Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.

Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.

Title: Trials and Memories
Author: Delma RM

derema@hotmail.com

 

 

Trials and Memories

 

After the Gala:

            Alex sat on Sandoval's bed in an old pair of boxers and a T-shirt. She was exhausted, she hadn't slept any the night before and they were moved into the new place all the next day. She pulled the towel from her head, her hair was wet from the dye, and her new streak had been hidden with a hat all day. He had been so nice to her all day and now, he wanted to talk.

            "So what is it?" she whispered.

            "I don't know. I like to pretend that it never happened to me. It hasn't ever happened since." He sat on the edge of the bed next to her. "Alex, I can't explain it. I don't know why they talk to us. Did you recognize the voices talking to you?"

            She just blinked at him. She hadn't told him what had happened. It happened to him too? "No. They were all strange. I'm scared. I didn't hear them until she left the room, I was alone."

            "You can sleep in here tonight, if you want. I'm going to finish unpacking."

            "Thanks… Uncle Ron… you said 'us'. Why?"

            "You, me, Arabela… Mom."

            "My grandmother too?"

            "No, my grandmother we all called her Mom. She was a special woman, she believed in everything… whether it could be explained or not. Your great-grandmother claimed she could talk back to them."

            "How?"

            "I don't know. You could ask Edana, she learned from Mom. She says she has the 'gift' as well."

            "My grandparents?" Alex was deeply interested now. He pulled out his wallet and lay next to her. She watched him pull out the pictures. One of his parents, another of him and his wife, another of him and Arabela. From a fold in the back of his wallet was a prom picture.

            "Here they are. They didn't believe in any of this stuff, I don't even think I do. Everyone who has ever meant anything to me is in this wallet. I hope I can add more… Will you let me?" Alex fingered the old pictures, she couldn't believe how normal the young man looked, how innocent. He was nothing like the man laying next to her, who was now a cold Implant with rare moments of warmth. "Alex, do us all a favor. Don't tell anyone what happened. Especially not Christopher or Melanie, it can only make matters worse."

            "Alright, Uncle Ron." She lay back and watched him pull suit after dark suit out of his bags and hang them neatly in the closet until she fell asleep. When he had finished, he still couldn't sleep. He picked up his global and sat on the edge of the bed, he tapped it for a minute then opened it and punched a button.

            "HMPF. What?" the irritated voice came over.

            "I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

            "Oh, no, of course not Ron. I'm always awake at… three in the morning."

            "I'm sorry, Erika, go back to sleep. I'll see you tomorrow."

            "NO. You have me up now, so talk."

            "Did I tell you I moved? I was thinking that if everything went smoothly…"

---

The week before the election:

            Alexandria closed her eyes and waited for him to answer. The voice that spoke wasn't her uncle. She thought for a moment that she might have saved the wrong number into the system.

            "Excuse me, but this is a secure line, I don't know how you got this number but please hang up." Alex opened her eyes and stared at the blond woman for a moment. Implant on the neck, a Volunteer probably working for Uncle Ron.

            "Whatever, get your boss on the line."

            "Little girl, get off the line. This is a private number, no little boys here." The woman sneered at her.

            "Listen Blondie. Get Agent Ronald Sandoval on the line now. He's expecting this call."

            "Uh.. wha-"

            "What do you want Alex?" He was somewhere off-screen. Blondie gave him a quizzical look. "Picking them a bit young, eh, Ron?"

            "Just calling to inform you of the up-coming events." She had enjoyed the look on the Volunteer's face when her uncle acknowledged her, but was a little confused by the look she was giving him now.

            "Right. What's on the agenda tonight?"

            "Well, first off, I would like to prove I was talking to you and not some Blonde for hire." Alex saw his right hand grasp the screen and turn it around. "I swear."

            "Alright Alex, but you are calling rather late, the others called me this morning when I was less… busy. Wait." He held up his hand. "Vosser, take care of the arrangements, then come back here."

            "Whatever you say, sir." Erika walked around the desk and was stopped by his hand.

            "Erika… This won't take long." He kissed her gently

            "A-hem. Should I be seeing this?" Alex spoke up. The view spun back around. "Then again, of course you are a busy man, you have people t-- uh, things to do. I'm sorry, it slipped." She gave him an innocent look when he came back in view. "Girlfriend?"

            "What are you calling about?"

            "Alright. First off, that glee club I got forced into, turns out I'm talented or something. I have a recital before Thanksgiving break. If you want to come, bring a date, that's entirely up to you… but I have to know if you are coming and who with so they can get the seating arrangements done."

            "Then save me two seats."

            "And I'm still going to ask your co-workers, just so you know. OH. I can no longer debate with the team."

            "Why not? I thought you were the best there was."

            "I am but my position on certain topics has deemed me controversial and so I cannot debate with the team."

            "Care to tell me why?"

            "Not really. In fact, with the sponsor knowing who you are, it surprised her that I held this particular position on the topic, if that gives you any clue."

            "Ah. I see. You did behave yourself when they told you?"

            "Of course, I'm not totally tactless. So who's Erika?"

            "Excuse me?"

            "I'm curious; girlfriend, coworker, prostitute. If there's a chance I might talk to her again, I would like to know what tone is acceptable."

            "You shouldn't be rude to anyone but well… Vosser is none of your business and you had best forget that you saw her."

            "But-"

            "Alex, please. Don't." His face took on a soft expression that she had seen only once before. She let it go.

            "Well, how is Ms. Mart-- Mrs. Kin- I wish I knew what to call her but… how is she?"

            "Eddy is good… she's happy."

            "And… never mind… I guess you don't want to talk about him. The campus shrink says I need to talk about it but I 'can't remember.'"

            "What did you tell her?"

            "I can't tell him what I 'can't remember.'"

            "Maybe after the election, things will be calmer."

            "Right and we can see who is right after Tuesday. I would vote for Doors and you for Thompson."

            "Possibly."

            "Well that's all the criteria, home, school, extra curricular, and time is up. I'll call back in two weeks."

            "Fine." He twirled his ring absently and stared at the fading image on his screen. He didn't notice Vosser re-enter the office. "How do I tell her?"

            "Tell who what?"

            "Nothing, just thinking out loud."

            "That your daughter?" She asked warily.

            "What? Alex? No. no. I have no children of my own."

---

Halloween Night:

            Liam watched the sonogram video again. It amazed him how tiny the two of them were. A boy and a girl, Park had said. He watched their movements and he let the election slip from his mind for a few brief moments. He laughed when he remembered the scene on the bridge when Edana had started showing. Zo'or had not seen her in some time and he called her on her changed appearance. "If you cannot keep yourself in condition befitting a Companion Agent, Agent Martinez, then I suggest you reconsider your options." It had been meant as a threat and then the insult came out. "You have become slow and loathsome to behold." Edana had not been able to keep her rage in check. "What do you expect from a pregnant woman?? I'm sorry the price of motherhood offends your eyes!" She had waddled off the bridge leaving smirks on the crews' faces. Zo'or had been shocked by the outburst but remained quiet. Liam had left the bridge to find some place to laugh. Then she had gone back, Implant style, and apologized for the passionate fit she had allowed herself to voice. That was probably killing her inside.

            "You're gonna wear that video out." Edana walked around to sit by him on the couch.

            "It's ok, I have copies." He touched the swollen stomach hidden by her office wear. The light tingle in his hands returned. "How's the desk life?"

            "Boring, I almost miss the abductions, explosions and everything else that comes with field duty. At least the election this week will provide some distraction. I just wish I could be at the debate." (door chiming)

            "Sounds like more trick-or-treaters." Liam jumped up and answered the door with a bowl full of candy.

            "Hey! We brought food!" Lili pushed her way in carrying several bags, Will and Augur followed with more.

            "That is a lot of food, Lili. Did you plan on feeding an army?" Edana started to get up.

            "Don't get up. We'll bring the food to you." Lili was almost bouncing around.

            "What is with her?" Liam asked the other men.

            "Well put it this way. I told her that we were going to get together for dinner. She asked if you guys were included and ever since then she has been unbearable. I think she's more excited about the twins than you are." Will pulled an eggroll from a bag and bit it.

            "Not possible but I see… I think." Liam nodded pulling the boxes out of the bag.

            "Well, I don't get to see her everyday like some people." Lili shot back from the couch.

            "When did this change exactly Lili? I mean I recall a time in the recent past when I heard Capt. Marquette say she wouldn't trust Agent Martinez any farther than she could throw her, which was being lenient." Liam leaned on the back of the couch.

            "I heard her say once that if there was anyone she distrusted more than the Taelons and Sandoval… it would have to be Edana." Augur said pulling out a set of chopsticks.

            "Enough. I know what I said, she knows too but, things are different now. While you boys have all the fun… the girls will play." Lili laughed when she saw the look in Edana's eyes. They were both remembering the day they had spent talking about all their male friends while on assignment… in lieu of a baby shower.

            "Watch out men. I know that look. It means they will conspire against us." Will wiped his hands on a napkin.

            "Well let's dig in before it gets cold." Augur gestured to the table covered with food. "And I brought movies. We have the classics, Halloween 1, 2 and H20, Nightmare on Elm Street, the better ones and my personal favorite, The Blair Witch Project."

            After a while they were all laying around the main room of the apartment, stuffed, and in good humor. Liam leaned against the couch on the floor, Edana used his legs for a pillow. Lili lay on the couch. Augur was sprawled on the floor and Will had brought a chair from the dining room. They watched the movies, cracking up at how bad the effects were in seventies, eighties and nineties.

            "I can't believe we loved these movies when we were kids." Edana laughed.

            "So tell us. These kids of yours… two heads? Blue? Mind-readers? What?" Augur asked without even looking away from the screen.

            "According to the good Dr. Park, they appear in every way normal. I think she knows more than she's telling, but she puts me due in January." Edana half-mumbled from her comfortable position.

            "That's the medical opinion… I've felt them, their little minds and little incoherent thoughts. They will be different." Liam said.

            "Well any one of us could have told you that." Lili laughed. "Well, we should be going, still a lot of work to do before the debate."

---

After the State of Emergency was lifted:

            Sandoval paced the small office for several minutes, not even noticing the fine art that filled its walls and shelves. This was very upsetting. He had not heard from Vosser yet and with the accusation Kincaid was making, he hoped that wasn't the reason. There was something else, when Kincaid had handed him the global he could have sworn there was someone whispering in his ear. That was crazy. Tate walked into the office and Sandoval glared at him, it was Tate that had hurried their exit. Tate didn’t want to wait for Erika.

            "Find her." Sandoval said simply. Tate just stared at him with that rock hard gaze but clearly he had no clue what Sandoval was talking about. "If you don't know what I'm talking about, then say so. Don't stare at me like an idiot."

            "Sorry, sir. To whom were you referring?"

            "Vosser, Tate. Find her. If she's alive, I want to see her in this office immediately. Do what you have to; sedate her, shoot her in the leg. Just get her here."

            "And if she's dead?"

            "I want to see the body. If she was a leak, I have ways of making her talk. Just get her here."

            "You realize this is more overtime."

            "Go!"

            He left and Sandoval paced the length of the room. He couldn't believe it when the Major had told him. Then he had heard her voice. He sat with his head in his hands, thinking for hours. (blip)

            "Sandoval."

            "I searched that warehouse downtown. That explosion did a number on that floor but it didn't erase the fact there was a struggle before the explosion. I took the liberty of doing a DNA search. Looks like she was there, but someone got to her before the blast. That's all I found, no body."

            "Good work Tate, and yet this seems a bit soon to be coming to me with any information."

            "All I did was verify the information that the local PD had on the blast."

            "Next time, do your own work." Sandoval snapped the global shut.

            "I lost another one Arabela."

---

After the MNEME crisis:

            Boone relieved Edana of her position in Da'an's chambers and shook his head. He couldn't believe she was still working, she looked about ready to pop. Park had said January but he was sure it would be early December. Things were getting really bizarre. Lili's death had shaken up everyone. Even Sandoval had changed, but not for the better. According to Liam, Sandoval was behind the MNEME deaths. Boone had to admit he had gotten scarier lately.

            "Commander Boone."

            "Yes, Da'an." William pulled himself from his thoughts.

            "I wish to discuss arrangements for the meeting next month."

            "With Doors?"

            "Yes. Originally, it was setup for Zo'or and Mr. Doors, but matters have changed. Zo'or, Ke'ri, Del'an and myself will be in attendance. Mr. Doors and Ms. Palmer are to be there as well. I desire that accommodations for these circumstances be arranged."

            "Will Ke'ri and Del'an have their own Implants?"

            "No, they were not assigned any as they do not often leave the Mothership. I understand that Agent Martinez will not be able to carry out her duties much longer. Will this be a problem?"

            "No, Da'an. I have been expecting her leave for some time now. This conference, where it is to be held?"

            "A new building that Doors International has acquired. It will be soon equipped with the latest in Taelon security systems."

            "In that case I may not need any extra Implants. I will make all the arrangements."

---

            Jonathan Doors stepped into the large building. The Taelon systems were just being installed. Renée turned to him. "They're almost done."

            "When can we test?"

            "Tomorrow night. I'm sure I can arrange for an unsuccessful break in."

            "Good. When do we learn all of its capabilities?"

            "After the initial tests, I'm sure I can do a little rewiring to find any secrets."

            "What would I do without you?"

            "Probably let them take over." She turned and walked off.

---

            "Yo! Martinez!" Boone called into the office.

            "Huh? What?" Her head snapped up.

            "I knew I'd catch you asleep one of these days."

            "Yeah, yeah. What did you need?"  She sat up and stretched.

            "Well you are the architectural wizard… and my next assignment is setting up security at this new building up in Montana."

            "And you want me to look it over before I leave?"

            "Well, if it's not too much trouble."

            "Let's go now. Park doesn't think I should go anywhere in a shuttle, but trust me it's fine."

            "If Doc thinks… no. No. You've got that look again. No."

            "Will, you know if I want to go I will find a way."

            "Why do I get the feeling that I will be blamed for this excursion?"

            "Because I can do no wrong." She smiled and headed out the door. He hung his head then followed. "Besides everyone loves you, you won't get in too much trouble."

---

            They sat in the shuttle in silence awhile. Will could tell she was debating on whether or not to ask him something.

            "Will, can I trust you with something?"

            "You can trust me with anything."

            "There is so much confusion lately. Da'an has been distant, he won't talk to me or Liam. All this stress is going to increase for us once I give birth."

            "What are you saying?"

            "I want you to make me disappear."

            "What?!"

            "My children will not be normal in any way. Most likely they will grow as Liam did, Will, so many people know that I'm pregnant, even Zo'or knows. I cannot go into labor and then act like my children are now relatives or friends that suddenly popped up. I can feel something big coming up, not even Liam can know."

            "I don't know if I can do that for you."

            "I have an idea of how it should go. When I go into labor, you will be the one to take me to the hospital. On the way, we'll get lost. We'll have a safe place somewhere. From there I'll go to another life."

            "How can you talk like this? So far, they have developed normally."

            "So far. That's not a guarantee. If you can set this up, I will be reassured that I am not trapped. Wherever it is you take me to give birth, I will stay there long enough to determine what they are and then make the decision to disappear or not. Do you understand?"

            "What I don't understand is why you aren't telling Liam?"

            "If I disappear and he knows, he will come after me and it will endanger us all. We'll have to fake an accident or something, which is why I need your help. You know the sensitive time we live in. I cannot risk any one finding out."

            "Ed… I'll see what I can do."

            "Thanks Will." The shuttle landed outside the Montana research center.

---

            "Commander Boone, to what do we owe this visit?" Doors greeted them at the entrance.

            "Security. Jonathan Doors, this is Agent Edana Martinez, Da'an's other attaché. We just need to check out the conference area and your security system so that the meeting later on goes smoothly. Taelon orders."

            "Commander… is she?" Doors trying to ask if she was Resistance, without asking of course.

            "Pregnant? Well, obviously, Mr. Doors." Edana looked bored.

            "I didn't realize even the Taelons would force a pregnant woman to work."

            "Stop talking over me, I might be short but I'm not deaf, Mr. Doors. No one forces me to work. I like what I do and I will do it until I am forced to stop. Yes, I have a CVI and yes I know about your… club. Will I tell my boss? Well, I haven't yet."

            "I like her. Why didn't I know about you?"

            "You remember that invitation you got a while back that you didn't RSVP." Boone prodded him.

            "Yeah, someone got married… You and her?"

            "No, This is Mrs. Martinez-Kincaid."

            "Just Martinez, it is the children who will be Martinez-Kincaid."

            "Unbelievable. Then I welcome both of you to my new research facility. Boone, I trust you know where you can and cannot go. By the way, it's good to have you back."

            "Thank you sir." Doors left them to start their examination of the complex. Renée walked in.

            "Renée, what do you know about Da'an's attaché?"

            "Not much. She doesn't seem to be any threat."

            "You know better than that, the biggest threat is always the one you don't expect."

            "All I know is this. A year ago she was brought in over Kincaid's head and held the position ever since. She has a CVI but according to the good doctor, it's a special one."

            "I thought you and Kincaid were getting close?"

            "I don't tell him everything and I know he doesn't tell me everything."

            "Keep an eye on her… and her kids. I want to know everything she knows. The D.C. cell apparently trusts her."

            "I'll do what I can." Renée looked down the hall at her subject.

---

            Dr. Park sat in front of her screen going over all the data she had collected the past summer. She was the only one with any of this information. She delivered the only Kimera/human hybrid and she was determined to deliver the next ones. The specimen she had was insightful but because it no longer retained any living substance, it was of no more use. Liam's blood sample was slightly different to that of the specimen, she wondered what the difference meant.

---

After Sandoval's blackout:

            Chris stuffed his bag, finally a chance to personalize his room. They had spent so much time just getting their things into the new place, there wasn't much time to live in it before boarding school. He heard the knock on the door and called out. "I'll be right there."

            The door opened and Chris was surprised to see the Asst. Dean standing in the doorway.

            "Christopher Escobar?"

            "Yes, sir." Chris dropped his bag.

            "I'm sorry to say that your trip home this weekend is cancelled."

            "Why?"

            "I do not know but your guardian send word to us that he could not take you and your sisters this weekend. He didn't give an explanation, I've already informed Melanie and Alexandria." The dean patted him on the back and left. Chris couldn't believe it, he didn't even call. Something was wrong, he could feel it.

---

            Alex closed her eyes, it wasn't happening again, it wasn’t. It had been brief but she had heard a voice. Then the dean had come by to tell her that the weekend trip they had was cancelled. She tried calling her uncle but she kept getting his voice mail. She was scared and had no one to talk to. She could feel the strength she had regained slipping away. She and Uncle Ron had even gotten back to fighting, he had even gotten scarier. Something was wrong, really wrong.

---

            "You are absolutely certain, that there are no relatives out there somewhere."

            "I told you, my parents are gone and I have never had children… of my own. My sister did leave me her children though."

            "Where's your sister?" Dr. Curzon prodded.

            "Six feet under. My nieces and nephew though? Could they be a match?"

            "Ronald. It would be highly unlikely that your sister would be a match, her children wouldn't have a chance of coming close to that."

            "But you will check?"

            "Yes. No promises."

---

            "Edana!" Liam's head hurt. Sandoval wouldn't tell him anything, and he wanted no one to know he was sick. That on top of the problems with Augur was almost more that he could take. "Hello!"

            He walked through the apartment but she wasn't there. Then he heard laughter in the hall way. Boone's was soon heard over hers. Liam ran and threw open the door and hugged her tight. "Thank God I found you two."

            "What's wrong?"

            "You haven't seen the news?? The Resistance is almost completely destroyed. Every major cell leader was taken."

            "Liam, how did this happen?" Boone shut the door and followed them to the dining table.

            "An A-moralist got Augur to give up Liberation secrets, and create a sim of me setting a rendezvous point. I couldn't warn anyone, and now everyone who trusted me is captured or dead. Boone, you didn't get the message?"

            "No, I had my global turned-off today. I was arranging the security for the conference." Liam's global went off.

            "Dammit! I have to go. Be careful who you speak to."

            "Where are you going? You aren't scheduled for anything right now."

            "I'm… covering for Sandoval."

            "Why? What's wrong?"

            "He's in the hospital… calm down. I don't think it's real bad or else he wouldn't have time to beep me every time he thinks I need to be somewhere. I'll be back later."

---

            Renée typed furiously, this was boring, there had to be something on the woman. Odd combinations of education and self-defense. It was time to hit personal details. Spies were on her pay-roll. This job was too much fun.

---

            "Why am I giving blood?"

            "You are not giving blood, just a sample. It came to our attention that we don't have your type on file. It's policy, and your family has not yet."

            "This is odd." Alex rolled up her sleeve.

---

            "I'm sorry, Ronald. I told you it was unlikely, the closest one, the one I surely thought would match was the 17 year old, Alexandria. It just wasn't a good enough match."

            "So, there's really no hope now."

            "I'm sorry, but until that search of your is done or… or worse, but it's not looking good."

            "Nothing left to do I suppose but wrap up my affairs."

---

            Melanie played in her room, disappointed she couldn't go home but content to be by herself. She poured cups of imaginary tea for three.

            "A cup for Dara, a cup for Daniel and a cup for me. Want some sugar? No? Ok."

            She cocked her head as if listening to someone speak. "No. I want to go home. Why? Uncle Ronny said we could go home this weekend… He's not sick. If he was sick I would make him soup… He is not mean… Dara, please don't be mad."

            Mellie got up and sat on her bed. "Daniel, when can I see you and Dara?"

            Silence filled the room but Mellie heard something. "At Christmas? Where? I hope I can be there."

            She continued to play by herself all afternoon in her dorm room.

---

            "What are you doing here Maj.?"

            "Just making sure I don't get stuck with your job."

            "What? Don't like actual work?" Sandoval slowly sat up.

            "I love what I do, I don't need two jobs. So who's the blood donor?"

            "Excuse me, how do you know about that?"

            "Everyone I know was checked for hemoglobin."

            "I still don't see how that is any of your business… but I have a son."

            "Really?"

            "Apparently so... but I don't know him."

            "Maybe he'll pop up someday… when you least expect it. By the way, you should turn your global back on. I've gotten six calls from Alex demanding to know this and that. I believe Christopher called twice."

            Sandoval shook his head and dismissed Liam.

---

            Renée had more than enough to give Jonathan now. She walked in with her head held high.

            "So you found something on her?"

            "Not just on her, on Liam too."

            "Like what?"

            "Would you believe Liam Kincaid is not Liam Kincaid? He's Ronald Sandoval's son through some alien that was here last year."

            "And?"

            "What do you mean and?? This is big. That Martinez woman is pregnant with his children but they might possibly be Commander Boone's."

            "You haven't told me anything I don't already know, except for that last part."

            "You knew Liam was part Taelon???"

            "He's one-third Kimera. I witnessed his birth. I know that he's married to Martinez and she's having his kids, which is why I want to know all about her. What did you get on her?"

            "Smart ticket, skipped a grade in school, graduated early with a double major in college; architecture and physics, married, widowed, miscarried, physics professor. Volunteered to work for the Taelons, her implant doesn't have a MI. Men in her life; Sandoval, Martinez, um… Smith, and Liam are the ones that stand out. Parents are dead, no siblings. Soon she'll have children of questionable lineage."

            "Like I said, you haven't given me anything that I didn't already know."

            "Give me some time and I'll dig up medical records.. and I'll have possibly made a friend."

            "Go to it."

---

After the Taelonville incident:

            "Hello Ms. Palmer."

            "Please, call me Renée." She held out her hand.

            "What brings you by?" Edana let Renée into the apartment.

            "I heard that you and Liam were about to have some very special children."

            "From whom?" Edana narrowed her eyes.

            "Call it my excellent powers of deduction. Liam told me all about his family and I knew you were married and Jonathan told me you were pregnant, which is quite obvious." Renée helped herself to a seat. "I just figured that since you are no longer working that you might need some company."

            "This doesn't interfere with your job?"

            "I could run that place with my eyes closed. So, Edana, I can call you that right, I have to ask… How much do you know about us?"

            "Plenty. Tell me, why are you really here? It's not to be chummy… Liam tells me about you."

            "Can't put one past you huh? Well, let's just say we look after our own."

            "You want to know if my kids are… unique. Believe me everyone wants to know that. I wish I knew." Suddenly, Edana had an idea. "Let me run an idea past you."

            "Um, sure."

            "I don't know you, I don't even think I can trust you but if half of what Liam tells me is true then you already know everything anyway. A friend and I are working on something, with your skills we could pull it off. I know you'll use it to your advantage but everyday I feel more strongly about this."

            "So, I agree to help and then I hear about this plan right."

            "That's right."

            "I agree."

---

            Renée pulled up a chair next to Jonathan who was going over some files. She slid a disc over to his side of the desk.

            "What's this?"

            "Everything that could be found. Dr. Park needs to up the security in her personal lab."

            "What did you find in the good doctor's lab?" Doors turned to face her. He was definitely interested now.

            "Apparently our mother-to-be miscarried rather recently. I'll bet what she doesn't know is Park kept the fetus." She raised an eyebrow at him. He nodded his approval.

            "I knew there was a reason I kept the woman around."

            "Well, it was mostly human with a few alien tissues that died possibly to lack of energy. With what's on that disc… I think we should be the ones to get our hands on those kids."

            "I agree. Can it be done?"

            "Already a step or two ahead of you. She's trusting me to hide her and the little darlings if it is discovered that they… take after their father."

            "And we won't have to worry about their father?"

            "He doesn't know a thing. Don't worry you don't know a thing, either. If he asks… you don't know."

            "Perfect."

            "My thoughts exactly."

---

After the truth of Pad'ar is revealed:

            "I feel like the past few weeks have been a disaster. The debate, the election, Lili, the skrill incident, dream machines, sick fathers, underwater vessels, more near death experiences, new sports, new races. Doesn't this world ever stop?"

            Liam lay sprawled on Augur's couch. Augur laughed and continued his work at the computer. "Is this big world too much for little Liam to handle?"

            "No, but I hate thinking I'm bringing two more beings into this world. I barely survive out there and I have to teach two more how to do that. It makes my head hurt."

            "Well if they are anything like you… they may survive. If they are anything like Edana… watch out world here they come." Both of them laughed.

            "I see you were talking about me." Edana stepped off the lift and into the underground home. "Good I hope."

            "Of course madam. You are looking lovely this evening." Augur kissed her hand and led her to a chair.

            "Flattery will get you nowhere. But I admit I do look lovely… compared to a whale." Liam hopped over the couch and hugged her.

            "As far as I'm concerned you are the most beautiful woman on this planet." He kissed her.

            "Hey guys! My place remember… single guy, good looks, no girl. I'd appreciate you leaving the married stuff at the door." His screen blipped at him. "You guys lucked out. Belman is in need of my help so I don't have to see this… anymore." He walked off muttering under his breath. "First I start to lose her to her ex-lover, then she dies… and those two are always at it… it's enough to drive a guy insane."

            Augur walked out and Liam turned to Edana.

            "We need to talk about something."

 

To be continued…