DISCLAIMER:  Earth:  Final Conflict and all of Earth:  Final characters in this story are property of Tribune Entertainment.  No infringement of rights is intended. Danella and Ronnie are creations or my own.  Please don't use them without my permission.
AUTHOR'S NOTE: Sandoval searches for the truth about Ronnie and finds out a lot more than he bargained for.  All words in ** are thoughts and all words in [] are telepathic communication.
RATING:  PG

A FATHER'S QUEST

Agent Sandoval was trying desperately to curb the anger he was feeling toward Zo'or.  He had known that he would hear it for letting Danella and Ronnie escape, but three hours of it was a little extreme.  The Taelon was finally showing sighs that he was going to calm down, but Sandoval knew that calmness wouldn't last once he asked his question.
"Do you have anything else to say, Agent Sandoval?"  Zo'or asked.
Sandoval's voice was soft and infuriatingly calm when he spoke, "Why didn't you tell me?"
For a moment Zo'or was silent and looked at Sandoval with hate filled eyes, "You are my servant.  I tell you what I feel you need to know and that is it.  If you have a problem with that, maybe you should consider another line of work."
Agent Sandoval winced at the unspoken threat and decided that it would be unwise to continue to push the subject today.  When Zo'or dismissed him a few minutes later, he quickly left the room and realized that he would probably have to live in his office the next few days to keep Zo'or from killing him.

A few hours later, Agent Sandoval was thinking about quitting for the day when his global went off.  At first he considered not answering it because he really didn't want to talk to Zo'or.  Of course, ignoring the Taelon would only make things worse, so he ended up answering the call.  He was surprised to see that it was Da'an.   The Taelon asked him to report to his office and then signed off.  For a moment, Sandoval looked at the global in surprise.  He couldn't figure out why Da'an would want to talk to him.  It's not like he worked for him any more....

Agent Sandoval entered Da'an's office and was even further surprised when he saw that Major Kincaid was also there.
"What did you need, Da'an?"  Ronald asked making it a point to ignore the Major.
"Actually, it was Major Kincaid that wanted to speak with you, but I knew that you would most likely brush him off until the morning so I asked you to come here," Da'an stated.
Sandoval glared at Kincaid.  After the day he had had, the last thing he needed was to have to listen to him.  Still, if Da'an had felt it so important that he had intervened, then the least he could do was listen.
"Well, what is it Major?"  Sandoval asked when Kincaid remained still.
Kincaid pulled out a letter and handed it to Ronald.  Sandoval looked questioningly at the Major for a minute and then he looked at the letter.  His heart froze when he saw what the simple address said:  FOR MY DADDY......

When Ronald Sandoval finally opened the letter, his hands were shaking.   He slowly unfolded the letter and then read it, completely forgetting that Da'an and Major Kincaid were watching him...

Daddy,
I know we didn't have much time together, but even so, I think of you every day.   There is so much I want to say to you.  I'm sure you feel the same.  Dani and I are safe right now.  Unfortunately, safe means away from you and all of the things that you could tell me.  There is so much I want to know about the world, so much only a father could tell me.
There are nights when I sit up and stare out the window and just let my mind drift.   The sky has always been soothing to me, just as it was to you.  Do you take the time to look, just stare, at the sky anymore?  It is so beautiful, and it always reminds me that even though there are things out there that are bigger than you and bigger than me, we still both see them and share it no matter how small we are.
Dad we may be miles away from each other, but we still have the sky and the connection it provides to everyone.  Don't ever forget me.  We will meet again.
With all my love-your son,
Ronnie

For a long time, Sandoval just stood there and held the letter in his hands.   Tears threatened, but he managed to keep them at bay.  A small sound drew him back to himself and he looked up at Major Kincaid.  The look on his face suddenly hardened and he asked.
"Where did you get this?"


Liam stared at his father and watched him become angrier with each moment of silence that passed.  Liam had had a story all ready to tell him, but suddenly he didn't feel like lying anymore.  Seeing the look on Sandoval's face as he read Ronnie's letter had made Liam want to just tell him everything.  Ronnie had said that he knew that the Taelons no longer controlled their father, but Liam was still wary.   So much rode on his decision.  So much responsibility-none of which he had asked for.
Liam glanced at Da'an and the Taelon gave him a look of encouragement.  Sandoval was about to ask again where he had gotten the letter when Liam finally spoke.
"Ronnie gave it to me.  I know where they are at and that they are safe," Liam stated.
"And how do you know that?"  The look on Sandoval's face went from angry to suspicious.  It had been rumored that Danella and Ronnie were now with the Resistance.  If Kincaid knew where they were, then he too had to have some connections to the Resistance.  "Why did you help them escape instead of doing your job and turning them in?"  Sandoval continued.  "I think Zo'or would be very interested to find out that you weren't doing your job."
Liam sighed.  He should have expected something like that, but hearing it still hurt.   He would have gotten angry, but didn't because of the look he saw deep in his father's eyes.  Suddenly Liam understood that Sandoval either knew or at least suspected that Liam was working for the Resistance and was only keeping up appearances because Da'an was there.
"Da'an knows everything," Liam stated lowly.  "He helped me."
Sandoval's eyes opened in shock and then he turned to Da'an, "You knew he was a part of the Resistance."
Da'an nodded.
Sandoval looked back at Liam; "I was right to suspect you.  How long have you been with the Resistance, and why is the Resistance so interested in Ronnie and Danella?"
"I have been with the Resistance for less than a year, but I hold a high position none the less," Liam stated.  "Let's say that I am interested in them for very selfish reasons."
"And those would be?" Sandoval asked.
Liam looked Sandoval right in the eyes, "Well for one thing, Ronnie is my brother..."

Liam was shocked to find himself lying on the floor staring up at Sandoval's angry skrill.  The words 'Ronnie is my brother' had barely left his mouth when his father had charged him.  A quick glance at Da'an showed that the Taelon was as shocked about Sandoval's actions as his protector was.
"I don't know what kind of game you are playing, Major," Sandoval hissed at him in a low voice, "but I suggest you stop.  It is impossible for Ronnie to have any siblings, let alone for you to be one."
"Please, Sandoval, Let me explain..." Liam started.
Sandoval looked down at the Major for a moment and then stated, "I'm listening."
Liam started to tell Sandoval about himself and who he really was, but he could tell from the stony look on his father's face, that he was having a hard time believing any of it.   When Liam finally finished speaking, he looked at his father and waited for judgement.  When it came, it wasn't anything near what he expected.
The hiss of skrill was the only warning that Liam had that Sandoval was actually going to fire.  He quickly raised his hands so that his shakarava would deflect the blast-a blast that never came.
After a few moments, Liam hands stopped glowing and he lowered them.  He looked at Sandoval who was now, of all things smiling.
"We have a lot to talk about son."
Liam nodded, "But first I know a young man who wants to get to know you better."
Sandoval gently touched his son's shoulder and looked into his eyes, "Actually, I know two..."

THE END