Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Rating:
PG.
Title: Resurrection
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com

Authors Notes: This story takes place approximately two months after 'Strain'.

 

"Resurrection"

      Edana stood in the middle of her new apartment, it finally felt like home. Da'an had insisted she move out of the Mothership after Zo'or had returned. Da'an didn't want to chance an interaction of any sort between her and Zo'or. Edana was deep in thought and didn't hear the door open.
        "So... what do you want to do tonight?" Liam asked coming up behind her, he wrapped his arms around her waist. She jumped slightly at his voice, then she smiled and turned to face him.
        "Well, hello there." She reached up and kissed him.
        "Well, what do you want to do?"
        "Oh... I wish I could, but I have an early meeting with Da'an in the morning."
        "What would all these meetings be about, huh?"
        "Wouldn't you like to know? I wish I could say, but you have to go because I need all the rest I can get tonight." Edana pushed Liam to the door.

Augur's place

        "Hurry up! He's coming!"
        "Okay... Where's the candle?"
        "I thought you had it."
        "Oh. There it is." Augur placed a single candle on a cake. "Lights off."
Augur and Lili hid as the lift doors opened. Liam walked out into darkness.
        "Hello! Anybody here?" Liam called out, his voiced activated the computer. Holo-Lili appeared in Marilyn form. She popped out of a cake and began singing Happy Birthday.
        "OW!"
        "There you guys are."
        "Yeah." Augur mumbled coming out rubbing his shoulder.
        "I thought you got rid of all those." Liam gestured to Holo-Lili Monroe.
        "Me too." Lili glared at Augur.
        "So. I forgot one."
        "AUGUR!" Holo-Lili Monroe began her song again accompanied by the beginnings of a strip-tease. Augur typed a few keys and it disappeared.
        "There she's gone."
        "Thank you. Come here Birthday Boy." Lili gave Liam a hug.
        "Yeah, Happy Birthday Man." Augur said turning to the other two.
        "Thanks guys. I almost forgot... Hey! How'd you know I was coming over? I barely decided to, ten minutes ago."
        "I knew you weren't gonna do anything with Martinez tonight... she has a meeting with Da'an in the morning." Lili said then gave Liam a look. "You know, she's been tired alot lately."
        "Hey! Don't look at me like that. I'm not the reason she's tired." Liam responded defensively.
        "Ah-huh. Anyway, we decided to throw you a little party, which we'll start off with a little message from our sponsor." Augur punched a few keys and Jonathan Doors appeared on the screen.
        "Happy birthday, Liam. Whether you want to believe it or not... I'm glad you've made it this far. and I hope you'll stay with us for at least another year. You've done a good job so far leading our cause, I'm glad you accepted the position. Good Luck in your 2nd year." The messaged ended and Doors' face disappeared.
        "Wow." was all Liam could manage as he rubbed his neck.
        "He believes in you Liam, let him." Lili said.
        "Okay. Enough thinking. Let's have some fun." Augur pulled the cake out and set it on a table.

Edana's apartment

She was getting ready for bed when Sandoval called.
        "Hi Ron."
        "Hello."
        "What's up?"
        "I was wondering if you'd like to come over for dinner."
        "I can't... early meeting with Da'an." She shrugged and sighed.
        "You've been meeting with Da'an alot lately. Care to talk about what?"
        "I can't."
        "Come on. You can tell me anything."
        "Can I?" She raised an eyebrow, he nodded. "What about that thing I tried to tell you about a few weeks ago?"
        "I have no idea what you are talking about."
        "Ah-huh. I'm sure."
        "Alright. So maybe I don't want to hear that my child-hood friend, my best friend has fallen for an arrogant Companion Agent reject."
        "Or maybe you're jealous."
        "Ha. Or maybe not."
        "Why do you hate him?" Sandoval didn't respond. She looked at him expectantly. "Well are you going to answer me?"
        "Do you really want one?"
        "Yeah."
        "Alright, the Major is arrogant and has no respect for anyone or anything. I find him extremely irritating and sometimes I wish I could shoot him. How's that for you?"
        "Okay. I guess, although I had hoped you would have an actual problem that could be fixed. The odd thing is that the two of you so more alike that either of you is willing to admit."
        "Really now?"
        "Well for one both of you at some point in time had the good sense to fall for me." She smiled brightly. Sandoval looked annoyed that this point.

Augur's place

The trio sat on Augur's couch eating cake and replaying the video Augur had made of Liam trying to blow out his candle.
        "I still don't think it's that funny." Liam protested as Lili and Augur laughed.
        "Sure it is."
        "How was I supposed to know that it was a trick candle or even what one is?"
        "That's the funny part." Augur insisted.
        "Well, do we have to keep watching it?"
        "OK. Fine, we'll stop." Lili went and pulled the disc out of the player.
        "Thank you... Hey! You're not gonna show that to anyone are you?"
        "Why would we ever want to do something like that for." Augur put on mask of innocence.
        "Come on guys it was bad enough to make me look like an idiot, then you taped it. Now you're gonna show it to people too?"
        "But it was so funny. I mean, you tried so hard to blow out that candle and it wouldn't. And Oh God, when you did blow it out and the look on your face when it came back on..." Lili laughed.
        "Arrgggh." Liam drew his hands across his face.
        "I'm sorry, but there is only one expression that can beat yours. When you were born do you remember solving that Taelon cube? Anyway, Augur had been working on that one for weeks and there you were, hours after birth and you solved it. His face when you handed it back to him almost complete was priceless." Lili laughed some more.
        "My face! What about you?! I wished I would've had a camera that day. The look on your face when he grew into adulthood before your eyes... now that was priceless." He gasped out.
       Liam laughed finally, he remembered the shocked look on Lili's face. She just crossed her arms and sat back. Then both Lili and Augur go into old stories while Liam goes through Augur's music collection. He picked up a disc and turned it over.
        "Hey Augur, what's on this one? There's no label."
        "That's... uh... I don't know... stick it in, we'll find out."

(Now that we've come this far... One more time, sing a song. There's a power in our voices calling proud and strong. Years from now or further down the line, we'll stand and we'll all sing one more time.) Song from Sing!

        "OH my God! You actually have this?!" Lili exclaimed.
        "Yeah. This was my Senior song . I can't believe I still have it."
        "This is... pretty inspirational." Liam commented, as he listened to the words. Lili sniffed a little and they turned to see tears in her eyes.
        "What's wrong?"
       "Nothing... Will used to sing this to himself when he was bored. God, he could never get the words right." She swallowed and smiled weakly. The men nodded their heads. Everyone realized that it was another anniversary of sorts. Of course, Liam didn't feel it the same way Augur and Lili did. He knew Boone only by reputation. Lili and Augur were his friends, both sat in silence for a moment.
        "Well enough of this... if he was here he'd tell us to snap out of it." Lili managed a little laugh.
        "Yeah. You're right." Augur sighed and leaned back on the couch. He produced a bottle from behind the couch and set it upon the table. Then he got up and retrieved three shot glasses.
        "I say we drink to him one last time." Augur poured out the drinks. They all reached forward and took a glass.
        "To the most generous Chief of Police I ever had the pleasure to do business with." Augur raised his shot.
        "The most opinionated Commander of Security and Interspecies Relations. The original thorn in Zo'or's side." Lili raised her shot.
        "Although I never had the chance to meet him... I feel I wouldn't be here today if it hadn't been for William Boone." Liam raised his shot. They all drank.
        "Alright guys... Thanks for the party but I'm beat. I'll see ya'll later." Liam got up and left. Lili sat back on the couch and leaned her head on Augur's shoulder, he wrapped his arm around her shoulder.
        "I guess that wasn't the best way to end his first birthday party, was it?"
        "No, but then I don't think he minded much, he was still upset about the trick candle." Both chuckled. After a while Lili sat up.
        "I should be going." Lili started to get up but Augur stopped her.
        "Stay."
        "No, Augur, I'm not up for it tonight."
        "Up for what? Who said anything about doing anything? Just stay." Lili was still hesitant to even respond. "Come on you might as well. You already keep clothes here."
        "Alright. I'll stay." Lili gave in. She always slept better there anyway.

Somewhere inside D.C. Embassy

        "Are you ready to begin?"
        "Yes but... I know what you want me to do but I don't know why."
        "The reason will come afterward." Da'an answered and Edana sighed.
        "Alright, let's get started."
        "Sit here. If need be you can lie here also." Da'an gestured to a bed in the room. Edana found this a little odd but didn't think much on it. She hopped up on the bed and sat cross-legged. She began her meditation like she had everyday twice a day for the last three months. Concentration on nothing was difficult when there was so much on one's mind. She let herself rise above the physical plane. She opened her eyes on the other plane. Her imagination filled in this world for her, there wasn't really much to see otherwise.
        <Are you there?>
        <Hello Edana! You know... you are the dream I like the best.>
        <Are you ready to wake up?>
        <Wake up? Why? I'm beginning to like it here.>
        <You have to wake up. There is someone waiting for you.>
        <No, I don't. There's no one I care about back there.>
        <There are people who care about you.>
        <Like who?>
        <There is a Major Kincaid who came and took over your position for you. Said that it would be an honor to follow a person such as yourself in protecting the Companions.>
        <I don't know any Major Kincaid.>
        <No? You didn't fight with him in the SI War?>
        <I was the only one in my platoon to make it back alive.>
        <I am sure that this man fought with you.>
        <You know what. I'll wake up, if only to find this person who claims to be something he isn't, that he knows me and broadcasts it.>
        <We have to hurry.>
        <Why the rush?>
        <You still think you're dreaming, don't you?>
        <Yeah, why?>
        <You're not dreaming and it takes alot of energy for me to be here. Come we're going to your body.>
        <Back to my body? I'm not in my body?>
        <Come on. Take my hand.>
        He took her hand and she closed her eyes and concentrated hard. Slowly a room materialized around them. He recognized this place, they were in the Taelon Embassy.
        <One thing about working for the Taelons. You never get bored.>

        She smiled then led him through a door. He panicked for a moment, then realized that they were not tangible. On the other side of the door he looked around and then saw himself lying on a table. Da'an stood near it with a few other people. He didn't recognize anyone else.
        Dr. Heath waited. They were going to activate the body. If they were gonna do it with out transferring a consciousness into the host then why did it matter what time they did it. Da'an was a peculiar being., he looked around the room at empty space and acted as if he saw something. Da'an gestured for them to activate the body. Since he had deviated from the original design, a flash of light or the old way would not work. Dr. Heath would have to 'jump start' the host. The paddles would work to shock the heart and lungs into action. Personally, Dr. Heath didn't think it would work this way... The mind was empty.
        He put the paddles to its chest and punched. 'Okay a heartbeat.' He shocked the host once again and it gasped. Dr. Heath jumped back. The body arched upward and the eyes flew open. Finally, it could breathe. The doctors surround and checked vital signs.
        "Everything seems to be in working order." Dr. Heath was clearly amazed as he turned to look at Da'an. Da'an slowly approached the table.
        "Welcome back, Commander." Boone tried to sit up but was too weak. "When he is stable, implant him with the CVI and skrill that I have provided."
        Da'an left the room. Dr. Heath had questions but he had to make sure his project survived first. 'When was Da'an gonna tell me he had already transferred a consciousness into the host?'
        Da'an walked into the room where he had left Edana. She had just returned to her body and she collapsed. Da'an touched her but she didn't respond. He pushed a button on the wall and a team of meds rushed in and began their work.
        "She's stable! Unconscious but stable!"

 

To Be Continued....