Singled Out
An Earth - Final Conflict (Prequel) story by Tina Price
(TinaP@prodigy.net)

Preview: As an adolescent, Da'an once followed a unique course of action, which ended up influencing his future... and in turn, our own...

Disclaimer: Earth - Final Conflict, all characters and images therein are the property of the Tribune Entertainment Company. Original Story Idea © 1998, Tina Price. All rights reserved. Several characters appearing in this story are my own creation. Any similarity with anyone living or dead is purely coincidental.

Authors notes: Any text appearing in a Purple and between the following symbols: < & >, denotes mental communication. In my past stories, I postulated that it takes two Taelons to procreate, but that each member of the pair brings forth and raises their own offspring. Said offspring has been given the vast majority of their substance by their 'birth' parent and therefore is very nearly a copy of said parent, physically anyway. A Taelon refers to their 'birth' parent as their parent and usually has very little if anything to do with the other Taelon who helped bring about their creation. They refer to this other Taelon as their sub-parent and they normally do not imply that the other infant created from the union is related to them. Only other Taelons birthed by their parent are (usually) referred to as siblings. As I said, this is MY idea on the subject and does not in any way represent the ideas of the series creators...
        As always, I am in no way receiving 'privileged information'. A friendly warning: I've taken steps to protect my material! Any  advice, criticism and kudos are always welcomed. Please contact me at the above e-mail address.


Singled Out
Image is from Earth - Final Conflict and is the property of Tribune Entertainment
 
 
 

        Sra'lal communed with his fellows through their common link, as was his habit in the evenings and frowned slightly.
        That one was pondering his individuality again, causing ripples of discomfort to spread outward throughout the commonality. Brought forth by Ma'el, he had inherited his parent's strong presence in the link and his strange musings had begun disturbing the others at a very young age.
        Now his stature and appearance marked him as fully mature, while his mind betrayed his youthfulness. In many areas of the commonality, his strange musings were considered entertaining. Ma'el's own ponderings had been missed since his departure to the newly discovered world and his offspring's similarities were a welcome distraction.
        Synod leader Sra'lal, leaned back in his chair and concentrated.
        What was that one up to now?
 
 

        Da'an sat upon the large window seat on an upper level of the abode in which his family resided and watched those who moved about the concourse below.
        What strange twist of fate dictated that he be fortunate enough to live within this dwelling, whilst many of those passing below returned to much smaller, less private quarters?
        Privacy...
        A concept which held much fascination for him. In a society in which all members were joined through the mind web they referred to as the commonality, it was amazing that such a concept should exist. Yet...did they not all have a side - a secret self - which they chose not to share?
        <Da'an.>
        He looked up to find his sub-parent watching him from the doorway. Standing as quickly as he was able, he approached him with the respect which he was due.
        In a show of affection for his sub-child, Xe'em placed a hand directly upon his head. <You are projecting too strongly again, young one. Have you not heard Sra'lal's request that you desist?> He spoke to his sub-offspring directly, mind-to-mind, as was correct between friends and family.
        Da'an reveled in the contact for a moment, but then cast his eyes to the floor at the mild reprimand. <I did not sense him...,> he admitted.
        <You must pay more attention to the voices of the commonality,> his other-parent again reminded him. <The Mentor is here. Quo'on is with him already. Go to them now.>
        With a quick bow, Da'an headed for the ramp which would lead him down to the atrium. He looked forward to today's learning, for the Master who was acting as their mentor this day was an explorer of other worlds.
        He had also known Ma'el...
        By the time he arrived at his destination, most of the other young Taelons in the building had gathered together about the mentor. With some relief, he noted that the lesson had not yet begun. They were apparently awaiting his arrival.
        "My brother arrives," Quo'on addressed the mentor.
        As one, everyone gathered turned to look at him and he found himself advancing slowly toward them, uncertain as to why he should feel so uncomfortable...
        With a quick glance at Quo'on, the mentor stepped forward, looking Da'an up and down.
        Da'an watched with amazement as the elder Taelon smiled at him.
        "You are the child of my friend," he said, almost laying a hand upon Da'an's head. "Long have I been gone from our world and many more years has it been since I communed with Ma'el," he explained, as he gently made contact. "Yet, in touching you, I have connected with him once more..."
        Uncertain of how to respond, Da'an tolerated the touch. "You knew my parent well..." he prompted.
        "Yes. Had your sub-parent not agreed to care for you, I would have abandoned my last assignment to do so myself," the mentor admitted. "Such is the respect I held for your parent." He looked from Da'an to Quo'on and back, finally addressing Quo'on. "Your parent is to be greatly admired for having raised both his union offspring. These days so very few choose to raise even their own... It is reassuring to see the affection you two bear each other."
        Deeply uncomfortable by the attention being given him, Da'an did his best to steer the master back to his assignment. "Will you show us all that you have seen in your travels?" he asked hopefully.
        With a nod, the mentor moved to the center of those who wished to learn, allowing them to encircle him, touching him with their extended hands.
        The learning began...

 
        Da'an was meditating upon the verandah late in the afternoon when his sub-parent again approached him. Moving forward, he seated himself cross-legged upon the twilight blue pavement next to his sub-child and regarded him in silence for a time.
        <Xe'em?> Da'an acknowledged without so much as shifting his pose of tranquility.
         <I have spoken with the mentor. He sought me out once your day's learning was completed,> Xe'em began. Receiving no response from the more sensitive of his union children, he continued. <He was impressed with your desire to learn and commends you on your acquired store of knowledge in his chosen field.>
        There was a pause, as Da'an opened his eyes and tilted his head so that he might see his sub-parent's face. <He confuses me with my parent,> he said softly. <Like so many, it is Ma'el he sees - not me.>
        <I believe that you do not give yourself enough credit, young one, for though you share much in common with your parent, you are very much unique amongst us.> Reaching forward, Xe'em again placed a hand on Da'an's head. <No Taelon, hearing your ponderings about your 'individuality' within the link could ever mistake you for another. You must trust in yourself.>
        Da'an smiled faintly and reached out to touch his sub-parent's head in return. <You have always come to me when I have felt most alone,> he thought and then switching to verbal speech, he leaned closer and whispered, "I thank you for having raised me. Never could I imagine my life had I been sent to one with less...understanding."
        His sub-parent regarded him tenderly. "Raising you has not been a chore, Da'an, but a great adventure..."
        The statement drew a bubble of mental laughter from the adolescent, but before either could say more, Quo'on's thoughts interrupted them.
        <Eh'har is here,> he announced.
        After acknowledging his brother, Da'an stood, intent upon meeting his friend.
        Xe'em grasped his arm, halting him in his tracks.
        <You thanked me for raising you... as though that time was done. Are you contemplating joining a caste? Have you made your choice?> There was more than a little anxiety in the elder Taelon's mind.
        <I have not yet chosen, however I sense that the time has all but come,> Da'an replied.
        <Then I wish you luck in your journey of self-discovery. May you find the correct path towards your future.> Xe'em uttered the ancient blessing which all Taelon parents eventually bestowed upon their mature offspring.
        With a shy smile and a slow blink of his eyes, Da'an made the gesture of parting to his sub-parent and accompanied Quo'on down the ramp to where Eh'har surely waited for him. He was aware of his brother's curiosity and therefore not surprised when he was addressed.
        <You have made your choice?> Quo'on asked as they approached the ground level.
        Da'an shook his head. <I am not so fortunate as you. Always have you been pulled toward the diplomatic caste, while I have never felt any one calling...>
        <You excel at those studies which would make you as great an explorer and scientist as your parent. I know of your fascination in the discovery and study of new species...> Quo'on tilted his head in a puzzled fashion. <Why do you deny this part of your heritage?>
        Da'an rolled his head in the Taelon equivalent of a shrug. "I wish to find my own future," he said aloud, trying hard not to broadcast his thoughts to the commonality. "It is important to me that I tread my own path and not that of my parent."
        Quo'on snorted. "Never have I met a fellow with such an odd sense of not belonging..."
        "I wish to be a productive member of our species," Da'an corrected him. "I do not see why this means I must not think my own thoughts..."
        Just then they rounded a corner and came upon Eh'har. The offspring of an elite member of the scientific caste, he was friend to both of them. Da'an especially felt an attachment to him, for he too questioned the differences between himself and his parent. For Eh'har, however, individuality was a more difficult concept to entertain. He lived with his parent..and parent's parent...
        "Eh'har," Da'an greeted him. "I feel your need to communicate some information to us. What is it that has happened?"
        "My parent has brought the otharranna home," their friend said with a smile.
        Da'an and Quo'on exchanged looks.
        "May we observe it?" Quo'on finally asked.
        "It is the reason I have arrived. Please allow me to escort you to my abode," Eh'har replied.
        As the three of them started through a sheltered concourse which led to the next group of living structures, Da'an spoke.
        "If the otharranna has been allowed into our habitation area, I assume that your parent's experiment was a success."
        Eh'har nodded. "Yes. the implant has allowed him to control the animal's more primitive impulses and has rendered it most docile."
        "Why has it been moved from the research facility to your abode?" Quo'on asked.
        "It has been assigned tasks which it must perform each day," their friend explained. "We are observing its abilities and tracking its functioning in Taelon society."
        "I am certain that our fellow Taelons will be startled to see so large a matter-based creature moving about amongst them..." Da'an surmised. "May I ask what its assigned tasks are?"
        "It is to enter the environment and gather tadarras. It has been specifically instructed not to do so in any area in which its digging will destroy Taelon landscaping," Eh'har explained.
        Da'an stopped walking, forcing the others to stop as well. "It is a very long way from our abodes to such a place," he noted. "Surely a single trip would take the animal over half our rotational time?"
        "Ah, but the tadarras it gathers will allow a beautiful show at our next celebration of the season. You see that we have at least found it a useful task." Eh'har gestured towards the concourse exit. "We are nearly arrived. Let us hurry that we may be present when it returns from its first outing."
        In short order, the three friends made their way through the corridors of the abode and came upon the large, ground level quarters of Eh'har's family.
        His was one of the few families in which a parent's parent still resided. His grand parent had also been a noted scientist and so when his parent made great progress in the field as well, the two were assigned to work together. It had simply made sense for the younger Taelon to move back into the home of its parent - they spent all their time discussing their projects anyway.
        When Eh'har had been brought forth, they had gained notoriety for being the only three generation family in the sector.
        Now as the friends entered the home, Da'an felt himself fuzzing - slightly losing the boundaries of his form - at the sight which greeted him. Standing in the room before him were two identical older versions of Eh'har.
        As many times as he had greeted the parent and grand-parent of his friend, the sight never failed to disturb him.
        "Quo'on. Da'an. We welcome you to observe our experiment," Eh'har's parent greeted them warmly.
        "We thank you for the opportunity," Quo'on responded, sensing his brother's discomfort.
        "Our surveillance has picked him up," The grand-parent related. "He is approaching the outer habitat doorway now."
         But a few minutes later a side door, which opened directly onto the private yard, swung inward and otharranna shuffled in. The height of a Taelon at its shoulder, it was a hunched over animal which moved about on four limbs. The front ones ended in three digit 'hands' which allowed the animal to manipulate objects. Its head was large, with two small, black, foward-facing eyes, a large snout with prominent teeth, large nostrils and small, pointed ears. The entire creature was covered with thick, mottled brown fur.
        As the visitors watched in amazement, the creature moved to stand before Eh'har's parent and rising up on its back feet, unslung a sack from around its shoulders, where the thick fur had concealed it. Sitting back on its haunches, it handed the sack over to its master.
        Eh'har's parent opened it, displaying two medium sized tadarras. "Is this all you were able to collect in the allotted time?" he asked, as the creature flattened itself to the floor and whined.
        Da'an felt a shock of pity for the animal as Eh'har's parent ordered it to go back out and collect at least five more before returning. With a quick glance at his friends, he bowed slightly and addressed the scientist. "Perhaps it may be allowed to refresh itself before resuming its task?" he asked. "I believe that animals of its type require much water in heat such as we are currently experiencing."
        The four other occupants stared at him in surprise for a moment before the scientist finally responded.
        "The otharranna must learn what is expected of it," he said sharply, causing Da'an to look down at the floor. "When it has adequately completed its task, it may have a day in which to refresh itself."
        Stung by the mild chastisement, Da'an glanced at the cowering animal and realized with a shock that it was looking up at him intently.
        "I apologize for questioning your methods," Da'an said, as he raised his eyes to meet Eh'har's parents'. "I thank you for this opportunity, however, I fear that there is something I must do."
        "Very well, Da'an," the grand-parent answered. "Do not be ashamed of asking such questions, for it shows an active mind. We will perhaps see you another time?"
        With a nod, Da'an bowed and turning, left the room. As he passed out the main entrance to the home, Eh'har caught up with him.
        "What are you up to, Da'an?" he asked. "I know you too well..."
        "There is a task I feel compelled to perform," he answered. "Do not worry. We shall discuss this on the morrow."
        Exchanging formal leave taking with his friend, he hurried on his way. He would need to move quickly if he were to have a chance at success...
 
 
 
        By the time the otharranna left the habitation enclosure and made its way through the ample gardens, Da'an had positioned himself where the surveillance cameras could not see him. The animal was passing within an arms breath of him when he held out the container of water by its strap, offering it to the creature.
        The otharranna stopped and stared at him for a moment before sitting back on its haunches and accepting the parcel. With a twist, it opened the top and downed a goodly portion of the contents.
        Resealing the container and then shouldering it, it then did something amazing...
        It pointed to itself and uttered the word, 'Taaka'. Then it pointed to him and said, "Daaan".
        If Da'an were one of the humans his parent was studying, his hair would, no doubt, stand on end... As it was, he fuzzed up. The creature was telling him its name and saying that it knew his!
        As he stood, frozen by shock, it nodded and then continued on its lumbering way.
        A strange feeling welled up inside him - a feeling of accomplishment, tempered by a feeling of dread. The creature was far more than the animal he and his friends had been led to believe it was. If it could talk...and communicate that it had a name, was it not a sentient being deserving of their respect?
        He began to wonder at Eh'har's parent's involvement in the experimentation being carried out on the otharranna.
        Surely he realized that this was no mere beast?
 
 

 

 
        Over the course of the next nine days, Da'an continued meeting the otharranna, bringing him first water and then also vegetation of the type it consumed.
        It did not take him long to win the creature's trust and it's consent to touch it. Running his hands over Taaka's thick brown pelt, he had been able to establish a small, but functional link to it, even interpreting some of its thoughts.
        Although Taaka was a simple creature, it did have intelligence and feelings. It was not long before he had developed an empathic fondness for it.
        Now, as he stood before Taaka on the ninth morning, stroking its back and bulging sides, Da'an picked up a definite invitation on the otharranna's part.
        Taaka was asking him to keep it company during its long trek!
        With a glance back toward the habitation area, he weighed the feasibility of making the journey. True, he might be spotted leaving if any were watching the monitor, but it was not forbidden to do so. His sub-parent might grow worried, however he felt certain that Xe'em would understand why he risked the wild areas.
        In the end, he knew that this was an adventure he could not miss.
        With a nod at Taaka, he followed the otharranna out towards the distant hills.
        Otharranna's were known to have a unique way of sensing geodes, so long as they were somewhere near the surface of the ground. It apparently had something to do with a change in the chemical makeup of the air directly over the buried geode - the otharrannas could 'see' the change.
        Taelons had, of course, developed instruments which were capable of locating the geodes and in the course of the last few generations, had pretty much cleared the natural areas surrounding the habitation areas of them. Taelon technology could not distinguish between a geode of any type and one which was a tadarra. Otharrannas could however locate tadarras specifically and they were better yet at finding those which had been overlooked. Since tadarras hadn't been actively searched for in many seasons, some were appearing with the ground tremors which opened large faults and turned the ground... and they were now worth a great deal when they were found.
        He and Taaka walked well into the afternoon before arriving at a spot at the base of the hills where the ground was disturbed.
        It was exceedingly hot and the hills cast their shadows upon their other face, leaving the two travelers in the direct light. Da'an sat upon a rock. He was fortunate in that heat did not much affect Taelons - they felt discomfort, but were not endangered. He was, however, quite tired from the long walk.
        Taaka was not so fortunate. He had been drinking a great deal of the water and had very little left to get him through the labors ahead. The poor creature was panting in the heat as he began digging in the hard, rocky soil with nothing more than his clawed front limbs.
        It took the otharranna a very long time to locate the tadarra, which had lain nearly a Taelon's height beneath the surface. Pity welled up within Da'an at the knowledge that it would need to repeat its efforts four more times before it could return to the comfort of the habitation area...
 
 
 
 
         Xe'em summoned his sub-child before him as soon as the adolescent entered their abode. He had touched his mind earlier and known that he had gone off into the natural areas with the creature belonging to Deh'r.
         Knowing that Da'an could not turn down such an excursion any more than his parent would have, Xe'em had contented himself with merely waiting for his safe return.
        Still, he had worried about his sub-child...
        <Da'an,> he reached out mentally as soon as Ma'el's offspring entered his private chambers. <Whyfore did you go off with the otharranna? You know the natural areas may pose dangers...>
        <I regret having upset you, Sub-parent,> Da'an responded as he moved to take Xe'em's hands. <However, I had much to do in the way of deciding my course of action...>
        <With regard to the otharranna?>
        Da'an nodded. <Parent, it is a sentient creature, undeserving of the treatment it receives at our hands!>
        <There are varying degrees of sentience, Da'an. You know this...> He was interrupted by the young one.
        <This I know, however, there is no doubt in my mind that Taaka is quite sentient... and he is not well...> Da'an dropped his sub-parent's hands and wandered to the window, where he watched the sunset.
        Xe'em moved to stand beside him and placed his hands on the troubled Taelon's shoulders. He could feel that Da'an was nearly depleted and in need of his energy stream. "Tell me," he invited.
        "I wish to help this creature, parent...however, I fear being ostracized for my efforts..."
        "You fear that the others will label you as 'different' once more." Xe'em stated with certainty.
        "...Yes..." Da'an whispered before turning to face his sub-parent. "I know this is something I must do, and yet...I fear..." He looked up at Xe'em with large, confused eyes. "What am I to do?"
        <You will do what you already know you must do,> Xe'em thought. <I know you. You will not rest otherwise.> Patting his sub-child on the back, he switched to speech. "Go now. Rest and meditate, knowing that I support your path..."
        With a wan smile, Da'an turned and headed, not for the energy stream within his chamber, but for the balcony.
 
 
 
 
        Eh'har arrived on the balcony later that same evening and took the cushion Da'an offered him. For a time, the two friends sat in silence.
        <When last we met, you told me that we would speak of what troubled you, yet I have not seen you in the nine days since your visit to my dwelling,> Eh'har finally said.
        Falling into a long-time pattern, he spoke mind-to-mind with Da'an, in the hopes of picking up the more subtle nuances in such a conversation. <Will you tell me what troubles you so?>
        Da'an glanced at him and then back to the ground. <I fear speaking of it, for surely I may damage our friendship...or your own relationship with your parent.>
        <Speak then. Rather would I hear it than have us become but members of the commonality to each other!>
        Da'an hesitated. <How does the otharranna fair?> he asked slowly.
        <It has slowed considerably since last you saw it. I fear that all is not well with it...> Eh'har admitted.
        <And what does your parent say about its condition?> Da'an asked.
        <He says that it is becoming lazy, that it returns later and later because it does not wish to dig quickly.>
        <I fear that the otharranna is ill,> Da'an replied. <It requires more rest, more water and more food than it is receiving. It is it's illness which slows it's progress.>
        <How could you know of this?> Eh'har questioned. <My own parent is well aware of the animal's requirements and does not feel this is so.>
        <For nine days, I have met the creature at the habitat portal, supplying it with water and food for its journey. It is a sentient creature Eh'har. It knows my name and tells me to call it Taaka. I feared telling you this, for I felt that you would not wish to question your parents motives in his experimentation.>
        Eh'har stared at him in shock, but did not doubt his friend's statements. <It is sentient? It speaks? Why would it not then communicate with my family?>
        <Perhaps it fears to...>
        <My parent is aware of its requirements and the creature is plump enough. How could it be that it is being neglected as you say?>
        <I do not know,> Da'an answered, <But I can feel that it is suffering. It must be given time to rest. Will you consult your parent...or grand-parent about this?>
        <Rest assured that I shall. Immediately.> Eh'har rose and Da'an rose with him.
        Each placed a hand on the other's chest in a parting given to close friends, before Eh'har turned and made his way from the dwelling.
        Da'an resumed his seat by the balcony's edge and looked out over the main concourse. Taaka was down there, slowly making its way back in the direction of Eh'har's dwelling. It glanced up at Da'an as it passed and nodded its acknowledgment of his presence.
        Slowly the young Taelon closed his eyes and gave a mental sigh. He had done what he could. Perhaps Eh'har would obtain some respite for the creature. Rising, he prepared to leave the habitat enclosure. He needed to retrieve the water container and fill it for the next day...just in case it was still needed.
 
 

        It was not long after he had accomplished his task, that he felt a disturbance in the commonality and with dread, felt himself being summoned to Eh'har's abode...
 

 
 
        Xe'em rose from the chair in his chamber and moved to check upon his sub-child. The young one had been treated quite harshly by Deh'r the evening before and had retired to his chambers immediately upon his return. Although he had attempted to conceal his state of emotional turmoil, Xe'em had felt it from his own chamber and worried about his unorthodox offspring.
        Now as he carefully entered Da'an's chamber, his worry increased. The young one was not here...
 

        Da'an sat upon the very roof of the complex in which he lived and watched miserably as the sun rose. He had taken a wrap with him and moved to his current, secretive location during the very early time before sun up. The material was a mesh fabric, kept warm by a powercell, but the cell had become depleted of energy a while back and he was feeling the chill of his planet's crisp nighttime atmosphere. Even now he sat huddled within its folds, with his back against the main building structure, unable to stop quivering.
        Only he knew that the chill was not the cause of his shaking.
        He had been severely reprimanded by Deh'r in front of Eh'har and his grandparent. He had been reminded of his unsuitability to make any scientific observations with regard to the project which Deh'r, a master in his field, had begun.
        Remembering the humiliation of his chastisement, the sorrowful look on Eh'har's face...he rested his head upon his knees and fuzzed.
        The worse part of all had been Deh'r's intention to increase Taaka's workload - to prove to Da'an that the otharranna had been taking advantage of him.
        Da'an would not be allowed to bring water or food to the beast again, a mandate backed by the Synod leader himself!
        His humiliation had been communicated throughout the commonality...
        Now, as he remembered the events of the night before, and seemed about to drown in a sea of his own pain, he felt the comforting touch of his sub-parent's embrace and found himself clinging to Xe'em like a very young one.
        <It is not all so bad as you believe it to be,> the older Taelon soothed. He had, long ago, discovered Da'an's secret place and surmised that he would seek out solitude there during troubling times. <You did your best to right an injustice and many in the commonality understand this.>
        <They believe me to be unstable..>
        <Only a few believe this, and they do not know you.> Sensing that his thoughts were not calming the young one, Xe'em lifted Da'an's chin so that he would look him in the eye. "Da'an," he said aloud. "You are like your parent, unable to see injustice done without moving to help end it...and no one would ever say that Ma'el is unstable. He is, as you know, widely respected and liked."
        "But...I am not like him! I do not ever seem to make a difference..."
        "My...child," Xe'em spoke, causing Da'an to blink at the being referred to as his proper-child. "You are so like my bonded one, that I could not help but love you more than any child I myself might bring forth. You are everything I could ever wish in an child of mine..."
        Glowing feebly, so depleted was he, Da'an hugged his sub-parent tightly and for a time found peace within his embrace...
 

 

 
 
        Da'an was relaxing within his energy stream, absorbing the sustenance which he had, in a fit of self-loathing, denied himself the evening before, when Quo'on entered his chamber.
        Sitting up in his chair, he cut off the stream and waited patiently for his sibling to convey his thoughts.
        <Da'an,> the other young Taelon addressed him, as he approached. <I wished to let you know that I support your attempt to aid the otharranna. I do not know why Deh'r is being so obstinant...unless it is due to his impending division...>
        Da'an's head tilted in surprise at the information. <Deh'r brings forth another offspring?> he asked, in amazement.
        Quo'on looked at him strangely. <Did you not note his fuzzed out abdomen?> he asked. <I would guess that the child will be brought forth at anytime...>
        <Eh'har has never mentioned...>
        <I believe that Eh'har may be denying the obvious,> Quo'on shrugged. <I came to you so that you would know that I respect what you did. I offer my aid to your cause. Perhaps Eh'har's parent will be more reasonable once the child begins its own existance.>
        Da'an stood and offered his hand, smiling as Quo'on took it. By touch alone, he conveyed his joy at having been raised with his sub-parent's child. <You are my true brother,> he thought as their sharing ended.
        Quo'on returned his smile. "It pleases me greatly that you feel as I do," he said aloud.
        Just then Xe'em's thoughts found them. <Eh'har has arrived,> he announced.
        When they arrived in the atrium, they found, to their amazement that Eh'har was carrying containers of both food and water.
        "Come along," their friend urged. "The otharranna...Taaka, does not fair well this day. I fear for its health."
        Without further word, the two fell into step with their friend and made their way towards the outskirts of the habitat area.
        As they walked, Da'an kept sneaking sideways glances at his friend. Finally he was unable to prevent himself from asking the question which was troubling him. "Eh'har...you would help me in this...despite your parent's anger at my previous involvement?"
        "I am not Deh'r," he stated tersely.
        "Will your parent not surmise what it is we are doing?" Quo'on asked.
        "He is quite...busy...dividing his form," Eh'har said sharply. "Besides, my grand-parent has sanctioned my actions..."
        Noting Eh'har's obvious disturbance over the 'becoming' of his brother, Quo'on and Da'an became silent.
        "Taaka was moving with much difficulty this morning," Eh'har said, quite a while later, breaking the silence. "I believe that we shall overtake him well before midday."
        They had been walking for the better portion of the morning and Da'an could feel that Quo'on was beginning to doubt their ability to catch up with the creature they pursued, when Eh'har suddenly pointed to something in the distance.
        "What is that?" he asked. "Is it Taaka?"
        Seeing the brown mound in the distance, Da'an quickened his pace, heading right for it. "I fear that it is the otharranna," he sighed when he saw its legs flail weakly.
        Quickening his pace, he approached the poor alien and going down on his knees, cradled its head in his lap.
        Taaka's eyes opened and regarded him sadly, as though it had already given up all hope of survival.
        "Do not fear," he soothed, both verbally and mentally. "We shall aid you."
        Holding out his hand for the water container, Da'an opened it once it was passed to him and carefully poured the cool liquid into the thirsty creature's mouth. Stroking it's muzzle, he felt its momentary relief that it would not face the end alone...that perhaps the strange young creatures of light would save its...
        "Da'an!" Quo'on cried out. "The creature is lying in its blood! It bleeds profusely!"
        "Its innards are protruding!" Eh'har added, with a note of disgust and panic in his tone.
        Rising, Da'an moved to view the problem, fearing what he might find.
        The creature was bleeding, a condition which they all knew could result in its death. Moving around to where Eh'har was indicating, Da'an noted that the creatures innards did appear to be protruding from its posterior...except that...
        "I believe Taaka is birthing offspring!" he said in amazement.
        "Offspring? How can this be?" Eh'har asked in confusion. "Taaka has been in Taelon hands for a very long time..."
        "My parent, Ma'el, reports that upon the planet Earth, life forms are divided into different 'sexes', with only the 'female' sex bringing forth life."
        Quo'on stared at him, aghast. "Only one of the pair brings life? That is preposterous!"
        "I have studied most of my parent's reports," Da'an assured them. "The 'male' sex contributes as much to the offspring's makeup as the female, however it is true that only the female brings forth offspring. Ma'el has reported that many different female animals from the planet, "Earth" bear their young a long interval after joining with a male..."
        "Taaka must be female then." Quo'on stated, making more room for Da'an and staring curiously at the spectacle before them. "Can you aid it?"
        "I know not much about this...process," Da'an admitted. "However, I fear that Taaka does not believe that she will survive..." That said, he knelt closer to the creature and laying his hands upon her, tried to offer her mental encouragement.
        With a groan, she tensed, causing her abdomen to heave and harden. Da'an watched in amazement as the glistening sack protruded further and then ruptured, spilling liquid over the dry soil.
        The three friends were now able to make out a small tail and part of a leg. A miniature otharranna was slowly becoming!
        Eh'har moved to cradle Taaka's head and could be heard encouraging her to try again, while Quo'on knelt next to her large belly and running his hand over the brown fur there, sought to ease her pain.
        Looking closely at the emerging infant, Da'an was able to note the problem. One of its legs was caught at a strange angle! Hardly believing that he dared to do so, he grasped the infant's hind quarters and focusing his strength, twisted it slightly to one side.
        The leg came free of its parent's flesh even as Taaka tensed and pushed again.
        This time the entire infant slipped out!
        "There it is!" Quo'on informed Eh'har. "A miniature otharranna has emerged!"
        Da'an looked up, clearly worried. Taaka was making no move to help her child... and he could see that all was not right. The infant was still attached to the parent by a strange, twisting cord and it struggled feebly in its clear membranes.
        Coming to a decision, he began tearing the membrane off the new creature, who coughed and sputtered and finally let out an odd wail. Da'an lifted it up into his arms, a look of joy upon his face.
        "This one must be male," he stated as he examined it more closely. "It is not quite the same as Taaka at its posterior end."
        As his eyes met Eh'har's and their minds made contact, his smile faded.
        Taaka had faded away to join the void...
        As one, the three friends began to glow brilliantly, as they wrestled with the emotion of loss. Several minutes later, when the young otharranna began nuzzled at Da'an's hand, Quo'on spoke.
        "Perhaps we had best end its attachment to the parent creature," he said with his usual practicality, indicating the cord.
        Da'an shook free of the numb state he had slipped into. Quo'on was quite correct. Taaka was gone from them, but his...her offspring had need of their aid. "I have not the necessary tools.." he began, helplessly.
        Quo'on stood and moved off a way before lifting a sharp rock from the ground and returning to hand it to his brother.
        "My hands are full," Da'an said. "Perhaps you might perform the task?"
        "I will do it," Eh'har said, as he gently lowered Taaka's head to the ground and rose to his feet. He was glowing brightly, and Da'an was able to feel the guilt which consumed him.
        As Eh'har knelt beside him and began cutting at the cord, Da'an spoke. "It is not your fault that Taaka joined the void, Eh'har," he said, trying to soothe his friend.
        "It is my fault," Eh'har said in a tone heavily laden with...anger? "You at least attempted to aid this creature, while I stood back, fearing to question my parent..." Just then, the cord parted, so that Da'an was able to stand with the infant otharranna in his arms. "If I had but brought it more water and sustenance during the nights it sheltered in my home, it would still be amongst us..." Eh'har continued.
        "Such thoughts will not change matters, " Quo'on admonished. "We must bring the young one back to the habitation area before it too expires."
        "What of Taaka's body?" Eh'har asked, clearly disturbed.
        "We can do nothing about it now," Quo'on responded. "Come, we shall notify the proper caste once we have returned..."
        Da'an stroked the infant's head as it bleated. He seemed lost in thought for a moment, his form glowing brightly on and off. Several moments ticked by before he composed himself and spoke. "The young one is thirsty and hungers," he related. "It is most likely suffering for its parent's abuse. I believe we had best take it directly to the xenology building. It would be best cared for there."
        "I agree," Eh'har said with a nod, as he stooped down and shouldered Taaka's gathering bag. "I would not trust my parent's reaction to this news..."
        "Very well. Let us be on our way," Quo'on urged. "Can you manage the otharranna alone, Da'an?"
        Da'an nodded. In truth, the creature was heavy...however, he felt that he owed it to Taaka to care for its offspring, at least until it was time to turn it over to another. Besides, he had connected with it when it had begun licking his face...
        <Poor orphaned little creature,> he thought privately to it. <You must grow strong and carry on for your parent so that when you meet her in the void, she will be proud of your deeds...>
        As if on cue, the infant licked his cheek again.
 
        Xe'em entered Deh'r's abode when Deh'r's parent opened the portal to him. With a bow, he asked permission to address the scientist, intent upon obtaining his agreement to smooth things over with Da'an...
        "He is in the final stages of division," the parent announced. "However, he may welcome your presence, since he shuns my aid..." He led the way inside and gestured to the left. "You will find him within his chamber," he said.
        With a startled look at the parent, Xe'em slowly moved forward and entered the indicated room.
        Within, the unfortunate Deh'r was writhing on his feet as he attempted to render up some of his form with which to cloth the new sentience which had developed within him and now hungered for its own existence. The trick was in not allowing it to grasp too much of his substance for itself.
        He appeared to be losing to his own offspring, an occurrence which could mean his own death.
        "Give me your hands that I might aid you," Xe'em offered.
        Deh'r grasped his offered hands as though his life depended upon it - which it did.
        "I did not want this!" he groaned. "I was a fool to succumb!"
        "Hush now," Xe'em replied. "Soon you will have a new child. Your feeling will change then..."
        "No! They will not! This child has whispered within my mind and thoughts for the entire time I have hosted it. It has influenced me in ways which leave me shamed..." He paused to groan again as a portion of one of his pathways divided into two. "I will not raise it! It is not a Taelon!"
        Xe'em was taken aback. He had heard of Taelons who viewed their offspring as unwanted aliens, but he had never heard of so serious a case. Still....because of their joined hands, he was aware of Deh'r's child and it did seem to be trying to grasp far more of its parent's form than was normal.
        "Concentrate, Deh'r," he commanded. "It is time to end this labor."
        "I will not raise it!" Was Deh'r's final shriek as he dropped Xe'em's hands. A large portion of his form billowed out of his abdomen and gently settled into his waiting arms. Even as he doubled over and sank to the floor, the new one arranged itself into typical Taelon form, becoming a squirming infant.
        Xe'em knelt down next to him, and fearful that he would harm the child when he saw what it had done, took it from his arms. The infant was twice the normal size of a Taelon new-formed and Deh'r had been greatly reduced by the ordeal. Standing and moving to the door, Xe'em opened it and called in Deh'r's parent, entreating him to help his own offspring into the energy stream.
        Deh'r's parent gaped at the infant as he entered the chamber, while Xe'em moved into the abode's common area and seated himself in a chair. He contemplated the child he held and felt a profound distaste for the consciousness he felt trying to touch his mind.
        Something was not right with it....
 
 
 
        It was very late in the day when the three fatigued friends finally re-entered the portion of the local habitation area where their abodes were located.
        The xenologists had been taken aback by their relation of Taaka's fate and its infant's needs. The young otharranna had been quickly examined and removed to an enclosure where caregivers would attempt to pair it with another such female creature - they had two, each with offspring.
        Da'an had offered to raise the creature himself if the adults would not, even though he had been told how difficult such a task would be. Still, he had not backed down and the head Xenologist had smiled slightly at his dedication, no doubt believing that he might one day join their caste.
        Eh'har had been deeply disturbed to find that his parent had known the creature was female and might have been gravid. He had taken a grim satisfaction in the xenologist's statements that Deh'r would be held accountable for the atrocity...
        Now, as Da'an and Quo'on were about to head away to their own structure, Eh'har halted them with a pleading thought.
        "What is the matter?" Quo'on asked.
        "I do not wish to face my parent alone," their friend responded. "He is sure to have been alerted by the disturbance in to the commonality and must already know of our hand in his disgrace..."
        "Your parent must face the consequences of his actions," Quo'on said. "It would serve no purpose for him to chastise you for his own failure."
        "I shall accompany you," Da'an quickly offered when he felt the trill of fear his friend again emitted. "Besides, I would welcome the opportunity to greet your new sibling."
        Eh'har visibly wilted, making it apparent to Da'an that the presence of a new family member was not being considered a welcome event. As Quo'on bowed and headed off towards their home, he turned and took Eh'har's hand.
        <Why do you fear so much?> he communicated. <It is a time of joy for your family, despite the repercussions of Taaka's death. I am blessed to have Quo'on as my sibling and I assure you that such a relationship is most...worthwhile.>
        <You do not understand,> Eh'har responded. <My sibling's sub-parent is one whom I do not care for. He is most...self-absorbed and cares nothing for his fellow Taelons. I fear that my sibling may be much like him in temperment.>
        <How then did your parent come to join with him?> Da'an asked in confusion. That the Taelon in question could be more self-absorbed than Deh'r was troubling indeed!
        <He has a certain talent for influencing those around him...>
        <Well,> Da'an soothed. <It is unlikely that your sibling will take after his sub-parent if you are there to help guide his steps...>
        Eh'har tilted his head as his friend's thoughts sank in and finally smiled. "I thank you for bringing the situation into focus," he said, as their hands parted. "Come, let us greet my parent...and see if my new brother has become..."
        Together they moved off down the concourse.
 

 

 
        A weak and greatly reduced Deh'r stood before the head Xenologist with his eyes upon the floor. He was a full head shorter than he had been the day before and very thin.
        He knew that this would not be a pleasant meeting, but after all which he had just gone through, his attitude was one of complete uncaring. So long as he could continue his research...and he knew that the Synod would see to that, it did not matter what the general population believed.
        Taaka's body had been recovered by the caste. Examination revealed that it had died as a result of malnurishment and dehydration during its pregnancy. To make matters worse, there had been a second, dead offspring discovered within its womb.
        In short order, Deh'r was chastised and officially held responsible for the death of two sentient creatures.
        Before formal recommendation for his removal from his project could be made, Synod leader Sra'lal appeared in the room via datastream technology.
        "The Synod is aware of the events which have led to this unfortunate circumstance," he announced. "Although we do not approve of the senseless loss of sentient life, we are aware of the importance of Deh'r's research - research which the Synod itself sanctions. Therefore, Deh'r will be formally chastised throughout the commonality, but he shall maintain his caste rank and continue his research." The Synod's decision rendered, Sra'lal cut off the datastream and vanished.
        The startled Xenologist stared down at Deh'r, who finally raised his head.
        He was smiling most unpleasantly...
 
 
 
 
 
        With a bit of mental encouragement from his friend, Eh'har led the way into his abode. His grandparent was seated in a chair next to a table on which an energy beam had been trained.
        Eh'har's sibling was bathed within the beam, as it squirmed atop some cushioning.
        "Where is my parent?" the anxious Taelon asked, as he slowly approached the infant.
        "He has been summoned before Sra'lal," the elder Taelon responded. Taking a closer look at his grand-child, he quickly added, "He is not angered at you, only at himself."
        Da'an felt the relief which washed over his friend and watched in amusement as Eh'har asked permission to pick his sibling up.
        When his grandparent nodded affirmation, the elder sibling scooped up the child and holding it carefully, peered curiously at its face.
        "He is very large!" Da'an gasped in surprise. Never had he seen a new-formed that size!
        "What is his name?" Eh'har asked, as the infant cooed and grasped at him.
        "He is to be called Zo'or," the grandparent replied with some pride in his second grandchild.
        Moving to stand beside his friend, Da'an scrutinized the infant's face, finding it to be - as he feared he would - an exact duplicate of Eh'har's. He felt a shiver run down his pathways at the thought of four identical Taelons under one roof.
 

 

 
 
         By late the following morning, Deh'r had formally apologized to Da'an and the information had traveled quickly throughout the commonality. Da'an found himself enjoying an unexpected flurry of respectful acknowledgment with regard to the empathy he had shown the otharranna. Many commended him for having investigated and having tried to correct the injustice he had discovered.
        The problem was that he himself still felt that he had failed. Taaka had died and to make matters worse, it turned out that a second offspring had perished with her. If only he had known of it! He might perhaps have freed it from its parent...
        He looked down at the satchel which lay in his lap. Eh'har had given him Taaka's bag and the two tadarras found within, feeling that it would have pleased Taaka for him to have them.
        Eh'har himself was not doing well. He had formed a strong attachment with his young sibling only to have had his parent whisk it off to the community nursery where the local care giving caste had been instructed to move it to a habitation area far away.
        Da'an felt badly for his friend, although his own sub-parent's recounting of Zo'or's bizarre becoming and consciousness had led him to believe that perhaps Deh'r had done the correct thing. That the infant's will was strong enough to influence its parent before its actual becoming, was...frightening...
        Standing, he moved to the window of his chamber and gazed out over the habitation area. Today his parent was due to send back more observations of the human race and he was having trouble containing his excitement.
        How very much he missed Ma'el... He remembered so very little of the short time his parent had raised him, and yet his attachment to him was still very strong.
        What would he think about the recent events which had surrounded his offspring? How would he have reacted? Was Xe'em correct in his assessment that Ma'el would have done the same as he had done?
        How he yearned to hear that from Ma'el himself!
        Ma'el's package was not due to arrive until after midday. Perhaps he would visit with Taaka's offspring first...
 

 

 

        At the xenologist's otharranna enclosure, Da'an learned that another otharranna had accepted and nursed Taaka's offspring. The news had cheered him considerably. Now as he stood in the observation room and watched the young one being groomed by its new parent on the monitor, he could not help by smile.
        "Would you perhaps wish to enter the enclosure?" one of the xenologists asked.
        "It is allowed?"
        "Yes. And quite safe. The otharrannas are gentle creatures," the xenologist answered.
        "I would relish the opportunity," Da'an said, with a blink and a small smile.
        He was led to a doorway and ushered through into the actual compound. Staying near the parameter, he slowly worked his way over to the adoptive mother's location and stopped, content to simply watch her nurse the infant.
        It was with amazement that he saw her raise her muzzle and stared directly at him. He had the feeling that he was being judged and then she rose and slowly approached him.
        Watching her sure, graceful walk, Da'an became uncomfortably aware of just how ill Taaka must have been. She had never moved so effortlessly.
        The otharranna stopped before him and sniffed at his hands before suddenly sitting and holding the infant out to him.
        She was offering him the chance to hold it!
        Kneeling down slowly next to the large creature, Da'an accepted the infant, which immediately licked his face and settled down to sleep in his arms.
        Da'an sighed with pleasure at being so accepted.
 

 
 
        At precisely the prearranged time, the package arrived through the main portal at the Synod Complex. Those hundreds of Taelons in attendance emitted a flurry of satisfied emotion at the knowledge that Ma'el apparently still fared well.
        Da'an sat in the front row of the large theater-like room, as was his right as Ma'el's offspring. He had traveled via portal to be here and waited impatiently with the others who had gathered until the time arrived. Now he let out a self-satisfied smile and relaxed. Although curious as to what his parent had to report, he was more than happy enough to know that the humans apparently had not harmed him.
        Still, as Sra'lal opened the package, he felt himself tensing with anticipation...
        Reaching within the oval package, Sra'lal removed a data stream journal... and a memory sphere.
        Da'an was not prepared for his next move, which was to cross the space between them and hand the sphere to Da'an.
        This message was for him?
        At Sra'lal's nod, Da'an carefully cradled the sphere in his lap and nodded his acceptance of it. He felt those who surrounded him seething with curiosity and envy, some going so far as to encourage him to absorb the information now.
        He quickly denied them.
        This was a rare contact with his parent and he would share it with no one.
        With a small smile, Sra'lal mentally communicated his support of Da'an's decision and returned to stand beside the room's portal.
        "The Synod shall study Ma'el's journal and issue their information tomorrow morning," he announced. "This gathering is now concluded."
        Everyone stood and began shuffling from the room.
        Da'an remained seated, trembling slightly as he stroked the sphere's smooth surface. What would he learn upon activating it?
        When the room had cleared, he rose and made his way out. He was headed for the public portals, home and a long-distance meeting with his parent's mind....
 
 
 
        Da'an waited until nightfall before settling himself upon the floor coverings in his chamber. He had set the memory sphere upon a cushion and lit five flame keepers, which he arranged artistically around him. The virtual glass to his window had been programed to allow in the rapidly cooling nighttime air and the breeze stirred the flames in an appealing manner.
        Crossing his legs and resting his outspread arms upon his knees, he calmed himself and entered the meditative trance which would allow him to activate the sphere.
        Finally ready, he reached forward and delicately grasped the sphere with the fingertips of both hands.
        <Da'an,> his parent's thoughts, so like his own, addressed him. < How my thoughts have turned to you of late! I have been faced with some very difficult decisions concerning my purpose in being on this planet and I have reached certain conclusions which I know the Synod will not be pleased to hear. I have therefore decided to withhold an important portion of my research from them, as they would most likely not only disregard my conclusions, but recall me in favor of sending a less sympathetic scientist to study the human species.>
     <My studies of the human species has taken an unexpected turn, one which I know that you alone are ready to hear...>

        A short time later, the sphere rolled out of Da'an's suddenly clumsy fingers. Retrieving it with shaking hands, he placed it back on the cushion.
        He spent the rest of the night staring at it and trying to calm his inner turmoil.
        By morning he knew what he must do...
 

 

 
        Da'an entered the main headquarters of the Diplomatic caste in the early morning of the following day carrying nothing but Taaka's satchel. In it were the tadarras the creature had given its life to obtain... and the memory sphere sent to him by his own parent.
        Approaching the main arched entrance reserved for those who were members of the caste, he entered.
        He had found his calling. He knew his purpose. He alone knew what was at stake when the Taelons finally contacted the Humans.
        He had to be aboard the planned mission to Earth. He had to gather a base of power about himself...
        He must not fail!
        "Da'an!" came a voice from the entranceway behind him.
        Turning, he was amazed to see both Quo'on and Eh'har  approaching. He stared at them in confusion.
        "Does Xe'em send you with a message for me?" he asked. Although he had already taken leave of his sub-parent, he supposed that something crucial might have been missed during their last conversation...
        "Eh'har and I have decided to make our choice this day as well," Quo'on explained. "You know that I was leaning towards the diplomatic field. Your sudden decision has simply caused me to put off delaying the inevitable."
        "And you, Eh'har?" Da'an asked. "You were never interested in this field..."
        "I have lost all interest in the sciences," Eh'har declared. "You yourself have suddenly turned away from the same field...." moving closer, he placed a hand on Da'an's shoulder. <Did you not believe that I was capable of wishing to change the future as well?> he thought privately to his friend. <When Taelon meets Human, there should be those there who remember Taaka's fate and work at preventing a reaccurance...>
        With a sigh, Da'an glowed a brilliant blue.
        He was beginning to believe that he had a real chance at success in his personal quest. So long as there were those he could rely upon, was not anything possible?
        Together, the three moved off down the hall and toward their rendezvous with the future.
 
 
FIN