Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Title: Promises
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com
Authors Notes: Special thanks to Mithril for loaning me her word Ka'lin sha.

Promises

        "The prisoners are in the holding cells." Lili reported to Zo`or via datastream.
        "Well done, Capt. I will send someone to interrogate in Agent Sandoval's place." Zo`or nearly smiled as he waved off the datastream. He turned to a Volunteer standing nearby and nodded. The Volunteer quickly exited the room.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "What?!" Liam shouted into his global before remembering where he was. He lowered his voice. "What do you mean they escaped?"
        "Zo`or was sending someone to interrogate and then they were gone. Now we are all on alert."
        "I suppose it's better but... (sigh)"
        "How is everything?"
        "The good doctor is checking them over as we speak."

        Agent Sandoval lay on an examining table out cold. He had only been able to stay awake long enough to change into the gown. Dr. Belman was examining Edana on another table.
        "Does it hurt when I do this?" Edana winced as Dr. Belman touched her ribs. "I'll take that as a yes."
        "Eddy!" Sandoval sat up straight. Edana hopped off the table and rushed to his side.
        "Who's Eddie?" Belman asked.
        "That's me. A nickname I picked up playing with the boys. Ron, I'm right here. I'm fine and you are too. Lay back down." She guided the wide eyed protector back down on the table.
        "Alright here is the deal with the both of you. You both have bruised ribs, nasty bumps on your heads, hands and feet swollen from restrained circulation. I can give you something for the pain but you probably won't need it, your CVIs should take care of it. I would recommend a few days off, at least until you can heal yourselves up. Agreed?"
        "Thank you, Doctor." Sandoval got up to leave and as he was leaving the room, he heard someone clearing their throat.
        "Um, Ron, they haven't perfected the hospital gown yet." Sandoval reached behind him and closed the gaping gown and left.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Edana tossed and turned in her bed. There had been a pain in her lower back all night and it wouldn't go away. She had tried everything and nothing worked. As much as she hated to admit it, she would have to go see a doctor in the morning. Edana finally fell asleep on her couch, watching the rainfall outside her window. The dream came again only slightly different.
The warm embrace, her eyes were closed feeling the strength of the embrace. Then the feeling of closeness was there but the arms were gone. Then she was again exhausted and happy. Two babies were handed to her. She held them closed until the arms took them away. First one and then the other. Her babies were gone.
She had awakened to find it morning and the pain still there. One look at the couch where she lay and she was up, getting ready to see a doctor.

        "What brings you here again, Agent Martinez?" Dr. Park was the only one around in the morning.
        "I'm having a bit of a problem. I've had a pain in my lower back all last night and even now, and this morning I was bleeding. Can you tell me what the problem is?"
        "Lie down and I'll run a scan. Didn't Dr. Belman check you out yesterday?"
        "Yes, but I could account for all the bumps and bruises and didn't feel the need for a full body scan."
        "Ah. I found it. I don't know how to tell you this but... you were pregnant. Two months it looks like."
        "Wait, that isn't possible. I mean, a week at most and surely you wouldn't be able to tell. There's got to be a mistake anyway. I am always careful." Park let it sink in. She knew who the father had to have been. Liam. "Did you say were?"
        "Apparently that's the problem. You got pretty banged up I hear. That would be enough to... I'm sorry. The only thing I can do is remove it." Edana sat up and looked at the screen and knew that it was true. "Your body was rejecting it, that's what the back pain was. Do you want me to call someone?"
        "Uh, no. I guess I should get this over with." Edana lay back on the table.
        "I'll be back with some help. Just lay down for awhile." Dr. Park left, but not before she saved the image to a disc. This would be her one chance to study a hybrid infant.
Edana closed her eyes. 'Miscarriage, again. Why does this happen to me? Liam! What am I going to tell Liam? Do I tell Liam?' It was all confusing to her. 'Two months. How did that happen?'

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Some weeks later...
Boone went through some papers on his desk. One envelope caught his eye and he picked it up. Then he handed it to Edana.
        "What's this?"
        "I assume that you are Agente Martinez. I found it on my desk." She opened it and smiled at the contents. "What is it?"
        "One of the little girls from Texas sent me a letter and a picture." She showed Boone the picture. A bride and groom. She read the letter and laughed. Boone took the letter and tried to read it. He leaned on her desk next to her.
        "This is in Spanish." He said frustrated by the foreign words. He and Edana had been getting along better recently. He handed it back.
        "Liza, that's her name, writes that she enjoyed Da`an's lecture. She still thinks that Major Kincaid is handsome. This is a literal translation, mind you. She hopes that he and I will be happy together and have many beautiful children."
        "You and Kincaid are engaged?"
        "Not to my knowledge. What a sweet little girl." Edana put the picture and letter back in the envelope and put it on her desk. A thought of the baby she might have had crossed her mind. "Well back to work."
        "Thinking about work already?"
        "You miss a few days after being gone for three weeks and you never seem to catch up. I am just trying to stay on top of it all."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Jamison snuck into his apartment. He hadn't dared come back until he was sure they weren't watching for him anymore. His furniture was overturned, papers scattered on the ground. Good thing he was a bachelor and had nothing worth anything in his apartment. He closed the curtains so he could turn on a light.
        "How have you been?" A voice spoke from the shadows of the room.
        "Geez, You tryin to give me a hearttack. Wut do ya wont?" Jamison reach over to turn on a light.
        "I want to know why you failed. You didn't do what you were supposed to. Follow orders. Kidnap the alien and hold him until I called with the order to kill. What did you do? You took Human hostages! They had friends, friends in high places. You allowed your men to be captured by the enemy."
        "We wer attacked, but ar leader sprung us. Ah knew he wuldn't let us stay on that godfersakin ship."
        "Ha! Your leader is weak and a traitor. Your leader was going to let you be tortured on that ship. I also have friends in high places. I got you out."
        "Naw, he wuldn't a dun dat ta us."
        "He did, and he will do it again. Have your people on stand by. I have another mission for you. Wait for my call and remember... this is your last chance." The woman stood and exited the apartment.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "Can you make it?"
        "Yeah but..."
        "Good, just do it and call me when it's done." Lili snapped her global shut. 'Everything is almost ready. Just a few more things left.'

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "Not again." Liam muttered and ran a hand through his hair.
        "Major. I believe you and she had a rather nice time the last time she was here." Sandoval let a small smirk cross his face for an instant.
        "Right and you loved her last visit, too."
        "Well to make up for the last time... Da`an agreed to let Abigail Franklin take a tour of the Embassy, again with unlimited access. I have volunteered you to be tour guide."
Liam just stood there. 'That woman has to die!' he thought to himself. "Yes, sir."
        "Major, I didn't tell her what I saw last time Ms. Franklin was here. I hope there won't be a repeat to report to her."
        "Oh, trust me. I guarantee that I will not allow that to happen again."
        "Good. Ms. Franklin will be here tomorrow."
        "Tomo-, (sigh) yes sir."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "And this is Da`an's audience chamber, he isn't in at the moment but he'll be back before you leave today for the interview." Liam was just going through the motions, he had other things on his mind. He had an idea to cheer up Edana, she had been moping around these past few weeks and she wouldn't tell him why. He had a few things to do and everything would be perfect.
        "So tell me Major, why did you decide to work for the Taelons?" Abby trained her camera on him.
        "Didn't I already answer that question last time?"
        "New interview."
        "Fine. I was following in the footsteps of my dear friend William Boone."
        "Right. I noticed that he is here. How is that possible? I thought he was dead."
        "That is what we all thought. Obviously someone made a mistake. He is alive and well and working for Da`an." Liam wished time would go a little faster. Abby lowered her camera.
        "Why are you giving me the tour and not someone else?" Liam caught what she was insinuating.
        "I was assigned to give you the tour." He rolled his eyes and started walking down the ramp. She followed.
        "Really? How interesting." She had to walk quickly to catch up to him. "So, who else knows about your little secret?"
        "What secret?" Liam had been hoping that this was not going to come up. He just had to play it off. It hadn't been aired so either she made a copy of the footage minus his hands or she deleted it.
        "You know what I'm talking about." She stopped him and let her hand stay on his arm.
        "No. I don't. Please remove your hand."
        "What about what I saw on the Mothership?"
        "Listen, I don't think we're on the same page here. Want to clue me in?" She reached out for his hands.
        "Your hands..." She turned them palm up. "They glowed. I saw them. I have proof-" She stopped. She didn't have proof, she erased it. "So maybe I don't have proof but I know what I saw."
Liam smirked. 'She erased it.' "Glowing hands? Who would believe that?"
        "You're good. You know that?"
        "Listen, let's get this tour over with. I have a life to attend to. The quicker we get done, the sooner I'm out of here." He pulled his hands back and led her to the CA offices. "This is where the Companion Protectors work."
        "You work here?"
        "Yes. This is where the details of Companion security are worked out and planned. This is Commander Boone and Agent Martinez office. They are both Da`an's protectors."
        "Two protectors?"
        "Yes, Agent Martinez fell ill a couple of months ago and that's when we discovered Com. Boone was still alive. Now they are both serving Da`an."
    "Can I get an interview?"
        "If it's convenient for them... sure." Abby walked ahead of Liam into the office, camera on and held in front of her.
        "Hello. My name is Abby Franklin. Have time to answer some questions?" Liam walked in behind her and mouthed over her head. 'I'm sorry.' He shrugged.
        "Um, sure. Have a seat."
        "Thank you. So, Agent Martinez. How long have you been working for the Companions?"
        "How long Maj.? About 10 months."
        "Really? What made you want to serve them?"
        "I was a physics professor when they arrived.  I was trained in Capoeira, a very effective means of defense. About a year ago I decided that this is what I wanted to do."
        "That's interesting. Was it hard to start in?"
        "No. When I started working here, Maj. Kincaid was my assistant and he eased me in very well before he was reassigned. Capt. Marquette is efficient as well, as mine and Com. Boone's assistant. I wouldn't trade her for anyone else."
        "Does this job interfere with your personal life?"
        "No, so far it hasn't."
        "Actually, he has a surprise for her."
        "Does he?" Edana was interested to know what. Abby was bored and moved on to Boone, who was trying to look busy but wasn't really doing anything. Abby began rattling off questions, Boone had been more prominent in the news and she found him more interesting. Liam walked around Edana's desk and sat on the edge.
        "So what is this surprise?"
        "If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise. Just be ready when I come for you tonight."

        "Commander Boone, how is it you have returned to Taelon services? I believe you were reported dead."
        "There was a great big misunderstanding. Someone else's remains were buried in my grave. I was actually in a coma for a year. I am thankful that I am able to serve once again." Boone and Da`an had devised a story to tell the public about his resurfacing after a year.
        "It seems that you are a true hero. An SI War veteran, Police Chief, Commander of Security and Interspecies Relations. I hear you helped with that crisis last year in Lincoln Hills."
        "Yes. I helped develop the vaccine for Human use and well as the form compatible to the Taelons. I wouldn't call myself a hero. I do what I can, whenever I am able."
        "Thank you Com. Boone. Major Kincaid, may we move on?" Abby turned to find him and Edana talking quietly at her desk. Liam stood.
        "I'll pick you up tonight." He guided Abby out of the office as Lili rushed in. 'Thank God I missed that woman.'

        "What were you and Agent Martinez discussing?"
        "Nothing. This is Marie Robinson, she runs security for the Embassy. She makes sure that no threatening objects, packages, or people get into the Embassy. Hello, Marie."
        "Hello Maj."
        "Does that happen often?" Abby trained the camera on the large woman. She looked like she commanded authority.
        "Sometimes. Some people are not as enthusiastic about our Companions. I just ensure that nothing unwanted comes into this facility."
        "Thank you, Ms. Robinson."
        "Thanks Marie, doing a great job." Abby filmed the interior hustle and bustle of the Embassy. Liam just followed her, and greeted the people she caught on film.
        "Maj. Why is it that you flirt with every woman in this place... except for me?"
        "Is that part of the official interview?" Abby lowered the camera and turned to face him.
        "Alright, I'm curious."
        "The answer is I know everyone who works here and am involved at the moment. I am just being friendly. I told you earlier that I have a life to attend to." Just then his global went off. "Da`an is ready for you now."
They began the long walk up to Da`an's audience chamber.
        "So who's the lucky girl?"
        "I'm sure you'll figure it out. Come on, Da`an's waiting."
        "Do I know her?"
        "You met her once."
        "Capt. Marquette?"
        "Nope, this way."
        "Lt. Beckett." Liam stopped in his tracks. He turned and pointed a finger at her.
        "You need to brush up on your facts and tact, Ms. Franklin. Lt. Beckett is dead." Liam had to blink away tears as he turned and continued up the corridor to Da`an's office.
        "You cared for Lt. Beckett?"
        "She was an outstanding Agent. Her memory will be with us forever."
        "I'm sorry. I didn't mean any disrespect."
        "Yeah well..." he stopped. "Here you are. Someone will show you out when your interview is complete. Goodbye Ms. Franklin."
            Abby walked into Da`an's office as Agent Sandoval was coming out. "Major Kincaid."
The Agent called out stopping the younger man from leaving. Liam turned to face him.
        "It will not do to be rude to Ms. Franklin. This is after all, a courtesy for her last visit."
        "Fine. I apologize to you for my behavior." Sandoval wrinkled his brow for a moment, then looked back at Liam. "Did... did anything unofficial get into her interview?'
        "Not unless you count an unfruitful dig into my personal life, then no." Liam smirked. A small smile crossed Sandoval's face for an instant.  Abby stepped forward with her camera aimed at the two men. The sound of her footsteps made them turn, not noticing Lili walking up behind them.
        "Are you ready to go Ms. Franklin?" Lili spoke out startling both men.
        "Yes. Thank you." The women left the men standing in the corridor.
        "Can I get a copy of that."
        "Um. Sure. I'll arrange for you to get one."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

Lili typed on Augur's computer, it was 3 A.M. She pushed a button.
        "Did you get them? I need it soon. Have it ready." She pushed enter and sent her message.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Da`an sat in his chambers. He had noticed the Implants all behaving differently. Da`an observed them each day. The line between who served who was blurring and the three Implants did their best to keep up with both himself and Zo`or. Still Da`an saw them, their emotions projected out to him.
        Boone was happier, it seemed. He had accepted his new life. There was something in his manner that was different than before. Boone talked to Da`an with more ease now than when he was brought back. He seemed to forgive himself and those he held responsible for his wife's death and even those who gave him his new life. Boone and Da`an had a story ready for the public on his reappearance and Boone was given leave to visit his sister and explain what had happened. On the whole... Da`an was satisfied with how well things were turning out.
        Agent Sandoval was also radiating a light. He was peaceful for once and the inner-struggle within had lessened. Whether it was the emergence of his childhood friend or some turning point in his life, it was a welcome change. He behaved more and more like the man Da`an had hired than the cold being he had become since his Implantation.
        Agent Martinez had under-gone a different type of change. Her outward appearance remained the same as ever and so did her ways but.... It was clear she was tormenting herself for something. She had refused an audience with Da`an. He had not spoken to her alone since before their abduction. Da`an wondered what could cause her to torment herself so.
        Perhaps in time all would be right. Da`an knew that was a high expectation given the situation they were in.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Boone sat in the shuttle watching Liam's hands fly over the controls. They were on their way to escort the Irish Companion to the Mothership. Boone pondered, 'I wonder if I could learn to fly one of these things just by watching. Nah, it would just give the Taelons something else for me to do.'
        "That's an interesting ring you're wearing Major." Boone watched as Liam glanced at his hand and shrugged. "Does it have any significance?"
        "Well there are only two of them." Liam took off the ring for Boone to see. Boone took the ring only to have it fall apart in his hand. It was three rings in one. All three were silver, each crafted to fit perfectly with the other two. Atop each ring was a stone carved to fit against the stone on the others. One was blue sapphire, another emerald, and the other a ruby. Boone fitted the rings back together and handed it back to Liam.
        "Where's the other ring?" Liam stiffened and made a gruff sound in his throat.
        "Sitting on Martinez's dresser in the ring box." Boone shut up. Liam didn't sound too happy so it was better to leave the subject alone, especially since Liam had called her Martinez.
Suddenly, Liam punched a few buttons and thrust them out of ID space. He was frantically moving his arms around. "What's wrong?"
        "I don't know. I'm going to land us on that beach down there."

        "Zo`or, we've lost contact with Maj. Kincaid's shuttle. Shall we try to track the vessel by..." The Volunteer took one look at the Taelon and instantly shut her mouth. He stared at her hard. She returned to her station and began running a search. "The shuttle is approaching Ireland, sir."
She punched a few buttons and the datastream appeared showing the shuttle via satellite enhancement. She made several efforts to make contact with the shuttle before it exploded while all the crew on the Mothership watched. Zo`or closed his eyes and looked at his attache. "Where were they headed?"
        "They were to escort the Irish Companion for the meeting with you." Sandoval opened his global and punched a few keys. "They had not completed the journey to retrieve him. Shall I initiate a search?"
        "Did we not all see them destroyed?" If all went as planned as obviously it had... there would be not much to find.
        "But Zo`or..."
        "Agent Sandoval. Please inform Da`an of the events that transpired." Zo`or dismissed Sandoval by turning back to the bridge. Those two were out of his way permanently.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Liam dragged himself on the beach spitting out water. His arms and legs burned, the explosion had thrown him farther from land than he would have liked. He turned as Boone too dragged himself out of the water avoiding the smoldering debris from the shuttle. At least they had the foresight to abandon the shuttle just before it exploded.
        "Who do you think did it?"
        "Did what?" Boone turned and coughed spewing water on the ground.
        "Sabotaged the shuttle. Last time I could swear it was Doors, Zo`or hates me, and Sandoval wouldn't mind if I disappeared."
        "That many people hate you? Good, either we'll be best friends or a death wish unto the other."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Edana sat on her bed staring at the box on her dresser. She would not open it, she didn't know if she could go through it all again. He had only said to wear it as a promise, nothing more. Liam was so strange sometimes but he didn't want an answer as to whether or not she would wear it, not right away anyway. At least he didn't expect her to drop everything and marry him or something. 'Promise me that you will be there for how ever long fate decides and I will do the same.' He had sounded so sad when he had said it. He made her feel bad, especially since she noticed he was wearing a ring identical to the one he gave her. 'If you promise, then wear it.'
        Edana got up to look at it. It was beautiful. She turned it over in her hands and noticed the small clasps on the ring. The ring fell into its three parts, she put them back together. Once she had she looked at the inside of the ring. There was a symbol made when the rings were in place. It looked like Taelon but she couldn't read Eunoia. In English letters was inscribed Ka'lin sha. 'What does that mean?'
Her global went off. Without thinking, she slipped the ring on so she could answer it.
        "Something's happened. Come to the Embassy immediately." Edana snapped the global shut and rushed out the door.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "So, is- are they dead?" Edana tried to keep her emotions in check.
        "I am sorry but it appears so." Da`an blushed. His Implant and his friend were gone. It didn't feel real but everyone on the Mothership had seen it happen. "The shuttle exploded on Ireland's shores. There has been no evidence of survivors."
        Da`an's remaining Implant remained stoic. Her new friend and her mate were gone and yet she played her part well. Da`an paced a bit waiting for her to respond, which she didn't. He felt her inner pain, though, it radiated through the room. Strangely, although he knew Liam to be dead, he had not felt the release in the Commonality. He had felt Liam's presence shortly after Ha`gel embraced the void, but did not feel the presence release. Perhaps, his link was too weak and could not announce his departure.
        "Come Agent Martinez, share with me. I cannot feel as you do but grief is not to be had alone." Da`an offered his hand to her. After a little hesitation, she accepted the proffered hand. She initiated the sharing. Edana saw the pain that Da`an had felt when he had left his home world, when his life-mate joined the void. The awe of coming to Earth, and again pain at observing the changes in his first Implant, and learning of Boone's first death. His uncertainty about the deaths of Liam and Boone.
Da`an peered into her. This one had seen many deaths of those closest to her. Parents, grandparents, the one she called Mom. Her husband and their unborn child. There was more but she kept it from him, keeping her secrets just beyond his reach. Edana had become an expert at controlling what she was able of her mind. She used what she could very well. He tried once more, her barriers went down. She had lost another child, Liam's child. Da`an was stunned by this. Edana had not told him and had been blaming herself for the incident.
        Edana broke the contact. Tears filled her eyes and she left the office. Da`an had learned the cause for her recent upset. Determined not to cry in the presence of others she rushed down to her office avoiding the stares of others. She yanked open the door to her office and bumped into Sandoval on his way out. One look at her and he pulled her into the office and shut the door.
        "Ron, please. I need to be alone." She sank into her chair and closed her eyes. Sandoval closed the blinds that covered the window in her office.
        "I take, you were informed of what happened today." He walked over to her. She nodded and turned away from him.  He reached for her. "Eddy."
        "Don't touch me. Everyone who touches me, dies." He turned her chair so she faced him. She absently twisted the ring around on her finger.
        "I don't mind. I don't have much to live for and there's nothing else on my schedule for today." She looked at him and blinked, then she grinned weakly.
        "Thank you but... I can't be around people right now."
        "Shh." Sandoval hugged her and she broke down. She couldn't hold it in any longer.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "So how far is it to the nearest town?" Boone dropped a bunch of sticks and leaves into the clearing.
        "Uh... I'm not exactly sure but we should reach it by midday tomorrow. That's normal walking though... My arms and legs are still killing me." Liam looked around for rocks or something to start the fire.
        "Your global doesn't work either?" Boone removed his shirt and wrung it out yet again, it still felt just as wet as when he pulled himself out of the water.
        "No, it must have been in the water too long. I haven't got anything but static. At least we can make a phone call when we get into town."
        "How do you know how long and far? I believe you are supposed to be American." Liam stood and walked around the clearing.
        "I, uh. My mother was Irish." Liam finished quickly. He still didn't think he could tell Boone his secret. The fewer people who knew the better.
        "Was?" Boone searched his pockets for matches. Nope, they'd be wet if he had them anyway.
        "She died, a year ago next week." Boone nodded and got up.
        "I'm gonna go find some drier sticks." Liam just stared at the mound before him. As soon as he heard Boone footsteps fade, Liam raised his hands before him. He sent a flash into the pile, it sparked, then blazed and then died down. Boone was watching from the rock he had climbed up on to see the hills around them. He couldn't believe what he had just seen. Da`an had called it shaquarava, that's what Pike had talked about. Who or what was Liam anyway? This would be one interesting trip.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Sandoval took his usual position beside Zo`or during his meeting with the Irish Companion.
        "I demand more security. I do not have competent Implants any longer. The best one I had is dead."
        "You are in no position to demand anything. I will deliver what I see fit. Is there some reason to require extra security?" Zo`or was tiring of his elder's complaints. They did not trust Humanity any more than he did, as well it should be. His companion remained silent. "This is as I thought. Re-Implant your own with the third-class CVI. It will ensure loyalty and efficiency."
        Zo`or turned away to look over the Volunteers on the bridge. The other Taelon nodded and exited the bridge.
        "Perhaps, I should have you re-Implanted Agent Sandoval."
        "Have I displeased you with my service Zo`or?" 'Play the part, play the part.' It was becoming harder to do the more Sandoval pulled himself from his Imperative. Zo`or remained silent, refusing to answer the question. Sandoval would have to watch himself, and be more careful. Zo`or dismissed him.
Sandoval thought of the irony when he found Lili. She was standing by her shuttle ready to fly him back to Earth. Neither said a word until the flight was complete. As he stepped down from the shuttle he handed Lili a disc.
        "See what you can do with this, Capt." Then he walked into the Embassy.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Augur went over the data with a 'fine tooth comb'. That was actually what he called the program that searched for minor details in foreign programs.
        "From I can tell this is a maintenance file. It lists all the shuttle codes and when they are scheduled for tune ups."
        "Why would Sandoval give me the mechanics list?"
        "Well, I did have to use Liam's security codes to get in. Why would these files be coded? Unless...          "Augur started typing away. Lili hovered over his shoulder trying to see what he was doing. He typed too fast for her to tell anything. "You see I don't believe your story that Liam and Boone are dead because their shuttle exploded. Those two are hard to kill and they wouldn't let themselves get blown up."
        Lili looked at him, her eyes pained. She didn't want to accept it but she had seen the visual herself. She hadn't seen any chutes or bodies.....
        "See, here. Liam's shuttle was just checked out day before last and it says that Volunteer Smith did it, but this here says Volunteer Smith wasn't in shuttle bay that day. I think that someone rigged that shuttle to explode before it could reach Ireland."
        "But who would do that?"
        "Sandoval?"
        "But he's the one who gave me the disc. Why would he do something like this and then give me the evidence?" She raised her eyebrows at him. He thought for a moment.
        "Of course there's always Zo`or."
        "But he always uses Sandoval to do the dirty work."
        "Maybe he didn't this time and Sandoval's jealous." Lili smacked him. In her mind, she thought about the promise she had made to Beckett. She had failed to protect Liam. Boone was gone again. If they had survived they would have contacted someone.
        "Look here's something else. There's a signal emanating from the Mothership. It's aimed into the Northern hemisphere... to Ireland."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "How much farther?" Boone sat on a rock, his legs still ached. Liam stopped and looked around. They had been walking all morning. Oddly, no search party had come for them, no helicopters even seemed interested in the wreckage.
        "At the rate we're going... we'll be lucky to be there by nightfall."
        "That's great. Did you notice the lack of notice that our crash got?"
        "Yeah... pick an enemy, they've got friends." Liam sat down next to Boone. The both of them were wrinkled, dirty, and in need of a shave.
        "Another thing I noticed... you started the fire last night, but without matches. Care to explain?"
        "Sticks and rocks."
        "That's not what I saw. Repeat. Care to explain." Boone turned on Liam. "Look. I am not exactly thrilled to be left in the dark about whatever the hell you are. I know what I saw and I want an explanation."
        "Then let's go. It's a really long story and a even longer walk." Liam stood. He knew this day would come soon enough. 'It's good practice, one down, two to go.'

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Sandoval stood in his office. This matter was being handled very badly. Zo`or had sent a crew of Volunteers to clear the wreckage. No statement had been made to the Irish government about the crash. No investigation as to why the shuttle went down. Somehow, it had been kept out of the papers... like it never happened. As much as he hated to admit it, he would actually miss his assistant. Liam had grown on him. He was efficient enough and cunning enough to get them out of most situations. There was always something that bothered him about Liam, though. Liam's willingness to accept illogical explanations and his habit to appear in suspicious situations and have seemingly simple explanations for his presence or lack thereof.
        Sandoval had given Lili a disc with a lot of information he found in Zo`or's files. It was curious but rather than get caught with it, he gave it to her. Lili's ties with secretive people had helped her before. With any luck, they would help her figure out what exactly was going on. He pulled out his pocket-watch, surely she would have found something by now. If Zo`or was threatening to have him replaced, or worse, re-Implanted, he wanted to do something to prevent it. Just then his videolink turned on.
        "Sandoval."
        "Marquette, here." As usual her signal was scrambled and there was no picture. "I found some interesting details I thought you might find useful. There's a signal emanating from the Mothership, two actually. It's blocking global link signals, also... Maj. Kincaid's shuttle was serviced day before last but oddly enough, the Volunteer that serviced it was not in the shuttlebay that day. There is no search in progress, but I would recommend an aerial search for the bodies, provided they aren't at the bottom of the ocean, they will turn up."
        "Well done Capt. Thank you." Sandoval signed off. Her friend must have the security codes, he'd have to change them again.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "I'm supposed to believe all that. Granted, it does make a lot of sense now but..."
        "Why would I make up a story like that? You're the one that wanted an explanation." They had been walking all day. Hungry tired and now Liam had a headache. He had other things on his mind.          "Let's hurry. I want a shower. Another hour or so and we'll be able to see the town, there's a road over there-" (WHOOSH) The sound of a shuttle overhead, stopped them both. Boone raised his arm and fired his skrill into the air. The shuttle circled then landed in the road. Boone and Liam watched as it opened and a figure got out and walked toward them.
        "Who would have thought I would actually be glad to see him?" Boone looked and Liam and smiled. "Time to go home."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        "When did they arrive?" Da`an rushed down the corridor. Lili walked beside him.
        "Just a few moments ago. Da`an, we discovered a signal that was blocking their globals from sending any sort of  message for help. It was coming from the Mothership." Da`an stopped at looked at her. He blushed and looked away.
        "You have proof?" Lili held a disc out to him. "Thank you. This will prove useful."
Lili nodded as he took it from her. Da`an kept walking to Dr. Belman's clinic. The doctor was trying to examine her uncooperative patients. They kept insisting that nothing was wrong. They were still arguing with her when Da`an and Lili entered the room.
        "What is with you Companion Agents? I haven't been able to check anyone over in years."
        "Da`an." Liam jumped off the examining table, clutching his gown behind him. Boone had already escaped Belman and emerged fully dressed and clean from another room.
        "I am pleased to see for myself that you two have survived. We all believed that you were... Many people will also be pleased to you again." Da`an's hands were fidgeting rapidly. Oddly enough the disc he'd gotten from Lili was not in them. "What happened?"
        "Our shuttle malfunctioned just before we reached Ireland. I could not get any of the systems online, we were able to break the glass and jump before it exploded." Liam backed his way to the adjoining room.
        "The Major seems to think that the shuttle was sabotaged." Boone added. Lili looked at Da`an. He gave nothing away.
        "I will have this investigated." Da`an, satisfied with the safety of Boone and Liam, left. Lili went in and hugged Boone.
        "Thought I lost you again."
        "Come on, we'll get jr. and grab something to eat. Condor will not wait another minute."
        "He told you?" Lili was more than a bit surprised. Liam had a new policy. No one knows anything. His identity was to be kept from everyone not involved directly, that way if anyone is caught, they know nothing. The people who do know were becoming fewer as they either died or were disappeared.
        "Let's just say I caught him." Boone gave her a smirk.
        "Will, I think that he has to go talk to someone. We all thought you were dead until Sandoval brought you back. Listen, Augur called me awhile ago. They found Jamison and half his crew... dead in a warehouse."

* * * * * * * * * * * *

        Edana lay on her couch in the dark. It was raining again and the windows were open. It was quiet except for the sound of the rain on the windows, her radio was off for once. She didn't hear the door when it opened. She just lay there watching the rain hit the floor creating pools. She heard the footsteps and sat up. Edana reached for her gun underneath the cushion. The footsteps stopped near her. She whirled around and pointed the gun at her intruder. Almost immediately, she dropped it and lifted her hands to her face. 'No. It can't be. I'm dreaming.'
        "Edana..." Liam stepped toward her.
        "They said you were dead." She walked around the couch slowly. She raised her hand to touch his face. He closed his eyes and tears flowed from hers.
        "I promised I would be here." He whispered to her and pulled her close. She wrapped her arms around him and held him tight.
        "Just promise me that you will never die on me again." She leaned back to see his face. He dropped down so they were on eye level.
        "I promise." Liam had no intention on ever dying while she was alive.
        "I do too." Somehow even with the words out, something wasn't right. "I won't leave you, I promise."


To be Continued...