DISCLAIMER:  Earth:  Final Conflict and all of Earth:  Final characters in this story are property of Tribune Entertainment.  No infringement of rights is intended.  Agent Dani Long, Troy Long, and Te'el are creations of my own.   Please do not use them without asking my permission first.
AUTHOR'S NOTE:  This takes place after my story "Mind Games."  What happens when Sandoval's CVI breaks down again, and it must be replaced without Zo'or's knowledge?  All words in brackets [ ] are psychic communication.  Words in < > are thoughts.

SPECIAL THANKS TO:  Scott Williams for helping me edit this story.

RATING:  PG

FOLLOW ME HOME
By Roguemoon

Dani watched as Agent Sandoval walked to his wife's grave and laid the roses that he was carrying on it.  She pulled her coat tighter around her, hoping to shut out some of the rain that was falling, and waited.  Dani knew it was wrong to be jealous, but she still couldn't stop herself.  Every month since Ronald had found out that Deedee had died, he had visited.  She knew that he was still healing, but Dani wondered if maybe something was wrong-something besides the obvious.  Dani was concerned that he wasn't moving on as she had once thought he was.  Lately, he had become even more silent and secretive to everyone-even her and as his second in command, that was something that shouldn't happen.  Not if Meridian was going to be able to continue in its mission. 
<…And it's not like I haven't tried to talk to him about it.  He just won't talk, and I won't intrude on his thoughts.  God, sometimes it's hard to be a telepath!  I want to help, but I can't.  Liam is worried too, but Sandy won't talk to him either.  He just says it's nothing.  Nothing, my foot.>   Dani shivered as the rain fell harder and she continued to watch the man she loved.   She knew he still loved Deedee, but she knew he also felt for her.  Dani sighed.  It wasn't fair that his life had been ripped to shreds as it had, but that couldn't be changed.  She just hoped he would be able to come through this dark period without being hurt too much….

Ronald gently touched the top of Deedee's headstone.  For a moment he felt the old pain just like the day that he first found out about her real death.  He wanted to scream, but the feeling passed.  He should be grateful that he had Dani, but for some reason her presence wasn't enough anymore.  His recent dreams about Deedee weren't helping.  It was like his past was trying to get even with him.  If he wasn't dreaming about Deedee, he was dreaming about the part he had in Kate Boone's murder.   Seeing the Commander almost everyday wasn't helping either.  Boone, Augur, and Liam were slowly tracking down the members of the Resistance that had survived the raid.   Unfortunately, they were scattered all over the world.  Because of that, Boone was constantly in Meridian Headquarters communicating with them.  It wasn't that Ronald minded, he just didn't need the reminder about what he'd done to Kate. 
Ronald crouched by the grave and let his hand rest on the top of the stone…<I'm scared Dee.  Things are getting out of control and I don't know what to do.  I feel so out of control.  I'm afraid I may be losing it and that scares me to death.   So many people count on me.>  Ronald shut his eyes, refusing to let himself even think about crying. < Is this my punishment Dee?  For all the pain I've caused?  I guess I deserve it, but I'm trying to help now.  Doesn't that mean anything?>  Ronald noticed the rain become harder and glance toward where Agent Long was standing.  He could see her shivering and his heart ached.  He shouldn't have let her come.  Still, it made him feel good to have her there.
Sandoval started to get up.  As he did, the world started to spin and a sharp pain went through his head.  He stumbled and went to his knees.  <No, not now.   Please, not now.>
"Sandy!"  Dani yelled as she ran to him. 
As she reached him, Ronald let himself sink completely to the ground.
"Sandy what is it?"  Dani tried to remain calm even though she could see blood running from his ear.
"Not now," he whispered.
"Sandy?"  Dani's voice was tight with fear.  Then she realized what was happening.  "Oh God, it's your CVI isn't it?"
He nodded, fighting the vertigo that was threatening to overwhelm him.
"Do you think you can walk?"  She asked, praying for a miracle.
He started to reply no, but another wave of pain washed over him and this time he couldn't fight slipping into the darkness of unconsciousness.
When he went limp, Dani froze.  A quick check told her that he was still alive, but she knew she had to act fast if he was going to stay that way.  She pulled out her global and shakily dialed Liam…

"So what do we do now?"  Boone asked Liam as they watched Dani sit by Sandoval's side.  Ronald was still unconscious, and looked to stay that way, but she refused to leave.
Liam shook his head, "You where there when he crashed before.  How long do we have?"
Boone shrugged, "This is different from last time because he's going down hill a lot faster.  I don't know if it's because we altered the CVI or just because this is the second CVI he's lost.  At this rate, I'd say you have about 24 hours."
"Great!"  Liam's voice was tight.  "How the hell am I going to get a CVI that fast without letting Zo'or know?"
Boone touched Liam's shoulder, "Easy kid, you'll find a way.  You always do, and I doubt you are going to let you father down."
Liam just sighed.
" I know you can do it.  I believe in you and," Boone turned and pointed to the room where Sandoval and Dani were, "so do they.  I wish I could help, but they can't…"
"I know,"  Liam cut him off.  "Go and get Augur and Belman.   I have a feeling we'll need them both."
Boone nodded and left the room.
As he did, Liam turned back to Dani and his father.  She was holding Sandoval's hand tightly and talking to him.  After a moment, he shut his eyes and hoped he wasn't about to let them both down.
Dani was scared.  She didn't need Boone or any doctor to tell her that Ronald wasn't doing well.  She could sense it loud and clear from his mind.  It was full of confusion, fear, pain, and-what scared her the most, a strong need to have all of it end permanently.  Dani had tried to telepathically calm him, but he, in his confusion, had pushed her out.  So now she was just talking to him, hoping that her voice would calm him down.
"I don't know if you can hear me, but you need to stay strong a while longer, okay?"  She shakily brushed the hair from his forehead.  "You know Meridian needs you.  Liam needs you and so do I.  You've worked too hard to get here to let a damn piece of Taelon technology take you out now.  Come on Sandy, fight!"
Dani held her breath a moment when she thought he stirred, but realized that it was only her imagination.  She sighed and shook her head.  She hated feeling helpless, but the only people who could do anything now were already doing it.  Liam was getting the CVI-she hoped-and Boone was getting Dr. Belman and whatever equipment she needed.
Dani shifted slightly and then looked back down at Ronald.  She wasn't quit sure when she had fallen in love with him…
<…but I did.  Even though I was ready to hate him, I fell in love.  I was so angry when I was told I was suppose to give up everything and prepare to go deep under for a 'long' time.  The Bureau said I should have been honored to be picked by one of their best to be in on this.  Agg, the only reason I came was because of what the Taelons did to my brother.  Troy never deserved to be an experiment.  He was only protecting me…
So I went and here I am second in command of Meridian, one of the FBI's last ditch efforts to avert the war that is threatening because of Zo'or's treatment of humanity.  Fifty of the best agents assigned to a former agent and current Taelon Companion. When I walked in I was ready to write him off.  Then I touched him and my psis latched on to his feelings.  Wow, the pain and hatred I felt were so intense.  If I were Zo'or, and I knew that my protector hated me that much, I'd be running for the hills.  Of course, Sandy's as good an actor as he is an agent.  We work together so well-like two pieces of the same mind, as he always says.  I wanted to hate him, but couldn't anymore than I could hate Troy for giving his life to keep my psi abilities a secret.   He should have listened to me and not followed, but…>
Dani sighed, <blaming Troy for following his brotherly instincts won't bring him back, and me getting upset over old memories won't help Sandy either. >  She shut her eyes a moment in an attempt to clear her head. Her eyes flashed back open when a soft voice said her name.
"You're awake," she smiled.
Ronald smiled slightly and whispered, "For now."
Dani squeezed his hand, "Relax.   Liam's gone to get a replacement CVI, and Boone is getting Dr. Belman."
For a moment a look of fear crossed his face, then it was gone, replaced by his usual look of determination.  "I won't go back to that.  I won't be a slave again."
"You won't," Dani gently touched his face.  "We, I, won't allow it."
Sandoval nodded and let his eyes fall shut, "You know what to do."
Because his eyes were closed, Ronald didn't see the pain cross her face.  He could hear it in her voice, though.
"Yes, I know." She whispered.
He squeezed her hand, "It'll be okay…"
When his voice trailed off into unconsciousness, Dani almost ran from the room sobbing, but she couldn't leave him alone.  She knew their time was severely limited.   So, instead of leaving, Dani gently laid her head on his chest and let the tears flow as she thought about the fact, should they not be able to get an altered CVI in time, she would have to let the man she loved die.

Liam sat at his desk thinking.  He still had no idea how he was going to get the CVI, and he knew he was running out of time.  He had considered just going in and stealing one, but he knew that it would be very hard to cover the theft up.  Still, as he continued to draw a blank as to what to do, that option was becoming more and more attractive.
A sudden knock at his office door startled Liam out of his thoughts.  At first he was afraid that Zo'or had noticed Sandoval wasn't around and wanted to know where he was.   Of course, Liam realized, Zo'or wouldn't actually come to his office, he would have just buzzed him via his global. 
Liam opened the door and was surprised to see Te'el standing there.
Liam motioned the Taelon in and shut the door, "Is there something wrong Te'el?"
"I was suppose to meet with Agent Sandoval this afternoon, but he did not show and he is not answering his global.  Do you know where he is at Major Kincaid?  This is very unlike him, and I am concerned," Te'el answered.
Liam looked surprised.  As far as he knew, Sandoval's schedule had been clear today.   That meant that this meeting with Te'el had been a secret one. 
<Interesting,> Liam thought.  <What where you two going to talk about?>
Te'el looked at Liam when the Major remained silent.  "Does that mean that you do not know where he is at?"
Liam was stuck.  He didn't want to lie to Te'el-the Taelon reminded him too much of Da'an, but he was leery of telling him the truth.  None of them knew if Te'el was actually on their side or if he was just playing with them.
"I'm afraid..," Liam started nervously, but stopped when Te'el held up his hand.
"Do not lie to me, Major.  It is his CVI, is it not?  It has become inoperative again," Te'el stated.
Liam opened his eyes in surprise and nodded.
Te'el turned toward the window of Liam's office, "I have been waiting for this moment.  You realize that Zo'or has no intention of having Agent Sandoval re-implanted."
Liam shook his head.  They had been afraid of that.
"So, I'm suppose to let him die?"  Liam asked tensely.
Te'el turned back to Liam and looked him in the eye, "I did not say that, did I?   I feel that Agent Sandoval is doing a good job.  Therefore, I have talked to the Synod, and they have transferred his services over to me completely.   Unfortunately, that means that you will have to work under Zo'or.  I believed that it was something you would be willing to do if it meant saving your fellow Agent's life.  Was I wrong?"
He shuddered internally.  Liam could almost swear that Te'el knew that he would do anything to keep his father alive…<but that's impossible.  He can't know that Sandoval is my father, can he?>
Te'el's voice cut into his thoughts.  "Was I wrong in my assumption, Major Kincaid?"
Liam shook himself out of his reverie, "No Te'el.  You were right.  Did Zo'or accept this decision?"
"He had no choice since the Synod did.  I was going to inform Agent Sandoval of the change in his status this afternoon, but he did not show up.  May I assume that you have him some place?"  Te'el asked.
"Yes," Liam replied.
Te'el paused a moment and then whispered, "How is he?"
Liam was surprised at the concern in Te'el's voice.  Did the Taelon actually care for his father as Da'an had cared for him?
"He's not doing well, Te'el.  We estimate that he has less than 24 hours if I don't get a CVI,"  Liam answered.
Te'el nodded and then handed Liam the box had been carrying when he had entered the room,   "I believe that you will find all that you need in this.  I wish you well Major Kincaid.  Please bring my attaché back to me in one piece."
Liam took the box and just looked at it for a moment.  He couldn't believe the answer to his problems had just fallen into his hands.
"Thank, thank you, Te'el," he stuttered, not quite sure what to say.
The Taelon nodded, "Just remember my request and good luck working with Zo'or.   I am afraid that you will need it."
Liam watched, speechless, as Te'el left the room.  Just how much did the Taelon know about Sandoval and himself?  Liam thought for a minute, but then shook himself out of it.  He'd figure it out later.  Right now he had to get the CVI back to his father and hope that Boone had had as good a luck getting Dr. Belman back as he had had getting the CVI.

Dani didn't realize  that she had fallen asleep until a hand on her shoulder woke her up.  She looked back and saw Boone standing there.  Behind him stood Augur and Dr.  Belman. 
"You're back," She said tiredly.
Boone nodded as she stood up, "Any word from Liam?"
Dani shook her head, "We're running out of time."
"He'll pull it off, don't give up on him yet,"  Belman walked over to Ronald's side.  "Has he woke up?"
"Once, but only for a few minutes," Dani wrapped her arms around herself.   "That's bad, isn't it?"
Belman began to check him over, "Would have been worse if he hadn't at all."   She looked up as Dani and then added, "You look almost as bad as he does.   Have you eaten anything?"
Dani replied negatively.
Dr. Belman shook her head and then turned to Augur, "Get her out of here and get her something to eat."  Juliana then turned to Dani, "Go with him.  I'll send Will after you when I'm done or if anything changes."
Dani wanted to stay, but, when Augur put an arm around her to lead her out, she realized that she didn't have the strength to argue.  She let Augur lead her to the kitchen area and watched as he began to fix her some food.
"He's too stubborn to die like this, you know,"  Augur said after a silence that had lasted several minutes.  "He can make a mule looking willing."   When he got no answer to his joke,  Augur turned to look at Dani and noticed that she was crying.  He quickly shut off the stove and sat down next to her, taking her hands.  "He'll be okay."
Dani shook her head, " You all say that, but you can't see his mind.  Part of him wants to die.  Part of him wants to leave the pain and be with her again."
"Her?" Augur asked, confused.
Dani pulled her hands away and stood up, turning away from him.
"Deedee," she whispered as if it were a curse.
For a moment, Augur was silent.  He didn't know how to reply.  Computers were his thing, not humans and all the messy emotions that came with them.  He was about to say something when she cut him off.
"I love him," she whispered.  "I was so jealous when we found out that Deedee was still alive.  Of course, I wanted him to be happy and he was so thrilled to find her alive...  I knew it was wrong, but the selfish part of me was happy when she turned up dead for real.  Of course, I cursed her for the pain it caused him.   I shouldn't have, but I couldn't help it.  Each time I remembered the long nights I spent up comforting him…  If I lose him to her now…"
Augur gently touched her shoulder and was surprised when Dani turned around and buried her head against his shoulder.
"I can't lose him now, Augur.  I don't know what I'd do," she cried.
Augur gently touched her head and looked for the right thing to say.  He was spared the need to answer went her global went off.
Dani quickly moved away from him and wiped her eyes before answering.  It was Liam.
"I've got the CVI and am on my way.  Is everything okay?"  He asked when he saw her tear-stained face.
Dani tried to smile, "As well as can be expected."
Liam nodded, "I'll be there in about 5 minutes."
Dani nodded and Liam signed off.  She was about to speak, when Boone entered the room.
"You'd better come quickly; Sandoval's crashing!"
Dani froze.  Those were the words she had been afraid of hearing since this whole thing had started.
<No, not now,> she thought as they ran from the room.  <Not when we are so close.  Please, Lord, help him hold on…>
Ronald didn't know what was exactly going on.  He knew he wasn't asleep, yet he seemed to be standing on some kind of fantasy plane.  It actually kind of fit the description of the Astral Plane Dani had given him, but…<That's impossible.   I'm not a telepath.  What's going on?>
"Ronald," a soft voice said behind him and he turned around.
"Dee?"  His voice was full of surprise.
She smiled softly, "Yes."
"But…" he started.
"You're dying my love," Deedee answered his unspoken question.
" Dying?"  He looked around. "Is this..?"
Deedee smiled softly again and shook her head. "This is the Astral Plane.  Your mind pulled you here for some reason.  I'm here to lead you home."
Ronald shook his head, confused.  "How?  I'm not a telepath?"
Deedee started to answer, but stopped.
"What is it?"  He asked when the look on her face changed.
When Deedee didn't answer, he turned around.  Dani was walking toward him.
"Dani, what's going on?"  He asked.
Dani stared angrily at Deedee for a moment, and then looked at Ronald.  Her look softened as she spoke to him, " I've got to say this is a bit of a surprise for me as well.  At times I suspected that you were a psi, but I didn't think you were this strong of one."
"What?"  Ronald's confusion deepened and he got angry.  "This is crazy!  What's going on?"
Dani tried not to let his anger affect her, "You're mind has created a copy of your wife.  That isn't Deedee you are talking to.  It's just your uncontrolled psis reacting to your subconscious wish to be with her."
"Dani, I'm not a psi.  I would have known by now," Sandoval replied.
"Your powers have been mostly dormant until this point.  Either the CVI or some event from your past could be the cause of the suppression of your abilities, but we will probably never know for sure.  I'm almost willing to bet, though, that it wasn't Belman's alterations on the CVI that caused it to deteriorate-it was your psi abilities," Dani explained.
Ronald shook  his head, "It doesn't matter.  I won't go back to being…"
"You don't have to!  For some reason Te'el gave Liam a fully modified CVI.   It has no MI, and Belman even thinks that somehow it's been changed so that it won't break down over time.  We are ready to implant it, but you have to be stabilized first.  Please, come back with me," Dani begged.
For a minute he just looked at her and then he turned back to his wife, "Dee?"
"Don't you want to be with me, Ronald?"  Her face saddened.   "Have you forgotten our love?"
"Sandy, please, she isn't real," Dani stated.
"I'm as real as our love, Ronnie," Deedee replied.  "Will you abandon me again?"
Sandoval shut his eyes and stiffened.  His feelings of guilt were almost overwhelming him.  He wondered if he deserved to die.
"Of course you do.  I'm the one who never deserved to die," Ronald whirled around when Kate Boone's voice filled the air.
"I'm, I'm sorry.  I was just doing…" His voice caught as tears he couldn't control entered his eyes.
"Sorry doesn't give me my life or husband back!  You took him from me twice.   You couldn't leave him dead, could you?"  She said angrily.
"Sandy," Ronald jumped when Dani touched his arm.  When had she gotten so close?
He looked at her through teary eyes, "What?"
She looked back at him, letting all of her love show through her eyes.  The gentle glow warmed him as he thought nothing ever could have.
"I love you.  Nothing, not your past or present or whatever happens in the future will change that.  They," she pointed to Deedee and Kate, "are the past, Sandy, but they are trying to become your future.  Don't let your guilt take away all that you have worked so hard to create."
"My guilt?"  He asked.
"Do you remember when Siobhan died?  Liam said she mentioned something about him defending her at a trial.  I'm guessing that when her CVI crashed, she put herself on trail for the things she felt she had done wrong.  You're doing the same thing only it's so much more real for you because you are an untrained psi.  Sandy, she found herself guilty and died.  If you do the same, you'll die too.  Please, listen to me.  She didn't give herself a chance to change things-make right the wrongs she felt she'd done.  You can!  You are; you just need to give yourself more time."
Ronald looked at her.  Could she be right?  It made sense, but…
"So that's it, Ronald?"  Deedee spoke up.  "You betray me again?"
"Why shouldn't he?  He's betrayed everyone else," Kate added.
Ronald shut his eyes again and Dani saw him shudder.  They were running out of time.   She was about to speak again when Ronald turned to face Deedee.
He sadly shook his head, "Now I know you aren't my wife.  She would want me happy, and she would never accuse me of betraying her.  She forgave me, I just never forgave myself.  Well, now I am.  I'm sorry that I let things come between us.   I had no control, but that is no excuse.  I just hope what I'm doing now will be enough to make things all right between us when we really meet again."
Deedee's face softened and she smiled, "Thank you, Ronnie.  You have needed to hear yourself say that for a while.  Good bye, my love.  Until we meet in a better place."
Ronald watched as she smiled one last time and then disappeared.
"That sappy crap won't work with me," Kate stated.
Ronald turned and smiled sadly at her.  "I don't expect it to.  I don't know what to say to you.  What I did was wrong.  Nothing will ever change that.   As for William, I am doing my best to do right by him.  From what I understand, he returned by his own choice.  Dani couldn't have brought him back if he hadn't been willing to come back.  Give me time, Kate.  I'll do what I can to make things better."
"All the time in the world won't give me my life back," she stated.
"No, but William has never forgotten you or his love for you.  In that way you will always live on,"  Ronald replied.
Kate sighed, "That'll have to be enough won't it?"
"I'm sorry I can't do more.  Maybe I'm just not quite ready to completely forgive myself, but I won't let my guilt stop me from trying," he stated.
She nodded, "Good luck, Agent Sandoval.  Please tell Will I love him."
Ronald nodded and Kate vanished just as Deedee had.  He then turned to Dani.
She smiled, "Are you ready to go home?"

    "You just love being dramatic, don't you?"  William Boone sarcastically asked Agent Sandoval a few weeks later.
Sandoval smiled and sat back in his chair.  The two men were listening to a report about a bombing that had just destroyed a Taelon research facility.  The bombing was, of course, a Meridian operation.
"If you are going to do something, do it big," he replied.
Boone shook his head.  Ever since his near death and discovery of his psi abilities, Sandoval had become almost a different person.
<…Or maybe he's just discovering who he really is again.  Dani said that he had faced his guilt and come to terms with it-most of it anyway.  She mentioned he still hasn't forgiven himself completely for Kate's death, but that's why I'm here.   I just don't know how to…>
"Lets not talk about it now, Commander," Sandoval said.
"How'd…?"  Will started.
Sandoval smiled, "I have to apologize.  I still haven't gotten the use of my psis down to an art yet.  I'm just glad that Dani's shielding can keep my abilities hidden from the Taelons until I can completely control them.  You have been broadcasting your intentions ever since you entered the room."
Will nodded.  He wasn't surprised at all that Sandoval had picked up on his thoughts.   He had been pretty focused on them.
"Did she say anything else?"  Boone asked.
Sandoval picked up his jacket and stood up, " No, just tell him I love him.   Would it really have mattered anyway?  She was only a piece of my imagination."
Will shut his eyes, "I guess not, but…"
Sandoval cautiously touched Boone's shoulder, "I know.  That's how I felt when I saw Deedee.  Perhaps we could discuss it later-after my meeting with Te'el."
After a minute, Will nodded, "Yes, I would like that."
"Good, I have to go.  We still aren't sure why Te'el helped us.  I'm going to try and see what I can get out of him this afternoon,"  Sandoval replied.
Will smiled, "Good luck.  If he is as much like Da'an as Liam says he is, you will need it." 
Later that night as Agent Sandoval crouched by his wife's grave, he thought about how all this had started…and ended.  The things Te'el had told him were still running over and over in his mind.  The implications were….well, they weren't exactly good.  If what the Taelon had told him could be believed, humanity was in more trouble from a source that was already on Earth than they could ever be from the Jaridians.
<Well, Deedee, I got my wish.  I'm here and I have the information I need to change things.  I just hope that I can use it in time to save Humanity from the fate that other species have suffered>…Sandoval looked down at his arm as his skrill let out a hiss of agreement.  He gently touched Raven's back and the hiss changed to a purr.  He didn't know if it was the new CVI or his psi abilities, but suddenly he was a lot more aware of Raven's thoughts and wishes.  The skrill itself was also a lot more compliant to his thoughts and wishes.
<And right now, he is agreeing with me.  I'm not sure what that means, but the support is appreciated. > Ronald pulled out his watch, looked at it, and then stood up, giving his wife's headstone one more gentle touch.
<I've forgiven myself for what I did to you, Dee. > He thought.  <Now help me forgive myself for what I did to William and Kate.  I hope tonight will bring this chapter in our lives to a close.  I have a feeling that he, Liam, and I will have to trust each other completely if we are going to survive what is coming next…>

NOT THE END…



Please send any comments, suggestions, etc to Roguemoon at roguemoon4@yahoo.com