DISCLAIMER:  Earth:  Final Conflict and all of Earth:  Final characters in this story are property of Tribune Entertainment.  No infringement of rights is intended. Jaden, Laura, Jackie, and Jenkins are creations of my own.  Please don’t use them without my permission.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Ronald Sandoval finally finds his son, but the finding turns out only to be half the battle.  Words in * * are thoughts and words in [ ] are a letter.

 

RATING:  PG

 

 

 

 

 

MIRROR IMAGES

(AKA: THE FORGOTTEN)

By: Roguemoon

 

“Sweet Melissa I often pray for you.

I hope your suffering was brief.

I hope the angels that watch over all the little children,

Came for you,

And took you somewheres beautiful and sweet...

Suffer the little children...

 

Be Daddy’s good girl,

And don’t tell Mommy a thing.

Be a good little boy,

And you’ll get a new toy.

Tell Grandma you fell off the swing...”

Pat Benatar—Suffer the Little Children/He** is For Children (Live Version)

 

 

Ronald Sandoval leaned his head against the steering wheel of his car and just sat there for a moment.  No one would ever know how grateful he was that Zo’or’s schedule had been empty from this afternoon until tomorrow afternoon.  They would never know, because he would never tell.  Of course, his disappearance from the Mothership would speak volumes in and of itself, but he didn't care.  He needed the break.  It had never been that hard going and going while he had an operational MI—it would push him past exhaustion and wouldn't allow him to care.  Now, now, he felt every bit of the exhaustion and burn out pushing down on him—so much so he sometimes wondered if he should even keep trying.

            Slowly he got out of the car and walked into his apartment building.  The clerk at the desk gave him a surprised look.  After all, he hardly ever came there.  That in combination with his pale, exhausted appearance, probably spelled trouble in the young clerk’s book, but Sandoval could care less.  He was too tired to noticed trouble if it had hit him in the face.

            His apartment was like it always was.  Dusty, silent, and empty.  It was the way he had liked things when he had set it up.  Professional, organized, and so sterile that now that he no longer had an MI, he hated it.  Even though he technically lived there, it was more like no one did. 

            He sighed and dropped into one of the chairs in the living room.  It was then that he noticed that there was an envelope lying on the floor in front of the door.  For a moment, he really didn’t care what it was because it was most likely just something he had dropped on his way into the apartment or something he had knocked off the desk beside the door.  He wanted to believe that, but something inside of him wouldn’t and so he stood and picked the envelope up.  When he turned it over his heart froze mid beat.  The front of the envelope had one word on it.  Father.

 

 

[ Dear Father,

 

            My name is Jaden Paul Lynn.  At this point of course, that name means little to you, but it makes me feel better that you know it.  I, of course, know you.  Anyone who knows anything about the Taelons knows you, but I like to think the bond of blood between us lets me know you better than they do.

            You are probably wondering how I can be who I claim to be.  It is a simple story—one you will most likely remember yourself once I begin it.  You met my mother in high school.  Her name was Jackie Lynn.  Do you remember now?  For two years you two dated and loved each other.  She hoped one day that you and she would marry, but that was not to happen.  After graduation she wished to stay at home and continue working at her day care position and take community college courses to get her degree.  You on the other hand, had a full scholarship to Harvard and because she would not hear of you giving that up, you went your separate ways.  The night before you left, you two had a private going away party as to give each other something to remember the other by.  That something ended up being more than either of you had planned on.

            No, I know you never knew.  You sounded so happy in the letters you sent her that she never dared tell you.  Eventually the letters stopped, but it didn’t matter so much because she was so busy with classes, day care, and me that she had little time to think about what might have been.

            Two happy years passed then.  Now that I look back on it, I wish things could have always been that way.  It is ironic that I can remember so little of that happy time because I was so young, but I can remember so much after that, that I want to forget.

            Mom met Ricky Jenkins shortly after my second birthday.  They fell in love and got married.  Does that make you sad—thinking of me calling another man father?  It shouldn’t for you will never hear me call him dad or father.  He does not deserve that title.

            For a few months things were fairly normal, and then Jenkins was transferred and we had to follow—moving a long way from the safety of home.  Once we were settled in, things changed.  Jenkins and Mom began fighting a lot, and then he started hitting her.  I remember hearing her cry at night, in the morning.  It  could happen at almost any time of the day.  That’s what I remember—her crying, her pain, and me wanting to go and comfort her.  I didn't understand it all, but I knew enough.  Once I was old enough ( read that as five years old) I started creeping into her room—she and he did not share one—to curl up next to her and try to ease her pain.

            That’s when it started.  He did not like me trying to comfort her and so he began to beat me.  He did it for the littlest things too.  Did I cry when he kicked my bear across the room?  Did I not eat all of my supper because I didn’t like it?  Anything set him off, and he was cruel.  As a result, we often had to move.  I came to knew what signaled a move.  Usually a teacher or a nurse at the hospital would mention that Mom and I often came in with injuries.  Once that happened we always moved within a matter of weeks—days usually.

            When I was eight, things changed again.  I remember hearing Mom and Jenkins arguing in the kitchen, and then I remember the ambulance taking Mom away.  I never saw her alive again.  The official report was that she died of a heart attack.  I knew better.  I knew he had scared her to death.

I hoped Mom’s death would give me an opportunity to get away from him but that hope was crushed when Jenkins officially adopted me, claiming that I was all he had left from his darling wife.  Once the adoption was official, we moved again.

            Mom’s death changed nothing between Jenkins and me.  As a matter of fact, it made things worse because now he only had me to beat on.  I don't know how many nights I cried myself to sleep and prayed that he would not wake up and hear me.

            If I thought things could get no worse, I was wrong.  They did when I was ten.  I used to find comfort in my  bedroom because it was a place I could hide, and he would not come  looking for me.  The night of my tenth birthday that changed forever.  I was shocked when he can in and even more shocked at what followed...

            No, I won’t go into that.  It is not something I want to think about or make someone else think about.  Needless to say the physical and sexual abuse continued until I was eighteen getting worse only once more—after the announcement that a star FBI agent named Ronald Paul Sandoval had become the attaché to a Taelon.  I asked Jenkins once why he hated me and hurt me so much, and he said it was because someone had to pay for the things that you were doing against Humanity.  There was no better candidate to pay than his bast*** son.  You seen, I am a mirror image of you.  Mom used to say it was as if some had cloned me from you the only difference being that my hair was longer than yours was—right now it reaches between my shoulders.  Jenkins hated it, but he would not let me cut it because it was good to cover the bruises on my neck when he got a little carried away with trying to strangle me and that happened more times than I would like to think about.

            I finally escaped him when I was eighteen.  He tried to keep me there—he tried hard—beat me so badly that I could bearly see in the morning, but I still left.  I went to the hospital, got checked out, then when back to my car and drove until I could drive no farther and checked into a hotel.  I stayed there for a few  days, until I could move without fear of dizziness and blackouts, and then moved on.  Where I didn’t know, I just drove and eventually ended up in Washington DC with no money at all.  I lived in my car, a lot of people do you know, and used what talents I had.  I could sing.  Mom  said I could sing like an angel.  She knew I didn't get it from her.  Another thing I must have inherited from you.

            I sang on the corner—everyday same time and place—and soon I had a group of people who came regularly.  One of them was a girl my age.  If I could sing like an angel, she looked like one.  She was so happy and peaceful, that for a few minutes while she listened to me, I could forget that I had no home, no family, no food. 

            This pattern continued until the winter when I got very sick and couldn’t go.  I laid in my car, and figured I was probably going to die because I had no money for medicine.  I went to sleep one night and woke up in the hospital.  My angel had come looking for me when I had stopped showing up on the corner, and when she had found me, took me to the hospital.

When I was released from the hospital, she took me to her apartment.  I told her I would not accept charity, and she just smiled and laughed at my stubbornness, then took me in.  She owned a dance studio, you see, and she told me that I could stay with her in her apartment above the studio if I promised to lend my voice to recording some tracks for her dance group.  I had no other choice—I agreed.

            If it were not for Laura, you would never have gotten this letter.  She gave me the strength to face it all and contact you.  I have no idea how you will react.  You may be crying at my pain (none of which I blame on you—please do not blame it on yourself) or you may not have even gotten this far—crumpling it up after the first line and never thinking about it again.  Either way, after you almost died—yes it was my blood that saved you—I knew I had to try.  So here it is—the sad story of my life.  Would you like to be a part of it?  I slipped this under your door knowing you hardly ever came here.  Maybe part of me is still afraid.  I don’t want to be hurt again.  I could not stand it. 

            Now you must decide.  Do you want to ignore me?  I know I am not the kind of son someone like you would want.  I will admit I am still recovering from the abuse, and I most likely always will be.  I wake up screaming sometimes and nothing can calm me—I know because Laura has tired everything she and I can thing of.

            If you do not wish to ignore me, then you can find me.  I have not made it easy, nor have I made it hard.  All you need to do is go to the address listed below and leave a note stating your intentions with the woman there.  I will contact her—please do not press her for a number to call me at.  She does not know.  She is only a friend wishing to help.  Once I get the message, I will contact you.

            Father, whatever your decision, I will not hold it against you.  In my heart, I know part of you loved my mom and that is all I need to know to love you.  I hope that you will decide that you can love me in return, but I do not just want to know you just because you feel it is your responsibility.  Make you choice wisely.  I will be waiting...

 

                                                                                    —Jaden ]

 

Ronald’s hands trembled as he held the letter.  Tears fell from his eyes and landed on it, but he made no move to wipe them away.  His mind was blank and at the same time working at a furious pace trying to decide what he should do.  The decision was an easy one though, and once his mind recovered from its shock, he stood and rummaged through his desk until he came to a stack of note cards.  There was so much he wanted to say to his son, but in the end he wrote only one sentence on the card.  The sentence contained only five words that had to been rewritten several times because his tears smeared the ink.  Those words were:  Please, let me see you...

 

 

 

            Jaden stared out the window at the falling darkness but didn’t move from the chair he was sitting in to turn on the light.  He’d been sitting there ever since he had come back from visiting Mrs. Tompkins and things were no clearer in his mind than they had been when he had first sat down.

            He heard the front door of the apartment open and then shut.  Laura was home—the studio shut up for the night.  She called out for him, but he didn't answer.  She wouldn’t be surprised, though.  There were times he was so deep in his own thoughts that he didn’t even hear her when she was standing right in front of him.

            Laura entered the room and turned on the lights.  When she saw his face, she immediately became concerned.

            “Jade, is there something wrong?”  She said quietly.

            His only reply was to hand her the card he had been holding in his hand.

            As she read it, her face lit up, “Jade, this is wonderful!  You have been waiting so long to hear from him.”

            “I don’t know,” Jaden stated.  “I, I thought I was ready to see him, but now I don't know.  What if he doesn’t like what he sees?”

            Laura knelt in front of him and gently touched his knee, “Jade, you won’t know if you don't try.  You’ve come so far, don’t let your fear stop you now.”

            “That’s all I am...my fear,” Jade whispered.

            Laura’s face saddened, and she pulled him into a hug, “Oh Jade...”

 

            Ronald stared at his global and for once wished it to ring.  Usually when it did, it meant that Zo’or had a task for him to do.  Now each ring could signal something he had waited impatiently for, for over a week—word from his son.

            He had almost fallen asleep when the global finally rang.  Ronald jumped up from the chair and opened it as quickly as he could knowing in his heart that it was finally his son.  He was saddened to see that his son had shut down the video portion of the global so all he got was audio.

            “Agent Ronald Sandoval?”  The voice asked.

            “Yes, this is he.  Is this Jaden?”  Ronald asked back.

            “Yes,” the voice that answered was low and scared.

            “I want to see you,” Sandoval didn’t realize his own voice was tight with fear—fear that Jaden would decide he didn’t want to see him.

            “I want to see you too,” Jaden whispered.  “ But...”

“You don’t trust me,” Sandoval finished.  “I understand.”

            “No, that’s not it.  I’m afraid, father,” Jaden’s voice got so quiet Sandoval could bearly hear him.  “I’m afraid.”

            “Let me help you,” Sandoval said.

            “I don’t know if you can—if anyone can.”

            “Please, let me try,” Sandoval begged.

            Silence fell and Sandoval was afraid that Jaden was going to hang up.  After an agonizing few minutes, he finally spoke.

            “I’m downloading a set of coordinates into your global.  Meet me there in an hour,” Jaden stated.

            Sandoval started to reply, but Jaden cut the link before he could say anything.  Ronald slowly shut his global and then shut his eyes.  An hour...only an hour and then he could finally meet his son.

 

            The snarl on the man’s face was hidden in the shadow his hat cast, but anyone who passed him on the street could tell he was a dangerous man and gave him wide berth on the sidewalk.  The man himself ignored them.  They were nothing to him.  Only one thing mattered and that was finding the boy.  The boy who had walked out on him.  He was going to make him pay for abandoning him after all he had done for him.  No one walked out on him.  He hadn’t let his bit** of a mother go;  He would not let her bast*** son go either...

 

 

 

            The autumn wind that blew Jaden’s hair into his face caught his attention just about as much as the coldness it carried did.  His hands clenched around his global as he again fought the urge to open it and call his father to cancel the meeting.  He knew Sandoval would be disappointed but at least he wouldn’t have to face the possibility of being rejected.

            Jaden shut his eyes and sighed.  He wouldn’t make the call because he knew if he did not meet his father now he would never have the courage to do it.  Then he would hate himself even more than he already did.

            When Jaden opened his eyes, his breath caught in his throat.  His father was there.  He had come and was now looking around as if he was worried that some how he would miss seeing his son.  After a few moments, Sandoval stopped looking around and instead seemed to focus in on the alley where Jaden was standing almost as if he knew he was there.

            “Jaden?”  He whispered.

            “Yes,” Jaden forced the words out passed the lump in his throat; “I’m here.”

            “I’m not going to hurt you,” Sandoval took a small step toward him.  “Please, come out where I can see you.”

            For a moment there was just silence and fear set into Sandoval’s heart.  Had he changed his mind?

            “Do you want me to go?”  Ronald asked.

            Jaden froze caught between need and fear.  It was so hard to trust anyone—so hard to take the risk, but he wanted to so badly.

            Sandoval nodded sadly when he got no reply, “You know how to contact me when you are ready.  I...I can wait.”

            As he watched his father turn to leave, a new fear filled Jaden, and he suddenly stepped out of the shadows and cried out, “Daddy, please don’t go!”

            At his son’s cry, Ronald stopped walking and turned back.  Jaden had not been kidding when he had mentioned how much they looked alike.  Mirror images indeed. Jaden was only slightly taller and thinner than his father.  His hair was longer, and he had a faint scar that stretched from the top of his right eye back to his temple, but other than that, he looked just like him.  Ronald shut his eyes and shivered not wanting to know what had caused the scar—not that he couldn’t imagine a few things after what Jaden had said in his letter.

            “Dad?”  Jaden’s unsure and shaking voice pulled Ronald’s eyes open.  When he saw the look on Jaden’s face and the tears in his eyes, a buried instinct kicked in, and Ronald found himself holding his arms out to his son—almost begging Jaden to let him comfort him.

Jaden needed no second invitation and flew into his father’s arms as if he were five instead of twenty.  A sob of fear, pain, sadness, and relief escaped him as he buried his head against his father’s shoulder.  He’d wanted and waited so long to have this someone welcome him and now that he finally had, it was so much better than anything he had ever imagined was.

            Ronald felt his son begin to shake, and he held him closer.  They boy was crying for all of the times he had not or could not when he was younger.  Ronald gently ran his hand over the boy’s hair and whispered quietly to him...

 

            Liam grumbled under his breath as his call to Sandoval again went unanswered.  Sandoval never turned off his global, so whatever he was doing must have been something that he wanted no one to know about and that usually meant trouble for the Resistance.

            Liam gave up on trying to call Sandoval and instead dialed Augur’s number.  The techno-wizard was not happy to be disturbed, but a little double-talk finally got his attention.

            “Just do the trace Augur,” Liam stated.  “Sandoval is either in trouble or causing it, and I need to know one way or the other.”

“I am not your personal babysitter you know,” Augur grumbled as he traced Sandoval’s location from his global.  “I do have better things to do.”

            “And I don’t?”  Liam asked irritated by Augur’s tone. 

            Augur sighed, “Okay, this is what I have.  The last call that came into his global was about an hour and a half ago.  The person downloaded a set of coordinates to him.  My guess would be that is where he is.”

            Liam looked at the set of coordinates Augur sent to him, “Thanks, Augur.”

            “Just remember you owe me,” Augur replied.

            “Take it up with Renee,” Liam stated absentmindedly as he started to make preparations in his shuttle for take off.

            “Don’t I always?”  Augur muttered and closed the link.

Liam sighed and concentrated on flying the shuttle instead of the empty feeling he got every time Augur treated him like that.  He had thought there was a bond between them—after all Augur had kind of been his surrogate father for a while.  Now it was like they were strangers.

            Another sigh escaped Liam’s lips as he jumped the shuttle into ID space.  So much was changing so fast, but at least he could still count on one thing.  If there was a way to complicate a situation, his father would find it...

 

            Jaden had finally began to calm down when a shuttle came out of ID space almost directly over their heads.  As it landed near them, Sandoval cursed its driver for interrupting such a personal moment and for scaring Jaden.  Ronald was glad he still had a hand on the boy’s arm or else he had the feeling Jaden would have taken off running for his life.

Sandoval watched Major Kincaid get out of the shuttle and then had to fight to keep from laughing at the look on the Major’s face when he saw Jaden.

            “There is someone I would like to introduce you to since you seem to have found us Major,” Ronald stated.  “This is Jaden Lynn.  He is my son...”

 

 

            Laura jumped when there was a knock on the door to the apartment.  She was expecting no one at this hour, and Jaden had told her he would be gone most of the night if things went well.  If they hadn’t...  Laura shook her head.  She didn't want to think about him failing because he wanted it so badly.  She opened the door and was surprised to see the person who was standing there—surprised and a little unnerved.  Something about him wasn’t right.

            He took off his hat and smiled.  Laura didn't miss the fact that the smile seemed forced.

            “Can I help you with something?”  She asked.

            The man nodded, “Yes, I am looking for a friend of mine.  His name is Jaden.”

            “You know Jaden?”  Laura asked.

            “Yep,” the man replied.  “About a year and a half ago he stopped by a bar I owned and sang a few sets to cover a meal and a room.  He drew quite a crowd.  I told him that if he should try and get a recording contract or something.  He seemed like a nice enough boy.  Anyway, I heard he was in town and seeing that I am visiting, I thought maybe I could see how he was.”

            Laura eyed him.  Something just wasn’t meshing with his story, and she was suddenly glade Jaden was not there.  The man was familiar in a very bad way.

            “Jaden is out tonight.  Meeting with some friends.  I am not expecting him back anytime soon,” She lied.

            The man nodded, “Well, then I will be on my way.  Perhaps I can catch him later.”

            “Yeah,” Laura muttered, “Later.”

            The man put his hat on and turned away as Laura shut the door.  She didn't see the satisfied look on his face or hear him whisper, “You’re mine, Brat!”

 

 

 

            Liam couldn't take his eyes off of Jaden as they walked into the Mothership.  He was sure the boy had noticed, but he didn’t care.  It was bad enough Sandoval had insisted on dragging Jaden along to the Mothership for the emergency meeting T’than had called, but to have to watch Sandoval act toward the boy the same way he so desperately wanted him to act toward him—it made his teeth grid together.

            “T’than is not going to want him in the meeting,” Liam pointed out.

            “I am aware of that, Major,” Sandoval looked from Liam to Jaden.  “It will only be a short time.  You can stay in my office until we are done.”

            Jaden nodded and slid a look at Liam.  Liam met his gaze and stared at him hard.  The stare was only broken when a Taelon approached them.

            “Liam, I see you finally found Agent Sandoval,” Da’an looked at Liam, then at Ronald.  “We were concerned when Liam could not reach you.”

            Ronald bowed his head slightly, “I’m sorry Da’an.  I shut off my global.  It will not happen again.” His smiled slightly when he realized that Da’an was not really listening to him, but studying his son.  “Da’an, this is my son, Jaden.”

Da’an darted a quick look at Liam, and then looked back at Jaden and greeted him with the traditional Taelon greeting.

            Jaden smiled slightly, and after a moment’s pause to make sure he had the motions right, returned the greeting.

            Da’an then turned back to Sandoval, “I was not aware that you had a son.”

            “I didn't know either until I became so ill earlier this year.  The doctor told me that the blood that showed up belonged to my son.  I have been searching for him, but I was getting no where, then Jaden decided he was going to announce himself to me.  It was his blood that saved my life.”

            Liam narrowed his eyes.  That blood had been his.  What was going on?  What kind of game was this kid trying to pull?

            “I was afraid that it wouldn’t be suitable,” Jaden said softly.  “There has always been an abnormality in my blood.  The doctors could never decide exactly what it was, but I was so afraid that it would make my blood incompatible.  I was happy to hear that it didn’t.”

            Sandoval smiled at Jaden; “You weren’t the only one.”

            Liam’s eyes narrowed further at the happy, joking look on his father’s face.  He should have been happy to see his father in such a good mood, but he wasn’t.  Instead he was jealous and angry.  This impostor...and despite Jaden’s resemblance to his father, he was sure he was not what he claimed...had no right to be doing what he was doing—to hurt Sandoval as he would.

            “We had better get going to that meeting.  T’than will be upset if we are late,” Liam said in a cold voice.

            Sandoval nodded, “Come, Jaden.  My office is down this hall...”

            Da’an raised a hand, “I have been informed by T’than that he does not need my presence in this meeting.  If it is no bother to you, Agent Sandoval, I would suggest that Jaden would more enjoy a tour of the Mothership than a visit to your office.  I would be happy to show him around.”

            Jaden’s face brightened.  From the moment they had entered, the ship had fascinated him.  A tour would be a dream come true, “Daddy can I?”

            Sandoval smiled, “Of course, if you wish.  Are you sure it will be no trouble, Da’an?”

            Da’an made a waving motion with his hand, “None at all.  It will be my pleasure.  Go now, do not keep T’than waiting any longer.”

            Sandoval nodded, “Thank you Da’an.  Jaden, I will come for you when the meeting is over.”

            “We will be in my office,” Da’an stated.

Sandoval nodded again and then turned to Liam, “Lets go, Major.”

            Liam scowled, but said nothing and followed Sandoval down the hall.

 

 

            Da’an watched the young man sleep on the couch in front of him.  The meeting was still going on—it had not been short, as Sandoval had hoped it would be.  Da’an did not mind watching Jaden, though.  Something about the boy had clicked with him the moment they had met.  Da’an was not sure what it was, but he liked him a great deal.  That the boy had been hurt was obvious.  He just hoped that Sandoval would be able to help heal him now that he was free of his MI and again able to feel emotions.

            Da’an sighed.  There was an innocence in Jaden even though he had been hurt and that fascinated Da’an.  Perhaps it was because he reminded him so much of the young, eager FBI agent his father had been before he had been implanted.  No one would ever know how sorry Da’an had been for that.  He felt personally responsible for what Sandoval had become.  Yet, during the little time he had seen Sandoval with his son, hope that perhaps the person Sandoval had been when they first met was not dead, filled him.  Maybe things would turn out okay after all.  He just hoped that Liam would be able to see this situation as the blessing it was and not as something he had to fight as he had fought so many other things.

 

            Liam swirled the last of the drink in his glass around and then set the glass on the counter and stared at it as if in its amber depths he could find the answer to everything.

            “Augur actually trusted you alone with the liquor?  What did you have to bribe him with?”  Liam looked up as Renee entered the Flat Planet and walked up to him to lean against the bar.  She caught the haggard expression on his face and winced in sympathy, “Rough day?”

            “You could say that,” Liam muttered and then downed the rest of his drink.

            “Want to talk about it?” Renee asked.

            “I need you to do me a favor,” Liam replied.

            Renee threw up her hands, “Oh no you don’t.  I don't do free favors.”

            Liam glared at her angrily and stood up, “You are starting to sound like, Augur.  Never mind.  I will handle it myself.”

            Renee reached out and grabbed his arm when he turned to leave, “Liam, what is going on?  What is so important?”

            “What does it matter?  You said you weren’t interested,” Liam stated.

            Renee glared at him, “What is it Liam!”

            Liam angrily pulled his arm free; “It’s like this.  We all know Sandoval has a son.  Like it or not, that son is me.  Well, tonight I found Sandoval with this boy who claims he is also his son and that it was his blood that cured Sandoval.”

            Renee paled, “What?”

            “And to make matters worse, this kid looks just like Sandoval, and Sandoval is treating him just like his son, but there is something wrong, I am sure of it,” Liam stated.

            “You got his name?”  Renee asked.

            Liam nodded, “Jaden Paul Lynn.”

            Renee’s eyes hardened, “I’ll have a report for you in an hour...”

 

 

            When Laura heard someone call out her name, she looked up and then smiled at him.  Her smile widened at the joy on Jaden’s face.  It was something she was not used to seeing.

            “Well hello there stranger.  You look very happy this morning,” she pointed out as she stood up.

            “Well duh,” he stated and motioned behind him.  For the first time, Laura noticed the man standing in a very reserved manner behind Jaden.  She had to fight back a gasp of amazement when she saw him.  Jaden has said he looked just like his father, but...

Sandoval smiled, “I promise not to bite, Miss...?”

            “Miller,” Laura stuttered, “My name is Laura Miller.”

            “It’s nice to meet you Miss. Miller.  Jaden told me he was doing some singing for you.  I wondered if, perhaps I could get a demonstration.  I would love to hear him sing,” Ronald replied.  “That is if it is not a problem.”

            “It is no problem at all.  As a matter of fact,” she turned to look at Jaden, “you can help me record that song for Janet.  You have been putting it off for the last week.”

            Jaden groaned, “I was hoping for something a little more upbeat.”

            Laura sighed, “I don’t know why the tempo matters.  This is one of your best songs.  That is why Janet specifically asked that you help me sing it.”

            “What is the title of this song?”  Ronald asked.

            “It’s called ‘At the Beginning,’” Laura stated.  “It was written in the 90’s for an animated version of ‘Anastasia’ put out by Twentieth Century Fox.  Janet is doing a special dance arrangement for it, but the CD she had the song on got damaged and you know how hard it is to find those things now.  She heard me and Jaden singing it one day as a warm up and she said we sounded better than Richard Marx and Donna Lewis, the original singers, and asked me to rerecord it for her.”

            “Janet has a talent for overestimation,” Jaden mumbled.

            Laura gave him a dirty look, “And you have a talent for cutting yourself down.”

            Jaden started to object, but Ronald gently touched his arm, “Go on.  The song doesn’t matter.  You will find I am not picky when it comes to singing.  I love it, but never have had much time for it unfortunately.”

            Laura smiled at Ronald, “Well we will just have to fix that.  The recording room is over here.  Please follow me.”

            Ronald watched as Laura and Jaden set up the recording equipment.  After a few minutes, she signaled that they were ready to go.

            Jaden nervously fiddled with his microphone and then looked up at his father.  Ronald smiled at him, and Jaden smiled back, seeming to relax as the music came on.

Laura’s part came first and as she sang, Jaden shut his eyes and let himself become part of the music.

            “No one told me, I was going to find you.  Unexpected, what you did to my heart...” As Jaden’s voice came out powerful and pure, Ronald’s eyes opened wide in shock.  He’d expected Jaden to have some talent because he himself had some, but he had not expected this...this beautiful sound that wrapped around him and filled him with peace.

            “Now here we stand, unafraid of the future...” Laura’s voice joined with Jaden’s and the two voices seemed to fill the room to over flowing.  Sandoval couldn't help but noticed the peace that was now on his son’s face—as if the music had taken him beyond the pain and fear that were such a part of his life.  He only wished that that peace could always be on his son’s face.  He liked seeing it so much  more than the pain and fear. 

            “I knew there was somebody somewhere—like me alone in the dark.  Now I know my dreams will live on.  I’ve been waiting so long.  Nothing is going to tear us apart...”Ronald shut his own eyes as they reached the climax of the song and let himself be lost in the music.  It was something he had not allowed himself to do for so long, but it still came easily.  His son’s voice was like a calming balm that washed away all the pain and fear in his own life, just as it had washed away the pain and fear in Jaden’s life.

Unfortunately, the respite was only temporary, and as the last notes of the song faded, Ronald opened his eyes and looked back at  his son only to find that Jaden was looking at him.  He smiled and hoped that Jaden could see the pride in his face.

Jaden indeed could see the pride on his father’s face and was so happy that for a moment he felt as if he would burst.  Things were going to be okay.  He had found his father;  His father loved him and that was all that mattered.  Suddenly the door behind Ronald opened and a figure walked through it.  When he saw who it was, Jaden froze.

            Ronald saw the fear enter his son’s eyes and turned to face the person who had entered the room.  He didn’t recognize the man, but he knew exactly who it was from Jaden’s description...

 

            Liam stood by the door to Renee’s office and waited for the person who was in it to come out before he went in.  It had been a lot longer than the hour Renee had promised, but she had finally called him saying that  she had all the information he had asked for and more, so he decided not to complain.  Instead he went into the office, sat down, and waited for her to start talking.

            Renee watched Liam a moment as if she were trying to judge his mood and then spoke, “What do you want first, the good news or the bad news?”

            “There’s good news?”  Liam asked sarcastically.

            Renee nodded, “Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it.  The boy is Sandoval’s son.”

            Liam sat up straight in the chair and began to ask a question.  Renee cut him off.

            “Sit still and listen to me.  You can ask questions when I am done,” Renee paused until Liam slouched back into the chair and then continued.  “Jaden Paul Lynn was born to Jacqueline Anne Lynn 20 years ago.  The father listed on the birth certificate is one Ronald Paul Sandoval.  From what I dug up, it looks like they were fairly close for two

years and then ended up going their separate ways.  She was pregnant, but never told Sandoval.”

            “She was certain that Sandoval was the father?”  Liam asked.

            Renee sighed, “If the birth certificate is not enough for you, there are several blood tests that were done at different times that point to Sandoval being his father.  His blood was also compatible to Sandoval’s, and it was his blood, not yours, that was used to save Sandoval’s life.”

            “How can that be?  What about my blood?”  Liam asked.

“Hospital records state that there were two anonymous drop-offs that night.  The first came about 7pm.  The second came later, after they had already done the transfusion,” Renee stated.

            “And mine was the second one,” Liam muttered.

            Renee nodded, “Now for the bad news...”

            “Do I really want to hear it?”  Liam asked.

            “I think you should.  It will probably change the way you look at him,” Renee paused until Liam nodded and then continued.  “Two years later Jacqueline married one Ricky Nicholas Jenkins.  For the first few months things seemed to be normal—no records of anything—then they moved and things started happening.”

            Liam raised an eyebrow, “What kind of things?”

            “Hospital visits, police visits to the house for arguing, reports being filed from teachers...” Renee let her voice trail off waiting for Liam to catch on to what she was hinting at.  When he just watched her waiting for her to continue, she sighed and began to talk again..

            “Lets try putting this a different way.  Jaden and his mother become frequent visitors to the hospital.  One report by a nurse stated she was concerned that Jaden had been brought in for a broken hand one week and then a broken collar bone the next week.  She went to file a report later that week, but found out they had moved two days earlier and left no forwarding address.  Another report came from a teacher and stated she was concerned that Jaden often came to school with large bruises and burns.  When she talked to his mother, the teacher noted that his mother was also bruised.  Unfortunately, before the teacher could file an official report, they moved again,” Renee leaned forward over her desk to look at Liam.  “From what I can see that family never stayed anywhere for more than two months until Jaden's mother died—of a suspicious heart attack I’d like to point out.  It was only after that that they started staying in places a little longer but not much.  The reports changed then.  Mostly they were from teachers worried about why Jaden was at times so reserved and silent and other times acted out so badly.  Are you getting I am saying, Liam?”

            Liam looked at her, “Well his family life wasn't very stable, and he obviously didn't take his mother’s death well.”

Renee rolled her eyes and sat up, somehow managing to keep the scream of  frustration rising in her throat down, “And we let you run the Resistance?  It is obvious that his family was not stable, but that is not why he was always hurt and acting up.  He was severely abused by his step-father Liam, and it looks like that abuse lasted almost 16 years!  I  can’t even imagine the pain and fear that boy had to live in.”

            For a moment, Liam just looked at Renee and she thought he still didn’t understand, then he let out a small moan and cover his face with his hands.

            Renee came out from behind the desk and lightly touched Liam’s shoulder, “Liam what is it?”

            “God, and I missed it?”  Liam whispered.  “In all my anger and jealously, I missed it?”

            “Missed what, Liam?”  Renee asked.

            Liam looked up at her, “The reality—the pain and the fear.  The way he seemed to shrink whenever I glared at him.  I thought he was just trying to play off Dad’s sympathy but his childishness and fear were real.  I feel so terrible now.”

            “What are you going to do?”  Renee asked.

            Liam was silent a moment as he thought, then stated, “I may not be able to tell Sandoval I am his son and experience what a father and son would get to, but I am going to make da** sure that he and Jaden get that chance!”

 

 

            Jaden couldn't take his eyes off Jenkins smirking face.  It froze him in fear and made it hard to breathe.  Jenkins knew it and that knowledge made his smirk widen.

            “Jaden, you don't look glad to see me.  I’m hurt,” Jenkins’s mocking  voice finally broke the silence.

            “What are you doing here?”  His voice came out soft, but strong.  That surprised Jaden since his whole body was shaking.

            “Why Jaden I have been worried about you.  You went to the hospital and then never came back home.  I have the right to worry about you don’t I?”  Jenkins replied in a mocking voice.  “You are my little boy after all.”

            “You are not my father!”  Jaden yelled.

            “No,” Jenkins’s eyes slid over to look at Sandoval, “I guess not.  But I raised you and you belong to me.”

            “He belongs to no one but himself.  Now I suggest you leave,” Sandoval stated, his voice calm and dangerous.

            Jenkins looked over at Sandoval, “Stay out of this, it’s none of your concern.”

            Jaden watched how his father was looking at Jenkins and realized things were  about to get out of control.  That was the last thing he wanted to happen because deep inside of him he was afraid that Jenkins would hurt or kill his father.  It took all his courage, but he forced himself to walk in between the two men and stare at Jenkins.

            For a moment, they continued to stare at each other then Jaden whispered, “Get out of here.  You have no right to be here.”

            An angry look flashed in Jenkins’s eyes and before Jaden could react, the man struck him so hard in the face that it knocked him to the floor and the crack produced by the blow echoed in the room.

Jaden had hardly hit the floor when Sandoval tackled Jenkins and knocked him to the floor, pinning him there with his skrill to Jenkins’s head.

            “If you move, I will kill you,” Sandoval growled.

            Jaden pulled himself into a sitting position, one hand against his check where the ring Jenkins had been wearing had sliced his face open.

            “Daddy, don’t kill him.  It’s not...it’s not worth it.  I’m okay,” he said quickly.

            Ronald’s eyes slid from Jenkins to where his son was sitting, blood seeping through his fingers from the cut.  Then he brutally jerked Jenkins's head to the side so the man could look at him, “If I ever see you near my son again, I will kill you.  Do you understand?”

            Jenkins nodded and Sandoval let him up.

            “Get the he** out of here,” Sandoval ordered.

            Jenkins gave Jaden a hard look and then left the studio.

            Ronald watched the man leave and then quickly moved to Jaden’s side and insisted he let him look at the wound.

            “Daddy, I’m fine,” Jaden said in a shaky voice that betrayed his fear.

            “Jade be still, and let me look at it,” Ronald stated in a soft, but stern voice.

            “Is he going to need stitches?”  Laura finally found her voice.

            Ronald shook his head, “No, just a bandage.”

            “I told you,” Jaden stated.  “It’s just a scratch.”

“It’s more that a scratch,” Sandoval stated and then paused a moment before adding, “Jaden, he knows you live here.  I want you to come and stay at my apartment until we are sure he has left town.”

            “Dad, you are overreacting.  I doubt he will...”

            “Listen to him Jaden,” Laura cut him off.  “You aren't safe here.”

             “Laura, what about you?”  Jaden stated.  “What if he comes here looking for me and can’t find me?’

            “I’ll be fine.  I doubt he even really noticed I was here.  He was too focused on you and Mr. Sandoval,” Laura replied.

            “You heard her,” Ronald pulled Jaden to his feet.  “Go get that cleaned up and pack.  I can wait.”

            “But you said you had a meeting...” Jaden started to object.

            “Go, I can miss it.  Major Kincaid can fill me in later,” Sandoval stated.

Jaden sighed and started upstairs knowing that there was no way he could talk his father out of a decision once he had made it.

            Laura and Ronald watched Jaden go upstairs in silence and then Laura spoke, “Thank you for taking him.  I am sure he will be much safer with you.”

            “It’s nothing.  I was considering asking him to move into my apartment anyway,” he stated.

Laura nodded, “There’s something you need to know.”

            Ronald looked up, concern on his face, “Is something wrong?”

Laura shrugged, “Not really wrong, but...oh I don’t know how to label it.  It’s just that sometimes he goes off into these...trances...I guess.  They happen mostly when something reminds him of what that man did to him.  He goes into them for hours at a time and nothing you do will get through to him.  I am mentioning them, because he will probably go into one later tonight when the adrenaline wears off and the fear sets in again.  He’ll probably have nightmares too.”

            Ronald nodded, ‘Thank you for telling me.  I would have been really concerned if you hadn’t.”

            “Just keep that man away from him.  Jaden has gone through so much to get away from him.  It would kill him to be forced to go back...”

 

            Later that night when Ronald came back from being chewed out by Zo’or for missing the meeting, the apartment was silent.  He called out for Jaden, but got no response.  At first he was scared, but then he remembered what Laura had said about Jaden’s spells and started to look through the apartment for him.  He found his son sitting on a stool in the bathroom.  It looked like he had been changing the bandage on his face when the spell had hit.  Now he was sitting, staring into the mirror at his swollen and  bruised face, but the blank look in his eyes told Ronald he was really seeing nothing.  It was eerie.

            Ronald gently touched Jaden’s shoulder and said his name.  He didn't really expect a response, and he didn't get one.  He sat on the edge of the sink and finished changing the bandage on his son’s face.  After that, he knelt beside him.

            “Jaden, I am going to go fix supper.  You can come and  join me if you feel up to it.  I’ll be in the kitchen when you are ready,” he whispered, desperately wishing Jaden would react to  him in some way—anyway, but Jaden didn’t and after a minute, Ronald stood up, gently kissed him on the temple, and then left the room and went to the kitchen.

            He fixed supper in a daze, not sure why he was going to the effort.  Deep down he knew Jaden would not be joining him anytime soon.  An hour passed, and when Ronald went in to check on Jaden after finishing eating, he found the boy sitting in exact same position he had been in when he had left him earlier.

            Ronald touched Jaden’s shoulder to let him know that he was there and then left the bathroom and went into Jaden’s room.  He wasn’t surprised to find that Jaden’s bag was still sitting on the bad, fully packed.  Ronald opened it and began to put away the bag’s contents.  He had to smile when he got to the bottom of the bag and saw what was there—but it was a sad smile.  The it at the bottom of the bag was a battered teddy bear.  It didn't take a lot of thought to realize that this was most likely the teddy bear that Jaden was always talking about—the one his mother had given him before she had died—the one that Jenkins had loved to kick around the room.  The poor bear was missing an eye and Ronald could see where one arm and an ear had been sown back on.

            He just looked at the bear a moment, and then carried it into the bathroom with  him.  Once there he tucked it into one of Jaden’s arms and gently whispered, “I thought you might like to have this.”  Then he gently ran a hand over Jaden’s head and walked out of the room again.  He had just gotten out of the door when a sob came from the room.  In an instant he was back in the room and cradling his son in his arms.

            “Please don't let him hurt me, please don’t let him hurt me,” Jaden sobbed.          

            Ronald rocked him gently, “I swear to you I won’t.  I swear.”

 

 

            Laura was just about to shut off the lights in the studio when she heard the front door being broken open.  She turned to run for the stairway that lead to the apartment because it could be locked, but was grabbed from behind and shoved into a wall.  She started to scream, but it was cut off when a hand wrapped around her throat and started to squeeze.  She tried to force the hand away, but had no luck.

            “Where is he!”  Jenkins hissed at her.

            “I don’t know!”  She gasped.

            His hand tightened around her throat and he knocked her head against the wall, “Don't lie to me!  Where is the bast*** at!”

Tears ran down Laura’s face as she gasped for a breath, “I...don’t...know.  Please...”

            Jenkins face seemed to mock her fear, “Tell me what I want to know, and I will let you go.”  His hand tightened around her throat again.

Laura gasped as dots of light clouded her vision, “He’s with...he’s with his father...at, at his...apartment.”

            Jenkins smirked and tightened his grip on her throat, “Thank you so much.”

Laura’s eyes widened in panic when she realized he wasn’t going to let her go.  She fought until he got tired of watching her fear and crushed her windpipe.  After a few seconds, he let her dead body slip to the floor in a heap.

            He looked at her a moment more and then pulled out a pack of matches.  A few minutes later, he stood across the street, watching the studio go up in flames and laughed as he imagined the fear that hearing about Laura’s murder would cause Jaden.  That fear was nothing compared to what he had in mind when Jaden was finally in his hands again.  When he was through with the boy, the brat would never, ever, leave him again.

 

 

 

Jaden flipped on the TV as he heard the door to his father’s apartment shut.  His father had to go to a meeting, but after that, they were planning on spending the whole day together.  For now, Jaden just needed to find something to keep him occupied and not thinking about Jenkins for two hours.  The TV seemed the perfect option. 

            A news program was on—the reporter talking about a fire that had burned down a building the night before.  He was about to flip the channel when he realized that the building was Laura’s studio.  He froze and listened, suddenly afraid of what he would hear.

            “The owner of the studio was found near the stairway to her upstairs apartment.  Her body was badly burned, but it was determined that she did not die from smoke inhalation.  She died of a crushed windpipe.  The police are calling this...”

Jaden didn’t hear anything after the reporter stated how Laura had died because he knew who had done it—Jenkins—and he knew why.  It was to send him a message.

            The fear Jaden had been trying so hard to fight suddenly flared back to life and took him hostage.  He drew his knees up to his chest and wrapped his arms around them.  He then laid his head on his knees and started to rock back and forth, not trying to fight the tears that ran down his face.  Jaden was so deep in his fear and sorrow that he never even heard the door to the apartment open.

 

            Liam met Sandoval and greeted him as he got out of his shuttle.  Sandoval thought it was a little weird considering how the Major usually acted toward him, but blew it off.

            “How is Jaden?”  Liam asked.

            “He is okay—as much as he can be with Jenkins in town,” Sandoval replied.

            “I am actually surprised you didn’t call in and say you couldn’t be here considering what happened,” Liam pointed out.

“I missed one meeting because of Jaden’s run in with Jenkins,” Sandoval stated.  “I don't think Zo’or will allow me to miss another.”

            Liam narrowed his eyes, “Who said anything about his run it with Jenkins?  I meant what happened to Laura.”

Sandoval stopped walking, “Major want are you talking about?”

            Liam turned toward him, “You don't know?  No, I can see you don’t.  Laura Miller was found murdered this morning.  Her windpipe was crushed, and her studio was burned down.”

            Sandoval paled, “Jenkins,” he hissed.  “ I need to go and talk to Jaden.”

            “You can’t miss this meeting.  You were right to say that Zo’or won't let you out of another one,” Liam pointed out.

            “Da**it!  I should be there when he finds out!”  Sandoval cursed.

            “Da’an and I will do our bests to do rush it,” Liam stated.

            Sandoval nodded, “Then lets get this over with!  I need to be with my son.”

 

            Two and a half hours later, Ronald rushed into his apartment building and impatiently waited for the elevator.  As he waited, the boy behind the desk ran up to him.

            “Mr. Sandoval, a man stopped by shortly after you left this morning and dropped this off for you.  He said it was important,” the boy stated,

            Sandoval looked at the plain envelope, “Did he leave a name?”

            “No sir.  He just said you would know who he was from the letter,” the boy replied.

            Sandoval nodded and got on the elevator.  As it went up, he opened the envelope.  The paper inside had only one sentence on it and that sentence froze his heart...

 

                        Do you really think you can keep him from me...

 

When the elevator reached his floor, Ronald dropped the paper and ran to his apartment.  He froze in fear when he saw that the door was open.  He raised his arm and brought Raven into firing position as he entered.  The apartment was a mess.  What could be smashed was and what couldn’t be smashed had been turned over, ripped, or demolished in some way.  Ronald wanted to call out for his son, but dared not just in case Jenkins was still there.

            Slowly he went through all the rooms until he came to his son’s room.  He prayed Jaden was in there, but he when he went in and realized he wasn’t Sandoval felt as if his heart had been ripped out of his chest.  No, his son was not in the room, but it was obvious whatever had happened had happened there.  The blankets and sheets were on the floor; Jaden’s bear was laying on the ground, torn into many pieces; There was also blood on the bed and floor.  What really made Ronald's blood run cold, was that Jaden’s clothes lay torn on the floor amongst the blankets. 

            Ronald let out a low groan and sank into a crouch beside the bed with his head in his hands.  He’d promised him; he’d promised Jaden that he would never let Jenkins hurt him and now, now he realized he had lied.

            “Jade, I’m sorry.  Oh, God where are you?  What did he do to you?” Ronald whispered in a choked voice.  Tears ran from his eyes and his sorrow echoed so loud in his ears that he bearly heard the soft pounding coming from the closet.

            As soon as he heard it, though, he was on his feet and pulling the broken chair and blankets away from the door.  In a matter of moments, he was able to wrench the door open.  Inside, on the floor was Jaden, naked, with his hands tied in front of him and a gag in his mouth.

            Ronald quickly untied him and wrapped his jacket around him.  Jaden was crying so hard he could bearly speak, but he didn't have to.  Ronald sat down in front of the closet and pulled Jaden into his arms.

            “I’m sorry.  I’m so sorry!”  He rocked the shaking boy and tried to calm him.  Eventually, Jaden’s sobs quieted and the boy slipped unconscious.  Ronald cursed himself for not calling an ambulance sooner.  He did, and then gently rocked Jaden and whispered to him until the ambulance arrived.

 

            When Liam arrived at the hospital, he found Sandoval pacing in the waiting area.

            “No news?”  He asked.

Sandoval shook his head, “It’s been almost two hours; I want to know how he is!”

            Liam raised an eyebrow and looked at him.

Sandoval sighed, “I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to yell.  I am just so worried about him.”

            “I understand.  Why did you call me?”  Liam asked.

Sandoval opened his global and handed it to Liam, “This is a picture of Jenkins.  He did this, and I am positive he is the one behind Laura Miller’s murder.  I want you to work with the police on the investigation.  I am too close to do it because if I find him, he will never make it to trail.”

            Liam nodded and transferred the picture to his global.  He didn't tell Sandoval, but if he found Jenkins, it was also likely that the man would never make it to trial.  Liam was about to leave when the doctor finally came out to talk to Ronald.

            “How is he?  Is he awake?” Sandoval asked.

The doctor held up his hand to stop Sandoval's questions.  When Ronald was quiet he spoke, “Jaden is sleeping now.”

“He'll have nightmares.  I should be there,” Ronald cut in.

            “Not with what we gave him.  It is important that he get a good night’s sleep so he can heal,” the doctor stated.

            “How badly was he hurt?” Liam asked.

            The doctor looked to Liam, relieved to have a bit calmer head to talk to, “He has numerous cuts and bruises.  The things were are most concerned about are the broken collar bone, which we have set, and the broken wrist.  It was really wrenched apart almost as if he broke it trying to pull it loose from something.”

            “The ropes,” Sandoval whispered.

            The doctor nodded, “It is possible.  With the lacerations on his wrists, it is obvious he was pulling quite hard to pull his hands from the bonds.  I’m not sure though, if just the pulling could have done it.  More likely the blow that broke his collar bone jerked his arm down hard enough that it broke.  Both injuries will heal okay.  Thankfully he doesn't have a concussion like we feared at first.  He passed out earlier because of shock.  In time he should be okay, physically anyway.  His injuries will mend.”

            “Thank God,” Sandoval whispered.

“You are aware he was sexually assaulted?”  The doctor stated.

            Liam looked surprised, but Sandoval only nodded, “I guessed he was.”

            “That is going to cause the most problem.  I won’t lie to you Agent Sandoval, with his previous history of abuse; we have no idea how he is going to react.  He may come out of it and eventually be near what he was before or he may close up on us.  While the nurses were working with him, they noticed he was acting as if he were perhaps 5 instead of 20.”

            “I don’t understand,” Ronald shook his head.

            “It’s called regression and it quite common in people who are in a similar situation as your son.  It is a coping mechanism in which the person regresses age wise and acts younger than they are so they don't have to think about what happened to them.  For some people this condition lasts only a short time, but I am concerned that with the seriousness of your son’s abuse that it may last longer.”

            “Is there something I can do to help him come back?”  Sandoval asked.

            The doctor shrugged, “Unfortunately, there is nothing definite, but just being there for him will help.”

Sandoval nodded and looked at Liam, “Inform Zo’or I am taking a leave of absence, and I don’t care what he says.  Jaden needs me more than he does now.”

            “I will talk to Da’an, and we will see that you get all the time you need,” Liam stated.

“May I see Jaden?”  Sandoval asked the doctor.

            “He will not wake up tonight, but if you wish to you may,” the doctor stated and then walked away.

Liam turned to leave as well, but stopped when Sandoval called out to him.

            “I want to thank you, Major.  None of this is in your job description,” He said softy.

            Liam shrugged, “I am happy to do it.  I like Jaden.  He shouldn’t have been hurt like this.”

Sandoval nodded and then turned and walked into Jaden’s room.  Liam watched him go and then returned to his shuttle.  No, this was no problem for him.  As a matter of fact, if Sandoval had not asked him to be involved, he would have found a way to be involved anyway.  Jaden was his half-brother and he was going to make sure that Jenkins paid for hurting his family...

 

 

            Ronald bolted up out of the chair he was sitting in and for a moment didn't know where he was, then, as the dream he had been having cleared from his mind, he remembered and slumped back into the chair.  Unconsciously, he let his eyes wonder to the bed where his son lay still—asleep this time, not unconscious—and a sigh escaped him.  It had been almost a week and there had been no improvement in Jaden’s mental condition.  When he wasn’t sleeping, he was scared, and when he was sleeping, half the time he woke up screaming and nothing anyone could do would calm him down.  That hurt—more than anything it hurt that he couldn’t calm his son, comfort him, and make him realize that he was safe.

            Sandoval ran his hands over his face.  He was in no better shape than Jaden in many ways.  The littlest thing made him jump and when he slept, it was light and disturbed with dreams—ones that made him want to scream just as loud as Jaden did at times.  Fortunately, he hadn’t yet, and he hoped the restraint would continue.  The last thing Jaden needed was to see his father as upset as he was.  Ronald had just put his head back against the chair and shut his eyes, trying to banish the dream that had made him want to scream so loudly, when a scream—not unlike the one he had wanted to let out—came from Jaden’s bed.

            He was on his feet and to Jaden’s bedside in an instant.  He spoke softly to Jaden, who was now sitting up, but none of the words seemed to be reaching him.  Jaden only stared at the wall across from the bed, shaking and crying.  Ronald gently pulled Jaden into his arms, careful not to jar his broken wrist and collarbone and rocked him.  Eventually, Jaden’s crying lessened.

            “Daddy, daddy, daddy..." Ronald wasn’t sure how many times Jaden had whispered the word before his voice became loud enough to hear.

            “Jaddy I’m here.  It’s okay,” he whispered back.

            Jaden pulled away from his father and looked up at him with tear stained eyes, “He killed him, daddy!  He killed him!”

            Ronald looked confused.  Killed who?  They were sure Jenkins had killed Laura...but he?  Who was he?

            “Who Jaden?  He killed who?”  Ronald asked gently.

            Fresh tears sprang into his eyes, “My bear!  He killed my bear!”  Jaden started to sob so hard he was choking on his tears.  Ronald pulled him back into his arms and tried to calm him.

            “He killed him!  Mommy gave him to me, and he killed him just like he killed her!”  Ronald felt a sudden chill run over him as Jaden continued to cry.  Jackie’s death had been suspect because she had been in good health—as good as one in her situation could be and had no sighs of heart problems before she had the heart attack—but...

            “Shhh, Jaddy, shhh.  Everything will be okay.  Your mommy will look after Mr. Bear,” Ronald whispered to him.  That seemed to be the right thing to say because Jaden’s crying again lessened and soon Ronald realized that he was asleep.  He gently laid his son back against the bed and tucked the blankets in around him.

            For a moment, Ronald just watched his son sleep.  The boy’s face was pale—yet red from his tears—and it was wrong, so wrong.  The boy should not look like this—so young, yet so old at the same time.  It made Ronald feel very angry and guilty.

            *  If I had stayed with Jackie this would not have happened.  It only I had not been so eager to...* he let his thoughts drift off as he reached forward to brush back his son’s hair from his face.  Yet instead of calming Ronald as it should have, the motion just reminded him of what Jenkins had done to Jaden.  Jaden had told him how much Jenkins hated his long hair.  Now that long hair was gone...sheared off to bearly shoulder length by Jenkins during his attack.

            Ronald gently touched his son’s bruised face one more time and then quietly left the room so that he would not wake his son.  He needed to call Major Kincaid and have him look into Jackie’s death.  If Jenkins had killed her, then he was going to pay for that too.  After that, Ronald needed to get permission to go back into his apartment.  There was something there he needed...

 

            Not 45 minutes later, Ronald was digging though the closet in his bedroom.  He had had to argue with the officer at the door to let him in, but after a little ‘pressure’ the man had allowed it.  He had gathered some clothes together for himself and Jaden—after all they would not be returning there anytime soon, if ever—and now he was looking for the thing that he had specifically come for.  It had been in the back of his closet in a box, but Jenkins must have known somehow that this was his room, because of all the rooms in the apartment, it was trashed the most.  Almost nothing was still in one piece.  Ronald muttered a prayer that what he was looking for was still in one piece; Jaden could use it right now.

            After five more minutes of searching, Ronald finally unearthed what he was looking for—a battered-looking stuffed dog.  A slight smile covered Ronald’s face as he thought back to all the adventures he and Rocky—that was the dog’s name—had had.  So many nights the dog had stood guard at the head of his bed—he was afraid of the dark then, and as much time as he spent in it now, he still didn’t like it—while he had slept.  Now, hopefully, Rocky would bring the same feeling of comfort and protection that he had once brought him to Jaden.

 

            When he returned to his son’s room, Ronald was surprised to see that Jaden wasn’t alone.  Major Kincaid was sitting at his bedside gently stroking the boy’s hand.  Ronald just stood in the doorway and watched them for a moment—a weird sense of rightness filling him that he couldn't explain.  Why did it seem right that the Major was there? 

Ronald watched them for a few more seconds, and then Major Kincaid suddenly looked up as if he had heard a sound even though Ronald knew the Major had not, because he had not moved.

            Liam started to stammer a reason why he was there, but stopped and a sudden, sly smile crossed his face.  For a moment, Ronald couldn't understand why Liam was looking at him like that, then he remembered the toy in his hand.

            Ronald shrugged, trying to seem nonchalant; “It’s for Jaden.  I thought having a toy to replace his bear might help him.”

Liam smiled, seeing past the mask of indifference Ronald was wearing and knowing deep down the actual significance of the dog from the memories he had inherited from his father.  Maybe Sandoval thought he was giving the dog to Jaden to comfort him, but Liam was willing to bet that part of the reason was also because the dog had never failed to protect little Ronnie Sandoval and now he hoped that somehow the dog would protect his son.

Ronald caught Liam’s eyes and couldn't understand the look there.  It was almost one of deep understanding...as if somehow the Major knew all his deepest secrets.  The feeling was eerie, and Ronald shook himself out of it.

            “Was there something you needed Major?”  Ronald asked.

            Liam shook his head, “I just wanted to see how Jaden was.”

Sandoval nodded sadly, “No news then?””

“I’m sorry,” Liam whispered.  “We’re all trying as hard as we can.  Da’an has even been rearranging his meetings so that I can have more time to work on it.  By the way,” Liam turned to the desk behind him and picked up something, then turned back to Sandoval and handed it to him.  “I wanted to give this to Jaden.  It was once given to me to keep me busy and out of trouble.  Maybe it will keep him busy and keep him mind off things.”

            Ronald looked at the Taelon puzzle that Liam was holding out to him, then after a moment took it.  By the look on Liam’s face, he could tell that the puzzle meant a lot to him.  Then why was he giving it to someone he bearly knew?  That feeling of rightness hit Ronald again and it took the sound of Liam’s voice to pull him out of it.

            “It eventually becomes the Mothership.  It didn't take me long to figure it out, but Da’an has always told me that I had a knack for Taelon things.  Go figure,” Liam shrugged.

            Ronald nodded slowly as he fought to understand Liam’s actions, “Thank you, Major.  I am sure Jaden will enjoy it even if he doesn't solve it as  quickly as you did.”

            Liam smiled and stood, “I have a feeling it won’t take him that long.  I have to get going.  I, I have a meeting with some of the officers on the case.”

Ronald nodded again and let Liam leave, noticing that the man was suddenly nervous.  He had no idea why, but for some reason he didn't feel like questioning it.

            “He’s nice, daddy.  He makes me feel safe,” Ronald looked up as Jaden’s soft voice spoke.

            Ronald walked to Jaden’s bed, placed the puzzle back onto the desk, and then sat down on the edge near Jaden’s head.  He thought a moment and then replied, “Yes, he is isn't he?”

            Jaden nodded, “He’s like you.  He’s good.”

            Ronald just looked at his son a moment.  What did he mean Kincaid was like him?  He couldn't think of anyone he knew who was less like him.

            “Who’s that?”  Jaden nodded toward the toy Ronald had momentarily forgotten was in his hand.

            Ronald smiled and held the dog out to Jaden, “This is Rocky.  He was my friend when I was a child, and I thought maybe he could be your friend too.  Let me tell you about all the fun times we used to have...”

 

 

 

 

            Ronald Sandoval sighed and dropped his jacket onto the couch.  The last week had been very exhausting, but he couldn’t help it.  For a few days he had been content to stay at the safe house with Jaden and take care of him, but lately he had wanted to—no needed to—be involved in finding Jenkins since the man seemed to have disappeared.  No matter how hard he and Liam looked, they couldn’t find a trace of him anywhere.  Liam was starting to think that maybe Jenkins had left town, but Ronald had actually met Jenkins and looked him in the eye.  He knew there was no way Jenkins was going to leave town until Jaden was either his slave again or was dead.

            He walked across the room and stood in the open doorway to Jaden’s room.  The boy was sound asleep on the bed.  Ronald looked down at his watch.  It was almost 8pm and that meant that Jaden had taken the pills that the doctor had prescribed him to help him to sleep without dreams.  Jaden may have been getting slightly better mentally, but it seemed like his dreams were getting worse and worse.  Without the drug, he woke up screaming and sobbing at least 7 times a night.  With the drugs it was usually more like once or twice. 

Ronald pulled his son’s door half shut so that he would not wake him up, and then walked into the kitchen.  Once there he started to fix himself a sandwich, but he had just picked the bread up when someone grabbed him and shoved him into the counter.  His head struck an open door and the world spun.  He forced his sight to clear and tried to get turned around so that he could fire Raven at his attacker, but he had only gotten halfway around when the person kicked him, and he went flying back into the open door of the refrigerator.

            Sandoval fought down a scream as he felt his shoulder dislocate.  It was just his luck that the arm he could not move was the arm with Raven on it.  He slumped back against the refrigerator hoping to fool his attacker into thinking he was hurt more than he was.  It worked, and after a few moments, the man took a few steps toward Ronald.

            “And you thought you could keep him away from me?”

            Ronald’s eyes narrowed.  Jenkins!  He should have guessed.  Now anger started to numb the pain he was feeling from his shoulder.  He might not have been able to fire Raven, but there was a laser in the living room.  If he could get to it....

            “I know what you are thinking,” Jenkins laughed and held up the laser.  “Do you really think me so stupid that I would not have searched the apartment before I attacked?  I’ve been here for several hours.”

            Ronald’s eyes widened, “Jaden.”

            “Oh, I haven’t touched him...yet.  I wanted to take care of you first.  I think nothing will break him more than seeing you dead,” Jenkins hissed.

Sandoval looked at him, desperately trying to find a way to stall him until he could think of something to do, “How did you get passed the officers?”

            Jenkins laughed, “That was easy.  I dressed up as one of them, and they let me go right passed—no questions asked.”

“I’ll have to make sure they are punished for their lapses,” Sandoval stated as he studied Jenkins.  He could tell the man was starting to relax.

            “Maybe I should wake Jaden and make him watch?”  Jenkins sneered.

“Don’t,” Sandoval made his voice sound tired and scared.  ‘Why do you have to do this to him?  What did he do to you?”

Jenkins’s sneer widened, “Begging now?”

            Sandoval’s eyes narrowed when Jenkins took a step toward him.  As he did, Ronald dove at Jenkins and knocked him to the floor.  The laser flew out of Jenkins hand, but he ignored it in an effort to get Sandoval off him.  Eventually, Jenkins got a hold of Sandoval’s shoulders and shoved him into the floor.  This time Sandoval could not hold back the cry of pain that rose in his throat.  Jenkins wrapped his hands around Sandoval’s throat and started to strangle him.  Ronald tried to pry his hands loose, but he couldn’t get any leverage with only one hand.

            “I don’t need a laser to kill you,” Jenkins snarled.  “You should know that from Laura.”

            Blackness started to fill Ronald’s vision, but he blinked his eyes to clear it.  There had to be something he could do to get loose, but his mind was not working and as desperately as he tried to think of something—everything was running away from him into a mist.

            Jenkins laughed wickedly, “Just think of this, I will be having so much fun with him—there is so much I am going to teach him.  He’ll be begging for it by the time I am done.”

            Anger gave Ronald a little bit of strength, and he tried to get  loose again.  Jenkins slammed him back against the floor and a shock of pain when through him as everything went black.

 

            When Ronald woke up everything was quiet except for a soft sobbing.  As the world started to come into focus, Ronald realized that someone was stroking his hair and whispering.

            “Daddy, daddy, daddy,” the voice gently repeated.  “Please wake up, please.”

            Ronald’s swallowed painfully, “Jade, it’s okay.  I’m awake.”

            “I was so scared.  I thought, I was afraid...” Jaden’s voice shook.

            “I’m okay now,” Ronald winced when heard how harsh his voice was.  “Jenkins—where is he?”

            Jaden’s eyes widened, “I had to.  I had to.”

            “Shhh...  You had to what?  Where is he?”  Ronald asked.

            Jaden looked passed where Ronald was laying, and Ronald followed his gaze.  A few feet from where they were laid Jenkins—a bloody laser wound in his chest.  Ronald shut his eyes a moment as he started to piece together what had happened after he had passed out.  Jaden must have heard what was going on, walked in, and seen what was happening, then picked up the laser and shot Jenkins.

            “God,” he whispered.  Jaden might have been 20 years old, but his mind was that of a child right now.  He shouldn’t  have had to....

            “Daddy?”  Jaden's voice was bearly audible.

            “I’m okay, Jade.  Help me up.”  Ronald stated.  Between himself and Jaden, Ronald managed to get to his feet and into the living room.  He sat down on the couch and pulled his global out of his jacket pocket then called out to the officers that were supposed to be watching the building and ordered them to call Liam.  Once he was done with the call, Ronald motioned to Jaden who was sitting very still on the chair across from him.  Jaden quickly moved into him father’s arms.  Ronald then rocked him and talked to him quietly as much to calm himself as to calm his son.

 

            Liam rushed into the hospital with fear in his heart.  The officers had told him that his father and Jaden had been attacked again, that Jenkins was dead, and that someone had been injured.  He did not know, though, who had been hurt or how badly.  He talked to the nurse at the front desk and then quickly followed her to the room where the injured person—his father—was.  As he reached it, he slowed his steps and looked into the room.  His father lay in the bed—one arm was in a sling and there were several bandaged cuts on his face.  What really caught his eye, was the bruises and red marks on Ronald’s neck.

            “Agent Sandoval was very lucky.  If his son had not interceded when he did, he probably would be dead,” the nurse stated.

            Liam looked at her as he suddenly realized who was missing from the room, “Where is Jaden?”

            “He’s fine in case you are wondering.  He is next door with one of the other nurses,” the nurse replied and motioned toward the door before leaving.

            Liam walked toward the door and slowly opened it.  As he did, the nurse inside looked up at him and then motioned for him to enter.  As he did, Jaden looked up.

            “Liam,” he whispered and held out his arms to him.  Liam knelt down and held him.  At the same time, he cursed Jenkins for having done this to him.  Jaden was 20 not five.  He should be able to act that way and not have to hide behind the facade of a small child just to be able to survive.

            “He hurt daddy.  I had to hurt him back!”  Jaden whispered in an intense voice.

            “I understand.  You did right, Jaden.  You did right,” Liam stated.

Liam felt Jaden nod and held him closer.

            “Major, if it is not a problem, could you stay here and watch him?  I have other patients I need to check on,” the nurse stated.

            “Lee,” Jaden looked up at him.  “I want to see my daddy, but they won't let me.”

Liam looked at the nurse who shrunk back slightly at his stare, “He did see his father once, but  Agent Sandoval needs to rest.”

“I am sure you are aware of Jaden’s condition,” Liam’s voice was cold.

“Y-yes,” the nurse stammered.

            “His mental state is very delicate.  He should be allowed to see his father whenever he wishes,” Liam stated slowly, as if he were talking to a small child.

            “But Agent Sandov...” the nurse began.

            “Agent Sandoval would be very upset to know his son was not being allowed to see him,” Liam interrupted.  “Jaden should be sharing a room with him, not be stuck here where he knows no one.”

            The nurse slowly nodded realizing that she was not going to win this fight, “All right.  I will have a cot put into Agent Sandoval's room.”

            “Do it now—before you attend to your other patients,” Liam ordered.

            The nurse nodded again and quickly left the room.  Liam watched her go and then looked back at Jaden.

            “Do I get to see my daddy?”

Liam nodded, and Jaden threw his arms around him and gave him a tight hug, “I get to see my daddy!  I get to see my daddy!”

            Liam gently touched Jaden’s head as the boy held onto him.  * Yes, * Liam thought wishing he could announce the joy of seeing his father as much as Jaden was , * You get to see our daddy... *

 

 

 

            Jaden sat on the floor of the apartment a few days later with his back against the couch and fiddled with the puzzle Liam had given him.  He was close to solving it, he knew he was, but it just wouldn’t quite go together.  In frustration, he sat it on the floor and just stared at it.  Then, in his mind, he took it apart and again started to put it back together.  Suddenly, he smiled as he realized what he had been doing wrong.  Jaden picked the puzzle back up and quickly took it apart and then put it back together making one adjustment as he did. 

            “Yes!” He whispered as the last piece went into place and the completed model of the Mothership finally stared back at him.  He laughed, as he looked it over from all sides.  His father and Liam would be so proud of him for finishing it.  They knew he had been trying so hard to do it by himself.

            The door to the apartment opened and Jaden looked up—for a moment scared that it might some how be Jenkins coming for him even though he knew the man was dead.  The fear left his face as quickly as it had come, though, when he saw that the person was Liam.

            “Hey sport!” Liam stated as he walked across the room and ruffled Jaden’s hair.

            “Look Liam, I finally finished it!” Jaden held up the puzzle with a proud look on his face.

            Liam took the puzzle from his hand and looked at it, then back at Jaden, “I knew you could do it kiddo.  Nice job.”

            Jaden nodded and then let his eyes drift to the door, “Is my daddy with you?”

            Liam set the puzzle on the coffee table, “Yes, as a matter of fact, he is bringing a visitor to see you.  Why don’t you get up and sit on the couch.”

Jaden's look hardened, but he obeyed Liam, “Is it another doctor?  I don’t want to talk to another one.”

            Liam looked sadly at Jaden.  He knew that the boy was not the only one tired of all the ‘doctors’ who clamed they could help him but hadn’t.  Sandoval was too, that was why he had finally broken down and asked Liam to do him a favor.

            “Nope, no doctors this time.” Liam replied.

            Jaden smiled, “Good!  Who is it then?”

            “Well, now if I tell you it will ruin the surprise!” Liam jokingly waved a finger at Jaden.

            Jaden narrowed his eyes into an expression that could only be called Sandoval-isque and then started to pout, “Come on Lee!  Tell me!”

            “I’ll only give you a clue.  He is an old friend,” Liam stated hoping Sandoval and the ‘friend’ would hurry up and get there before he gave into his brother’s pleas.

            “Hmmm…” Jaden tilted his head to the side and tried to figure out whom Liam was talking about.

            Liam watched him try to figure it out.  Jaden looked so cute and childlike that it was hard to remember that he was actually 20 years old.  Liam sighed and was about to pull out his global to see what was taking Sandoval so long, when the door opened again.

            “Daddy!” Jaden perked up when his father entered the room.  “I finally…” Jaden’s voice trailed off when he saw who was with his father.

            “Hello Jaden.  Do you remember me?”  The visitor’s voice gently cut through the silence.

            Jaden just watched the visitor for a few tense moments and then his face broke into a big smile.

            “Da’an!” he said happily.  “Of course I remember you.”

The Taelon smiled, “I had feared that with all that you had been through, that you may have forgotten me.”

            Jaden shook his head and laughed, “No, you are my friend and my daddy’s friend and Lee’s friend—you are a part of our family.”

            Liam suppressed a laugh at Jaden’s childish statement.  If only the boy knew how close his words fell to the truth…

            Ronald cleared is throat, “Jaden, Da’an would like to talk to you.”

            Jaden again tilted his head in that manner that Liam had found so ‘cute’ earlier, “About what?”

Da’an moved slowly to the couch, then sat next to Jaden and gently laid a hand on his arm, “I would like to talk to you about what happened with Jenkins.”

            Jaden shook his head, making his hair fly wildly and pulled away from Da’an, “No, no, no!  I am tired of talking about that.  I don’t want to talk about it any more!”

            Ronald started toward Jaden to calm him, but Da’an motioned for him to stay back.  Ronald gritted his teeth together and stopped moving.  It hurt not to be able to calm his son, but Da’an had warned him that it would be painful for him to watch.  Ronald had been given the choice whether or not he would be there, and he had made his choice.

“Jaden sit still,” Da’an's voice was soft, but commanding—almost hypnotic—and Jaden turned back to face him.

            “I just want to help you, Jaden.  Will you not let me try?”  Da’an asked.

            “I’m scared.  I don’t want to face it,” Jaden whispered.

            “I will let nothing harm you,” Da’an replied and again gently touched Jaden—this time on the forehead.

            Again Jaden jerked away, “But if I stay this way, then I don’t have to be scared!  I can be happy!”

            Liam looked up from the floor where his gaze had sunk.  Da’an had only touched him twice and for a few seconds, but already Jaden’s voice and manner seemed older—even if it was more scared.  Liam slid his eyes toward Sandoval.  Even though Ronald’s eyes were glued to Da’an and his son, Liam could tell that his father had not missed the change in Jaden.

            “Living in fear is no way to live,” Da’an stated gently.

“But I am not afraid, not like this,” Jaden insisted and then pleaded.  “Please, just let me be a kid.  I…I never got to be one.”

            Da’an shut his eyes for a moment and blushed blue.  This was going to be harder than he had thought.  Perhaps he had been wrong to tell Agent Sandoval that he could help Jaden.  Da’an opened his eyes and looked back at his former protector.  He was shocked to see the tears in his eyes.  He had never seen Agent Sandoval as a man who felt much of anything emotionally, but here he was suffering almost as much as his son was.  Da’an turned back toward Jaden and smiled gently.

            “Jaden, look at me,” Da’an asked, the light commanding tone reentering his voice, and Jaden turned his head to look him in the eyes.  “I want you to shut your eyes and listen only to my voice.”

            “Do I have to?” There was a slight whine in Jaden’s voice that faded before he finished the sentence as he felt his eyes closing almost against his will.

“Relax Jaden,” Da’an gently placed his hand back against Jaden’s forehead.  The boy winced, but did not pull away this time.  Silence descended and for a few moments it was as if the room and all who were in it had been frozen.  Then Jaden let out a cry.

            This time Sandoval was unable to keep from going and comforting his son.  He gathered Jaden into his arms and held him for a few moments.  Then Jaden pulled away and looked at him.  Immediately, Ronald realized something had changed.

            “It’s okay, Dad.”  Jaden said with a slight smile.  “I’m okay…  I’m back.”

Ronald just looked at his son for a few moments, not aware of the tears in his eyes, and then turned to Da’an, “I don’t know how to….”

Da’an again cut him off with a wave of his hand, “You have done so much for the Taelons it is the least I can do.”

            Ronald nodded, and Da’an slowly stood, “Stay here with your son.  You have much time to make up for.  Liam will take me back to the Mothership.”

            Ronald nodded again, “Thank you Da’an, Liam.”

            Da’an smiled, and then he and Liam left as Jaden suddenly smothered his father in a big hug.

            Things were silent between Da’an and his protector until Liam had taken the shuttle into ID space.  Then Da’an spoke.

            “Does it sadden you that you cannot do as Jaden does to your father?”

            Liam looked up from the control panel and smiled slightly, “Yes, it does and at first I was angry at him because of it, but I have come to realize that I may never be able to tell Sandoval about our connection.  That doesn’t mean that he should not be able to know the love of a child.”

Da’an nodded and allowed the silence Liam seemed to want to descend again.  It was only as they stepped from the shuttle on the Mothership that Da’an stopped Liam and again spoke to him.

“Do not despair.  Someday the powers that watch over you will allow you to have all you desire,” Da’an whispered.

            Liam looked at him in shock, but got no further explanation.  Instead Da’an gracefully walked away from him leaving him alone with his confusion and the sudden sense of hope that the Taelon’s words had placed in his heart.

 

THE END

 

 

 

Send any comments etc to Roguemoon at roguemoon4@yahoo.com