Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.

Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.

Title: Close Calls

Author: Delma RM

derema@hotmail.com

 

 

 

 

Close Calls

 

            “How was the first official day?” Renée glanced around the restaurant as she spoke.

            “Just fine.”

            “I am working under Agent Sandoval.” The quiet voice was harsh as it carried over the table. His gray eyes had something that Renée couldn’t decipher in them.

            “I’m working under Commander Boone and with that Escobar brat a lot.” She spat out those last few words.

            “That’s a lovely attitude honey. Danny-boy… you must tell me just how you got into Sandoval’s good graces.”

            “I was my own sweet self.” Daniel stared at Renée. Then he smiled the only smile she had ever seen on his face. “I scare you.”

            He said it like it was fact and *that* was what scared Renée. Of course, she never let any of that fear cross her face.

            “Do you now? Let me tell you something boy. No one scares me.”

            “No one? I doubt that. Everyone is afraid of something and or someone.” Daniel was wearing one of Sandoval’s favorite expressions on his face. Once again, Renée marveled at how the twins had all the mannerisms of their parents but looked little like them.

            “If you think you know me then prove it. What am I afraid of?” Her blue eyes danced with the challenge.

            “I never said I knew you. Although, that has got to be one of those things you’re scared of. Letting people inside that closed little mind of yours.”

            “Listen, I could turn the both of you over one way or the other. I could give one of you to each side. Because of me… you don’t have to hide.”

            “But we do!” Dara yelled then immediately lowered her voice. “Our parents don’t know us. Do you know what that’s like? Do you? To look your father in the face and not be able to tell him that you’re his little girl? To watch your mother cry over you because she can’t remember where you are? No you don’t. I’m leaving.” Dara left the table and ran out the door. Daniel raised his glass to his lips and smirked. It was that Sandoval smirk, then he shrugged. His lack of concern for his twin alarmed Renée.

--

            Dara wandered upstairs into the club portion of the Chesapeake. They didn’t hassle her about membership. The fact that she was at Renée Palmer’s dinner table several nights a week and the fact that she was beautiful got her immediate membership to the exclusive club. After indulging the bar tender’s questions, a drink and a membership card were slid her way. She nearly laughed. Dara Blake had lived in this world for less than a month and she had gotten the acceptance that most people strived many years for. Still she set up her profile with the bartender. Dara Blake was the 21-year-old niece to THE Renée Palmer, interning at the Embassy while completing her business degree and was very single.

            As she stood there at the bar sipping a drink someone had sent over, it hadn’t really occurred to her that she was beautiful. She played off all the attracted men and afterward, the attracted women. She only accepted the drinks as she needed a refill. She chose a mild drink to take the edge off her mood. She didn’t notice the man watching from across the patio. It wasn’t until he was sitting next to her that she realized he was there and who he was.

            “Miss Blake. I didn’t realize anyone under 25 could gain admission into the Chesapeake.”

            “Agent Sandoval, I didn’t realize there was an age limit.” She raised her glass to her lips.

            “I took me three years to get in. Consider yourself lucky.”

            “Why so long? I would think anyone of your position and… good looks would be a shoe in.” ‘Ew!’ She thought.

            “You’d be surprised. How are you getting on here?”

            “Very well, thank you.”

            “I want you to know that you can trust me. That goes for both you and your brother. If you need anything… all you have to do is ask me.”

            “That’s very kind.”

            “Mr. Blake already has my personal global code. A very select few have this. Don’t be afraid to use it.” He handed her the disc and left her to her drink.

            “Be careful with that one honey.” The bartender warned her. “Women that get involved with him tend to disappear from this scene.”

            “Not to worry. That’s not a possibility.” She popped the disc into her global.

            ‘Then why did you keep his number?”

            “He’s my boss.” She smiled at him.

            “Oh! I see. You’re looking for a promotion. That is certainly the way to do it.”

--

            “It’s weird that they prefer to share a bed.”

            ‘They shared a womb for the last seven months. Let them.” Boone whispered back to Renée.

            “She took off and came back fired. He knows he scares me. I don’t think its safe for me to keep them anymore.”

            “They can get their own place soon.”

            “But then we can’t keep an eye on them.”

--

            Alex tried to concentrate on the book. Reading it was like reading one of her uncle’s speeches in a more verbose form. She had been in his office tried to find out who he was and the book just screamed out at her. Machiavelli, it just sounded powerful. She put the book in her lap and cocked her head. Yep, he was home.

            “Alexandria.” He said her name and it actually carried into her room from his office.

            “I’m here.”

            “I need to speak with you. Come into my office.” She followed his voice into his office. She sat in a chair across from his desk.

            “I want you to get to know Miss Blake.”

            “That’s a good one.” Alex laughed.

            “What do you find humorous about that?”

            “She obviously doesn’t like me. Plus there’s the whole age difference. I’m 17 she’s 21. We are a whole building of higher education apart.”

            “That shouldn’t keep you from being friendly.”

            “You don’t understand. She treats me like I am beneath her. Then there’s the maturity level, which I am conceding here. I think in terms of cute, fine, good, boys and guys. She thinks in terms of gorgeous, handsome, beautiful men and people.”

            “Do what you can.”

            “Okay, how’s this? I asked if I could call her Dara and she said, ‘You can call me… Miss Blake.’ She really does not like me.”

            “So she prefers title to casual names.”

            “I’m not a mindless underling like Agent Tate, who by the way is hanging around way too much for my comfort. If you pay me more, I still wouldn’t be able to do it. It’s enough that I have to spend the day with her.”

--

            “They’re talking about us again.” Dara whispered.

            “When are they not talking about us?” Daniel answered her and hugged her closer.

            “Sandoval gave me access to contact his personal global tonight. He wants us to trust him.”

            “Do you think we should?”

            “I don’t know. What do you think?”

            “Yes but he doesn’t know about dad yet. We can’t trust him like that until he knows.”

            “Daniel… how much longer do we have to live like this?”

            “Hopefully not long.” Daniel sighed. “I don’t like lying and I’m getting tired of hiding behind this mask.”

            “Me too.”

--

Weeks Later:

            Liam sat with his eyes closed, his hand clenched around his global. He felt, rather than heard, Edana start moving around again. She had meditated for several hours then had started with her capoeira. It was schedule she kept with herself; meditation, exercise, meditation. She was coming back into her normal state of mind but the hole was still there. Dr. Park said she was ready to get back to work as soon as she felt she was able.

            “Liam?”

            “Yeah?”

            “Stop looking for them.”

            “What?!” He spun around to face her eyes wide open.

            “There’s been no ransom, no clue. I don’t remember anything else. It’s not a bad thing.”

            “How can you ask me to stop looking?”

            “I’ve been getting this feeling that they are okay. If something bad had happened… we would have heard by now. I can’t go on looking for something when I don’t know what it is.”

            “Ed… I’m not going to stop. What did you remember that made you decide this?”

            “Liam, you and I had a faulty plan for the delivery I think I may have fixed it. I don’t think they are in danger or hurt.”

            “Really?”

            “It’s just a feeling I got a while earlier.” She opened a window and let the breeze in. “I told you about my dream. This was supposed to happen. I put my trust in fate.”

            “I can’t do that.”

            “I won’t ask you to but that is what I will do. You can keeping looking but… it won’t help.”

--

            “Will?”

            “Yes?” Boone looked up from his screen.

            “Can we talk?”

            “Sure. What about?” She sat on the edge of his desk.

            “We had a plan didn’t we? To keep them safe... Are they together?”

            “Yes.”

            “Thank you.” Edana let out a breath. “Thank you. We never had this conversation.”

            “Of course.” He watched as she pulled herself up and walked out of his office minus the great weight that she had walked in with.

--

            “I am pleased to see that you are with us once again, Agent Martinez.” Da’an and Ke’ri greeted the protector.

            “I am pleased to be back in service.”

            “I am curious, now that your health permits it, will you seek a skrill?”

            “If I am awarded with one, I will be grateful. I know that they are a limited resource now.”

            “Yes, unfortunately that is the case. We will consider it very carefully.” Ke’ri spoke gently. “I however, am being called back to another sector. I will not be here to help make that decision.”

            “May I ask why?”

            “Zo’or’s probation has changed. Ke’ri and Del’an will return to their posts. T’than and Zo’or are the leadership at the moment.” Da’an explained.

            “This is true. After Zo’or’s episode in New York, T’than will be keeping nearby. I will be on the Mothership if you need me Da’an.” Ke’ri left them alone.

            “Agent Martinez, have you met your intern?”

            “No, I regret that I have not met any of them.”

            “Miss Escobar, Miss Blake, Mr. Blake. Please report to my office.” Da’an waved on his datastream. Not five minutes after the stream was closed, the three interns filed into the office.

            “You wanted to see us Da’an?” Alex spoke for the group.

            “Yes. Miss Escobar, Miss Blake, Mr. Blake. This is Agent Martinez. She has returned to us today.”

            Edana stepped forward and shook hands with all of them. “It’s very nice to meet all of you. Nice to see you again Alexandria.”

            “Agent Martinez, I’m glad you are back.”

            “It appears that we are again the outsiders brother.” Miss Blake spoke under her breath.

            “Always sister.” Mr. Blake mumbled back.

            “Yes.” Da’an caught the quiet exchange. “The Blakes are new to us; Renée Palmer’s kin. The children of her siblings as I understand it.”

            “You’ve nailed it on the head Da’an.” Mr. Blake commented. He was nervous. His shared memories with his mother, father and sister ended when they had first become conscious of being alive. That was very early on in her pregnancy. He didn’t know what had gone on in the following six months. Daniel tried very hard to keep his hand from shaking when he shook his mother’s. She was the most beautiful creature that he had ever seen. He glanced at Dara and knew she was having the same internal battle that he was.

            Edana looked over the newcomers. Both were 5’10”, black hair with odd reddish streaks. It was hard to tell race, dark skin but not really brown. Their eyes caught her attention; gray ovals that looked like they could bore right into her soul. They looked alike, if it wasn’t for her long hair, they could pass for one another. They were so serious. Neither of them had cracked a smile.

            “Well, which one of you bright young interns will be at my beck and call?” Edana let a smirk show through.

            “That would be me. Agent Sandoval thought it would be best if you already knew your assistant.” Alex quickly supplied. She got the feeling that the others resented her. Their globals spared her their glares.

            “Please excuse us, Da’an, Agent Martinez.” Mr. Blake nodded to the others and left, his sister following just behind. Once outside the office they both let out a sigh of relief.

            “Guess we can thank grandpa when we see him.” Dara cracked.

            “I know what you mean.”

            “I didn’t think that I would feel anything when I saw her. It hurts little to know she doesn’t know who we really are.”

            “Yeah, we’ve got to keep going. Renée said we have to be careful. There must have been a reason she trusted Renée in the first place.” Daniel stopped her just before they got to Sandoval’s office. “Just remember though. We can’t take it for granted that Palmer is to be trusted. Boone either. It’s really just you and me against them. We can’t even talk to dad cause there’s got to be a reason she didn’t tell him either.”

            “You act like I don’t know this, Daniel. I am not a moron, I’m not… human and neither are you. Don’t go acting superior on me because you’re right. We are all we can trust. It’s just you and me. With our next checks we can get our own place and be away from prying eyes. God knows I don’t want to share a bed with you forever.”

            “Well it’s the only way we can talk and her not hear.”

            “I know that. Let’s go in before he comes looking for us.” They walked into Agent Sandoval’s office.

            “Blake, this is Agent Tate. Tate, these are the Blake twins.”

            “Pleasure, sir.” Dara managed to get out. He bothered her. It was that smirk he wore, like there was a joke he was dying to let them in on.

            “Uh-huh,” was Tate’s response.

            “Nice to make your acquaintance.” Daniel was back in his control mode.

            “Have a seat.” Agent Sandoval gestured to his chairs. They sat. “I need to ask the two of you some more questions. Remember, you can trust me. I must say though, that outside of my presence you are not to trust Agent Tate. Just answer honestly.”

            “Yes sir,” was the response in unison.

            “Where were you born?” Tate started.

            “Salem, New Jersey.” Dara supplied.

            “Where did you grow up?”

            “Spent some time in New York, a little in Jersey. Mostly lived in Tranquility.”

            “How very interesting. I was just telling Agent Sandoval here that Dara and Daniel Blake were not born in Salem. Yes, I did find records in Tranquility but nothing special.”

            “Agent Tate, Dara and I are adopted. We don’t know our biological parents and have no desire to find them. The Blakes treated us like their own.”

            “According to your resumes, you’ve lived in Washington for the entirety of your college schooling thus far. Where have you been living?”

            “With Renée Palmer, our aunt.”

            “There is no record of that.”

            “Should there be?” Daniel turned with a smirk of his own. He found this whole situation amusing. Grandpa Sandoval was trying to blackmail them. “I mean, the life of a college student is on the hectic side. You study where you can, crash where you will and eat what you can find. Technically, we live with Renée but really we just barely exist.”

            “Mr. Blake, just understand that the results of your background checks did not pan out. We are here to clear up any misunderstanding that may have occurred.” Sandoval walked around them.

            “Sure, we understand. This is a high security facility and you are just doing your job. I get the feeling though… that our backgrounds aren’t really the issue here.”

            “I agree Daniel. I get the feeling that these men are looking for something else entirely.” Dara looked over her nails, painted a dark smoky color, and proceeded to pick imaginary lint from her jacket. “I also get the feeling that they do not know what that something else is.”

            “I must concur, Dara. All these questions about where we were born, where we grew up, where we live. Seems a bit odd to be doing a security check after we’ve worked here so long though.”

            “What about your school records? There is no record of Daniel or Dara Blake in any college anywhere.” Tate was determined to get something out of them.

            “Are you sure about that? I’m pretty sure I walk across the stage right after my brother on May 15.”

            “I must say that the two of you are good. Agent Tate is my best man. He’s called you on everything and you’ve simply replied that he’s not looking close enough. You show no concern for what it would mean if he did. Do you realize the severity of the consequences for breaching the security of this facility?”

            “We haven’t breached the security of this facility. I have been in the copy room, your office, Da’an’s office and Commander Boone’s office. I walk in, I walk out.” Dara laid out her day. “That is what I get paid to do.”

            “Da’an’s office? Now I consider that a breach of security.”

            “Da’an asked to see us and Miss Escobar about half an hour ago. Agent Martinez was present.” Daniel joined in.

            “Why are the two of you here? Are you spying for Doors?” Tate bated them.

            “I’m here for the experience.”

            “As am I. I’ve never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Doors. Nephew to Miss Palmer only gets you so far.”

            “I’m a business administration major, not a Navy Seal.”

            “I’m a finance major myself, although I used to want to be a Green Beret. No chance I could get in now is there?”

            “It’s funny that you would ask us to trust you but you don’t trust us.” Dara smiled sweetly.

            “Miss Blake, you are dismissed.” Sandoval finally said. Dara and Daniel exchanged a glance and she was gone.

--

            Augur was polishing his equipment when his new assistant appeared. “There is someone to see you.”

            “You know the rules. No money, no service.” Augur watched his assistant disappear for a minute and then return.

            “She says it’s urgent. She has money but she’s afraid the job is not challenging enough for your brilliant mind.”

            “She? Well then, let her in. Flattery gets you everywhere.” Augur tossed away his rag and went to meet his guest. “Well, who might you be and what can I do for you?”

            “You’re Augur?” The gorgeous woman spoke as she stepped off the lift.

            “Depends on who wants to know.”

            “Do you know Renée Palmer?”

            “I might.”

            “Then you know that she’s not as smart as she thinks.”

            “That’s a given with Renée.” Augur let a big smile loose and he watched as she almost laughed.

            “Well, she did a job for me and my brother…”

            “And there are holes in it. How bad is it?”

            He watched her walk around. She looked over his art and turned in Renée-like fashion. “I believe you’ve heard of Agent Ronald Sandoval.”

            “Unfortunately… yes.”

            “He’s found at least one of the holes and is trying to take advantage of that. You understand my need to fix that problem immediately.”

            “I got you… aren’t you a little young to have that psycho on your tail?”

            “You’d be surprised.” She handed him the disc that Renée had given her with her identity details. He popped it in and looked it over.

            “This looks good, what’s the problem?” She walked behind him and pointed.

            “Nothing checks out. Here in the world of this disc, it’s perfect. You plug it into the real world and it doesn’t fit.”

            “Can I ask about your real details? It might help me fix this.”

            “Think of it this way. I am no one and I live nowhere. This disc gives me my identity.”

            “You don’t work for the government do you?”

            “Well that’s part of my identity. I work in the Embassy.”

            “Resistance?”

            “No. I am neither for nor against at the moment. I’m just trying to survive Sandoval.”

            “You mentioned your brother?” She handed him another disc.

            “Fix it. You’ll get paid for it.”

            “Why don’t I just make you disappear?”

            “Don’t you understand? I could do that myself. I’m am trying to enter society, no questions asked.”

            “Chill. You’re young, no need to be so impatient.” Augur started redoing the entire thing. She paced a straight line, short and quick steps along three feet. “Have a seat, or you could go and come back later and it’ll be done.”

            “I’ll sit. I can’t leave until those are perfect. My brother is still with Sandoval now.”

            “Ah, I see the rush now. Okay before I throw myself into this… what’s my compensation?”

            “Renée will take care of it.”

            “That woman never pays me.” Augur crossed his arms and stepped away from the computer.

            “Then I’ll offer you my services.” He looked bored. “Trust me, it’ll be worth your while to have me owe you something.”

--

            “Ms. Palmer.”

            “Ms. Palmer? What did I do wrong?” Renée looked up from her screen at Liam.

            “Who are the Blake twins?”

            “My niece and nephew. Why? Did they get into trouble already?” She tried to act casual but Liam’s eyes burned with something she couldn’t define.

            “You don’t have any siblings that would have been old enough to have children.”

            “They’re adopted.”

            “Right but your sister died when she was 16, not old enough to adopt.”

            “What’s your point?”

            “Renée, Sandoval and Tate were talking to them earlier.”

            “They work there, of course he’s going to talk to them.”

            “No, let me rephrase. I mean I believe that Sandoval and Tate were interrogating them. So who are they?”

            “Sandoval’s paranoid if he thinks two 21-year-old kids can be a threat to him. They’re harmless… attitude problems maybe but harmless.”

            “If they are anything like you, they are anything but harmless.”

            “You flatter me Liam. I’d never hurt anyone.” Her eyes danced with laughter.

            “Just watch your step Renée, if your kids slip, I’m not covering for them.”

--

            “AUGH!”

            “Are you okay?” Augur hopped over his couch and hovered over the crumpled form. “Dara?”

            She curled up tighter, clenching her fists. “Just call Daniel. The override key is in my global. Get him now!”

            “Your brother right?”

            “Yes! Oh God!” She held her fists tight against her stomach. This was the first she had felt of them and it was painful. Dara lay curled up like that for what seemed like forever. She didn’t even realize someone was there until she felt herself being lifted up and carried to a bed. She made sure her fists were closed against her stomach; she couldn’t let anyone see them. Slowly the pain subsided, only to come back quickly. During the waves of calming she could hear talking.

            “Dara Blake. Yeah I know her, she’s Boone’s intern. She’s a strong girl; it must be bad whatever it is. Her and her brother walk around like they are made of stone. I work with Daniel, that boy is cold.”

            “Well, like I was saying, she comes to me with this story that Renée botched her job on their I.D.s and she asked me to fix them. She was pacing around then she was sitting. I was almost done when she started screaming. She didn’t say what was wrong just to call Daniel.”

            Then the wave of pain was back and she bit back the screams. When it was going away she heard voices again. “Where is she?”

            “Back there, she seems fine. Can you tell us what’s wrong with her?”

            “Major. It’s a private problem. That’s why she asked for me and not a doctor. Take me to her.” Then the steps were coming closer, booming in her head. It was too soon for anyone to know. “Dara?”

            “Daniel?” He brushed hair out of her face.

            “Yeah it’s me. Can we have a minute please?” Then his voice got softer. “What’s wrong? I could feel it when it first started happening.”

            “Are they gone?”

            “Yeah.”

            “It’s my shaqarava. They hurt so badly. The same thing could happen to you.”

            “We won’t worry about that right now. What are we going to tell them?”

            “Them?”

            “Augur and … and Dad.”

            “Well now we have to tell him something. I mean I came here to fix the problems with the I.D.s.”

            “I’ve got that covered. Come on. Are you all right to get up?”

            “Yeah for now, but we’d better be quick.” Daniel half carried, half walked her into the main room.

            “Thank you Major and… I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.”

            “Augur.”

            “Thank you Augur. I have to get her home. Do you have the I.D.s ready by chance?”

            “I do.” Augur stood with his arms crossed.

            “May I ask why the two of you would need them? Surely Renée Palmer’s niece and nephew wouldn’t be questioned.” Liam leaned back in his chair. “I mean… what are you hiding?”

            “Nothing. I can’t discuss it with you.”

            “Why’s that?” Liam examined his nails. “Are you afraid that I’ll tell Sandoval?”

            “No, because I know you wouldn’t.” Daniel set Dara down in a chair and gathered her global and her purse.

            “Why wouldn’t I?”

            “The leader of the Resistance rat out anyone? Doesn’t seem logical.”

            “Who’s the leader of the Resistance?” Liam looked around.

            “Come off it. I know who you are… my dad was Resistance.”

            “Was?”

            “You could say it runs in the family. Mom, dad, Aunt Renée… Renée, Dara and I are the last of our family and we intend to stay alive.”

            “So these I.D.s, they are more for you’re protection because your parents were known Resistance activists.”

            “Right. Can we leave now? My sister is very ill.”

            “What’s wrong? Maybe we can help.”

            “You can’t.” Dara sat up and spoke. She gathered her strength and took her things from Daniel then she walked over to Augur. “You will get paid. This is my global code. Remember what I said.”

            She walked out with her head held high. Her face was a stonewall. Daniel followed her out.

            “What do you suppose is wrong with her?” Augur pondered aloud after the doors had shut.

            “Could be anything and I’m not a doctor. I feel like I have to protect them. Sandoval is already on to them.”

            “She told me she was not Resistance.”

            “She doesn’t have to be. Her parents were. In Sandoval’s book that’s just the same.” Liam put his face in his hands.

            “Liam, I think that you’re associating too much with them. You’ve talked about them for days. I think you’ve latched on.”

            “Why would I do that?” Liam looked at Augur, exasperated.

            “Why else? They are young twins missing their parents, living with the next best thing. You lost your twins… you are wanting the next best thing.” Augur sighed when Liam’s face hardened. “I’m sorry Liam. That’s just what it looks like.”

--

            “You did what?!” Renée paced the length of her apartment.

            “Sandoval was on to us. We had to fix it.”

            “Yeah, he and Tate saw through those old ones. Dara went to Augur and they fixed it. Next time Tate wants to do a search he’ll find something.”

            “I got that… what’s this about you collapsing at Augur’s?”

            “How’d you know about that?”

            “Liam told me.” Renée stared at them hard. “He called me very concerned about your health, he wanted to know what was wrong.”

            “What did you tell him?”

            “Flashbacks and headaches. He seemed to buy it because apparently my sister and brother-in-law were Resistance.”

            “We had to tell him something.” Daniel stood up. “If we can’t tell him who we really are, then we have to make something up.”

            “Why can’t we tell him?” Dara spoke up.

            “Liam has this way of getting distracted when he cares about people. There are a lot of people counting on him and if he focuses on the two of you… it puts the rest of us in danger.” Renée sighed. “This is what your mother wanted. She knows him better than anyone else. She had to have her reasons.”

            “We’re moving out.” Daniel spoke up.

            “What? Why?” Renée was just tired at this point.

            “The reason is why you want us to stay here. I feel like my every move is being watched, recorded, analyzed. Did Mr. Doors tell you to? I know there are cameras and bugs everywhere. You treat us like animals and we become animals.”

--

            Edana was sitting in her office completing some paperwork when Alex wandered in and dropped into a chair.

            “Something wrong Alex?”

            “The Machiavellian twins left me here alone so I’ve been running around trying to keep up with Will and Uncle Ron.”

            “They aren’t that bad are they?”

            “Yes they are. They each prefer to be called by their surname but if they are both in the same room I must attach the appropriate title. Today though, Miss Blake disappears but apparently she told Will and no one else that she was leaving. Then Mr. Blake picks up and leaves, telling no one. I’m the one who had to pick up the slack.”

            “They’re grad students. They treat everyone that way.”

            “You haven’t spent much time with them have you?”

            “No, just that little bit in Da’an’s office. They seemed nice enough.”

            “You know what’s scary… they remind me of Uncle Ron.”

            “Really? How so?”

            “It’s the way they seem to look through you instead of at you. And when they do look at you, you could swear they were examining your molecular structure.” Alex straightened her blouse. “They are just so perfect when one of you guys are around and it’s like they turn into co-conspirators when they think no one is looking.”

            “That’s interesting. I’ll have to keep my eye on them.” Edana tapped her desk.

--

            The woman walked out of the Embassy. She now knew the point where she could strike. Now, to get the target there and to recruit a new team. She was tired of the morons who botched jobs like in Texas and the one in Ireland. This time it would be done right. No working with Zo’or this time. He didn’t know how humans thought. If he wanted them dead, they would get dead.

 

To be continued…