Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Rating: PG

Title: Strain
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com

Strain

Edana's living quarters
        Edana sat meditating, reaching out with her mind. Da'an had her trying different methods of astral movement. She had only experienced the one, so she concentrated really hard on expanding her capabilities. So far all the time spent on this endeavor had been wasted. Her mind felt like it was swirling out of her head through her third eye. She pictured herself at the Flat Planet Cafe. She felt like she was floating, the emotions overwhelmed her before she could actually see anything, but she couldn't hear a single thing. The 'vibes' were almost overwhelming. The air was charged with energy. The beat of the music moved through her bones silently but strongly. It took alot of energy to remain this way for long.
        She let herself wander back into familiar territory. She was amazed she could still go there. Edana had thought that the link had been broken when Mom crossed out of the spirit world. All her power was derived from that special woman and now she was no longer there to guide her. That was an odd thing. Mom said she would not leave until Edana had found her match, which Mom said would be a Sandoval. Well, she had crossed over after Edana had reconciled with Liam. Liam was definitely not a Sandoval, although they did seem to act in some of the same ways.
        She cleared her mind and allowed her mind to wander. She felt a mild jolt as she 'collided' with a spirit. It was almost as if she was drawn to this spirit.
        <Hello, are you another dream?> The spirit spoke to her.
        <A dream?> She asked it and then opened her eyes on that plain. She saw a figure of a man with reddish hair.
        <Well this has to be a dream, I have had several and can't seem to wake up. But then I really don't feel like waking up.>

D.C. Embassy
        Da'an sat in his chair. Zo'or was back. Da'an had decided to call to him during the Bliss epidemic, not that it had done much good. It only served to bring Zo'or to Earth instead of keeping him on Taelon. Now Zo'or had Sandoval and Liam at his disposal. Then again, what better position for a spy that right in their midst. Da'an just hoped that Zo'or wouldn't take advantage of Sandoval's new assistant.
   
Augur's underground home
        Augur and Lili were kickin' it on his couch. The two had become much closer after she had become 'infected' with Bliss. The whole ordeal had made Lili realize that she was not invincible. Even the bravest, and most capable soldiers could be brought down. Liam walked in and looked at the two of them sprawled on the couch.
        "Aw. How cute." Liam said and was promptly greeted with a pillow in the face.
        "So what are you guys up to?" Liam tossed the pillow on a chair.
        "Nothin' much. Just relaxin'." Lili said as she rolled onto her back.
        "Relaxing, huh. Would this be because you no longer have to work for Sandoval?"
        "Maybe." She answered with a grin.
        "Whoa, you were fired?" Augur sat up and looked at Lili.
        "Nope. It's been a couple of weeks now, but Lili was traded in for me. She didn't tell you?"
        "No. So... this is good?" Augur asked. He was still confused.
        "Good for me, bad for Liam." Lili said with a smirk.
        "So, who are you working for now?" Augur said looking over at Lili.
        "Agent Martinez." Lili said the name through her teeth.
        "So Liam, you really like this Edana?" Augur asked trying to move on to lighter subjects.
        "Yeah." Liam said with a grin and blushed slightly.
        "So. When am I going to meet her?" Augur said trying to sound like a father but . . . it didn't work.
        "Well, when Lili decides to take us to dinner sometime." Liam said, giving Lili a look.
        "Hey! It's hard for me to get over the fact Sandoval's ex-girlfriend and is sleeping with one of my best friends." Lili said heatedly. Augur's head snapped around to look at Liam, then he gives him an approving look. Liam wasn't as amused.
        "God Lili! I haven't even touched her." Liam said seriously, Lili was surprised.
        "Why not?" Augur blurted then immediately regretted it when Lili punched him. 'Ow' he said rubbing his shoulder.
        "I was warned by Da'an and I promised we would look into matter before anything unfortunate happened."
        "God, Liam. You make it sound like some sort of business matter." Lili said shaking her head.
        "Well, we don't know what'll happen. Edana doesn't know about me and I don't want anything bad to happen to her. We were lucky the first time."
        "Sounds serious." Augur said. "Almost like you're going steady. Have you given her your class ring yet?"
        Liam looked confused. Lili laughed and threw a pillow at Augur. "It's one of those things you had to go to high school for." Augur tried to explain. Liam left shaking his head.
        "So, will you go steady with me?" Augur said with an innocent face.
        "You are too much." She laughed when he feigned heartbreak. 'This is nice.' she thought. She loved it when she and Augur could just mess around like this. They didn't worry about impending doom from either the Taelons or the Resistance. Augur had just been thinking the same thing.
        "So when do you go back to work?"
        "Tomorrow. Agent Martinez gave me the day off. Said she thought I might need an extra day now and then, to make sure I'm up to speed."
        "You softy."
        "Yeah, I know, but it's getting harder to distrust her. I mean, she is being nice but then at the same time . . . "
        "Well, now we must begin cooking you dinner."
        "What for?"
        "So we can nourish our bodies, which is what the consumption of food does."
        "Smartaleck."
        "Well, I am going to cook you dinner and you will eat it."
        "Alright, I suppose it couldn't hurt. So what are we making?"
        "Come on. Let's see what I have for us to make." He stood and reached for her, but he slipped on a pillow on the floor. He fell hard on the floor, both of them laughed. Lili stood and reached out her hand for Augur to take. He grabbed the proffered hand and pulled her down on top of him. They kissed. It hadn't been the first time, but it still came as a surprise when it happened.

Da'an's office
Agent Sandoval stood before Da'an.
        "You wished to see me, Da'an?" Sandoval spoke as he greeted the Taelon.
        "Yes." Da'an stood and walked toward the Agent. "I believe I have some use of you."
        Sandoval remained stoic as the Taelon circled him. Da'an watched Sandoval carefully, looking for signs of flaws. This man was good at covering himself up.
        "When Commander Boone was injured by Ha'gel, there was a search made for his blood type. Was there not?"
        "Yes, Da'an."
        "And I believe that the match was his own blood at a local blood bank."
        "That is correct."
        "Why was this blood not put to use?"
        "By the time the blood was recovered, Com. Boone had been . . . he was dead."
        "What was done with the blood?"
        "It was sent back to the blood bank for storage."
        "How was it there was a ready supply of Com. Boone's blood at the bank?"
        "I was told that Com. Boone gave blood every six months since he had become a policeman. Com. Boone continued to give blood even after becoming a Companion Agent."
        "How was it his blood was still there?"
        "The Taelon arrival has brought an end to the type of diseases that would require blood donors. The blood is kept in case of an accident in which the parties involved are badly injured."
        "And the blood is still usable?"
        "Taelon technology has enhanced our storage capacity and capabilities. Also, Com. Boone had donated blood just a week prior to his death."
        "Where is the blood now?"
        "It is still at the blood bank, frozen until it can be used."
        "Recover it, Agent Sandoval. Do not tell anyone anything about this."
        "Yes, Da'an."
        "You are dismissed." Da'an said stepping back onto his chair. Sandoval knew better than to protest or question at this point. He left the Taelon's office and went to his own. Sandoval walked around his office for a moment and drew his hand across his face. Just then Liam walked in.
        "Da'an said we have an assignment."
        "Yes. Come Major. We have an errand to run." Sandoval buttoned his jacket and walked out of the office. Liam shrugged and followed him.
        Edana walked into Da'an's office.
        "You are ready for today's session?"
        "Yes, Da'an."
        "Then projection has been working."
        "Somewhat. I can see the place and feel the emotions but I can't hear anything."
        "You have said that you can communicate with the dead."
        "Yes . . . Agent Sandoval's grandmother."
        "How are you able to do this?"
        "She was a special woman with many gifts, some of which she has given to me. I can never use them as she did but she helped me after she died to keep my gifts in activity. I heard her whisper in my mind, that's when I knew she was still there."
        "So the human spirit survives death."
        "Um, yes."
        "Has anyone ever returned from . . . this spirit world you speak of?"
        "To my knowledge . . . no. It might be possible though." She put her fingers to her temple. "If a body could be found without a soul."
        "Where could such a body be found?"
        "It has been said that in ancient times, a drifting soul would find a person in a coma of sorts or a stillborn child, one whose parents were trying to revive it. In this way, the soul could regain entry into this world."
        "Very interesting."
        "Why all these strange questions, Da'an?"
        "Forgive me. I am just satisfying my curiosity. Come, let us see how far you have gotten . . . share with me." Da'an said raising his hand to meet hers.

In a car
        "So explain to me why we are in a car instead of a shuttle."
        "Turn right here and make a left at the next light. Where we are going there is no launch pad or room to land, also, I was told not to let anyone know we were coming. Pull over here."
        "Alright. What are we doing at a blood bank?" Sandoval gives Liam a look then gets out of the car.

Sometime later
        Da'an walked around Edana, who sat in the middle of Da'an's audience chamber. Edana was deep in meditation, she was almost in a hypnotic trance. Da'an spoke softly as not to disturb her concentration.
        "Look for me, not my physical body but my energy. Search carefully, there are many energies like mine, I will reach for you also." Da'an turned his head to the side.
        "I can't find any living person, Da'an." Edana sighed. "All I see are the spirits of those beyond life."
She shook herself and came out of her trance. She kept her eyes closed for a moment so she could regain her senses. She didn't see Da'an's pleased expression.

On the Mothership
Zo'or rose from his chair.
        "It has come to my attention that Da'an is sending the two of you on assignment. Is this not true?"
        "No. Zo'or." Sandoval pronounced. Zo'or turned to look at Liam, who was surprised by Sandoval's answer.
        "No, Da'an hasn't ordered us to do anything for him." Liam said looking at Sandoval.
        "Very well. What was the reasoning for your replacing Captain Marquette, Major Kincaid?"
        "I don't know, Zo'or. Da'an just said that we were all in need of a change."
        "You are dismissed Maj." Liam knew that without Da'an around he had better keep his mouth shut. Liam nodded then left the room but paused just outside the entrance.
        "What have you to report about Agent Martinez?" Zo'or spoke as he ascended to his chair.
        "Nothing Zo'or." Sandoval said looking straight ahead.
        "Why have you failed in this endeavor?"
        "There is nothing to find out, Zo'or. Edana Morgan Castro was born in a small town, an only child. She married young, her husband, Mark Martinez, died in the SI War, they had no children, her parents are both dead now. That is all I could find."
        "Once again, Agent Sandoval, you are a disappointment. You have failed me numerous times before. You have not brought me any information that I could not find out for myself. You are dismissed."

        Sandoval left the room with bowed head. Of course that was for Zo'or's benefit, to see his 'whipped lap dog' disheartened at being reprimanded. Liam quickly walked down a side corridor when he heard Sandoval being dismissed. 'Why is Zo'or so interested in Edana?' Liam thought as he made his way to the shuttle. She hadn't come out and told him what the Synod was getting out of her presence with them. Da'an wouldn't tell him either, which was what Liam found strange. Da'an didn't keep secrets from him, until just recently. Now it felt as if everyone had a secret they kept from him, and very few people didn't know about his little secret.

        Liam stepped in front of the shuttle as Sandoval came around the corner. Sandoval boarded the shuttle.
        "Back to Earth, Maj." Sandoval ordered as he buckled himself into the passenger seat.
        "Yes, sir." Liam said as he seated himself at the controls. He moved them out of the shuttle-bay then punched them into ID space. Liam turned slightly.
        "Why didn't you tell Zo'or the truth?" Liam asked.
        "What truth, Maj.?" Sandoval was in no mood for question, then again when was he ever.
        "About Da'an sending us on assignment? Coming out of ID space." Liam then punched them back out of ID space. They circled the Embassy before they landed. Sandoval rose from his seat.
        " Not a word to anyone Major." He walked out into the Embassy.
        "Yes sir." Liam made his way to Da'an's office.

Da'an's office
        "You want me to what?!" Edana looked at Da'an with an expression of shock mixed with horror.
        "Touch those spirits that surround you. Learn about them. The better you are able to control it the more I can understand about this gift of yours, and your capabilities."
        "I was always told not to disturb the dead. Even if there were some that would consider communing with me, what am I looking for? Who am I looking for?"
Da'an gave her a sideways glance and walked in a circle around her.
        "When you can make contact with any random being... please inform me. It will aid us in understanding... Major Kincaid. What brings you here?"
        "I need to talk to you, Da'an." Liam said as he walked into the audience chamber.
        "Agent Martinez, I will see you again tomorrow. Please do as I requested." Edana left at the Taelon's words, but felt uneasy about the way she was being ushered form the room.
        "What is it Liam?" Da'an spoke as he stepped up to sit in his chair.
        "Why am I still stationed with Sandoval?"
        "I would have thought you would have figured that out by this point."
        "Spying on Zo'or."
        "Yes, and Agent Sandoval."
        "He's overridden his CVI."
        "Yes. I know. Did he tell you?"
        "No. I've come to this conclusion on my own."
        "He may become a threat."
        "Then as my first official business as spy. I report that Agent Sandoval lied to Zo'or about you giving us assignments. That was my clue about his CVI. Then Zo'or demanded that Sandoval give his report on Agent Martinez. Again, Sandoval lied and said that there was nothing to find"
        "Very good. I believe we may have an ally in Agent Sandoval instead of an enemy."
        "One question. How did you know that Agent Sandoval had overridden his CVI?"
        "Agent Martinez."
        "How would she know?" He pondered on that for a moment, then he remembered that she and Sandoval were old friends, if anyone would know it would be her.
        "If that is all... you are dismissed." Liam nodded and exited the room.

Augur's place
        "So why are we here?" Lili asked.
        "I know why I'm here. I live here in case you people forgot." Augur said slightly annoyed.
        "What's the matter, Augur? Got a date?" Lili teased the hacker. He gave her his look.
      "When Dr. Belman gets here... well, we don't need her right now." Liam received confused looks from Lili and Augur.
        "Okay, the other day Sandoval and I were ordered by Da'an to run an errand."
        "But Da'an can't order you to do anything anymore."
        "Yeah, well he did. We went to the clinic near the Embassy to pick up files and blood. Want to know whose?" they nodded. "I thought so ... they were William Boone's files and blood."
        "What?!" Lili shouted. Augur was silent but thinking.
        "What does Da'an want with Boone's blood." Augur asked finally.
        "That I don't know. I'm waiting for Dr. Belman to get here." Liam's global went off. He snapped it open.
        "Liam, I can't get away today but I couldn't tell you what Da'an wants with the blood anyway. He had me analyze it to make sure it was still usable, then he took it away to another lab. That's all I could gather for you at this point. Sorry."
        "That's okay. Thanks." Liam snapped the global shut.
        "So what's going on?"
        "I don't know, but Da'an is planning to use it for something. I only wish I knew what for." Liam shrugged and rubbed his palms.
        "You want me to dig around and see what I can find." Augur offered.
        "Yeah, thanks." Augur went to the computer and began typing.
        "Are you gonna tell Jonathan?" Lili asked.
        "No, not until we can find proof of what ever it is Da'an is doing. I never thought I'd have to spy on Da'an."
        "Yeah ,well you could always ask Martinez. She meets with Da'an nearly everyday."
        "Yeah I know, but she doesn't discuss what they do."
        "Maybe there's a link there." Lili said raising an eyebrow at him.
       

In an observation room

Da'an stood observing a laboratory. He turned to a person in a lab coat standing nearby. Dr.Heath stepped forward.
        "You are certain you can recreate the experiment?" The Taelon spoke softly and turned back to the lab.
        "Yes. I replaced all artificial aspects of the host with Human muscle tissue, I used the DNA you provided. This should work."
        "This host will be fully functional?"
        "Yes. It will similar to the original biosurrogates, but to ensure success... we should be allowed to create more than one."
        "How long until completion?" Da'an ignored the request.
        "I estimate two months until ready for transference."
        "Well done." Da'an nodded then walked out, fingers moving as if in anticipation.

 

To be continued....

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hit Counter