Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Title:
Back to Normal?
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com

Back to Normal?

"Well it's about time. What took you so long?"
"Your closet isn't the most organized of places." Edana took the bag from Liam. It was time for her to leave. Dr. Belman had observed for a week and now it was finally time for her to go home. Liam had gotten  her some clothes from her apartment. 'My God... What was he thinking?'
"Liam... Have you any idea how cold it is outside?"
"Yeah, it's pretty cold, why? How would you know?"
"'Cause I've been in here watching the weather channel for a week. What made you think to bring my sun dress? I can't wear this." She held up the flimsy garment to show him how stupid it was. The real reason was he took so long was that he had been going over the security tapes with Dr. Belman. It had been Liam that had brought her out. They weren't sure of the side effects. He was going to have to tell her sometime soon.
Lili walked in. She glanced at the dress in Edana's hand.
"I guess you're not ready to go. Liam, you brought her a sun dress?? Shame on you, you know how cold it is outside."
"I'm sorry. I'll go back and get her something else to wear."
"No, give me that key. I'll go back and get her something to wear and you will stay here and make nice." Lili started out the door.
"Wait. I need underclothes, too... somebody forgot them or did you think I wouldn't need them." Edana tossed the bag to Lili, who caught it and left. Edana rose from the bed and started to walk around and then remembered the gaping hole in her hospital gown.
"Do you feel well enough to leave?"
"I have been ready to go for a week now. I have had nothing to do but give blood and going in cups. There is nothing wrong with me." 'Then why do I feel so different?'
"Dr. Belman is just making sure that there is absolutely nothing wrong."

********

"When will your Implant return to your service?" Zo`or spoke from his seat aboard the Mothership.
"When Dr. Belman has decided that it is safe to do so. Do you desire your Implant and his assistant return to you? If this is so, I can locate a replacement."
"So be it. Find your replacement and bring such person before me for approval. You still do not speak of the reason your Implant was hospitalized."
"That has yet to be ascertained. She appears to have partial amnesia." Da`an was not going to tell him, just yet.
"I am told that you witnessed the event."
"Do you now listen to idle talk? I know not of the event that transpired to my Implant."

********

"Stay with me."
"I can't, I still have work to do. Sandoval has a mountain of paperwork for me to catch up on."
"Aww. Well come over later and I'll make you dinner."
"How about I make the dinner? I'll be over as soon as Sandoval will let me go."
"Fine." Edana didn't understand why everyone treated her like an invalid. She was fully ready to go back to work but Dr. Belman wanted to study the results of the many tests a while longer. Liam left her alone in her apartment. Home. It felt nice to he home again. Edana turned on her radio full blast, there had been a week's worth of silence, she couldn't take it anymore. The Oldies station, that sounded strange to her because she had grown up listening to the music that played on that station. *We can't afford to be innocent/Stand up and face the enemy/It's a do or die situation/We will be invincible* Pat Benatar was great, very powerful music. Edana sat cross-legged on the floor and closed her eyes.
There was something different now. Edana couldn't describe it. Ever since she had awakened one week ago, she felt more aware. This was not the same as being Implanted. Her thoughts were clearer and she understood more. Whatever had happened had opened up her mind. There were instincts that she never knew she had. Even now she didn't realize how she swayed with the music. The song ended and she opened her eyes to see the floor inches from her nose. 'When did I lean over?'

********

"Back to Taelon Basics 101, will now begin again. Are you ready?" Augur was attempting for the third time to catch Boone up on a years worth of Taelon plots. The first two times Boone had just waved him off, he wasn't ready to get into all that yet. "Any questions first?"
"What is this probe I hear about? I thought we blew that thing up." Boone walked over and sat in front on the computer screen.
"Yeah we did but Rayna came out of the probe right. Then she turned on us and had to be destroyed again. Then there was a second probe that threatened to turn all the Taelons on Earth into an army of Atavi."
"Ata-whats?"
"When a Taelon is cut off from the Commonality, he reverts into his most primitive state, called an Atavus. They're like vampires except no teeth, shaquarava, and much more. Nasty. Very bad."
"Okay, how do we know this?"
"Da`an reverted into one when... well, let's just say it was an accident."
"Uh-huh, so how was Da`an rejoined to the Commonality?"
"Uh... well, the same way the probe was destroyed." Boone looked utterly confused. Lili walked in behind them.
"What's this? Our old Taelon files?" She leaned over Boone to see the screen.
"Yeah, Augur is giving me a crash course in the past year."
"Let him read." Augur led Lili away from Boone. "You know, it's hard to explain this stuff to him without telling about Liam. Why is it we can't tell him about Liam anyway?"
"It would be too much for him. I mean waking up to find out you were dead for a year is bad enough... but to find out that the hybrid son of the one that killed you is running around in charge of things-"
"Done." Boone's voice interrupted their conversation. Augur tossed him another disc. Boone caught it and popped in.
"I almost forgot about that thing in your head. That disc has interoffice something or other. Liam brought for you to go over. I guess it has something to do with all the stuff in the Embassy."
"Does that mean I get to go back to work?"
"Yeah, at least for now you'll be a replacement." Lili explained.
"Replacement?"
"Agent Martinez is not going to be working until Belman clears her."
"How am I gonna get around Zo`or?"
"Da`an has that part figured out already, so I suggest you hurry and learn all this stuff, Da`an has a meeting tomorrow evening with Zo`or."

********

Next Evening
Zo`or sat on the bridge. Da`an was to bring his candidate for his new protector. Zo`or grew steadily impatient, his fingers fidgeted rapidly. He had already planned to deny whomever was brought in. He planned to broadcast this meeting to the Synod via datastream. Da`an walked onto the bridge followed by a man who stopped just inside the entrance, outside of Zo`or's view. Agent Sandoval readied himself to fire. He stood next to Zo`or, his right hand on his left wrist.
"Well. Who is this candidate?"
"Before I introduce him, let me present his profile. He is a decorated war veteran, a former chief of police. He has already received both a CVI and a skrill-"
"Who authorized his implantation??" Zo`or cut in.
"Quo`on." Da`an replied coolly.
"How is that possible?" Zo`or narrowed his eyes.
"Commander. Please step forward." Boone stepped into view, with a smirk on his face. Zo`or blushed blue, which lasted several minutes. Sandoval nearly fell forward, but recovered quickly.
"How? There has not been any experiment approved to do this."
"I believe that my biosurrogate program was never officially canceled, there was a lack of information to continue the process. I do have the authority to choose my own protectors do I not?"
"Of course, but an experiment..."
"He is... Human. Commander Boone is with us once again, and he should retake his former position. I assure you that he is perfectly capable of protecting me."
"So be it. There is no reason he should not become your protector, although, this person has not been in this world for a year. How will he cope with the changes of this planet?" Zo`or resumed his haughty gaze.
"I have been fully informed on everything that has occurred since my death. There has not been much change on this planet. I am ready."
Zo`or glared at Da`an. The datastream was still on, the Synod had heard the arguments. Zo`or could not deny Da`an's request.
"Welcome back Commander Boone. It is ... good to have you in our services once again." Zo`or forced the words out. Da`an and Boone left the bridge for the shuttle bay. Da`an smiled.

********

"Major. Report to the Mothership immediately."
"Yes, sir. On my way." Liam signed off. He had just finished catching up on the work Sandoval left him, when he called. It made Liam mad because Sandoval had known he would still be there, then again Sandoval had seemed nervous, he had kept glancing away from his global. 'I guess Edana will have to wait a little longer.'
Liam walked onto the bridge and Sandoval immediately went to meet him. He led Liam off into the corridor.
"Major, there has been a new protector appointed in Agent Martinez's absence."
"Who?"
"Commander Boone."
"Impossible." Liam feigned bewilderment. "Com. Boone is dead."
"Apparently not. I need you to keep an eye on him. You are responsible for easing him back into Taelon services. Go Maj. I was instructed to get you to Earth sometime before dawn." Sandoval walked off muttering about an impatient Companion Agent.
"Edana, of course." Liam grinned and left. She was waiting. 'I'm a pretty good actor if I do say so myself.'

********

Edana was tired of being home. No one would let her do anything. Dr. Belman still hadn't okayed her return to work. Liam said that Will had taken over for her and was doing a great job. She didn't like the sound of that. Liam had babied her all week since she had been home. He made her dinner every night. it was nice side of him to see. Everything was great except she was stir-crazy. She had even begun to hand out at the Flat Planet while she waited for Liam to get off work. She found many friends there. The bartender Angie was a sweet girl, she tended to blush a lot when the group talked about men, as if she had someone in mind. Kwai-Ling was great, she told her all about Liam and his friends. It was a nice place even though some of the characters were a little scary.
There was nothing to do. In the past two weeks, she was not allowed to work. She had even missed a hijacking. Ever since the Jaridians had reprogrammed the ship, Ron had acted differently, almost as if he was hiding something. Then there was a renegade Taelon loose on Earth... all the excitement she missed because Dr. Belman hadn't given her approval yet. 'What is with that woman?'

********

"Liam, I don't know what it is you did to her, but I can't find it. She already had activity here." Belman pointed to the screen. "Most people don't anyway, but now it's higher. If what you tell me is true then it didn't hurt her and I don't think it even affected her much. I can't do anymore studies or tests. Tell her she can go back to work."
"She'll be glad to hear that. I swear she's bouncing off the walls. I think it's just her CVI but I could swear she's looking forward to working again." Liam laughed.
'Then tell her she's free to do as she pleases as soon as Da`an allows it."
"Oh, she'll be there before he can say go." Belman laughed. He was almost like a son to her. Without Joyce around, she needed young people to talk to, to give advice to. At least Liam followed her advice when she gave it.

********

"Really?? Ooh, Liam, I could kiss you... maybe I will, come here." Edana threw her arms around him and planted a big one on his lips.
"Wow. I ought to bring you some paperwork and see how excited that gets you."
"If you had been stuck in a hospital bed for a week and then forced to stay home for another two, you be glad for jury duty." They both laughed. Lately he had more memories coming in, it helped a lot. Beckett's and Sandoval's memories were right at the surface now, it was easier to recall than before. Maybe Da`an was right, maybe his mind was catching up to his body. So many things were clearer and he didn't feel as naive as before.
"What do you want to do?"
"I can think of something but that will depend on you." Edana reached up and put a hand on his temple without even realizing she had done it. He turned his head slightly as something unseen passed between them. They kissed deeply again.

********

Liam awoke in Edana's bed, she was still asleep. He rolled over and glanced at the clock.
"Oh my God! I'm late!" He jumped out of bed and rapidly dressed and ran out the door. Edana sat up in time to see him leave the room. She shrugged and got up, getting   back to work would be easy as long as she got there.

"Care to explain your tardiness, Maj." Sandoval checked his pocket-watch as Liam hurried into the office.
"Not really." Liam muttered and ran a hand through his wet hair.
"Fine. As soon as the others get here, we'll start." Sandoval waited about a minute before Boone, Lili and Edana walked into his office. Liam looked at her, not a hair out of place, she looked as if she had had all the time in the world to get ready.
"Good. Everyone is here. Let us begin. In one week Da`an will visit a school in Texas. I believe it is an elementary school. We need to be there in the event that the Resistance decides to take advantage of the crowded situation. The three of us will be in command over all other Agents. Boone, you have security, Martinez, you get the details oh the structure of the building. I want to know that every inch of that school is scum free. I will take care of everything else.
"Why so much security for an elementary school?" Lili asked.
"We can't take any chances."
"With children?" Liam was skeptical.
"One can never be too sure. You are all dismissed."
Four people exited the office. Edana and Boone headed for their office. There had been no time to set up another office so they had to share the one. Lili and Liam went to his office.
"So what is all that about? I mean what could go wrong at a school?"
"Sandoval's being paranoid about everything. I am not authorizing any activity at this one anyway. I don't know much about this though, I got here late this morning."
"By the way where were you last night. You didn't answer your global."
"I was at Edana's."
"That never stopped you from answering before. What were you doing?"
"Keeping me happy." Edana said from the doorway. "Capt. Marquette, Com. Boone would like to speak with you."
"Right." Lili left with a smirk on her face. Edana walked in and stood a moment before speaking again.
"So, I was wondering if you knew what happened last night."
"I actually cannot remember but I get the feeling I enjoyed it." Liam smiled at her. He would have kissed her but there were too many people around. Edana didn't like public displays of affection, especially not at work. Edana gave a little smile.
"Yeah I get the same feeling, that's what worries me. I am supposed to remember everything, and yet I vaguely recall anything that transpired last night."
"Do you think there is something wrong with your CVI?" Liam moved closer to her. He was thinking of what he and Dr. Belman had seen in her scans.
"I don't know. I can do everything else normally, but it's just last night." She threw her hands up in the air. "Listen to me. I bother for three weeks to come back to work, and when I finally get back, I don't do any work."
"It's okay. First day back, you have a new assignment and a week to do it, If you get started now, who knows, maybe you'll get done in time to get some sleep before the year's over." He rubbed his hands.
"You are not helping." She hit his arm.
"OW. I'm sorry, I didn't mean it."
"I'm supposed to check in with Dr. Belman tomorrow. I'll talk to her then. I have to go get some work done." Edana started to the door.
"Edana, a question. How did you get ready so quickly?" He gestured to his own rumpled appearance.
"I didn't panic like you did. And I live nearer to the Embassy than you do." She flashed him a smile and left.

********

"Lili, who the HELL is that guy?"
"Who?" Lili tried to look like she had no idea what he was talking about.
"You know who. Kincaid. I fought with a Liam Kincaid, but he was reported MIA. That is not him. So who is he?"
"I don't think I can tell you.."
"Why not?" Boone was angry. He was remembering a lot lately, he hadn't really noticed that he couldn't remember everything until a memory surfaced.
"No one talks about who Liam is, it's like an unwritten rule in the Resistance."
"What's the deal Lili and don't lie to me."
"Fine what I can tell you is... We had to come up with an identity that Sandoval would buy. Augur set it all up."
"Why?" Lili moved closer and whispered to him.
"It was the only way the Leader of the Resistance could get a prime position with the Taelons."
"He's running the Resistance." Nothing she could say would calm him down and Martinez would be back soon.
"Yes, that is why no one can know anything. If anyone is questioned, we don't have to worry about it."
"And you couldn't tell me about this."
"Only a select few know that Liam isn't all he seems."
"Does Doors know?" Boone actually simmered down. Nothing made sense but at least he was getting answers.
"He stepped down and he recognizes Liam's authority. Doors knows, he was there from the beginning, he funds us, he knows what he wants to know." Lili was grateful she didn't have to explain about Liam and that she was able to come up with something believable.

********

Boone sat at his desk. So many things confused him. Many things had changed, people had changed. There was so much to deal with. He had found an apartment of his own, Augur seemed to need some time with Lili anyway. That still blew Will's mind, Lili and Augur. How had that happened?
Da`an had undergone some changes as well. He was so much more aggressive than before. Product of Synod politics, no doubt. Kincaid, everything always involved Kincaid. Da`an and Kincaid seemed to be close, and so were Kincaid and Lili and Augur. It was almost as if they all shared a common secret. Then again what could he expect, he didn't ask to be brought back into this world. Four years ago he had been happy, he had a wife and a steady job. Two years ago that all changed. He lost his wife and left his position for one much more dangerous and intriguing. and apparently one year ago he died. It doesn't take much to change everything. Doors was running for President and it seemed as if he might actually win, he was no longer the leader of the Resistance but still had some sway. The only two who seemed not to change much were Sandoval and Zo`or.
Then there was Agent Martinez. She was new and unusual. Will had been told that she had a CVI but no skrill, although sometimes it seemed that she was a normal Human. He had only worked with her for a few days but she had already made an impression. She was very Implant-like when working but the minute she was alone with either Sandoval or Kincaid, her whole attitude changed. It was as if she was normal and they were her best friends, well apparently she and Kincaid were involved. She was a nice woman, she tried to be friendly with him but Boone wasn't ready to let his guard down around anyone. Will didn't care if she was the one who brought him back. The first rule in working for the Taelons: Trust no one.

********

Zo`or sat on the bridge, he looked more content than usual. If all went as planned, Da`an would be no more and the Resistance would be hunted out and terminated. Who would think to secure a children's facility. Zo`or hadn't bothered to inform Sandoval of this plan, Sandoval just would disappoint once again. There seemed to be less and less use for the Implant and something would have to be done about it eventually. A few strategically placed Volunteers would ensure success.

********

"Here are the dossiers for all the faculty and employees at Sam Houston Elementary." Liam handed a disc to Sandoval.
"Everyone checked out?"
"Unless they hire someone tomorrow morning... I think it's safe." Sandoval looked at his assistant for a moment.
"Good work, Maj. We will leave for Texas at 08:00. You are dismissed." Sandoval waved Liam off. "And Maj. be prompt. I will not tolerate tardiness any longer."
"Yes sir." Liam was getting tired of Sandoval riding him. Tomorrow at least there would be something else to distract him.

********

That night Liam took Edana to the Flat Planet, she was finally going to meet all of his friends. They walked into the Cafe and headed to the bar. Liam guided her by the hand. Julia and Angie were talking when Angie saw them approach. Her nostrils flared a little and she left without warning. Julia turned and spotted Liam leading a woman by the hand toward the bar. Lili and Augur were on the other side, so that's where Liam took Edana.
"Edana, you know Lili. This is Augur."
"Asante. You are even more beautiful than what they say." Augur kissed her hand.
"It's nice to meet you too, Augur. I have heard so much about you."
"All good I assume."
"Well, I didn't tell her about you so it must be." Liam cracked. Augur received a light punch from Lili and Augur dropped Edana's hand. Julia came up behind them with her drink.
"And this elusive person is Julia." Liam gestured to the figure leaning on the bar behind them.
"Nice to meet you, Julia." Edana held out her hand to Julia. Which Julia just stared at before taking another drink from her glass.
"Whatever." Julia disappeared into the crowd.
"Charming girl, I hope she's the only one so open and loving." The group laughed. Julia was showing her bright colors again.
"Well, I was hoping you could meet Angie but she doesn't seem to be around."
"Oh I know Angie, remember, and I know Kwai-Ling too. How else do you think I knew about Augur."
"That's right. What shall we do?"
"This place is a little crowded tonight, what do you say to a private party down under?"
"Sounds good. How 'bout you?" Liam asked Edana, who gave him a strange look.
"Okay, where are we going? Another club?"

"Why are we in a church?" Edana looked around skeptically at the pews and altar.
"Just watch. We are always here. Augur I think you should let us in." Augur took the hint and opened the scanner just enough to get his thumb in. The Resistance markings would be sure to get her attention. The wall swung open revealing the lift.
"After you milady." Liam gently pushed her into the lift.
The doors opened revealing Augur's home. Edana looked around for a moment or two. Then a piece of art caught her attention. She walked over to it. She had never seen it before but it was beautiful.
"Who's is this?"
"That would be mine." Augur spoke.
"It's great, I've never seen anything like it. Who's the artist?"
"I am, actually. It's nice to see there are some people with taste out there."
Lili rolled her eyes, she personally thought that one was hideous. "I'll go get us drinks. Liam, want to help?"
"Sure." They went to the kitchen where Lili pulled glasses from the shelf and placed them on a tray.
"She fit right in didn't she. I mean, she's a fan of Augur's disasters, already made friends with Angie and Kwai. It's like she belongs here... almost." Lili pulled a bottle out and began pouring the drinks.
"Well why almost?"
"Not everybody likes her." Julia spoke up from the doorway.
"Why do you say that?" Liam wanted to know what her deal was.
"Angie doesn't like her and I don't like her. Is it true she's an Implant?"
"Yes she is. She and Angie are friends."
"Not anymore. You haven't been keeping up with your lies." Julia picked up one of the glasses and drained it.
"My lies?"
"We don't know who you really are to begin with."
"My name is Liam, it's the only name I've ever known, It's the name my mother gave me."
"Well, you've been lying to Angie."
"No I haven't." Liam reached and pulled a fifth glass from the shelf.
"You've been leading her on. You could've told her you were seeing someone."
"I assumed everyone knew. I mean we go to the Cafe all the time."
"But you do go by yourself sometimes and you continue to flirt with Angie. She's very confused."
"If there's a problem, she'll tell me. You're drunk aren't you."
"A little but that has nothing to do with anything."
"How about you take a walk and sober up before accusing me of anything else?"
"Fine." She picked up another glasses and downed that one too. Then she stormed out of the cave.
"That was interesting." Lili said picking up the tray and raising her eyebrows.
They the rest of the night talking about various things, work, stocks, music, and party places. They stayed away from why the cave was there, who built it and what the common denominator was.

"They are some interesting people, your friends." Edana said. She and Liam were walking to his apartment. They needed to cool off from the heat of conversation and laughter. She had her arms around his waist, he had one of his arms around her and the other in his pocket.
"Well I like them."
"What was up with Julia? I heard her rants from the kitchen. Did I miss something about Angie?"
"No, Julia was drunk and being herself." Just then a man jumped out of the shadows pointing a gun at them. Liam instinctively pushed Edana behind him and raised his hands. To most people that would be a non-threatening position but Liam restrained his shaquarava from glowing, which were very much a threat.
"Give me all your cash and jewelry."
"Fine mister, just don't shoot." Liam could feel Edana moving ever so slightly behind him. Suddenly a shot came from under his arm. It knocked the gun out of their assailant's hand. Edana stepped out from behind Liam, her Taelon-issue gun pointed at him.
"I think that this man wants to go home now. He doesn't want to know what will happen if the cops find out he attacked two Companion Agents." She smiled sweetly at him. He took the hint and took off running.
"My aren't we resourceful?"
"I have many skills." She looked suggestively at him. Edana replaced the gun under her coat. They continued the rest of the way to his apartment, hands clasped. Each of them grateful for the other one, especially since they realized if either one had been alone... anything could have happened.

********

Agent Sandoval stood as patiently as he could, he and Da`an stood outside the Embassy on the launching pad where two shuttles waited. They were going to be late and he knew exactly why. This was not how he wanted to start today off. The plan was to make sure they arrived on time in Texas, but... Lord, he did not want to think about it.  There were more pressing matters than what she did with whom. It was his fault for thinking he could get the Major to work early by showing up unexpectedly at his apartment this morning. *Had I only known.* Sandoval shook his head and checked his pocket-watch again. *What does she see in that guy?*
Da`an watched Sandoval carefully, he had seemed to be upset by something when he had arrived at the Embassy earlier. He even looked a bit paler than usual. Da`an supposed that it had something to do with the fact that both Agent Martinez and Major Kincaid were not early for departure. Liam had not been around for the past few weeks. Da`an knew that Liam was spending more time with his... mate? It was hard putting this type of relationship into Human terms. The English language was so difficult with all of its ambiguous meanings, Eunoia was much simpler. In any case, Liam and Agent Martinez had become closer since she had awakened from her slumber. Da`an worried that this might happen sooner or later, it had to, but Da`an couldn't help thinking something should be done.
"Is something the matter, Agent Sandoval?"
"No, Da`an. We are awaiting Agent Martinez and Major Kincaid, they will arrive shortly. Com. Boone and Capt. Marquette are also on their way. We have other Agents awaiting our arrival in Texas."
"It seems our plans for today were planned out very carefully by the team I organized for you."
"Yes. Everything has gone smoothly thus far." Sandoval had to admit that they worked well together as long as one of the women was around. Boone and Lili arrived in his new car, he had to replace many things since he died. His car, his wardrobe, his apartment and now his memories. Boone didn't like knowing at any moment a forgotten scene would play in his mind. Last night, he remembered the event that lead to his life now, the death of Kate had slammed him hard. He experienced all the pain all over again. He would have trouble facing Sandoval today, Da`an too, but he had to live his double life like he had before.
Liam and Edana pulled up into the Embassy parking lot. Everyone had already arrived. They looked and each other and grinned. Today would be interesting. They got out of her car and walked out to the shuttles. They had had a rude awakening that morning.
Edana had woken up when there was a knock on Liam's door. She had shaken him to wake him, and then the door had opened. Liam heard the footsteps downstairs and pulled on his shorts to go investigate. Half-way down the stairs Liam backed up.
"Agent Sandoval. I was just getting ready. It's only 7:00."
"Yes Major but I told you that I would no longer tolerate your tardiness." Sandoval walked up the stairs behind Liam. Edana heard his footsteps on the staircase and reached for Liam's shirt, it was the nearest article of clothing to his narrow bed. She pulled the shirt over her head as Ron's head appeared above the loft floor. Upon spotting Edana, Sandoval stopped his ascent. She tried to smile at him but it was a guilty one.
"Morning Ron." Edana ran her hands through her hair nervously.
"Morning. I expect to see you both at the Embassy in 45 minutes." Sandoval gave Liam one of his worst looks and left the apartment.

Thanks to her CVI, she could relive those awkward moments. Ron hated Liam now. There was no hope of them getting along ever. At least they were on time, they were even a few minutes early. They had fought over the shower, she won. They could have killed two birds with one stone but his bathroom was incredibly small. Anyway, she need the time to dry her hair, she needed a hair cut, it was too long. It never took him long to get ready, he was a guy. Liam did have a little accident before they had left his apartment. Edana had left her perfume on the table by the door, and when he went to open the door... he knocked it over on himself. At least it was a pleasant scent but he would smell like Calming Waters all day long.
"Well don't you smell pretty." Lili commented as Liam approached the shuttles. She could smell him 10 feet away. It had to be him, Martinez was walking toward the other shuttle.
"I do actually." Liam sniffed at his jacket.
"What'd you do? Walk into Victoria secret?" Lili laughed.
"He had an accident with my perfume." Edana wore no expression but her eyes glittered with laughter.
"Enough small talk. Let us be gone." Sandoval broke in. "Com., you and Agent Martinez will ride in Marquette's shuttle. Da`an and myself will ride with the Major."
"At least we won't have to smell him the entire way." Boone joked as he took his seat in the shuttle. Lili laughed but Martinez put on the face she used at work. Her eyes betrayed her but she knew that facial expression was what people looked at.
Both shuttles went up in the air and went into interdimensional. There was friendly conversation in Lili's shuttle. In Liam's shuttle there was dead silence except for Liam occasionally calling out his actions. Da`an grew aware of the tension in the shuttle. Agent Sandoval looked straight ahead seemingly emotionless, but Da`an noticed that he gripped his global communicator very tightly in his left hand and his skrill arm was pulsating slightly. Da`an supposed that Sandoval was angry about something and watched for anything to slip through that icy exterior. Liam made certain he didn't need to turn around for anything. This morning, he could have sworn that Sandoval was going to kill him. Liam knew how Sandoval had once felt for Edana, and how he regarded her later in life, Liam understood how Sandoval could be angry at him. It was going to be a long day.
"Coming out of interdimensional." Da`an watched as Sandoval's eyes narrowed slightly. The shuttles landed on the blacktop behind the school, where the principal, the mayor and a few Companion Agents waited. Principal Mays and Mayor Westmore approached the shuttle when its occupants began to exit.
"Hullo. Welcum ta Sam Houstin Elementry. Ah hope ya'll enjoy ya'lls stay here." Westmore drawled in a thick Texan accent. He was an older man, and the being who stood before him was nothing like he had ever seen in his life.
"I am very grateful to be here." Da`an greeted Westmore and Mays with the Taelon greeting, which was copied by all the Agents. The Texans led the way into the school. Lili turned to Liam and mouthed, YA'LL. He grinned and shrugged. Liam made it a point to stay behind the little procession. He glanced around to be sure there were Agents left at the entrances at the school, and to mind the shuttles.
Da`an was led into a classroom full of small children, first graders. Immediately the room buzzed with excited boys and girls. Liam walked around to the back of the classroom. He really felt that so many Agents were not necessary. Boone stood outside the door. Lili couldn't find any use for herself and went back to the shuttles, children weren't her thing. Sandoval stayed by Da`an's side at the front of the room. Edana stood just inside the door.
The teacher, Ms. Garza, stood next to Da`an to introduce the class.
"Class, today Da`an, the Companion to North America has come to visit with us a while. Everyone say hello."
"Hi." "Hello." "Howdy." The children all yelled out. Da`an nodded and greeted the class. Da`an talked to the class awhile, they were small children and didn't really understand much except that they were seeing a real alien. Da`an stood to leave, which received a bunch of "Man"s from the class. Liam stood from where he had sat, and felt a tug on his pants. A little boy was standing next to him.
"Mister, you smell like a girl." Laughter rippled through the room. Even Sandoval had to suppress a chuckle. Liam bit his lip and walked out of the room. Boone had grown curious about the laughter.
"What's going on in there?"
"They're laughing at me."
"Why? Oh, the perfume thing, I figure a kid would say something."
The rest of the day was pretty much uneventful. The last group that Da`an visited were sixth-graders. Three of them didn't speak English, two boys and a girl. Edana offered to translate. The girl spent the entire visit with Da`an staring at Liam. Finally she spoke.
"Agente Martinez. )como se llama de el?" The girl gestured to Liam.
"Liza, ello es comodante Kincaid." Edana cracked a smile, she knew where this was headed.
"Ah. )Comodante Kincaid habla espaZol?" Liza continued her questions.
"Ay, yo no saber."
")Comodante Kincaid hace novia? Ello es muy guapo." Having heard his name, Liam walked closer to investigate. Edana looked at him with an amused expression.
"Si es muy hermoso pero si, ello hace novia." Liza looked sad for a moment.
"What's going on? Are you talking about me?" Liam came up and sat on a desk nearby.
"She was asking questions about you. Your name, if you spoke Spanish, if you had a girlfriend. You know, pre-teen infatuation-type questions."
")Como se llama?" Liam asked the young girl.
"Soy Liza." Liza perked up and flashed him a big smile.
"Liza, mi novia es Agente Martinez, ella es bella, )no?" Liam looked at Edana.
"Si." Liza was again disappointed.
"Tu es bonita, tambien." Liam made Liza blush. They all looked up as Da'an rose to leave. Edana went to his side.
")Comodante, tu casar con Agente Martinez?" Liza asked him as he stood. Liam thought about it for a moment.
"Si, tarde o temprano. Adios." Liam followed the others out of the classroom. Once out in the corridor, alarms went off. The Agents drew their weapons. Mays stepped out of the classroom and explained.
"Those are the tornado sirens, it's just a drill. You may go, but they have to practice." He gestured to the kids. Weapons were holstered and hidden. The group had to walk around the school to get to the shuttles. They headed down a long corridor between the school and its gym, suddenly two canisters rolled from both ends spouting smoke. There were no adjoining hallways to escape into. Weapons were once again pulled from their jackets as the smoke caused more alarms to go off. Edana pulled out her global.
"Marquette."
"We have a situation, send all Agents to the south side of the building."
"Yes, ma'am." Edana snapped the global shut. The four Agents were in a circle around their Companion, their backs to Da'an. It was becoming difficult to see. Liam starting feeling drowsy. He was the first to fall. Soon even the Implants couldn't stand the gases. By the time backup arrived the smoke had started to clear. Lili found the four Agents unconscious on the ground. Da'an was nowhere in sight.
"Dammit!" Lili cried as she tried to rouse her fellow Agents. A wind picked up and whisked the gases from the outside corridor. Slowly, they began to awaken. Boone stood and glanced around.
"Where's Da'an?"
"He was gone when we arrived and the four of you were on the ground. What happened?"
"We came down here to get to the shuttles then four canisters rolled in and spewed some kind of gas. I guess it got us all." Liam stood and helped Edana to her feet. He offered his hand to Sandoval, who stared at it a moment before he finally accepted it.
"I want an immediate search of the campus and neighborhood in a 10 mile radius. Whomever has taken Da'an will be found." Sandoval barked out orders sending Agents scattering in all directions. Edana walked around for a moment, she was figuring out something in her head.
"Check the roof!" She shouted to two Agents standing nearby. They stared at her dumbly. "Did you hear me?! I said check the roof!"
The two men couldn't get out of there fast enough. She was mad.
"Why the roof?" Sandoval inquired.
"You didn't hear the way the canisters clinked when they hit the ground? I heard them, I also heard feet hitting the ground just before I lost consciousness. They are on the roof. There was a reason you had me go over the structure of the building was there not?"
"Well done." Sandoval looked at her for a moment, then he walked out of the hallway and looked up. "There is a ladder that leads to the roof. Shall we?"
They jumped up to the ladder and began the climb to the roof of the building.
Liam glanced at Boone and Lili. He was not happy.
"Someone needs to inform Mays of the situation. School gets out in half an hour but Sandoval is not going to let anyone off this campus." Liam said firmly, he looked at Boone who took the hint.
"Right, I'm on it." Boone jogged to the nearest door and entered the building.
"Liam, do you know what's going on?"
"I have no clue. I made sure all the cells understood that nothing was to be done here. I would never risk children. True no one got hurt here but I would never authorize this."
"That's what I thought, but who did it?" Lili and Liam just stood there.
"Zo`or would be a prime suspect, but we'll never prove it. I'm going up there. Four Agents wouldn't be enough. I am sure there would be ten people involved in this, at the very least. Two to toss in the canisters, two on watch for us to enter this hall, add two to that number to make sure we didn't wake while they took Da'an, and figure in getaway vehicles to seat everyone. I'd call this a conspiracy of sorts." Liam walked out of the hall still talking. He turned and jumped up to the ladder. He dangled there for a few moments before he had a good enough grip to begin the ascent. Lili shook her head and went to the shuttle, she'd do an aerial search.
Liam threw his body over the top and landed on his feet. He looked around and saw no one. He saw some movement behind a vent. The two Agents Edana had sent up first were tied and gagged. Liam quickly untied them and set about finding who did it.
"What happened?"
"As soon as we came up here, four men got us. We tried to warn Agents Martinez and Sandoval but they were taken." That first one stood and held his side.
"Did you get a good look and the guys?" Liam bent down and picked up two globals, Edana's and Sandoval's.
"No they were wearing gas masks, although I could hear the one tying me up, he or she was cracking gum. I don't think it helps but I did." The other one spoke up.
"Did you see which way they went?" The men gestured to the west side of the building. Liam ran to the side in time to see Companion Agents firing at a 16 passenger van speeding away from the school. Lili's shuttle went up in the air, Liam looked up and pointed at the van. Hopefully Lili saw him and knew what he meant. Apparently she did. The shuttle soared up and shot down at the van, intending to drive it from the road. Liam ran to his own shuttle. They would have to corner the vehicle somehow. Once up in the air, Liam contacted Lili.
"Where are they?" Liam called out as he maneuvered his shuttle to where Lili was chasing the van.
"Down there driving through the park. I can't get a clean shot."
"We're gonna have to trap them. They have Edana and Sandoval, too."
"How'd that happen?"
"I don't know but I'm calling for more shuttles, make sure they don't leave the park."

********

Edana and Sandoval were bound and gagged inside the van. Da'an sat quietly, staring at his captors. They had worn gas masks until they got into the van, then they switched to smaller, lighter mouth and nose covers. One of them was popping their gum, she appeared to be a female. All six that sat in the back with the prisoners had guns. Each captive had two guns trained on them.
Suddenly the van swerved, throwing Sandoval and Edana onto the floor of the van. Da'an steadied himself on a seat. It stopped. One of the men in the front of the van leaned out a window and fired his gun. The van sparked into action once more as they heard an explosion. This time it swerved twice more before it seemed to go on forever. Eventually the vehicle slowed somewhat and then finally it stopped. The doors opened and everyone was pushed out the back. Edana and Sandoval were taken and bound to hooks on the wall. Then one of the men used the butt of his rifle and knocked them both out.

********

Liam pulled himself out of a bush. He had managed to land the shuttle directly in the path of the van. It had swerved and stopped. Then one man fired into the shuttle and hit the engine. Liam had jumped out just in time. Unfortunately, the explosion kept the other shuttles from seeing where the escaped vehicle was headed. It got away.
"Dammit!" Liam yelled. Lili's shuttle landed not far away. He jogged to it holding his arm. He had hit a tree when he jumped free of his shuttle.
"Liam! Are you alright? Thank God! What happened?" Lili ran out to meet him.
"They got away. They have Da'an, Sandoval and Edana. The Synod will not negotiate for any of them. I would have to say that Zo`or is behind this but we'll never prove it. One more thing, you know anyone that cracks their gum and is stupid enough to do it on a mission?"
"Julia! You mean-"
"One of the Agents left on the roof remembers hearing one of the kidnappers cracking their gum."
"So they really got us this time, didn't they?" Lili looked around at the wreckage. "How'd they manage to blow her up?"
"Lucky shot. One man hung out the window and shot up the engine, it didn't take to the bullets." Liam said wryly. "Well, let's get Boone and make our report to Zo`or."

********

Edana awoke to find herself still hanging from the hook, but no longer gagged. Ron hung next to her, he was still out or pretending. One man noticed her stirring.
"Well, wut d'we have ere?" He drawled and approached while looking her up and down. "Ah ain't never seen a woman Implant buhfore."
He ran a finger along her face, Edana grimaced, revolted by his touch. He was a big guy, about 6'5" and about 250 lbs. He used his other hand to trace her body. "Ah c'do better than any a dose stiffs ya hang round."
Edana spit in his face, then the guy went flying. Ron was awake, he had kicked the guy across the room. They appeared to be in a warehouse of some sort. It was cold and their feet just barely touched the floor.
"Wilks! Git up off da floor. Ah told jou not t'go near 'em, they's more dangerous than they 'pear, even tied up." The boss had a worse accent than the Mayor.
"Are you in charge?" Sandoval asked the man yelling at Wilks. The man nodded. "You should know that no one will negotiate for either Da'an or us."
"Ah heard someone say that once, but Ah don't want nutin'. Ah's gittin paid ta have fun." The man laughed. "Ah s'gest that ya'll keep yer mouthz shut or else I'll let Wilks have sum fun, too. If ya catch m'drift."
Sandoval was not happy. Edana nearly retched at the thought of letting Wilks have fun. Sandoval looked around. Not to far from where they hung, Da'an was seated silently watching the events transpire. Edana glared at the man standing before her. Knowing his captive got the hint, he left. Her face and hands hurt, they had used box tape to secure their hands and it bit into her flesh. Edana looked at Sandoval's hands, they had to hurt worse than hers. His had been wrapped tighter because of his skrill, if he tried to fire it, then the tape would melt onto his skin permanently. They had even taped his hands so that his skrill pointed into his left hand. That would have been messy. Edana couldn't help thinking about the explosion they had heard in the van. What had it come from?
Sandoval looked around. His face hurt front the butt of that gun. His hands would be fine but there was no way to fire his skrill without permanent damage to himself. There had to be someway out of this. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a woman watching them. She looked familiar but Sandoval couldn't twist that far to see. The woman stood and approached. she stopped four feet away.
"Hi, how are you doing?" She cracked her gum and winked at him.
"Julia?" Edana sputtered.
"Wow. Should I be honored you remembered my name?"
"You're the renegade Volunteer, aren't you?" Sandoval managed.
"I am impressed, what do we have here? Zo`or's stool pigeon and his girlfriend."
"What!?" Edana was confused.
"Oh that's right, you're Kincaid's girl. Yes, everyone one knows who's in the inner circle. I'll have you know that there are people who wouldn't mind never seeing either of you again."
"Tell Doors, this is a waste of time. No one will bargain for us."
"Agent Sandoval...tsk, tsk, tsk. Doors doesn't run things anymore and our Leader actually doesn't know we're doing this. It's quite fun."
"Fun. Why does everyone keep saying that?" Sandoval muttered.
"Does Liam know you're in the Resistance?"
"What does that matter? I know him, he knows me and frankly I could do without the lying son of a gun. I rather wish he was strung up here with the two of you." With that Julia walked off.
Da`an observed these events and sighed. This was not Resistance activity, they would never take him again. 'Why do these Humans always choose me? I do not matter much to the government. The Synod would never negotiate for me, the American people had learned of this and there would be no point. sigh. This is Zo`or's doing, I am sure of it but he would never get himself caught. Even now they speak to me, tell me what I must do if they ask for a ransom.' Da`an didn't like this place. His Implants were uncomfortable, Agent Martinez had already received a threat to her body in some way. Da`an would never understand exactly what, Humans hurt each other in the most heinous of ways. Agent Sandoval's hands were taped from fingers to mid-forearm. They were both hung 6 feet up the wall on hooks that forced the restraints to become tighter. Their feet had been tied also and dangled just above the floor. Both the Implants were bleeding from where they were struck with a gun. Da`an had no choice but to sit and wait. Wait either for a rescue, Liam would attempt one he knew, or for the order to embrace the void.

********

"There is nothing to do about it. We will not negotiate with terrorists. Da`an and Agents Sandoval and Martinez will have to be sacrificed. To attempt a rescue would be foolish and death would ensue, in any case."
"Yes, Zo`or." Liam, Boone, and Lili all answered.
"You are all dismissed." Zo`or waved them off. The threesome walked out into the corridor. Nothing could be done... not with authorization anyway.

********

Augur paced in front of his computer. How do you track two Companion Agents and a Taelon? Well, he knew how it could do it but no one wanted to be in the same room as an Atavus. 'Wait a minute. I have those codes from the Mothership.'
"Computer. Go through Taelon security. I need to find the brain wave patterns for Ronald P. Sandoval and Edana M. Martinez or Edana M..... Carrasco, no... Castro. Yeah I think that's what Liam said her maiden name was. We need to use their brain patterns to find them."
"Uh-huh. Here I'm having severe back pains, I look like a cow and you want me to find you another girl. Hmmmf!" Holo-Lili was not happy.
"No, no, no. Edana isn't mine, she's Liam's and he's liable to kill me if I can't find her."
"Oh! Then I'll do it right away." Augur wondered why he didn't reprogram her. She thinks she's pregnant, and I'm the father. If there was God, she's laughing at him.
"Oh and computer, if you can find Da`an's harmonic signal that would be great, just don't try to do anything to it." That should give them plenty to go on. Now he would have to wait until he could get everything. To find their brain patterns, Augur would have to do it manually, which meant risking exposure if it took too long.

********

"I'm going to Augur's. I can't wait around here."
"I don't think so Lili. Zo`or has people following us. It's probably a risk, staying here but if we go anywhere that'll be reported to Zo`or." Liam said cutting a sandwich in half.
"How do you know we're being followed?" Lili walked over to a window and noticed someone duck into the alley.
"There was this car that followed Boone went he went home. Then I noticed when we left the Embassy parking lot that another car stayed three cars back but it noticed it. Zo`or wants to catch us doing something unusual. Call Boone, he'll probably tell you the same thing." Liam set two plates on the table and gestured for Lili to sit.
"So why are we just sitting here?" Lili sat and popped a chip into her mouth.
"I'm waiting for Augur to call. I have him doing a search."
"How? I mean you found their globals, and they weren't wearing tracking devices." Liam nodded and finished chewing before he answered.
"But... you remember that experiment that made Doors go crazy. Well, I figure that the same thing could make a great tracking device. Augur has the access codes I gave him last week. He should be calling us soon. I gave him Sandoval's name as listed in the Taelon security files and Edana's maiden name, just in case."
"Whoa, her maiden name? She's been married before?" Lili decided she was hungry and started eating her sandwich.
"Hmm-hmm. swallow. She was young, and he died in the SI War. Edana doesn't like to talk about it."
"She loved him, huh."
"She did, but she says that it wasn't meant to be. Sandoval's grandmother had always told her that Mark, that was his name, wasn't the one for her."
"I sometimes find it hard to believe that those two came from the same background. I mean they are different in most respects but the same underneath." Lili polished off the sandwich.
"That can be explained. Sandoval is two years older than Edana. She skipped a grade so they were almost always in the same schools. Sandoval went to Harvard Law after high school, after that he went into the FBI and was good enough to be recruited into the government's secret programs. He met Deedee sometime in college and they married soon after he was established enough with the FBI. Now, Edana went to Ohio, she majored in... um... I don't know... math of some sort and architecture. Right after graduation, she met Mark, they married and was a military wife. He died toward the end of the War, before the Taelons arrived. She was a professor at Princeton I believe, until, she felt it her duty to come to work for the Taelons."
"How do you know all that?"
"The stuff about Sandoval I remembered and the stuff he didn't know about, she told me." Liam gathered their empty plates and carried them to the sink.
"So you guys seems to be working out well together. Have you told her yet? Never mind, last night was proof you didn't."
"I just don't know how she'll react. I mean how would you feel if it suddenly came to your attention that the man you cared about for almost a year was himself just one year old."
"I see. Well if your bed is any indication of how things are going... I would tell her soon."
"My bed?" Liam was confused.
"Yeah when I went up to the bathroom earlier, I saw your bed. Her clothes were on the floor, the bed was... used, and she had clothes in your closet. That sound serious to me." Lili watched him as he thought it over. Liam opened his mouth to speak but his global went off.
"Hey man. It worked. These are the best coordinates I could come up with before I had to beat it out of there. Those are accurate within a couple of blocks. I would just head for the center and then work my way out."
"Thanks Augur. We are gone." Liam snapped the global shut and gestured to the door. "Shall we?"
Lili got up and followed him to the door. He opened the door and his arm hit the table, Edana's perfume fell and shattered on the floor.
"Remind me to buy her another bottle of that stuff. Oh and we'll pick up Boone on the way, I think he'll want the honors of showing us up, he is the one with the CVI."

********

Sandoval clung to consciousness, he would not give these people the satisfaction of passing out. He could no longer feel his arms, and he was growing weaker. His skrill was slowly taking his energy to keep itself from suffocating in the tape. His hands, he could see, had become swollen from the lack of blood. He had to stay awake for Edana's sake. That creep Wilks, kept eyeing her like a piece of meat. She was actually doing better than him, but then again she didn't have a skrill.
Edana regretted wearing her outfit, it was nice but a bit form-fitting and Wilks had noticed. She stayed alert in case, their boss decided it was time to 'have fun.' She hated the feeling that no one was coming to rescue them. Edana knew the Synod would never authorize a rescue team but she had to think Liam would come for her. He wasn't an Implant and could think on his own. He had to come for her. Her hands were numb and her face still throbbed. Da'an looked tired, he was beginning to lose his Human guise. Soon he would be forced to commit suicide. Thank God their captors hadn't received orders from whomever it was running this operation. Edana looked over at Ron. 'He's getting worse.'
"Ron." She whispered. "Ron, you have to stay awake. We are going to get out of here, but you need to stay awake."
"Eddy, we aren't getting out of here. There's no one to come for us." His head lolled to one side, to look at her better.
"I can't believe that. I will not die like this and neither will you and Da`an. See, he's fading-"
"Hey! What's going on over here?" Julia walked over with another man. "I don't believe we told you that you could talk. Simons here will shoot either one of you if you speak again."

********

Lili looked in the window. There were faint lights and moving shadows. This had to be the place. She had to get a closer look though. She stepped into Liam's hands and up onto his shoulders. Oddly enough, the higher windows were cleaner. Lili recognized everyone in the room. She saw Edana and Sandoval hanging from hooks on the far side of the building. It had been difficult to ditch their spies but Boone was an excellent driver. She motioned for Liam to let her down.
"Okay, they are all Resistance, we should just go in their acting like we own the place and it should all fall into place. It looks like Jamison is in charge, Wilks is in there, Julia has Simons guarding our prizes. Wilson, Smith, Trevor, Mitch, and Ford are all in there too."
"Alright. The story is... we are undercover. New assignment, they should know better than to say I'm leader out loud. Boone, you'll stay out here unless things get hairy. Let's go." Liam and Lili strolled in and looked around a moment before guns were pushed in their faces.
"Now is that any way to treat us." Liam spoke.
"Password."
"See the Truth with open eyes." Liam raised his eyebrows, they were going far with this.
"What brings you here?"
"I didn't authorize this, I was curious to see how it went."
"What is he doing here?" Julia marched up, gun raised.
"Julia. We could say the same about you." Lili walked in and then gestured to the captives. "How long they been there?"
"How did you find out where we were?"
"Someone talked."
"Right and I want to know who told you to go through with this." Liam asked her.
"I'm in charge." Jamison spoke up.
"Right, that's what the informant said. Now, I want to know why. You won't get anything for them."
"We have our orders."
"Really, they didn't come from me but I suppose I can allow this." Liam walked over to the captives. He looked them over and they looked bad. Sandoval looked like he was going to pass out.
"Major, I should have known you'd be a traitor." At those words, Edana's eyes went wide. Liam leaned into Sandoval and whispered, "Dum spiro, spero, vincit omnia veritas. Nil desperandum."
Liam slapped Sandoval across the face. It didn't hurt him, just surprised him.
"What about your little girlfriend? You're just going to leave her here?" Julia was trying to trap him. Liam turned to Edana and placed a hand on her face.
"She's just a toy and I'm done playing." Edana closed her eyes and tried to restrain the tears that fell down her face. Liam looked at her and it killed him inside, 'She believes it.' Liam pulled out his global and called Boone.
"Just knock them out, don't kill them yet." Liam closed the global and motioned for Lili to come to him. Edana was in shock. 'How could he say that? Do I really mean nothing to him?'
"Who are you talking to?" Jamison demanded.
"This isn't the only thing I have going tonight. Lili, you get to take care of Da`an. And I will take care of these two. There are better things I could be doing." Liam pulled out his gun.
"You bastard!" Edana cried out. That got the original team silent, they stood all together as a group and watched. Liam turned away and closed his eyes for a moment. He touched a button on his global. Just then, Boone burst in and in three shots of his skrill, the entire team lay unconscious. Lili, Liam, and Boone did a quick job of tying all nine up.
"Boone, you and Lili get Da`an back to the Embassy. I'll get them back." Edana looked at him with wide eyes. 'What the hell was going on?'
"Liam are you sure? I don't want to leave you alone with them." Boone called to him and gestured to the nine unconscious rebels.
"Someone has to stay and watch them. I think there is at least one more, just get a team in here to take them for questioning." Boone nodded and guided the weak Taelon out of the warehouse. Liam replaced his gun and pulled out a knife. He cut Sandoval down first, he handed the weary Agent a sandwich from his pocket. No skrill-bearing Implant should ever go twelve hours without food. Then Liam cut Edana down and hugged her to him.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean what I said, that was for their benefit, I swear." Liam squeezed her tight. "I am so sorry."
"How did this happen? How do you know these people?"
"It was a new assignment. We figured out that they hadn't seen who was in charge, but we knew the password. I never thought Julia would ever do something like this. What did they do to you?"
"I'm okay. I'm sorry I believed it, although you are too good of an actor to do things like that." Edana wiped the tears from her eyes. Liam cut the tape from their feet and helped them to some chairs nearby.
"Major. Thank you. I may even forgive you for the slap to the face. How did you know I knew Latin?" Sandoval allowed himself to feel grateful. He hungrily ate the sandwich, and the color slowly returned. It was hard to hold the sandwich with numb hands, though.
"I was just playing the part. I'm sorry if I hurt you. I thought Latin was required in Law school. I see the two of you got roughed up a bit." Edana shuddered.
"I need a shower." She stood and walked around.
"Sandoval, what happened?" Liam looked at him.
"There were only nine people. They knocked us both out soon after we arrived here, I couldn't do much until I woke up.  One of the men threatened her. I was able to send him flying but he'd already gotten his hands on her. They used that as a threat to keep us quiet."
"They were smart. Look at the way they tied your hands, you couldn't have fired without injuring yourself. And her... we were attacked last night and she's been on edge since, they must have realized they had hit a button." Sandoval nodded. A team of Agents burst in. Liam waved his badge at them and gestured to the people on the ground. They got busy dragging them out.
"Let's go. They can handle it from here. We need to get you two checked out immediately."

********

"You defied orders. I thought it was understood that no rescue was to be made."
"Yes, Zo`or. But this information fell into our laps and we could not resist. Da`an, and Agents Martinez and Sandoval are all alive and nothing has been lost. We know have nine Resistance operatives in our custody."
"Very well. Your plan seems to have been forthcoming. I suppose that we are fortunate   to have protectors such as yourself and your assistants. You are dismissed." Zo`or waved Com. Boone off the datastream. 'That one is too efficient at his position.' No other Implant would have dared to defy him, and yet this one did so constantly but in such a way that no one could question his motives. Zo`or glared at the stars that shone through to the bridge. 'There has to be some way to make this inferior race bow to me, or else all is lost.'

To Be Continued...