on."
        Looking somewhat put-out, Lili slowly returned to her shuttle and watched as Da'an signaled for Boone to follow him.
        The graceful Taelon led his implant to a shuttle at the rear of the bay and followed him aboard.
        Boone immediately seated himself in a seat directly next to the pilot's chair and gaped as he shrugged into his restraints. The shuttle had no human interface - it retained the original Taelon configuration, which was to say that, aside from a definite pilot's seat, there were no controls to be seen anywhere.
        Da'an took the seat beside him and gestured before him. The engines instantly came on line.
        "Are you ready, Commander?" he asked. At Boone's answering nod, he made a few quick gestures and the craft was instantly shooting out of the shuttle bay. The entered interdimension almost instantaneously.
        "The shuttle picks up your gestures?" Boone found himself asking.
        "Yes," was the Companion's short reply.
        "And somehow you always know where you are in space?"
        "And interdimension...It is one of our abilities - a sense, so to speak." Da'an turned slightly in his chair and looked at his friend.
        "You always know where you are?" Boone was confused. "Relative to your world? The Stars? What exactly is your reference point?"
        The Companion smiled slightly, amused by Boone's confusion. "My reference point is where the majority of my fellow Taelons are," he explained. "In this area of the universe, that would be the mother ship, as you call it. I feel the commonality, and it is the commonality - the joining of knowledge - which allows me to find my way." Before Boone could speak, he held up a hand. "We are here," he announced as he gestured, bringing the ship out into normal space/time.
        Boone looked almost awestruck, something the Companion was not willing to allow.
        "I would give up this ability for all time, if I could only experience the olfactory sense." He looked Boone in the eye. "To be able to smell the garden I so love...and your orchids...and the rest of your world...would mean so much more to me than this..." He gestured around them at the shuttle.
        Boone nodded. "I hadn't thought of that," he whispered. "Each of us envies what the other can do, but we really need to stop and remember to be grateful for what we ourselves have."
        Da'an's face looked troubled. "Pray that your people never evolve so far as mine," he said, in a sad tone. "For we have lost most all those senses which bring joy in life."
        The auburn-haired security chief mulled that over while Da'an landed the shuttle within one of the mother ship's large bays
 

.
 
        Lili boarded her shuttle back at Boone's office and began the trip back to DC. She had just received a call from Lassiter, informing her that Boone was back and ready to be on his way.
        He had been gone for a little over two hours.
        After putting the shuttle in interdimension, she leaned back and ran through the 'to-do' list in her head.
        Augur, Doors and several of the others, had set things up at the FBI- owned building which was disguised as the 'Anystop' corporation. They had been able to scope out enough to know that the Taelons were up to something there - something which involved medical equipment.
        They had procured a beat up van, which they had then painted to resemble a local news station's own vans.
        All they needed to know now, was when Da'an would confront Zo'or. There was always the possibility that he wouldn't, but judging by his past dealings with the nasty, younger Taelon, Lili would bet money that he wouldn't miss the chance to deliver the 'bad' news in person.
        She needed to get Boone to cough up information about that meeting, and that wouldn't be easy - Boone seemed to be on his guard, almost as though he were expecting an incident...
        Lili's thoughts turned toward her actions - her role - in what was about to happen. If what they were doing was so right...then why did she feel so guilty? This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to expose the Taelons to the public as selfish schemers. They had to take it, even if it alienated Boone further.
        Lili bit her lip. Will had been so right about so many things lately...And he had said that Da'an was implying a terrible outcome if this all got out...
        Then, there was the very real possibility that her friendship with Will would end. In fact, she was certain that it would when he found out her part in this - and he would.
        Not only would she lose Will, but Da'an as well.
        That in itself would be a blow to the movement. It could even trigger Boone's termination, if he turned his back on the Liberation for good.
        Was she willing to risk so much on the off chance that they might gain a little ground?
        She began to suspect that she had made a terrible mistake...
        By the time she came out of interdimension, Lili's hands were shaking hard enough to make a smooth landing impossible.
 
 
        Boone stood before the windows of Da'an's audience chamber and mulled over everything which he had just experienced, as his Companion stood beside him, in apparent understanding of his mood.
        Da'an had led him through the seemingly endless, identical corridors of the mother ship, finally ushering him through an entranceway which was somewhat more ornate than the others they had passed. Boone had been able to translate the writing above the door into a phrase - "He who Counsels the Chosen", before they passed through into the room beyond.
        Within the room, Quo'on had been found moving restlessly before a huge portal, through which both the moon and the earth could be seen.
        Da'an had not immediately disturbed the Synod leader, which had given his implant time to take in the human guise Quo'on now wore.
        The Synod leader was tall and slender, but wide shouldered and brooding. His overall appearance and movements had given Boone the strong impression of a male, although he knew the Taelons had no such gender. There was something else about the Synod leader - something which Boone had not been able to see until this personal meeting.
        His manner had reminded him of a man caught between a rock and a hard place.
        Da'an had taken the opportunity to step forward and greet his superior with the usual Taelon hand gestures.
        As Quo'on had turned to face them, Boone did the same.
        "Ah...William Boone," Quo'on had said, as he moved closer. "I am pleased by the this opportunity to speak with you in person." He gestured at Da'an, who slowly withdrew from the room.
        "As am I," Boone had responded firmly, although, inside he had been unnerved by the special attention he was receiving. "How may I be of assistance?" he had asked.
        Quo'on had gestured toward his chair. "Behind my place, is the entrance to the room where the Synod gathers, unable to decide their course of action. Never before have we failed to reach a joint decision."
        "I thought that you were the deciding voice in all things pertaining to the Synod," Boone had stated in confusion.
        "Ordinarily I am, however, in this case there is sure to be disagreement, regardless of my stance. I am currently aligned with Da'an on this issue. It is far too dangerous to continue our...experimentation at this time." Quo'on had placed a hand on Boone's shoulder. "You have an eloquence which has moved my people in the past. Indeed, most Synod members were impressed and moved by your efforts in defending Rho'ha. I have had you brought here in the hopes that you would explain to them the seriousness of this matter."
        Boone's stomach had churned as he realized the responsibility which was being laid at his feet.
        "I will, of course, do my best to make them understand," he had replied, after clearing his throat.
        Quo'on led the way. "Remember," he had said over his shoulder. "You are the only non-Taelon ever to enter this place. Be respectful, but do not allow them to intimidate you."
        The tall red-head had gulped. "Thanks for the advice," he had mumbled.
 
        Boone was brought back to the present by the feel of Da'an's hand on his arm.
        He remembered how his Companion had re-entered Quo'on's office immediately after his plea to the Synod.
        He had never been so happy to see anyone before in his life.
        "You have done well," the present-time Da'an told him, echoing his words back in Quo'on's office. "I believe that your appeal has swayed them. We need only await their decision."
        Boone looked directly at his friend and smiled. "I was so nervous...If you only knew how close I was to becoming ill in that room," he admitted. "I wish you had given me some idea of what I was about to have to do."
        "What purpose would it have served, but to increase your discomfort?" Da'an dropped his hand. "While you have been reflecting upon your...experience, I took the opportunity to have Lili summoned. We shall visit Zo'or, that we may be present when the decision is announced."
        "Da'an...I don't think that's a good idea..." Boone began, but as he turned, he caught sight of Lili, who had just arrived and caught the last few sentences.
        "Why would you believe such a thing?" Da'an asked, just before he also became aware of Lili.
        Boone and Lili stared at each other, each wearing wary, distrustful expressions. The silence was deafening.
        Aware that something was seriously wrong, Da'an positioned himself so that he could see them both at the same time. "Is there a problem?" he asked.
        "No, no problem," Boone responded. He could tell by Lili's face that she was feeling guilty about something and he resolved not to give her the chance to use her global or any other means to contact HQ. He hoped that he was wrong about her, but he felt certain that she was about to betray him.
        "Come on, let's get this over with," he sighed. One way or the other, he was about to discover where Lili's true loyalties lay. After everything they had been through lately, he couldn't believe she would side with Doors...and yet, the look on her face... stony, but with a hint of pallor, spoke of an attack of conscience.
        Beside him, Da'an was looking from him to Lili and back. It was apparent to Boone that the Taelon  knew he was missing something, but seemed unable to clue in on what it was.
        "Very well," Da'an finally responded, hesitantly. "Let us be on our way."
 
 
        The coordinates which Da'an relayed to Lili did indeed spit them out at the very warehouse which Augur had surmised was being used by both the FBI and the Taelons.
        Boone hopped out of the shuttle the moment it touched down and took in the surroundings, amazed by the lack of visible security. Perhaps Zo'or had set it up this way so as not to draw attention to the place...but, once again he was getting that bad feeling that all was not what it seemed...
        Da'an approached his side and made a tentative movement to grasp his arm.
        Boone gently moved out of reach. He knew that the Taelon was trying to ascertain what was troubling him, but he felt it best that his suspicions not be shared. He still hoped that they were just that - suspicions, and that they had no basis in fact.
        Unwilling to face Da'an's annoyed expression, he turned and watched as Lili finished powering down and joined them. Seeing that she was being closely monitored, she gave him her best 'excuse-me?' look.
        "Something the matter, Commander?" she hissed.
        "Ask me again later," he threw back, before falling into step behind Da'an, who was leading the way into the building.
        The North American Companion walked to a side door, which had a security camera covering it. Ten seconds later, the door unlocked with a buzz and they entered.
        The inner room was small, with a countertop to the left, enclosed in what appeared to be bullet proof glass. It looked exactly like a re-used bank counter. Behind it stood two armed guards and several television monitors, one of which showed the front entrance.
        One of the guards nodded at Da'an and pushed a button. With another buzz, the door ahead of them unlocked, allowing them to move through into the corridor beyond.
        Da'an made his way directly for a door at the far right of the hallway and without bothering to knock, entered. It turned out to be  a small office and Boone wasn't all that surprised to see both Zo'or and Sandoval standing before the windows. There was no doubt that they had been waiting for their visitors, as the shuttle was clearly visible in the lot outside.
        "Ah, Da'an," Zo'or greeted them with a smile which made Boone's hair stand on end. "Have you come to personally inspect our project?"
        At Zo'or's use of the word, 'our', Boone shot a glance at Da'an and was startled to see the Companion had glanced at him as well.
        His face held an odd expression.
        Was it...fear?
        "It has been brought to my attention that a human died while in your care," Da'an said, turning back to face Zo'or and moving closer to his rival. "Would you care to explain how this came to be?"
        Zo'or pouted. "The female suffered an unforeseen complication. We tried everything we could to save her, but we were unfamiliar with the coagulation disorder which claimed her life."
        "And what of the two other females who were 'processed' with her?" Da'an pressed. "One has died under mysterious circumstances...and the other has vanished."
        "It is no concern of mine what happens to them after they leave my care," Zo'or sneered.
        Just then, the computer on the desk announced an incoming transmission. They all turned to look, as Quo'on appeared on the display.
        "The Synod has decreed that the this project be terminated for the moment," he announced. "The consequences of the humans learning about it are too grave to justify its continued operation."
        "But...Quo'on..." Zo'or began. "How else are we to..."
        Quo'on interrupted him and although he was in his true form, Boone could see the forbidding expression he turned on the diplomat. "You will close down and dismantle the facility immediately," he commanded, before cutting the link.
        Boone expected Zo'or to round on Da'an, but the unlikable Taelon's reaction filled him with dread.
        "Do not think that I did not see this coming," Zo'or sneered at Da'an. "I was aware of the Synod's decision before you even arrived. Indeed, I knew that this had to happen days ago."
        Without another word, he pushed his way past them and set off for another area of the building.
        Sandoval stood uncertainly where he was, apparently unsure of whether or not he should follow the retreating Taelon. Suddenly a flash from outside the window caught his eye, causing him to turn. His binoculars were in hand and he was already raising them to his eyes as he looked outside.
        "Boone!" he yelled, as he handed them off to his fellow implant and ran for the door.
        Boone quickly focused in on a journalist, who was now fleeing back around the corner of a nearby building. Tossing the binoculars angrily to Lili, he made to follow Sandoval out the door.
        "Boone?" Da'an asked urgently just before he passed him.
        The security chief paused. "The press. Somehow they found us!" he explained quickly before exiting the room. As he ran from the building, he saw Sandoval round the corner of the other building, firing his skrill.
        Shots rang out, driving him to the ground, where he rolled, looking for shelter!
        With a burst of speed, Boone hit the ground next to him, rolled and came up firing wide. All of his blasts missed the TV helicopter which was already accelerating upward and away. He raised his arm again, at war with himself over whether to fire or not, but Sandoval's arm knocked his aside as the other implant rose to his feet.
        "We can't afford to create more of an incident," he yelled over the noise. "We'll get them and whatever evidence they may have..."  Pulling out his global, he contacted his pilot and several of the guards, ordering them to meet him at his shuttle immediately.
"Get Zo'or and Da'an out of here," he ordered Boone, before running back toward the warehouse and disappearing inside.
        Boone surmised that his shuttle was parked on the other side of the structure as he made his own way back. When he re-entered the office, he found that Zo'or had returned.
        "Sandoval's gone after them in his shuttle," he explained. "We need to get back to the Embassy."
        Da'an and Zo'or exchanged a look and Da'an gestured for Boone to proceed.
 
 
        The ride back to the embassy did not go well. Boone was aware of the covert glances he was receiving from Da'an, and yet, when he glanced back, the Taelon would stare coldly ahead.
        His own eyes returned again and again to Lili. She had done it. She had actually gone and done it - betrayed him and Da'an! His heart sick over her actions, he turned his head away and caught a fleeting look of triumph on Zo'or's face.
        The nasty Taelon's words back in the office began to haunt him.
        When they landed, Lili tried to speak to him, but Da'an ordered her to remain in the shuttle and led the way to his audience chamber.  As the Companion assumed his chair, Boone moved into his customary position facing him and watched with sick interest as the North American Companion opened a data stream to Quo'on.
        Da'an blushed brightly as he explained the events which had just occurred.
        Quo'on's expression was grave. "What is Sandoval's..."
        Just then they received an incoming call.
        Sandoval himself appeared in another data stream. "We lost them," he stated. They must have hidden the chopper somewhere before we caught up with them." His expression was grim. "I've already contacted the TV station in question, but they keep insisting that they have no choppers out - and their records back up their claim."
        "Return immediately, Agent Sandoval," Da'an commanded, before cutting the link.
        "You realize the likely consequences we now face?" Quo'on asked him.
        "I do."
        "Are you prepared for what lies ahead?"
        "I ask only that you honor the plans we made to deal with such an eventuality."
        "What plans?" Zo'or immediately asked.
        "Zo'or," Quo'on addressed him. "You shall return to your New York domicile and await further instruction."
        Before the put-out UN representative could respond, Da'an spoke.
        "I request the return of Agent Sandoval," he addressed his superior.
        Quo'on nodded. "It shall be as we discussed. We shall monitor the situation." Without further adieu, he cut the transmission.
        Da'an turned to stare at Zo'or, who, realizing he would get no further information, turned and marched out of the room. Da'an then turned his eyes to Boone.
        They were cold and emotionless, as they had been when the two had first begun their association.
        "Da'an...I had no..." Boone began, but the Companion rose suddenly to his feet and cut him off.
        "Commander Boone," he spoke sharply. "You have been reassigned. Have Captain Marquette shuttle you to your office so that you might collect those items which you require before returning here. Your clothing and other essentials shall be sent to you."
        Boone stared at him in shock.
        "Do you understand what is required of you?"
        Boone could not have known how chilly those blue eyes could be until now. "I understand..." he murmured lifelessly.
        Da'an stepped down from his platform and moved closer. "Do not inform Captain Marquette of your change in status," he cautioned.
        "Don't worry, I won't," he grated.
        Turning his face away, Da'an moved off toward the ramp which led to his chambers.
 

 

 
 
        "Will," Lili began as soon as the implant boarded her shuttle, "I never..."
        "Save it," he snapped. "Get me back to my office so that I can get this over with."
        "Now listen..." she tried again.
        "No. YOU listen," he hissed as he leaned forward in his seat. "Doors has compromised my position. Even now, I have no idea of what kind of future - if any - I might be facing. Lili...I thought you were my friend - that we had gotten past the spy/control stage..." his voice broke and he was forced to stop for a moment. "It's become quite clear to me that when I left Doors' office, you sided with him..."
        "Will you give me a chance to explain?" she asked, in a hurt tone. Regret was plainly written on her face and her eyes were actually glistening with unshed tears.
        Boone rubbed his face and leaned back in his seat. "Not now, Lili. Please. I need some time...you have no idea what's happening..." He glanced briefly at her, his anger replaced by a tired acceptance of his circumstances.
        Without a word, Lili faced front and put the shuttle in motion, as she tried to salvage her pride by hiding her silent tears from him.
 
 
 
        Lili remained in the shuttle while Boone entered his office.
        Slowly and methodically, he began opening drawers and removing those items which he believed might prove useful to him wherever it was that he was going. Retrieving a small cardboard box from a storage room, he soon had the items, along with his personal photos, neatly packed away.
        Dropping into his office chair, he leaned as far back as he dared and stared up at the delicate blue structure which was the Taelon grown office addition. The lines of the original building could be seen through the virtual glass sunroof.
        He hadn't realized until now, how much he had come to think of the place as his - as his home. Sitting back up, he crossed his arms on his desk and laid his head upon them. It had become apparent to him - much too late - that he could not serve both the Taelon Synod and the human Liberation. Oh, he could work for the betterment of both races - he could work at promoting understanding and cooperation - he just couldn't continue to relay secrets back and forth between the sides.
        He didn't know if he still had any future within the Taelon hierarchy, but regardless...he was turning his back on the Liberation until such time as they honored the demand he would make... From now on, he walked his own path, he made his own decisions and he relayed only that information which HE felt was necessary for them to know. They had mucked things up one too many times -  disregarding his advice and endangering their cause as well as the general population.
        It was going to end.
        Sitting down at his office computer for the last time, he typed out a letter, printed it and sealed it in an envelope. He would give it to Lili to hand deliver to Doors. They could kill him if that was their wish. He had precious little left to lose anyway...
 
 
 
 
 
        Boone re-entered the embassy audience chamber to find only Sandoval awaiting him.
        The FBI Agent fixed him with a sympathetic look. "Where are your things, Boone?" he asked.
        "Out in the shuttle."
        Sandoval opened his global. "Captain," he spoke as Lili appeared on the screen, "Please move Commander Boone's things to shuttle number two. When you're done, you may leave."
        "May I ask what is going on?" Her tone was almost pleading.
        "You will be filled in when the time is right." He snapped the global shut and turned to face his fellow implant. "Have you had a chance to see the TV broadcasts?" he asked.
        Boone frowned. "Already? I knew it would happen quickly, but..."
        Sandoval activated the data stream and played back the latest news report. It clearly showed the two Taelons and three humans in the warehouse office. Da'an's conversation with Zo'or, as well as Quo'on's voice, could be heard discussing the project. Afterwards, the news anchor announced that the President was meeting with his cabinet and that they would bring their audience a live update when they knew more.
        "How did they get such perfect sound?" Boone asked. "I can understand the video...we've all seen that kind of telephoto technology, but the sound...."
        "They have their ways," Sandoval shrugged. "Boone...." The Agent clearly looked uncomfortable. "I've been given your old position as head of Security and Interspecies Relations."
        "Hey, it's a tough job, but at least you got an nice office..." he quipped.
        Sandoval allowed himself a slight smile. "I'm not the only one to be promoted. You've been as well."
        "Promoted? I don't understand...I thought Da'an was getting rid of me, that he..." He broke off, unwilling to say so much to a man whom he had considered a rival.
        "I seriously doubt that Da'an would do such a thing," Sandoval sighed. "Of course, you do know him better than I do..." He shook himself. "You've been assigned to serve Quo'on aboard the mother ship."
        Boone blinked in surprise. "Quo'on?"
        "Yes. You'd best be going. He awaits you." Sandoval shook his head. "You know, I can't believe your luck. First you're hand-picked by the North American Companion and then...you become the first non-Taelon ever to serve the Synod Leader. Unbelievable!" He gestured toward the ramp which led to the shuttle bay. "Shuttle two is waiting. Quo'on has even furnished you with your own assistant..." He shook his head again. "Unbelievable..." he said, again, under his breath.
        In a sort of daze, Boone made his way from the room. As he passed the bottom of the ramp which led to Da'an's chamber, something made him stop and look up over his shoulder. The Companion was standing there, watching him with a lost look upon his face. Boone's heart lurched painfully, but before he could speak or move, Da'an turned and disappeared into his room. For a second, Boone considered following him. They couldn't part like this!
        The second passed and he forced himself to continue on his way.
        Maybe it was better this way...
 
 
End of Part Two
In two weeks:
Part Three  - The Story's Finale