DISCLAIMER:  Earth:  Final Conflict and all of Earth:  Final characters in this story are property of Tribune Entertainment.  No infringement of rights is intended.  Danella and Ronnie are creations or my own.  Please don’t use them without my permission.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: Ronald and Liam have been implanted.  Are they lost to those they love forever?  All words in ** are thoughts and all words in [ ] are telepathic communication.

RATING:  PG

 

 

FOR FREEDOM

By Roguemoon

 

 

Liam's eyes scanned the area, as his mind fought to place its name and location.  He knew he knew this place, with its misty air and colorful scenery, yet he couldn't remember how he knew it, and that inability upset him greatly because deep in his heart, he was ashamed he'd let the name of a place that he loved so much slip his mind.

"Do not be so hard on yourself son.  You are suffering from a traumatic experience.  You cannot be expected to remember a place that you have only seen in your dreams no matter how many times you have seen it."

Liam slowly turned to face the speaker—his father, Ha'gel.

"I don't understand.  How can you be here?  Am I dead?”  Liam asked.

Ha'gel shook his head, "No, but near to it.  Your mind was greatly injured because you fought the CVI so long and hard.  If that Taelon had not betrayed you, you would have died.  Instead, he forced you to accept that which you did not wish, and here you are while you mind decides whether you should live or die."

Liam shut his eyes.  For a minute, he was back on the table, begging Da'an not to use his abilities to weaken his will so that the MI could take over his mind.  Tears entered Liam's eyes.  His mentor, his friend, had betrayed him in the worst possible way and now he was to be a slave to all he had once fought against.

Ha'gel moved forward and gently touched Liam's shoulder, "Come now, and let me show you the beauty of our homeworld.  Let's not think about the horrors that the Taelon has forced on you.  There is so much you can see, feel, learn here.  There is no reason to tarry in the other world which holds nothing for you but pain."

Liam looked at his father questioningly, "Wait a minute.  What do you mean tarry in the other world?  If I go with you, will I die?"

Ha'gel's look saddened, but he nodded yes.  "But what is there for you in the other world?  Pain and the certainty that you will soon hurt those you love.  Why go back to that, when you can stay here and finally learn all that you were meant to know about the Kimera?"

"What good is information that cannot be put to use?”  A kind voice asked.
Liam turned to face the speaker, "Why are you here?  You have no right to be here.  You betrayed me, just like Be'lie said you would."

Da'an looked distressed, "Liam, please let me explain my actions.  They do have a meaning."

"What if I don't want to listen to your excuses?  Why should I believe your lies?"
Liam asked angrily.

Da'an motioned toward Liam, "You have every right to doubt me.  But I ask you to look past that doubt and give me a chance to speak."

Liam looked toward his father.  Ha'gel's shining form seemed to shrug its shoulders as if to say that it was Liam's decision.

Liam looked back at Da'an, "I'm listening."

Da'an nodded, "I know you look at what I did as a betrayal in the highest sense of the word, but I did it to save your life."

"What good is a life where I can do nothing but hurt those I care about?  What good is a life where I become the betrayer?  That is what the MI will do to me, and I won't let that happen," Liam stated.

"Nor will I. That is what I needed to tell you.  Liam, I had your CVI modified.  The MI will burn out in a matter of days, leaving you free to continue your work with the Resistance.  They need you," Da'an's voice dropped to a whisper, "and I need you."

"And what about what I do in those few days?  What about the people I hurt then?”  Liam asked.

"You must trust in me, and believe that I will not make you do anything that you would not normally do," Da'an answered.

"And what about Zo'or, and what he orders?”  Liam said.

"I will handle Zo'or.  Please believe what I am saying to you," Da'an almost seemed to beg.

Liam looked at Da'an and thought.  Could he be telling the truth?  There was nothing in the Taelon's actions or posture to show that he was lying.

"Do not believe the betrayer," Ha'gel said in a low whisper.  "He only seeks to betray you again.  Remember, once you return to the other world, you will be at his mercy.  Stay here with me; let me teach you and answer all of the questions that have so haunted you."

"Do not listen to him, Liam.  I will not betray you.  This I swear to you.  Knowledge is nothing when it cannot be used.  There are those who are waiting for you in the other world; those who you can help; those who only want you," Da'an stated.

Liam shut his eyes and whispered, "Mom, Dad, Dani."

"Yes," Da'an replied softly.  "They need you to lead them home.  My daughter loves you Liam.  For that reason alone, I would never betray you.  Of course, there are other reasons too."

Liam opened his eyes when Da'an stopped talking, "What other reasons are there?"

Da'an blushed blue, "I care about you Liam.  I thought you knew that.  You are the son I never had."

"Lies!”  Ha'gel said angrily.  "He cares about no one but himself.  I am the only father you need to care about."

Liam looked up in surprise, "Did you care so little about my human parents that you have already forgotten them?"

"No, no," Ha'gel replied shakily.  "It is just that you have a destiny beyond them.  You are the one that matters, not them."

Liam smiled sadly, "You aren't my father, are you?  He cared about me and my family."

Ha'gel's form dimmed, "Of course, I am your father.  I care about you or else I wouldn’t be here trying to keep you from making a mistake that will hurt all those you care about."

Liam shook his head, "You are not my father.  You are no more than my fears--my fear of pain, my fear of hurting those I love, and my fear of failing.  If I follow you, I may be at peace and happy, but it will only be a shadow—a pale comparison to what the other world holds for me."

Ha'gel's form dimmed once more and then vanished, along with the illusion of the Kimera homeworld.  Liam looked at the cold blackness that remained and then turned back to Da'an.

"If he was just an illusion, then are you one as well?"

"I am the truth," the figure of Da'an replied, "and I am one who will always be with you."

Liam looked confused, "But how do I know that I can trust you anymore than I could trust him?"

"You can only trust what you find in your heart," the figure said.  "Let your heart lead you back to those who you love and who love you."

Liam began to speak, but the figure faded into the dark before he could. Liam didn't know what to do. Did he go back and risk being trapped as a full implant or did he stay here and leave all those he loved and needed.

* Look into your heart, * the words floated softly to him and seemed to wrap around him like a warm blanket. * Your heart knows the truth. *

Liam took a deep breath and shut his eyes. For a minute, he thought he saw his mother and father's faces. Then the faces changed into two others—the faces of a father and daughter who loved him more than everything.

"I'm coming back, Dani," he whispered.  "I'm coming home..."

 

"...I'm coming home," Da'an had to lean forward to hear the soft words that Liam whispered as he lay on the hospital bed.  Da'an then looked up at Dr. Belman, who was smiling.
"I take it that talking is a good sign," he stated.

"In his case, yes, because his brain activity and vital signs just returned to normal.  In my opinion, he will wake up in a few hours," Dr. Belman replied.

Da'an gently touched Liam's forehead and then stood, "Please notify me when he does wake."

Dr. Belman nodded and then watched the Taelon leave the room.  She glanced back at Liam for a moment, and then shook her head.  Whatever Da'an had done, he had brought Liam back from the edge of death and had made him want to live again.  She just hoped that the modified CVI they had used worked.  Otherwise, the innocent smile that now covered Liam's face would be the last one any of them would be seeing for a long time...

 

 

"It looks like we just missed them," Liam stated.

Agent Sandoval shook his head as he watched Liam's image over the global, "'Just missed' them again, Major?  This seems to be settling into a pattern that I neither like nor approve of."

"Believe me, I don't like it any more than you do.  It's almost like they are being tipped off or something," Liam replied.

"Yet you know as well as I do that that is impossible.  Only a select few knew about the raid before hand," Sandoval pointed out.

Liam shrugged, "Do you think one of them is betraying us?"

"I said no such thing, but it is a possibility.  I will talk to Zo'or about this 'problem' and see what he recommends."

"Yes, Sir.  In the meantime, we will continue to look for clues to the whereabouts of their new hideout.  Major Kincaid out."

Agent Sandoval shut his global and then headed to see Zo'or.  He wasn't looking forward to reporting another failure on his part, but it had to be done.  The matter of the possible traitor also needed to be dealt with.

As usual, when Agent Sandoval entered the room, Zo'or ignored him until he felt like speaking to him.  This 'obedience training' had only gotten worse since Sandoval had been re-implanted.  It seemed to the man, that Zo'or was testing him and his loyalty over and over again just to make the man, who was still quiet aware of what was going on even though he couldn't stop the implant from following Zo'or's orders to the letter, suffer for his 'betrayal.'

"Do you have something to report, Agent Sandoval?”  Zo'or finally asked as he stood up so he would tower over Sandoval even more.

Sandoval took a deep breath and answered, "Unfortunately, it seems that the Major and his people just missed them again.  We are..."

That is unacceptable, Agent.  Why is it that you and the Major always seem to 'just miss' them?”  Zo'or interrupted.

Sandoval gripped the arms of his wheelchair until his knuckles turned white.  If Zo'or would have only let him finish, then he would already have the answer to his question.  Ronald wanted to scream at him, but, of course, the implant wouldn't allow it.

"Is there something wrong, Agent Sandoval?”  Zo'or asked when the agent didn't reply.  "You seem very tense."

"We believe there is a leak in the operation," Sandoval replied quietly, trying to avoid the real meaning of Zo'or's question.

Zo'or smiled and then walked over to stand in front of Sandoval, "You know that is not what I meant."

Sandoval looked at the floor to avoid meeting Zo'or's eyes.

"Agent Sandoval, if there is something wrong, you should tell me," Zo'or said in an uncharacteristically soft voice.

"You know what is wrong," Sandoval finally managed to whisper.

Zo'or smirked, "Look at me, Agent Sandoval."

Ronald fought the command, but eventually, the implant forced him to obey Zo'or's order.

The Taelon's smirk widened, "That is better.  I know how you are feeling," Zo'or stated as he began to circle Sandoval.  "You are fighting every command, hoping someday your will be able to overcome the MI.  I do not know why you insist on doing this.  You know as well as I that the MI in this CVI will not give into your will.  I saw to that when it was redesigned."
Zo'or stopped walking and looked at Sandoval, who was again looking at the floor, "Believe me, Agent.  I do not like seeing you like this anymore than you like being like this."

* Yeah, right, * Sandoval thought to himself, wishing that the implant would let him say it out loud.  * You care about nothing but your own ambitions.  *

Zo'or signed and took a hold of Sandoval's face so that the implant was forced to look at him, "What are you thinking?  How much you want to kill me for taking away your free will, but still giving you the ability to think for yourself?  Say it, I want to hear what you are thinking."

Sandoval swallowed and then answered in a low voice, "I just want to know why.  Where in your plan does it say that my torture will help you accomplish anything?  Why didn't you just have me killed?"

"Why did I not just have you killed?”  Zo'or repeated.  "I'll tell you why I did not just have you killed," Zo'or let go of Sandoval's face only to let his hand trace along it.  "I need you.  We are more alike than you could ever imagine."

Sandoval jerked away from him, "We are nothing alike!"

Zo'or angrily waved his hand, "Quiet!  I do not want to hear any more from you.  You are going to listen to me."

Sandoval was forced into silence; the anger in his eyes, though, said all the things he couldn't.

Zo'or just smiled at the anger, "You say there is a leak in Major Kincaid's team.  I believe the leak is the Major himself."

"Why do you think that?”  The implant in Sandoval asked before the man could stop him.

Zo'or smiled, "I think Da'an had Kincaid's CVI altered, just as I had yours altered.  It will be up to you and Lt. Beckett to find the proof you need to show the Synod that Da'an has been helping him, and through him, helping the fugitives."

Sandoval nodded and turned to leave.  Before he could, Zo'or walked in front of him.

"Is there something else, Zo'or?”  Sandoval asked.

For a moment, the Taelon only looked at him, then he spoke, "I truly do not like seeing you in pain, Agent.  It keeps you from being your best.  I wish there was another way."

* Liar!  * Sandoval thought to himself.

Zo'or smiled, "And I can tell you do not believe me.  Is there a way that I could prove it to you?"

Sandoval just looked at him.  Yes, there was something he could do, but Ronald knew that it would never happen.

"Yes, you are right, that I cannot allow," Zo'or replied as if he had read Sandoval's mind.  "I need to be assured of your loyalty if you are going to be allowed to remain alive.  Perhaps there is something else I could do."

Sandoval shut his eyes.  There were things he would like to ask for, but the implant wouldn't allow him to.  Zo'or had to know that.

Sandoval's eyes flew open when Zo'or again gently touched his face.

"You are lonely.  Perhaps you and Lt. Beckett should spend more time together—off duty that is."

"Permission to speak my mind," Sandoval asked.  Zo'or granted it with a motion from his hand, and Ronald continued, "She killed my wife.  I may have had feelings for her at one time, but now, if I spend anymore time with her, I will kill her—implant or not."

The look Sandoval then gave Zo'or almost made him shiver.  Zo'or would never admit that any human scared him, but this was close.  Perhaps it was because he knew that the implant would find a way to carry out his threat to Lt. Beckett and that made Zo'or wonder if, eventually, Sandoval would find a way to kill him as well.

Zo'or pulled himself from that train of thought, "Very well.  Is there someone else you would like to spend more time with?  Your son perhaps?"

Sandoval shook his head.  Major Kincaid the implant was no more his son, than Agent Sandoval the implant was his father.

Zo'or looked at him, "You do not wish to see your son either."

"That man is not my son," Sandoval stated.  "My son was a gentle soul who wanted to help others, not hurt them."

Zo'or sighed, "He is the same person he always was; he only has more direction now.  I do not understand you.  You are lonely, yet you reject every option I give you."

"Maybe it is because you don't know as much about me as you would like to think you do," Sandoval whispered.

Zo'or glared at Sandoval for a moment, "Talk to Lt. Beckett and try to figure out how to prove that Kincaid is the leak.  Once you do that, I will finally be able to use him as the experiment he was meant to be."

Sandoval nodded, and then began to leave, only to be stopped by Zo'or again.

"I would still like to ease your pain.  Think on what might help you and then come to me when you have decided what you want," Zo'or stated.

"Yes, Zo'or," Sandoval replied in a flat voice and then left.

When Sandoval left, Zo'or stood in the middle of the room and shut his eyes.  After a few minutes, a slight sound pulled him back to himself, and he turned around and smiled at the young dark-haired woman who was standing in the doorway waiting to be acknowledged.

"Well, what do you think?”  He asked her.

"He is very brave and strong.  You will never completely break him, father.  He would rather die than allow that," she replied.

"That is what I feared," for a moment, Zo'or looked almost sad.

The woman crossed the room and laid a hand on Zo'or's arm, "Father?  What is it?"

"Do your best to make him not want to fight us, child.  I wish him to live as long as we can make him," Zo'or replied.

"Is he that valuable to your plans?”  She asked.

Zo'or blushed for a moment, "He is, for my plans and for other things as well.  Try to ease his loneliness.  It is not good for either of you."

The girl nodded, "I will do my best."

Zo'or gently touched the top of her head, "I know you will, Laura."

 

 

Laura watched him work.  Even though most people in his condition wouldn't try to do the things he was doing, he did them and never batted an eye.  She wondered if that was because he was an implant, but thought not.  She knew that he had been a strong man even before he had been implanted.  Her skrill, Lady Hawk, purred softly and Laura smiled.  It was good Lady liked him; it was very good.

Laura continued to watch him, and then, after a few minutes, Agent Sandoval looked up at her, almost as if he had sensed her watching him, even though she knew that was impossible.
Laura walked up to him, saluted, and then spoke, "I am Agent Laura Kerren.  Zo'or assigned me to be your assistant."

Agent Sandoval looked her over, "I've been expecting you.  Have you been briefed?"

"Yes," Laura replied.  "Zo'or told me about the situation."

"Then you realize how...important...this assignment is," Agent Sandoval stated.

"Any agent who didn't know how serious a rogue agent is, wouldn't be worth their skrill," Laura replied.

Sandoval nodded, "I'm glad you feel that way."

"I understand the agent in question..." Laura started.

Sandoval cut her off with a wave of his hand, "Meet me in my office in 30 minutes.  We will discuss it then."

Laura nodded, turned, and walked from the room.

Sandoval watched her go and wondered why he had felt connected to her the moment he saw her.  He shook his head.  As much as he hated to admit it, maybe Zo'or was right.  He did miss having someone to talk to—someone who would understand everything about him without making him explain.  Deedee had been able to do that—before he had been implanted anyway.  Ronald shut his eyes a moment, as he thought about how scared she had to have been when she was taken.  And to die alone, he would never forgive himself for being the cause of that.

Unfortunately, the implant in him didn't care about Deedee or her pain.  He opened his eyes and headed to his office.

Laura approached Agent Sandoval's office with nervous anticipation.  She had felt the link between them almost immediately, and she could tell he had felt it too.  Oh sure, he hid behind the implant facade, but she could see that the man behind that facade had felt the connection just as strongly as she had.

Laura knocked on the door to his office and then entered when he gave her permission to.

"You need to be more careful, agent," Sandoval stated once she had come to stand in front of his desk.  "You almost let confidential information slip.  The last thing we want is for him to figure out that we are watching him."

"My apologies, Agent Sandoval," Laura stated.  "I was just concerned about how you were taking the news that your son was betraying the Taelons."

Sandoval looked at her.  Why did she care about how he was feeling?  Her curiosity immediately made him want to distrust her, but he found that he couldn't.

"Major Kincaid has not only betrayed the Taelons, but humanity as well.  I do not claim him as my son," Agent Sandoval replied.

Laura met his eyes and then said in a whisper, "Is that the man or the implant talking?"

Sandoval tried to look away from her, but found that he couldn't.  Even worse, he didn't really want to.  He just wanted to be lost in those blue eyes forever...They looked so familiar, and that familiarity filled the void that had been left in his heart when he had heard about Deedee's death.

Laura smiled and looked away from him.

Sandoval shook his head to clear it, and then answered, "We are one and the same."

Laura looked back at him, "Are you so sure of that?"

Agent Sandoval began to reply, and then stopped himself.

"I don't need to explain myself to you.  I believe it is you who should be explaining to me why you are asking me all of these questions," he stated.

Laura's smile saddened, "You are so torn.  Zo'or is concerned about your ability to work well.  He wanted me to talk to you about it."

"And why would I talk to you when I have chosen not to talk to anyone else?”  Sandoval asked.

Laura moved forward and then gently touched his hand, "You can feel it as much as I can.  Stop fighting it."

For a moment, Sandoval was again caught in her familiar gaze.  Then he managed to look away; his anger gave him the strength to.

"I don't know who you think you are, but I suggest you end this game," Sandoval stated as he pulled his hand away from her.

Laura smirked, "This 'game' is one that cannot be stopped once it has started."

"I don't know what you think has started..." Sandoval began.

Laura looked sadly at him, "You have buried your soul so deep so you can try to forget that it is there and that it needs as much love as you do.”  Laura touched his hand again, and this time Sandoval swore that he felt something pass between them.  He looked up at her, and she smiled as she moved to sit on top of his desk.  Laura then reached out and touched his face.
Sandoval shut his eyes.  For a minute, he could almost imagine that her gentle caress was Deedee's—it was so familiar.

"You never need to be alone," she whispered to him.

Ronald let her words and touch pull him into a trance-like state.  Only after a few minutes had passed, was he about to pull himself out of the trance.  He opened his eyes angrily, ready to yell at her for what she had done.  Unfortunately, he couldn't do that because his anger melted into a strange sense of loss when he saw that she was gone.

"How are things going?”  Zo'or asked Laura when they met later that day.

Laura looked up at him, "They are as well as can be expected I guess."

Zo'or looked at her, "You are sad.  What is wrong?"

Laura looked at the floor and then answered, "I don't like lying to him."

Zo'or walked over to her, and then pulled up her head so that she was looking at him, "And what would you tell him, Deedee?  How would you explain to him how you came to be in this body—the body of my hybrid daughter?"

Deedee/Laura shut her eyes.  Though she hated thinking about it, she knew she was just as trapped as her husband was.

Zo'or turned from her and walked back to his chair, "Things will continue as I planned them."

Deedee nodded sadly and turned to leave.  Zo'or's voice stopped her as the Taelon reminded her again of the thing that most held her captive.

"I know that you want to tell him the truth.  Just remember that the CVI you were implanted with will kill you if you do..."

 

 

Liam looked around the area as he slipped into the warehouse where he was supposed to meet Boone.  It had taken awhile to get a hold of the man and convince him that he was on their side, but he had finally done it with Da'an's help.  Now he was going to see to it that they figured out a way to keep everyone safe and away from Beckett and Sandoval until they figured out a way to release them both from their MIs.

Liam watched the shadows as Boone and Ronnie walked out of them.  He was slightly disappointed that Dani wasn't with them, but he could understand why she wasn't.  If he was lying, Boone didn't want to put his daughter at risk because she would be the first person he would go after.

Boone looked him over for any signs of the MI he still wasn't sure was there or not.  Eventually, he spoke, "Were you followed?"

Liam looked at him, slightly annoyed, "Of course not.  I'm not a fool you know.  I have done this before."

Boone shrugged, "Sorry, you know that I have to be careful."
Liam nodded, "I understand."

"So, what exactly do you have in mind?  How are we going to get Mom and Dad back?”  Ronnie asked.

"Believe me," Liam stated, "I'm working on it, but Zo'or has teamed Sandoval with this agent.  Her name is Laura Kerren; she's about 25.  Will, see what Augur can dig up on her.  Anyway, she has been spending a lot of time with him.  I haven't been able to talk to him alone at all.  She reminds me of someone, but I can't place her."

Boone nodded, "How about Beckett?"

"She's been avoiding Sandoval and me like the plague.  She has been glued to Zo'or's side when Sandoval isn't, though," Liam stated.

"I would think that she would want to talk to Dad about you and me," Ronnie said.  "Weird."

"I think they had a fight, and Sandoval actually threatened her.  She did kill his wife after all," Liam pointed out.

Ronnie shook his head, "Why couldn't the Taelons just leave us alone?  They are ripping our family apart."

Liam nodded, "I know.  It hurts..."

"Not as much as killin' yah is goin' ta, son."

Liam spun around.  In the doorway of the warehouse was Agents Kerren, Sandoval, and Beckett.  All three agents had their skrills pointed at the group.

Boone raised his skrill, "I thought you said you weren't followed!"

Liam went for his gun, "I wasn't!"

Beckett smirked, "We tracked yah via yer global.  Zo'or has wondered about yer MI since day one.  Now put down yer weapon.  I don't want to have to kill yah."

Liam slowly lowered his weapon to the ground and then looked up at his mother, "You really don't want to do this."

Beckett laughed, "Yah don't know..."

She was cut off as a bright flash lit up the area and chaos broke loose in the room.

 

 

Dani's shaqarava blast knocked Beckett unconscious and disoriented everyone else.

Boone had known it was coming--Dani was the back up plan in case Liam had been lying--so he was the first to recover.  He grabbed Liam and Ronnie's arms and dragged them both toward the shelter of some old machinery.

Sandoval blindly fired his skrill at them and managed to hit Liam in the ankle.  Liam stumbled and went to his knees.

Ronnie started to help him up, and was almost hit by a second skrill blast.  Boone pulled him behind the machinery as Liam struggled to get to his feet.

"Don't move!”  Sandoval ordered.  "Liam, I don't want to kill you, but I'll have no choice if you continue!"

Liam looked back at his father and for the longest time, they just stared at each other.  Liam could see the pain in his father's eyes, and he cursed Zo'or for putting his father back under the control of a MI.

Laura/Deedee watched them.  She could see the pain each of them was feeling.  Liam wouldn't go back, that much she was sure of.  That meant Ronald would be forced to kill him.  The MI would give him no other choice.  And in doing that, not only would Liam die, but Deedee knew that her husband would die as well.  There had to be a way to stop them—to break Ron's MI.

* How?  * She thought to herself.  * What could I do or say that would break his MI?  There has to be something... *

She shut her eyes a moment.  Suddenly she knew what she had to do.  She had no choice.  There was only one thing that she knew for sure that would break the MI because it was more a part of him than any piece of alien technology could ever be.

"Ron, don't!”  She cried.

He turned to her, "Agent Kerren?  What..." his voice trailed off as he was drawn into her pleading eyes.

"Who are you?”  He whispered.

Deedee winced as a dull ache started in her head—a warning that she was coming close to tripping the self-destruct built into her CVI.  She ignored it, and forced a smile to her face.

"You know who I am," she replied softly.  "You have always known."

Ronald's eyes got distant for a moment.  * It can't be, * he thought to himself, then looked up and whispered, "Deedee?"

Tears slipped from her eyes as the pain in her head increased, "Yes."

Ronald's eyes opened wide in shock.  He then shut them for a moment, trying to make sense of things, and suddenly felt a snap in his head as the MI gave way.  How could they have done this to him?  Told him that his wife was dead, only to return her in the body of another?

His eyes flew back open, but the words died in his throat when he was that she had sunk to her knees.  He quickly moved his wheelchair so that he was next to her.  He then pulled himself out of it, so he was on the floor with her.

Deedee let him pull her into his arms.  She then let her headrest against his chest.

"Is this what it was like?”  She whispered, "When your CVI broke down?"

Ronald gently brushed the hair off her forehead and tried to ignore the blood that was dripping out of her ear.  He knew all too well what that meant.

"He set it to kill you if you told me," Ronald replied.  "Why?  There had to be a different way."

Deedee smiled weakly and ignored his question," There is so much I wanted to tell you."
Ronald shook his head, "It doesn't matter."

"It matters!”  She said as strongly as she could, "I thought about you every day.  I wanted to be with you so much."

"I know," Ronald whispered as he stroked the side of her face.  "We're together now, that's all that matters."

Deedee shut her eyes as another wave of pain went through her.

"Deedee?”  Ronald's voice was filled with concern and tears.

"Thank you," she said softly.

"For what?”  He asked.

"For everythin..."her voice drifted off.

"Deedee?”  Ronald's voice caught in his throat.  Silence descended and then he leaned forward and kissed her.

"I love you," he whispered.  "I love you..."

Minutes passed, and he held her until Liam walked up and gently touched him on the shoulder.

"Dad?"

Ronald looked up at him, eyes red from tears.

"We have to go," Liam said quietly.

Ronald gazed at Deedee a moment longer and touched her face one last time, then reached out toward Liam.

"Help me, please," his voice was almost inaudible.

Liam helped his father back into his wheelchair.  Ronald moved almost as if he wasn't even there.  Liam could understand.  How was his father going to overcome this loss after losing so much already?

 

 

Zo'or sat alone in his private chambers thinking about the report he had just received from Lt. Beckett.  Actually, mourning would be a better word for what he was doing--if anyone believed him capable of mourning.  The Taelon shut his eyes and blushed blue for a moment.  He had just lost the two things that he had held the closest to himself.  He had never thought that Deedee Sandoval would have enough inner strength to kill herself to set her husband free of his MI.  Now his daughter was dead, and the only human he respected was somewhere within the Resistance--both of them out of his reach.

"Zo'or, yah wanted to see me?”  Beckett asked as she stood in the doorway of the room.

Zo'or didn't bother to look up at her when he answered, "Has there been any word on where Agent Sandoval disappeared to?"

"Nay, I'm afraid not.  The only clue we have ta go on is the basket of flowers that showed up at Agent Kerren's funeral and that has only led ta dead ends," Beckett replied.

"Keep looking," Zo'or ordered and then dismissed her with a wave of his hand.

Beckett nodded and left.  She couldn't understand why Zo'or seemed so desperate to find Sandoval.  The agent had betrayed them once before and was probably doing it again.  She shook her head.  Sometimes she didn't understand the Taelons.  Sometimes she wondered if they knew what they were doing, and sometimes she just wondered...wondered if she knew what she was doing.

In his private chambers, Zo'or shut his eyes and leaned back in his chair.  He knew wanting to bring Sandoval back to the Mothership after everything they had done to him was dangerous.  It didn't matter, though.  He still wanted it done.  Some part of him needed the implant around to challenge him and...

"Now you understand," Zo'or opened his eyes and angrily looked at the voice's owner.

"What are you doing here?  You have no right to be here, and you are invading my privacy," Zo'or snapped.

"And you are avoiding the subject," Da'an replied calmly.  "You understand my connection to humanity now.  You can see why I wish to give them respect."

"I see nothing.  Just because I respect one human does not mean I respect them as a race," Zo'or replied.

Da'an smiled knowingly and turned to leave.  After all, his respect for humanity had begun with only one man as well...

 

 

THE END

 

 

Send all comments, questions etc to Roguemoon at roguemoon4@yahoo.com