Phoenix from the Ashes

By Jen’ii Starfire, Copyright 1999

         After the murder of William Boone, and the later death of Siobhan Beckett, I felt that the writers of the show had done more than just killed of two well-loved characters. I felt that they had cut off two important lines in the plot of the series, and two friends that I’d come to know very well. Since they don’t seem eager to remedy this situation on their own, I decided to fix it myself, at least in my own little mind.

        As usual, Roddenberry/Kirshner Productions own the characters and basic plot of the series, even though they’ve used them so badly. All other ideas and plot-threads expressed here are my property, so please don’t steal them from me.

        There are spoilers here up to and including "The First of It’s Kind," and then "Redemption." Reading "In the Mists of Time"(my first story) would be a good idea, but I don’t think it’s necessary.

        The usual thanks go out to Cache for beta reading this (twice!), everyone at the Commonality where I vent my frustrations, and everyone who sent comments about my last story, "In the Mists of Time." Enjoy, and please drop me a line about this story. I’m still learning, so I really appreciate input.

 

        William Boone was dead.
        Da’an knew instantly, without the slightest doubt in his mind.
        It wasn’t that there was a specific, conscious realization. The Taelon just knew, as surely as he had known the day he met Boone that this man was intended to be his Protector and teacher in the ways of humanity. There could be no question.
        Nor could there be any question as to who had committed this act. Only Zo’or would have the audacity to murder Da’an’s beloved Implant. Zo’or had long been seeking the proper moment to kill Boone, Da’an realized, and had taken the opportunity that the Human’s injury had offered. Da’an surrendered to anguish, remembering his Implant's gentle smile and slow, quiet mannerisms. There could be no recompense for his death.
        Unable to control his pain any longer, Da’an turned away from the window in his office, and retreated deep into his private chambers. Zo’or would deeply regret his audacity, Da’an promised himself, and Boone would somehow be salvaged. There was no other option.

* * *

        Deep within the headquarters of the Liberation movement, a woman screamed in agony.
        It might well have been just as much a scream of terror as of pain. Trapped in an unknown place, with the only familiar face that of a suspected traitor, Siobhan Beckett was in labor. No doubt adding to the confusion that her body and mind felt was the fact that the baby being born had been conceived less than twenty-four hours ago. It was enough to terrify even the most fearless woman.
        Lili Marquette stood by Beckett’s side, holding tightly to the hand of the woman that she had tried to kill only the day before. Dr. Parke, for her part, thought it likely that the only reason Beckett had accepted Lili was that the Implant was too deeply buried in pain and confusion to really remember anything about the previous day, or wonder where she had been taken. With any luck, she would never think to ask about that. Parke, meanwhile, examined the latest readout of vital signs, for both mother and child. Jonathan Doors hovered forebodingly in the shadows nearby, waiting. Ever since this "situation," as he called it, had begun, the head of the Resistance had closed headquarters to all by Parke’s nurse, himself, Lili, and two of his bodyguards posing as protection for the hideout.
        "Is it a threat?" Jonathan asked sharply. Parke barely afforded him a glance.
        "I should think that would be fairly obvious, Jonathan. It’s not even born yet."
        "With the rate that thing’s been maturing, that doesn’t give me much comfort, Doctor."
        "I’m sorry, but I can’t tell you anything more. Only that this labor is going a little more quickly than we’d expected, so I need you to stay out of the way."
        Doors growled a response, but Dr. Parke was beyond listening to him. For now, all that mattered were her patients. Including, oddly, the vicious Implant who had wanted to reveal them all.
        "Promise me, Captain," Beckette gasped in between contractions, "Promise me that you’ll watch over Liam if anything happens to me. No matter what."
        Liam? Lili shrugged internally. Fine. If that was the name Beckett wanted for the baby, that was fine with her. What mattered more was convincing Beckett that she wasn’t going to die. "That’s not going to be a problem, Beckett, you’re going to be just fine…"
        "Promise me," Beckett repeated, squeezing Marquette’s hand so tightly that Lili winced in pain. "No matter what happens."
        In that moment, there was understanding between the two soldiers.. Like so many times during the S.I. War, Lili was struck by sudden knowing. This mattered to Beckett more than anything else, and it might be truly important at some future point.
        "I will," she promised. Beckett didn’t give in, waiting for more. "I promise," Lili assured her. For one more moment, the two soldiers from different sides of the battle stared into each other’s eyes, and then, apparently sure of Lili’s word, Beckett allowed herself to collapse back on the bed, closing her eyes against the pain.
        "He’s all that I have," she murmured softly. "It’s fate that he’s to be born. That was why we were destined to come together…to create him."
        Confused, Lili was about to ask what she meant, but another wave of contractions hit, and the Implant was too deep in pain and concentration to clarify her words.
        Not five minutes later, Beckett was unconscious and a newborn boy, whose mother had named him Liam, was being carried away by one of Parke’s nurses. At the time, there was no way of knowing that it would only be a week before he was full-grown…

One week later

        Da’an stood beside Quo’on, feeling the lack of his Implant even more keenly now that he was in a public situation. Always Commander Boone had accompanied him when he went out to meet the public. Now, a week after his death, Da’an felt strange without his friend and Protector. Nearby, Captain Marquette looked similarly disturbed as she stood between Sandoval and a slim, dark man whom Da’an did not recognize. Another car pulled up, and Da’an was saddened to see Boone’s one living relative, his younger sibling, Sarah. Da’an slowly walked over to greet her.
        "Miss Boone, I wish to offer my condolences for the loss of your sibling."
        "Thank you, Da’an," Sarah responded, sounding haunted. She looked deeply into his eyes for a moment, and then shook her head. "I’m sorry. I…I don’t agree with the way your people have acted on our world, but Will…He always said that you were different from the others. He cared a great deal for you, Da’an."
        "And I for him," Da’an answered softly, feeling his control over his appearance slipping in the face of sorrow.
        "I opened his will yesterday," Sarah continued, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "He wanted you to have his orchids, and his book of Shakespeare’s plays and sonnets. He said…" She choked slightly on tears, but continued, her voice cracking painfully. "He said that you would find them enlightening." Sarah held out the book, a thick, old-fashioned, leather-bound edition. "The orchids are at his house. I didn’t want them to get hurt on the ride over."
        "Thank you, Miss Boone. I shall send someone to retrieve them this evening."
        Sarah nodded, then walked slowly away. Da’an was pained by how lonely and upset she appeared, but wanted to allow her the peace she seemed to require. Trying to distract himself from his pain, Da’an looked about the gathering.
        To one side, Lili Marquette, Drs. Belman and Parke, Julie Payton, a friend of Boone whose name Da’an vaguely recalled as Augur, and a tall young man in a military uniform stood in a close, comforting circle. Da’an watched in pain as Sarah silently walked up to the group, touching Augur on the shoulder. He turned to her, and, without a word, wrapped his arms around her delicate frame. As he did, Dr. Parke and Captain Marquette also came forward, laying gentle hands on the small blonde woman’s back and shoulders.
        To another side, Sandoval stood alone, watching the gathering with his usual detached expression. This was the second funeral he’d attended in as many days, and both Boone and Beckett had been lost to the same entity. And, although Captain Marquette had reported Beckett’s death, a body had never been found. Even Sandoval’s motivational imperative could not be strong enough to shield him from such loss, Da’an mused. At least he hoped that it could not.
        "He shall be missed," Sandoval commented, his voice betraying no emotion at all. "Half of DC seems to be here, and Companions and their Protectors from across the world."
        "His memory shall not be forgotten," Da’an agreed. Sandoval nodded shortly, and then turned away quickly. Da’an watched as the Implant retreated to his place beside Boone’s coffin. All is not as it once was with that one, Da’an thought to himself, he is changed. Perhaps by his service to Zo’or. Still, I must keep watch over him now.
      Oblivious to the attention that he had drawn from his former Companion, Sandoval checked his watch, and then cleared his throat. All eyes in the group turned to him. The time had come to lay Boone to rest….

Two months later. 

        Ronald Sandoval had been searching for almost twenty hours. In that time, he’d checked four cave systems, all of them in Ireland. Beckett, where are you hiding? Sandoval thought desperately. It had only been a month since the last time she’d been on the edge of death. Even Sandoval had given her up for gone the last time. When the police found her, she was unconscious but alive, having somehow managed to survive the attack by Ha’gel and find refuge in a dark alley nearby.
        Now if he could just find her before she was lost to him again, this time permanently. She must be climbing somewhere; that’s what she does whenever she needs to think. He was swiftly running out of time. Unless he could find Beckett before her CVI broke down completely, all of this would be wasted. And, his mind added, the only living person who ever cared whether you lived or died will be gone forever.
      Frantically, Sandoval looked over the listings again. There had to be something here, something that would tell him where she was. But there were nine caves left, all in different parts of the globe. He only had time left for one more thorough search. After that, it would be useless. By the time he found her, her injuries would be beyond the healing ability of even the best of the Taelon doctors.
        Suddenly something about the cave system in the Alps caught his attention. The scans he’d run showed deposits of ore. That would shield Beckett’s signal from sensors!
        "Agent Lassiter, take me to these coordinates," he ordered quickly, holding out his global for the agent to see. Lassiter nodded sharply, and set in the flight pattern. When he jumped to inter-dimensional, the agent didn’t say a word. Sandoval nodded to himself, pleased with Lassiter’s logic. At least someone else understood that there was no time to be wasted.

* * *

        A rock was digging into Beckett’s shoulder. Not that it mattered too much, it just added to an already torturous situation.
        In the many battles that she had fought, she thought she had come to understand death and pain. Now, though, she could see that there was no way to understand death unless you were experiencing it, unless you were about to lose your life. And, somehow, falling during a climb just wasn’t the way she’d expected to die.
        Well, Siobhan, I suppose it’s time to see how the Gods judge you, girl. And to hope that they feel you’ve paid your penance with the sentence Ma’el served to you. Beckett shivered, again envisioning all those whose deaths she’d caused over her career as a soldier. I imagine I’ll have some explaining to do, she thought wryly.
        A movement startled her out of her thoughts, jarring the stone beneath her. She opened her eyes to find Liam Kincaid, her defender, untying her from her limp support cables. The whole trial might have been a dream, but Beckett knew better than to doubt what her mind told her. Just because something hadn’t happened in the literal world didn’t mean that it had no bearing on that reality.
        "I knew you’d come," she murmured, hoping against all hope that she was speaking loudly enough for him to hear her. "You believed in me. You defended me, when no one else would…"
        "What do you mean?" He asked. She shook her head weakly, accepting his embrace and reaching up to wrap her arm around his strong shoulder.
        "It doesn’t matter," she reassured him, and then forced her eyes open again, fighting the terrible darkness that threatened to overtake her vision. Not yet, please! I have to tell him. Let me at least do this one thing for all those that I’ve hurt. Gritting her teeth, Beckett forced herself to speak. "You have to fight them, Liam. You have to fight the Companions. Can’t let them turn our world into a killing field…"
        "I won’t," he assured her, "I won’t. I promise. Are you alright?"
        They both knew that it was hopeless. Even without being an Implant himself, Liam had to know that no Implant could survive without their CVI. But for the sake of feelings…
        "I’ll be fine. Just a little bump, that’s all," she told him with a sardonic smile. However hard she tried, though, she couldn’t keep the pain out of her voice. After only an instant of silence, she burst into quiet tears, leaning against Liam for support.
        "I’m not crying for myself," she managed to explain, desperate for him to understand. "I’m crying for the child I’ll never have." Liam seemed to consider this for a moment, and then reached out, taking her hand softly in his.
        Before she could ask him what he was doing, a flood of emotions and images washed over her. They were from him, she realized, and the memories that he was bringing back to her… "You…." Beckett struggled to force the words out, "I understand now." Her son, her own son! And she had never known, until the day that she was to die. Ma’el, she thought, you decided to give me one small reprieve, despite my sentencing. I will die, but my son is at my side…
      Liam blinked away tears, folding her gently into his arms.
        "We didn’t have the time that we should have, while we were here," she told him softly, the knowledge lending her strength. "But you were sent to me when I needed you the most.
        "Look to the stars, my son, if you ever lose your way. I’ll be there, shining a light for you," she murmured, reaching up her hand to stroke his cheek. Even as she felt him nod in return, though, she slipped away, the darkness she’d been fighting off finally clouding her vision, stealing her breath away like a vengeful wind.

* * *

        Up on the ledge above, Sandoval had arrived just in time to watch Kincaid gather Beckett into his arms. Now the young soldier shook her slightly, a look of horror on his face. No, Sandoval thought desperately, not after all that I’ve been through, not after all that she’s been through…No! Not yet, she can’t die now!
        Before, when he realized that he might not make it to her in time he had told himself that, at the very least, she would die with the dignity of having her free will returned to her. And for an instant, it seemed right. Perhaps it was selfish of him to want her to live on. Who could tell if he had reengineered the CVI correctly? Perhaps he would just be returning her to the slavery, the living death of servitude to the Taelons. But now, looking down at her, he found that he wasn’t capable of making the noble decision to let her die in peace. He couldn’t live without her, not after all that he’d already lost, and if he didn’t at least try to save her… It simply wasn’t an option, and that was all.
        Trying to make up for lost time, Sandoval scurried down the wall of the cave and ran to Liam’s side, as the other man was mumbling something over Beckett’s body. Near panic, Sandoval pulled her from Kincaid’s arms, checking along her throat for a pulse as he did. There it was. It was weak, but still steady.
        Biting back angry words to Liam for not checking such a simple thing as a pulse, Sandoval lifted Beckett into his arms and began to climb back up to the waiting shuttle.
        "What are you doing, Sandoval?" Liam shouted, fury evident in his voice.
        "What do you think I’m doing, Major? You forgot to check for a pulse. She’s still alive, or she will be if I can get her to a hospital before her CVI crashes completely."
        "She didn’t want to be re-implanted, Sandoval. She doesn’t want to lose herself again," Kincaid pleaded, "I know that something, somewhere inside of you cares about her, so don’t do this! She wouldn’t want to live the life that they’ve forced her into."
        "I know. Leave it be, Major," Sandoval growled, "I can handle it from here."
        The idea of that little fool leaving Beckett to die, thinking that he knew her better than Sandoval did! Why, he’d only known her for two months. What could he know that could compare to… To what? To the few times the two of you have spoken together? To the fact that you’ve scorned her, ignored her advances, pretended to the best of your abilities that you didn’t care about her? What gives you the right, either?
        I love her, Sandoval thought fiercely, surprising himself with the strength of his emotion, as he strapped her into the bunk in the back of the shuttle. Lassiter, thankfully, started the shuttle without any order from Sandoval, and didn’t say a word when Sandoval refused to leave Beckett’s side for the safety of the passenger seats. That’s all the reason that I need.
        You loved Dee Dee, too, his mind taunted, and look what you did to her.
        That was not me! That was my CVI. I had no control…
        You could have fought it harder, his mind insisted. If you’d really loved her, you would never have been able to put her in that institution. And you would have killed William Boone when he ended her life.
        He didn’t know any better! That was his CVI, too.
        Ah, yes. The CVI. Just like when you had Judson Corr kill his wife, right?
        Shut up! This is not like Dee Dee. I can save Siobhan; I can give her the life that the Taelons stole from her!
        Of course you can. Just like how you saved Dee Dee, right Ron? It was all for her own good…wasn’t it?
        Gritting his teeth, Sandoval forced the internal struggle out of his mind. All that mattered was getting Beckett safely to the hospital.
        Sandoval had been working for nearly a month on reengineering a CVI for himself, one without the motivational imperative. He’d intended to wait another few weeks, and then go in to Dr. Parke to ask her to replace his old CVI with the new one. She would never know that the new implant was altered. Siobhan’s sudden downturn changed all of that.
        As soon as he’d heard that she was missing he had gone to Dr. Parke and ordered her to wait for him at her clinic, with the new CVI for Beckett. And, in a flagrant breach of protocol, he’d not informed Zo’or. Parke wouldn’t say anything unless questioned, he knew. The problem now was making sure that no one else found out before Beckett’s procedure was complete. After that, no one would have any reason to be upset. After all, he wasn’t supposed to survive his re-implantation, and Boone had received the same orders about him as Sandoval had about Beckett. Boone had not been punished when he saved Sandoval, and the same would be true of this. If it worked.
        Upon reaching the hospital he rushed Beckett in to Dr. Parke, and watched as the doctors stabilized her, and then implanted her new CVI.
        "She looks like she’ll make it, but nothing’s certain. If she’s alive in the morning, I’d say it’s likely that she’ll survive. We’ll have to keep her under surveillance until then, though," Parke told him when the procedure was completed. Sandoval nodded. "Would you like to stay with her?" she asked.
        "Yes," Sandoval answered sharply, pulling a chair to the side of her bed.
        "All right. I’ll be back in the morning to see her, and the nurses will be here all night keeping an eye on her readings."
        After Parke and her nurses had left, Sandoval settled in to the chair, reaching out as he did to touch Beckett’s cheek.
        For once, he was glad that she was unconscious. There was no way that he could express the feelings that he had for her. None at all.

* * *

        Deep within Dr. Belman’s clinic, Da’an stood before the dark-haired doctor, his hands constantly moving in discomfort.
        "Surely there is some way in which to induce swifter growth, is there not?" The Taelon asked anxiously.
        Dr. Belman looked curiously at Da’an from her workstation.
        "Da’an, what is it about this project that’s so important to you?" Da’an pondered this for a moment, wondering whether he could trust the doctor with his secret plans.
        "The fetus is not merely an experiment that I am controlling. I am attempting to re-create the body of one who passed into the void recently. I need the body to be fully developed as soon as possible, so that I might transfer his original consciousness back into his body."
        "Don’t Taelons believe that death is not to be feared?" Belman asked, cocking her head slightly. Wracked by emotion, Da’an lost control of his façade for an instant.
        "You are correct. We are taught not to fear the passage to the void, to look at it as an ascension to the next level of our existence. However, when I was held captive by Major Raymond MacIntire, I experienced this passage, and discovered it to be far more… fearful than I had imagined. The person of whom we speak urged me back to this plane. I owe him this." Da’an finished, lost in the memory of that moment, a year ago.
        "Where is his… consciousness now?" Belman asked. Da’an shivered slightly in fear. If Zo’or were to discover my treachery…No. She requires the information, in order to understand the necessity of speed.
      "The consciousness of the one in question is currently residing in a body not his own. He was placed there by Zo’or shortly before his death, by the same method that I will use to return him to his rightful body."
        "And the reason for such a rush?"
        "The body which Zo’or implanted him into is involved in a dangerous experiment. He may not survive for much longer. And certainly if Zo’or is to realize that I have uncovered his deceit, he will eliminate the host body and destroy all evidence of what he has done."
        "You know I could easily check the genetics that I’m working with to find out who this is. Why don’t you save me the time and tell me?"
        Da’an was silent for a long moment. The Human was correct, she could discover his identity with little trouble, but there was still the danger that Zo’or might somehow find out. Carefully weighing the possible dangers, Da’an found no reason not to tell her. If Zo’or is determined to discover his identity, he will find out whether or not I tell the doctor. And her emotional attachment may well cause her further caution.
      "The one whose form you are re-creating is William Boone. Despite what you were told, he was murdered by Zo’or, and I wish to return the life that was stolen from him."
        Belman didn’t say a word, but Da’an could see her conviction in her eyes. For the sake of William Boone, who had saved so many lives, and warmed the hearts of countless others through his presence, she would do this.
        "There is one way that I know of to increase the speed of his development," she finally said. "Taelons all possess a gene that makes you mature very rapidly, and then remain at your mature appearance and physical condition for of the rest of your lives. If I could replicate the gene that causes that kind of growth…"
        "Then Commander Boone would reach his the level of development that the transfer required in less than a week, and full adulthood in a week after that," Da’an finished. "Very well. You will extract the gene from me, and do as you have said."
        Belman nodded, reaching out to take a small needle for extracting DNA samples from the surgical table beside her. Once she had a sample, Da’an turned to leave.
        "Da’an?" Belman called. The Taelon turned to meet her gaze, his eyes wide. "I just wanted to tell you that Will was my friend too. I won’t let Zo’or find out about this." Da’an nodded.
        "Alert me when the development is at the correct point, Doctor. And," he paused for a moment, uncertain of how to express his feelings, "thank you," he finally told her, despite feeling that such simple words were completely inadequate.
        Belman nodded once, and returned to her work, but when the Taelon had left the room she straightened, watching the door where he had left.
        "I hope he knows," she said softly, "what a lucky person Will was to have had such a friend as him." Then, shaking her head softly, she returned to her work.

* * *

        Light. There was a bright light, and warmth. Beckett slowly forced her eyelids to lift, and then immediately squinted them, trying to get used to the light that was filtering through a curtained window. This is what the afterlife looks like? She mentally shook herself. No. But where else could I be? Liam wouldn’t have had my CVI replaced; he knew that I didn’t want… Wait. If I had a motivational imperative, I wouldn’t be able to think that, would I? Of course not. So…
        "Beckett?"
        Someone was speaking to her. A man, his voice low and soft.
        "Siobhan, are you awake?"
        A hand touched her cheek softly, and she forced her eyes to open again, trying to see the face of the figure that knelt beside her bed.
        "Siobhan, it’s me. Are you alright?"
        "Sandoval?" Beckett managed to ask, the weakness of her own voice shocking her. Smiling, Sandoval leaned forward.
        "Yes. It’s me. For a minute I thought that you wouldn’t recognize me."
        "No," she said, "I couldn’t see your face. Where are we?"
        "In the hospital. You had an accident while you were climbing, and your CVI had to be replaced. It had broken down."
        Maybe it was an accident that I don’t have my MI. A fluke of some sort. Or maybe some God or other took pity on me, gave me a second chance…
        "I reengineered your CVI, Siobhan. You don’t have to worry, though. The Taelons will all think that you’re just like any other Implant. You’ll be free."
        "How are you able to do this? Your CVI…"
        "My CVI was breaking down, too. I’ve been free from my Imperative for almost two months, now."
        "And you already replaced your CVI with a new, reengineered one?" Beckett asked. Sandoval shook his head.
        "No, I still have my old CVI. But I’ll have plenty of time to alter another for myself. For some reason my CVI is still functioning, without the Imperative."
        "You gave me the CVI you’d altered for yourself? Why?"
        Sandoval was silent for a moment, trying to put his thoughts into words. He failed miserably. Before he could stop himself, the cold exterior that he had engineered over his adult life slid firmly into place. "I remember what it was like to have my freedom back for a day, and then lose it again when I was re-implanted. I suspected that once you lost your Imperative you would turn on the Taelons, just as I did. We can work together against them."
        Beckett nodded, controlling her expression perfectly, but her heart twisted painfully. I know there’s something inside of him that cares about me, she thought desperately, I’ve seen it in his eyes. But whenever I think I’ve gotten close, he pulls away.
        Maybe that’s my punishment, she thought sardonically. Maybe I’m destined to spend the rest of my life trying to get a reaction out of him, anything that will finally prove that there’s a soul inside his body.
        Or maybe I’m just fooling myself into thinking that he cares.

* * *

        Da’an leaned silently over the small tank, watching as a tiny human being turned slightly within it’s liquid confines. How like Boone, to reenter the world in a manner so like that in which he left it, Da’an mused, remembering the horrible vision of Boone hanging in a tank on the Taelon home-ship, his face, chest and arms torn by debris from an exploding column. If only he can forgive me for taking so long to return him to his life…  
      "Da’an? You wanted to speak with me?"
        Da’an turned quickly to face Captain Marquette, one of Boone’s closest friends while he lived. Surely, if anyone would be willing to assist him in his quest to return Boone to the living, this was the person.
        "Yes. I require your assistance with a very delicate project."
        "Forgive me, Da’an, but wouldn’t Major Kincaid be more suited to helping you?" Marquette asked, her brow furrowing delicately.
        "Not in this instance. I require you, specifically."
        "Okay. What’s the job?"
        Da’an hesitated for a moment, but then pushed forward. "What you see before you is a specially engineered human fetus. I require your help in raising it to its adult form."
        "Da’an, that would take years, I…."
        "Not for this infant. He has been given a Taelon gene that will allow him to grow at a much more efficient rate than that of a typical Human’s growth. He will be fully developed within two weeks."
        "And after that? How long will he live?" Lili asked, touching the tank softly.
        "He will live for at least the normal Human lifespan, and likely for longer than that. His existence will be spent, for the most part, with the appearance of one who is approximately thirty-four."
        "He won’t age?"
        "He will age significantly more slowly than most Humans, but the cells and organs in his body will eventually deteriorate. He will die, but much less soon than he would have if he were allowed to develop naturally."
        "Why are you doing this Da’an?" Lili asked, "I thought that you disagreed with Zo’or’s experiments on Humanity."
        "I do. It is for that exact reason that I have re-created this Human. Zo’or destroyed his natural body and placed his mind in that of another man. I have grown a new body from a sample of his DNA, and will soon be able to restore his original consciousness to his true form."
        "And this Human would be…?"
        "Your former superior, Commander Boone," Da’an told her simply.
        "Zo’or was the one who killed Boone?! And he stole Boone’s mind?! Why?!" Lili yelled, her face contorted in rage.
        "Why he committed this act does not matter. It only matters that we have a way to return Boone’s true existence to him." Da’an said. "You will help me with his care?"
        "Of course. And… when he’s returned to his former appearance, what will we do?"
        "We will return him to his former duties, if he so desires. If he does not, then we may simply allow him to live the life that he chooses." Lili appeared to think about this for a moment.
        "He’ll want to be with you again, Da’an. The bond that he shared with you was one of the most important parts of his life. He wouldn’t want to leave you."
        Da’an was humbled by the thought. Throughout his time on Earth, William Boone had been his protector and friend, and they had often shared moments of closeness that rivaled that which Da’an felt with members of his own race. But to know that the Human felt the same for him was another matter. Da’an was warmed by the thought. It almost made up for his recent discomfort amongst his own people. If I can regain the friendship of Boone, Da’an realized, I would be content to remain an outcast from the others.
      Overcome by emotion, Da’an lay his hands against the tank, closing his eyes to feel the already familiar mind pattern within.
        "I will summon you when the time has arrived, Captain. It will not be long from now," he warned. Marquette nodded and exited the room, leaving Da’an to ponder his deep connection with the being with whom he had shared only a tiny fraction of his life.

* * *

        Da’an summoned Lili to the clinic early the next morning. When she arrived, the Taelon was sitting quietly on one of the chairs, holding a tiny human baby in his arms.
        "Boone?" Lili asked, her voice hushed. Without looking up at her, Da’an nodded.
        The being in his arms was so small and fragile-looking; he could hardly equate it with the tall Human who had served as his Protector. For a moment, he had been certain that this was some sort of error on his part. Perhaps it would not become Boone… But as he looked more closely, he began to see the slightest resemblance. The same brown-red hair and eyes which, despite starting out blue, had changed in their shade until they achieved Boone’s familiar hazel. It was still strange, though.
        "We’ll need to feed him," Belman told Da’an. "With the amount of growing he’ll have to do in the next week, he’ll need plenty of nourishment." Da’an nodded, but was surprised when Belman handed the plastic bottle to him.
        "No, I do not know how…" Da’an began, trying to hand the bottle back. Belman shook her head firmly.
        "Oh, no. I have duties around here. I can’t spend all my time keeping track of him. You’ll have to care for him yourself. I’ll show you how, and you can call me if anything comes up, but you have to deal with this yourself. Consider it a lesson in Human nature."
        Puzzled and worried, Da’an accepted the bottle and allowed Belman to show him how to hold it. After a moment of difficulty, he managed to situate bottle, hands, and infant Boone to the right positions. The child snatched eagerly at the bottle and began to drink furiously.
        "There. Now tilt the bottle up a little….perfect. You don’t want air to get down to where he could suck it in. And make sure that you support his head with your arm," Belman instructed. Finally, satisfied that the Taelon had figured out the technique, Belman left to retrieve some other necessary items for the baby’s care.
        "Captain Marquette," Da’an said softly, "I shall require your assistance in the care of Commander Boone. Although his mind is once again his own, he must mature yet before he can regain full use of it."
        "So he’s back at the operating level that he was at when he was a baby?"
        "Yes. His physical mind is not yet capable of processing the thoughts that his adult mind would have, but his personality, once he reaches maturity, will be the same as the Boone we once knew. Even his memories will come back to him, as he grows."
        Lili nodded, and then frowned. "So he’ll remember all the things that happened to him, once he reaches the relative age at which they happened?"
        "Yes," Da’an answered, "We must take care to comfort him when memories resurface." Shortly before his maturation is complete, he will remember his wife’s death.
      Da’an shook his head slightly. There would be much difficulty for them to face in the week that would pass before Boone was once again his adult self. And, once he arrived at his fully-grown state, they would have to find a way to re-introduce him to his former position.
        Lili reached out to stroke the baby, whom she could not yet think of as Boone, softly on the forehead. She could hardly believe the wonders that she’d seen since her acquaintance with Da’an, but this was certainly the height of them all.

* * *

        "Agent Sandoval."
        Sandoval awoke immediately at the sound of his name, and turned to find Zo’or standing in the doorway to Beckett’s hospital room.
        "Yes Zo’or?" He asked politely, hoping the Companion would leave quickly.
        "Why did you not follow my orders? I ordered you to terminate Lieutenant Beckett."
        "Her CVI hadn’t broken down yet, Zo’or. We were able to save her." Sandoval said flatly, struggling to control his emotions. I can’t allow him to realize that I’m not under my Imperative, he forced himself to remember. He would kill both of us if he found out.
      "That is irrelevant. I gave you an order, and I expect that you will carry it out."
        Quickly, Sandoval fought down his anger. The only way for them to survive this was to convince Zo’or that he had thought of nothing but the one thing that his Imperative would allow him to consider. "I thought only to serve the Companions. I am aware of how difficult it is to find suitable Humans for implantation. Lieutenant Beckett is a faithful servant of the Companions. I thought only to preserve a valuable resource for the Taelons."
        "Are you certain that your decision had nothing to do with Agent Beckett in particular, Agent Sandoval?" Zo’or asked, his voice dripping with danger.
        "What do you mean?" Sandoval asked innocently.
        "I refer to Agent Beckett’s frequent suggestions that the two of you become romantically involved. Perhaps her propositions have had an effect on you."
        "Not at all, Zo’or. I would have acted the same for any injured Taelon agent," Sandoval said calmly. "To do otherwise would be to undermine the will of the Companions."
        Obviously unconvinced, but still somehow appearing triumphant, Zo’or nodded slightly.
        "Indeed," he commented. "I shall require your service at the United Nations office in one hour. Do not delay me." Sandoval nodded, and the Taelon stalked out of the room.
        "He suspects you," Beckette said.
        Sandoval turned to face her. "How long were you awake?"
        "The beginning of the conversation. When I recognized his voice, I made sure not to make any sign that I was conscious." Sandoval nodded, grateful for her presence of mind. "He thinks that I’m a liability now," Beckette added.
        "He has no reason to suspect anything."
        "No," she said firmly, "I think he’s always suspected me of being a loose cannon. I’m lucky that he hasn’t already 'encouraged' my Companion to have me removed."
        "You’ll just have to work hard to trick him now," Sandoval told her. "Unless there are others who have managed to deceive the Taelons, we’re the only people on Earth who have both the access to Taelon information, and the free will to do something with it. We can’t let anything happen to either of us."
        Beckette frowned, too tired to hide her annoyance at his attitude. "Is that all that any of this is to you, Sandoval? Just politics and strategy?"
        "I don’t understand," he said, wrinkling his brow in a concerned manner.
        "The way you talk when you tell me about your plans for the future. I don’t think I’ve ever heard you say anything about your life or your thoughts. Not even since you lost your Motivational Imperative. I don’t know anything more about you than what I got from your dossier. So the implication is that you care more about having a like-minded ally than you do who that person is." There, she thought, I’ve said it. Now he has to face me in the open.
      Beckett was surprised to see Sandoval’s face soften he reached out to take her hand in his own. "No," he told her. "No, that’s not how I feel. I didn’t tell you any more than that when I was an Implant because my Imperative wouldn’t allow me to care. And ever since we both became free, there were more important things to do than to just talk. There will be time for all of that later."
        Beckette shook her head firmly. "Not later. Now. As soon as I’m well again, I’ll be called back to London, and after that we may never see each other again. I care about you, and I need to know if you feel the same. We’ve danced around it too long. Now is the time to know."
        Sandoval pressed his lips together, not knowing what to say. It was hard enough to admit to emotion at all. Especially with all the memory intrusions that kept coming up any time he thought about his personal life. "I don’t think that now is the time," he told her firmly.
        But Beckett was not about to be pushed aside. "No. We’ll talk about it now, Sandoval. We’ve waited too long already."
        Sandoval took a long, deep breath, and then began.
        "It’s hard for me to think about having a relationship with anyone. What happened with Dee Dee, my wife…. I don’t want to repeat it. The only way to ensure that is to avoid contact. Even with someone that I think I could care about," he finished awkwardly.
        Beckett nodded slowly. "I understand your meaning, but your robbing yourself of an important part of life as a human being. Emotions can easily be the only thing to remind us that we’re alive still. If we refuse to enjoy life, why bother living it?" Beckette asked, trying to keep her tone light. She only half succeeded, and some of the pain that she’d so meticulously hidden over the past four years slipped out.
        Sandoval was torn. On the one hand, he could hardly admit to the weakness of being unable to control his emotions. That was one sin that was no longer forgivable. Still, something in what Beckett had said struck a chord with him, and something in her eyes echoed the pain that he’d felt for so long. Perhaps just this one weakness could be allowed…
        "I do care about you, Siobhan," he said gently. "But I can’t… There’s too much to be done. We’re the only people on this world in a position to stand against the Taelons. We can’t become distracted, and we can’t allow our emotions to weaken us. We have to behave with discretion."
        "But we can at least enjoy each other’s company, while we have it," Beckett responded. "And I think you’ll find that having someone to be with strengthens you. For now, we’ll just talk. We have to talk now, so that we can at least have that time together to look back on, when we’re alone." Sandoval thought for a moment, and then nodded.
        "Alright," he said, "but we can’t talk here. Someone might come in on us. Are you well enough to come down to the courtyard?"
        "Of course," Beckett grinned, "If you’ll hand me that robe. I’m not about to wander around the city in my hospital gown."
        Sandoval returned the grin, enjoying the warmth in Beckett’s smile. The slim Irish woman’s attitude always had a way of breaking through his dark mood. Perhaps, in the midst of all the worry of being Zo’or’s right hand, there would be no harm in a little mindless talk. A little bit of affection didn’t have to steal from his devotion to his cause.
        Sandoval helped Beckett into the thick terry cloth robe, and then led her out of her small room and down into the courtyard. He kept his face carefully controlled, and only Beckett herself was aware of the gentle way that his fingers stroked her arm when he helped her to catch her balance.

* * *

        Da’an entered the chamber to find Boone, now wearing the physical appearance of a Human twenty years of age, sleeping quietly. Unwilling to disturb him, Da’an stepped back out of the small bedroom and into his own chamber. Boone’s teenaged years had passed relatively without incident, despite the difficulty of going through what Humans called "puberty" in only two days, as opposed to the years that his body and mind were prepared for.
        Now, though, Boone had finally grown into a form recognizable as his own. His memories were almost completely returned to him, but those that were currently returning troubled him a great deal. He was going through the time in his life where he had been in the S.I. War, and the memories that resurfaced on a daily basis were troubling him greatly. Once, on entering his chamber in the morning, Da’an had discovered the Human writing furiously in a journal. He had said that he didn’t want to forget any of what he was remembering, because it made such a deep impact on him.
        "What have you done?"
        Da’an turned sharply, facing the Taelon who stood just within the chamber doors.
        "That is none of your concern, Zo’or. I have done nothing but to return that which you destroyed out of spite."
        "You dare to countermand my decision? I am the head of the Synod, not you. I decide what is my concern and what is not."
        Da’an glared fiercely at his rival. "Will you stand against me? Do you suppose that the Synod would be pleased if they were to discover that you took the life of an innocent Human?"
        "The damage to the Human’s form was extensive. I was sparing him excessive pain," the other Taelon said, the corners of his lips raising in triumphant smirk. Da’an smiled slightly.
        "Then you should rejoice that I have managed to return him to his life," Da’an told the other. Zo’or’s smirk widened a little bit more.
        "Certainly," he answered confidently, "Now that you shall have no further use for Liam Kincaid, I shall have him reassigned to another Companion."
        Da’an’s mind raced to find a suitable answer. He could not show weakness before Zo’or, but the Companion to the United Nations was making it abundantly clear that his rival would have to pick one or the other. Finally, Da’an decided on the one solution that was truly open to him.
        "Very well, but I hold my right to choose where he goes from here," Da’an told Zo’or firmly. His opponent bowed slightly.
        "Of course."
        With that, the Taelon departed from the room.

* * *

        When Sandoval entered the small hotel room that had been given to Beckett for the remainder of her recovery, the memory of the last time he entered such a room with her flashed into her mind. The night that she had told him about the "security breach." The night when she’d insisted that they were "destined to come together." The night he’d turned her down without a second thought. Not some of the best memories of her life.
        Despite her inner turmoil, Beckette smiled brightly, determined to make a good start to tonight. This time she would do her best to convince him to stay with her. After two years alone, she wasn’t ready to face another night with nothing but her guilty conscious to occupy her mind.
        Oblivious to the resolution his would-be lover had just attained, Ron Sandoval sat down on the edge of her bed. "How are you feeling?" He asked her, his eyes warm. They tended to glow in candlelight, part of Beckett’s mind noticed. She temporarily shook herself from that train of thought, but couldn’t help but smile slightly at the comfort that came from having him nearby.
        "I’m well. And you, Ron?" Beckett asked, deliberately using his first name to remind him that they were no longer on duty, and that no one was around to see them display emotions.
        Sandoval either didn’t catch the subtle hint, or was too uncomfortable with his emotions to respond. "I’m doing fairly well. Zo’or has been watching me, though. I think he might suspect that my CVI isn’t functioning any more. I’d better have a new one put in soon, and make a show out of 'losing my Imperative' so he won’t suspect anything."
        "You don’t think he’ll insist on having the new implant checked, do you?"
        "No. He doesn’t know that it’s possible to alter them, and he certainly wouldn’t suspect a Human of being clever enough to do so. He scolds Da’an frequently for worrying that we might lash out against them if we ever figured out what they are doing to us."
        "Then we’ll have to hope that his arrogance keeps him blinded to what’s going on underneath his nose," Beckette said with a smile, and then took the dangerous step. "Now, you wouldn’t have come all the way here at ten o’clock at night just to make sure that I was feeling well. What is it that you want?"
        Sandoval smiled, a warm smile that lit his normally stony features. Sometimes, Beckett thought, I can see what draws me to him. I only wish that he felt the same amount of attraction to me as I do to him.
      As if in answer to her unspoken thoughts, Sandoval leaned forward slightly to lay his hand on her cheek, stroking her skin softly with his thumb. Closing her eyes, Beckett allowed herself to lean into his touch slightly, completely astonished by his sudden admittance of affection.
        "Siobhan," he whispered, his voice thick with pain, "I wish both of our lives were different. In another time, in another life…it might be easier for me. As it is, though… I seem to have a talent for destroying anyone I feel anything for. I can’t let you be the next victim of that pattern."
        "Sandoval, I can take care of myself. What use is the life that we’ve been given, the freedom that we’ve stolen back, unless we use it? You’re letting them control you, Ron. Even though they don’t have you under their direction any more, they still control your life." She reached up, laying her hand on his and running her fingers softly along the tips of his own. "If you feel nothing for me, then I understand. But I don’t think that’s the case."
        "It isn’t," Sandoval admitted, his voice low, "but that doesn’t change the fact that our being together could destroy both of us. If the Taelons found out, they would immediately realize that we were no longer under their control, and we would either be re-implanted or killed…"
        "I don’t think that’s what any of this is really about," Beckett told him. "I think you’re afraid."
        Sandoval turned away a little, unconsciously twisting the ring on his finger. "I’m afraid that something will happen to you, or that my MI will be replaced and I’ll be forced to betray you, just like I did Dee Dee."
        "There’s nothing we can do about that," Beckett agreed. "The only thing we can do is live our lives, and hope for the best. Besides, my one fear is already coming true.
        "I don’t want to be alone, Ron. I’m tired of it. Ever since my CVI… The MI kept me from having any real relationships, because it kept the Taelons at the top of my agenda. I had short "flings", but I could never keep anyone close to me for long. They would tire of my passion for the Taelons, and they would leave me. And the nightmares… I’ve done a lot of things that I regret, Sandoval. Every night, I see them replayed in my mind, courtesy of my CVI’s perfect memory."
        Beckett bit her lip slightly, trying to keep the tears that she’d hidden for so long from pouring out. She tightened her eyes for a moment, trying to regain control, and was surprised to feel a pair of strong arms slip around her waist, pulling her close against Sandoval’s chest. For a moment, she could only nestle into his arms, desperately pulling the shreds of her control back to her. Then, when the tears subsided, she allowed herself to lean back, looking into his eyes. For once, Sandoval didn’t try to hide the strength of his emotions.
        He leaned forward and kissed her, holding her close in his arms. For a moment, Siobhan forgot all about the Taelons and concentrated only on enjoying this moment that she’d waited so long for. Then, pulling away for an instant, she lay her head on his shoulder.
        "Why don’t we let fate take care of itself for now?" Beckett murmured, nuzzling his ear softly. For once, Ron Sandoval was willing to agree.

* * *

        "So you used samples of my DNA to grow a new body for me, and then took my consciousness out of Lazarus and put it back into my body?"
        "Essentially, yes," Da’an agreed.
        "And Zo’or knows about this?"
        "He was unaware until I had already had your consciousness returned to its proper body. He now knows, though, yes."
        Boone nodded slowly. "So I’ll be returning to my former duties, right?"
        "Yes. My current Protector, Major Kincaid, will be soon departing to service De’ral, the Companion assigned to the continent of Africa. He will be of great assistance to the agents there."
        "What about Captain Marquette? Is there any way that we can return her to working for us, rather than Sandoval and Zo’or?"
        "I am yet uncertain as to how that situation will play out. It is likely that, since you have been returned to me, Zo’or will wish to keep both Agent Sandoval and Captain Marquette in his control. I will attempt to have them returned to me, however."
        The silence that stretched between them now was awkward.
        "When you existed in the form of Lazarus," Da’an said, "you told me that you could forgive me for allowing Zo’or to end your life and then turn you into his servant. Do you still feel thus?"
        "Of course," Boone assured him. "None of this was your fault. You didn’t know that Zo’or would kill me, and you didn’t know about Lazarus until it was too late for that, either. No matter what the rest of your people do, I know that you have our interests in mind." Da’an nodded, but still seemed unsatisfied by this.
        "There will come a time," he told Boone, "when the enemy that the Taelons fear has come, and the end will begin. At that time, you must be willing to fight for your people, as I must for my own."
        "There’s no way that we can fight together?" Boone asked.
        "I will continue to advocate such a solution, but the rest of the Synod is against me. It is unlikely that I will sway a significant portion of them before the time comes. Because of this, I must know that you will protect your people against both my people and our common enemy, and that you will gather others who will assist you in this endeavor. I will be unable to work with you, as I must focus all my energy to protecting the Taelon race from our demise."
        Boone thought carefully over what had just been said. Da’an had hinted that he was aware of Boone’s connections to the Liberation before, but never so openly as now. The Companion was obviously torn between the two cultures.
        "I don’t understand, Da’an. Why won’t the other Taelons agree to work with us against the Jaridians?"
        Da’an held out his hand to Boone.
        "This is not a subject that I may speak to you of," he told Boone, and then smiled his small, mysterious smile. "But none may control with whom I share my thoughts."
        Boone lay his hand on the Taelon’s, pressing palm to palm. Despite his previous experience with such a connection, the flood of imagery and emotions shocked him.
        Their hands touching the first time they connected like this, back when Boone was dreaming of Ma’el. Boone asking what had made Da’an realize that he was the descendant of that ancient Taelon. The painting of the twins that Pike had formed on his cell wall. Da’an’s voice, telling the tale of the twins, whose names were Shaquarava and Umrathama. Liam Kincaid, firing his shaquarava to destroy the Jaridian probe that threatened Da’an. Rho’ha threatening, "The Sleeper comes; embrace the Void!" With the sudden understanding that came from such a joining, Boone felt the answer to his own question.
        "They fear that if our two cultures were to work together as equals, you would lose too many of the remaining members of your species. You, Zo’or, Ne’eg, and Rho’ha made up nearly half of the last generation of Taelons to be born."
        "There were only twelve born at that time, and none since we attained maturity,"
Da’an agreed.
        "So you want us to fight your war for you," Boone thought angrily.
        Da’an winced. "I do not believe this to be the solution. I believe that the only way to save our race is to join it with Humanity, and become as one."
      Immediately, this struck Boone as odd. "But you told me that was what Ha’gel’s people…" the Human trailed off, suddenly realizing what was going on. "You’re the ones who did that, not Ha’gel’s people. You assimilated them into your species after they saved you from extinction."
      Da’an’s mind was silent. Only a sense of anguish and guilt confirmed Boone’s words.
        "Yes," Da’an finally agreed, his thoughts wracked with self-loathing, "I could not tell you when we spoke of this originally. For you to know of our shame…"
      Boone reached out within his mind, trying to comfort his friend. "There’s nothing that you can do about your people’s past. But you can change what they will do in the future."
        "This is why I have advocated a true joining between our cultures. I must prevent my people from taking advantage of another, as we have in the past."

        Without a word, the two friends, so long separated, parted hands and stood watching each other.
        "We’ll work together to stop them," Boone told Da’an softly. Da’an nodded, his eyes closing in pleasure.
        "I have missed you, Commander," Da’an said, his eyes glowing with the warmth that his voice also expressed. Boone smiled.
    "Believe me, it’s good to be back."

 Epilogue: One week later 

        "Sorry you couldn’t stay, Liam. We’ll have to get together some time, to talk."
        "Yes. My father…well, both my fathers, they thought that you were very special."
        Boone smiled at the trust that Liam implied by making that comment. Only Da’an and a few key members of the Resistance knew of Liam’s unique heritage, and telling anyone beyond that small group was a calculated risk for the young man. Liam nodded, smiling awkwardly, and then turned to bid farewell to others who stood around them.
        Off to the side, Beckett and Sandoval stood awkwardly together, bidding carefully spoken farewells.
        "It’s been a pleasure serving with you again, Agent Sandoval," Beckett began, her voice flat and calm. Sandoval nodded. "We’ll be working together again soon."
        "I’m sure," Sandoval agreed, holding out a hand for Beckett to clasp firmly. There was meaning in a touch, Beckett reflected, that could not be spoken out loud. Not in times like these.
        Their time together, she knew, would be short from now on. Meetings arranged in secret whenever they were in the same city, occasional messages sent via their global links when others were not around. Their work would be done in secret, separate from each other, and no one could ever know who it was who did the work that they would do. In the open, they must retain their images as perfectly controlled, emotionless Implants. But they would be together in their hearts, Beckett reminded herself sadly.
        Parting from Sandoval without a word once they were in the open, she walked to the shuttle and joined Liam, sitting behind the pilot. The one secret that she kept from Sandoval was the pact between her and Liam, and their relationship. It would be a mistake for either of them to know of the other’s involvement in the battle against the Taelons. If one was ever captured, it was bad enough that they would be lost. Worse if the other was discovered through their interrogation. Besides, Liam might feel the need to inform those members of the Resistance that he had worked with, such as Marquette. Even more troubles would ensue if that were to occur.
        The thing that mattered was that they were not alone. The Resistance would continue, and the battle for Earth’s people would be won.
        Silently, Beckett closed her eyes and breathed a prayer of thanks to the spirits that had given her a second chance at life. This one, she promised herself, would not be wasted.

~Fin~