Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Title: Awakenings
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com

 

Awakenings


Liam walked into the Embassy and missed all the bustle because he went straight to his office. Sandoval wasn't in his office yet and he hated it when Liam was there first, so Liam was always early. Honestly he didn't know why they were kept at the Embassy if Zo'or was on the Mothership. Then again he didn't really care for the Mothership all that much. A few moments later, Sandoval walked in and looked annoyed then sat at his desk.
"Morning, Major."
"Good morning, Agent Sandoval."
"Why are you here?"
"I work here." Liam thought this was odd.
"Yes, but I figured you'd be down in the lab."
"Why would I be down in the lab?"
"No one has told you?"
"Told me what?" Alarms went off in Liam's head.
"Agent Martinez collapsed this morning."
"What!?" Liam's heart lurched.
"I'll give you a few days. Go on." He said sounding concerned, a bit. Liam didn't need to be told twice. He nodded his leave and rushed down to the lab. Liam's mind raced, 'My God. What could've happened?'
He approached the laboratories in the Embassy. There was movement around two of the labs. Liam picked one and moved toward it.
"Liam! I was wondering when you were going to get down here." Dr. Belman called out from the other room.
"What happened?"
"I don't know exactly. Da'an didn't say."
"Da'an?"
"Yeah, he was there when she collapsed but we don't know what made her collapse."
"How is she? Where is she?"
"She's in there but she's still unconscious." Liam's eyes went wide. "No one has told you anything?"
"No. Agent Sandoval said he was surprised to see me at work and he gave me some time off. He told me she had collapsed, I didn't know that she..."
"Talk to Da'an, maybe he'll tell you."
"I'll do that. Can I go in first?"
"Yeah. Go ahead." Belman turned at led him into the room. He walked over to the bed and stared at her. Someone had changed her out of her clothes and into a hospital gown. He caressed her face and held her hand. Edana didn't move. A hint of tears showed in his eyes.
"She was fine last night, just tired." Liam swallowed.
"Did you see her last night?"
"Yeah, she made me leave early. She had an early meeting with Da'an this morning. I went back later and she was asleep and she was gone when I woke up." Liam never took his eyes off her for a second.


*******


"Your Implant is incapacitated. You cannot remain on Earth."
"Why must I leave? You do not venture onto Earth of late and your Implant and his assistant grow restless. They are not active and will soon be unable to work with one another." Zo'or just glared at Da'an.
"How is it your protector has fallen?" Zo'or smirked.


*******


"No one knows what happened?" Liam asked again. He was outside her room talking to Dr. Belman.
"For the tenth time, Liam. NO."
"So you don't know what's wrong?"
"Not without knowing what happened this morning. Really, by all means she should be awake but she isn't and I can't figure it out. I didn't fing any physical trauma and I can't detect any illness. I'm sorry Liam."
"Yeah." He ran his fingers through his hair.
"Hey Liam!" Lili ran up to meet them. "What happened?"
"What do you know already?"
"I got here and Martinez wasn't here. I went to Sandoval's and you weren't there. He told me to check down here for you. I think something's wrong with him, he seemed a little nicer than usual."
Lili looked at the grave expressions on their faces and found it confusing. Liam sighed and sat in a chair. Dr. Belman took this as her cue.
"Agent Martinez appears to be in a coma of sorts."
"How?"
"All we know is that she collapsed this morning and she's been this way ever since." She gestured to the opening of Edana's room.


*******


Sandoval stood before Zo'or, who was not in the best of moods, but then when was he ever in a good mood.
"Where is Major Kincaid? I desired that you both be here." Zo'or barked impatiently.
"Major Kincaid is in the lab, sir."
"What business does he have there?"
"Agent Martinez is being kept there, sir."
"That doesn't tell me why he is there instead of here."
"He and Agent Martinez are rather close. He was upset to hear of her condition and he is there watching over her."
"There are doctors to watch over her." Zo'or closed his eyes for a moment. "Am I to understand that although your assistant is close to Agent Martinez, you are unable to bring me any information about her?"
"I am sorry, Zo'or. It is not... professional to discuss one's personal life with those you work with." Sandoval explained weakly.
"Then how is it you know that Major Kincaid and Agent Martinez are... close."
"I have observed them on many occasions, and they appear to be... very closely linked."
"Agent Sandoval, you are dangerously close to being terminated. I suggest that you find everything you can through Major Kincaid. Now back to the purpose of this meeting. Seeing how Da'an's protector is incapacitated you and Major Kincaid will lend your services to Da'an and Capt. Marquette. You are dismissed."
Sandoval bowed and exited the bridge. 'Damnit!'


*******


Boone sat up and felt strangely refreshed as if he had slept a month straight through. He looked around realized he was in a Taelon laboratory, not one of his favorite places to wake up. He was alone at least. Confused he glanced around once more. 'How did I get here? Or better yet, where are my clothes?'
Looking at the door he couldn't see much, except that no one walked past the door which meant it was late. He watched for several more minutes, if he called out no one would hear him anyway. All he had was the sheet he was covered with, and he couldn't seem to find any call buttons. 'I guess I'll just have to wait here... Never mind.' He wrapped the sheet around himself and got up. 'I'll find Da'an, he usually gives me answers.'


*******


Liam walked into Da'an's office. The Taelon was staring out the window, looking over the city. He turned and watched Liam approach.
"What's going on?"
"How is she?"
"Still unconscious. What happened this morning?" Da'an turned away, fingers fidgeting rapidly.
"An experiment had unplanned results."
"So what are you saying?"
"She should have awakened."
"What happened?" Liam asked more firmly.
"That's what I'd like to know." Boone said from the ramp leading into the office. Liam's eyes went wide as he recognized the figure walking toward him wrapped in a sheet.
"I see that you have awakened." Da'an said casually.
"Yeah. First question, Where are my clothes?"
"How is this possible Da'an?" Liam was in shock.
"Well first someone takes them off me and then hides them so that when I wake up... no clothes." Boone relied sarcastically.
"Major Kincaid. Find the Commander some clothes."
"Major Kincaid? That name sounds familiar... Do I know you?" Boone was racking his brain to find where he had heard the name before. Liam left without a word, just a glance at Da'an.
"How are you feeling Commander?"
"Well rested although I cannot recall how I ended up in a laboratory."
"You do not remember your encounter with Ha'gel?"
"Ha'gel...?" He thought for a moment then his eyes flew wide. "Was he stopped?"
"Yes, very effectively. You destroyed him yourself."
"I did?"
"Yes. You were injured by him before he... met the void."
"I do not know why I cannot recall any of this. I remember the assignment to hunt for him but nothing afterward."
"How very unfortunate?" Liam walked into the room carrying a stack of clothes.
"Major Kincaid? That is your name, right? I noticed that you do not have a skrill. Are you an Implant?"
"I most certainly am not." Liam thrust the clothes into Boone's arms.
"Well then... if you'll excuse me Da'an."
"Please. You may use my private chambers." Da'an gestured to the ramp.
"Thank you." Boone shuffled up the ramp the best he could while trying to keep his decency.
"Is this the experiment? Is he why Edana doesn't answer when I speak to her? Or why she doesn't respond to my touch? She can't tell us what's wrong and you won't." Liam spat out impassioned, his eyes were pained and filling with tears.
"Yes, but I cannot risk an open investigation into this project of mine. It has succeeded and I am grateful for it."
"Why did you do it? Who gave you the right to decide that he should return? How did you do it?"
Da'an just stared at Liam. He had never seen him react to anything like this before.
"I don't care what you do with him as long as I get her back... I feel as if someone were ripping out my insides. I need her. Edana has become a part of me and I will not let her lie there like that forever if I can help it."
Da'an walked over to Liam and placed a hand on his chest and Da'an felt his pain. Liam wrapped his arms around the Taelon in a great big hug. Boone came walking down the ramp now dressed and carrying the sheet in his arms. He paused at the base and watched the motherly gesture of Da'an stroking the young man's back.
"She will be well soon enough. She just overexerted herself in our experiment." Da'an spoke softly and then noticed Boone watching them.
"Commander. I hope the clothes are to your liking." Liam stood straight again and removed his arms from their embrace of the Taelon.
"Yes. Thank you." He glanced warily at Liam who was trying to regain control of himself. "I was wondering when I could get back to work again."
Da'an turned and stared at him. Liam stood straight and the tears that had been forming were gone. Liam stared at him for a moment.
"Da'an, didn't you tell Commander Boone what happened?" Boone looked wary. "It has been one year and nearly two days since the day you died."
"Liam, you could be a little more tactful about it. He had nothing to do with Edana's condition. If you are angry, be angry with me." Da'an cut off Liam's little tantrum. Boone didn't believe a word of it.
"You have to tell him anyway and there is really only one way to do it. Tell him and them show him." Liam said. Boone looked at Da'an who blushed blue.
"Show me what?"


*******

Lili was at Augur's. She was worried about Liam. He had left the lab earlier that evening and hadn't spoken to her since. Augur came out of the kitchen with two glasses of tea and handed her one.
"Still can't find him, huh."
"No. He turned off his global at the lab. He's probably talking to Da'an."
"So no one knows what happened, she just collapsed."
"That's the story they're giving out."
"Do you think it's true?"
"I don't know. I would normally say it was Zo'or but Da'an was with her last." Lili sighed. "I just wish I knew how Liam was taking all this. He doesn't discuss how he feels about her, just that he does. He was really quiet all afternoon. He just sat there and stared at her like she was gonna wake up at any moment. I don't know what I'd do if anything like this happened to me... or to you."
Lili swallowed hard. She didn't cry but that sinking feeling was there. She'd seen and experienced so much that she couldn't bear to watch one of her friend go through anguish like this.
Augur wrapped his arms around her and held her as she fought tears. Augur was also worried about Liam but someone had to keep their head. There's no telling what Liam would do if he found out there was more to it than just collapsing into a coma. Augur for one didn't buy this story. He knew enough to figure the Taelons were behind this, especially since Liam noticed that his 'trusted' Taelon wasn't telling him everything.


*******


Edana was trapped. Her energy was spent. It had taken so long to get Will to agree to go with her that once he was back in his body, she couldn' t get to hers quick enough. Another minute or two and she might have been trapped outside her body permanently. She was back inside her body but she couldn't wake up. She had heard Liam and Julianne talking but it had seemed like ages ago. Apparently no one knew what had happened to her and they were all stumped. Da'an appeared not to be talking to anyone. Not that it would do any good for them to know, there wasn't any medicine that would magically wake her up.
It was really her fault. She had stayed up talking to Ron half the night. It was always too much fun arguing with him. In fact, so much fun that she didn't notice the time until it was too late. It was 2 AM when she had signed off with Ron and at 2:30 AM she had heard Liam walk in. He crashed on the couch. He hadn't come near her in months. Edana was beginning to think that something was wrong. Then again Liam was the type to keep his intentions honorable, although that didn't explain their first date.
Right now her main concern was getting her body to respond. She wouldn't last long in this state. She had never had trouble before, but then she had never stayed long in either plane, much less ventured into both at one time.


*******


D.C.  Arlington Memorial Cemetery
"Do you understand now?"
"How is this possible? I can't be dead. I'm standing here."
"Look at the date on the tombstone, now look at this." Liam handed Boone his global.
"A year?" Boone sank to the ground in front of his tombstone and glanced again at the global.
"That's what I've been telling you."
"Liam, please. William Boone has been in what Humans call 'limbo', he does not know everything that has gone on since he has left us."
"Did Ha'gel kill me?"
"No. Actually you were Zo'or's victim. He decided that you shouldn't live the rest of your short life in pain and ended it for you."
"I thought Taelons couldn't kill."
"You know that Zo'or is not like the rest of us. He bends our law to serve his selfish nature."
"How could Quo'on allow this?"
"Quo'on was not made aware." Da'an replied.
"Why not?"
"By the time anyone knew anything for sure. Quo'on was dead." Liam answered for Da'an who had turned blue at the memory.
"How is it that I am here now?" Boone stood and looked directly at Da'an.
"I would also like to know." Liam turning his gaze on Da'an.
Da'an told the story quickly and didn't bother to explain about Sparrow's work on the biosurrogates. Boone just nodded, he'd get everything he needed to know from someone else, since apparently it was common knowledge the way Kincaid was nodding at some of this stuff.
"Do you understand?"
"I didn't know she could do that."
"She can."
"She never told me she could."
"And what have you not told her, Liam?" Da'an reprimanded. Liam hung his head. "You claim to feel so strongly for her and yet you cannot tell her the most important fact about yourself."
"Did I miss something here?" Boone interrupted.
"Try about a year." Liam muttered under his breath.
"It is not important at this point. Liam take Com. Boone somewhere... safe."
"No. I can't take him there Da'an. People live there now."
"Can you think of a more appropriate place? Or would you rather Zo'or found him and sent him back into the void?"
"I have to stay with Edana." 'Edana, now why is that name familiar?' Boone mused to himself.
"You will do as I ask."
"If I do, there are people who will be torn apart by this!" Liam pointed at Boone.
"This! I am a Human being. From what I understand I still outrank you. Anyway, what kind of respect is this that you show Da'an. Follow orders like a good soldier, Major."
"He is correct." Da'an gave Liam a knowing look.
"Fine. Let's go. We'll take you back to the Embassy first." Liam turned to Da'an as they walked to the shuttle. "I will not be responsible for what happens."


*******


Augur's Lair
Augur felt like he had just gone to sleep when he heard someone moving around in his home. Lili was still lying next to him so he figured it was Liam and started to go back to sleep. Then he heard voices, two of them, both male. 'Who the hell did he bring back this time?' Augur got up and pulled on some pants. He stepped out in to the main room and stopped.
"Where is everyone? When did this place change?"
"After Doors started his Presidential campaign."
"It looks like Augur did the decorating. Did you say Pres-? Damn. I missed a lot. This looks familiar, Augur's?" Boone looked over the computer.
"Yeah." Liam said as he noticed Augur standing there white as a ghost. Boone followed Liam's gaze. Augur started to walked forward and almost fell.
"Oh my God! This is not possible." Augur managed to get these words out as he approached this new arrival.
"Are you alright, Augur?"
"But you're.... you're dead." It was barely a whisper. Boone didn't know how to react to this, being newly living wasn't something one knew exactly how to deal with.
"Is it you? Will? Say something!"
"Yeah, Augur, it's me. It's Will." With that Augur hugged his long lost friend. Tears streamed down Augur's face.
"How...? Liam?"
"He'd better tell you. I'm not in the best of moods. I'm sure you two want to catch up on a year's worth of happenings, so I'll steal your bed for awhile." Liam left through the door Augur had just come through. He fumbled through the dark until he found the bed, where he crashed. The stress of a fun-filled day with the Taelons was taking its toll on him. He had just closed his eyes when he felt a hand on him. He reopened his eyes and looked to his right. Lili lay by his side and was obviously mistaking him for Augur.
"Lili." he whispered.
"Hmm."
"I really think you should move your hand before Augur gets jealous." She was awake now.
"Liam! Where's Augur?" Liam chuckled as Lili sat up and pulled a shirt from the floor over her head.
"He's talking to an old friend." She got up and started for the door.
"Lili, wait." She stopped and looked at him. "You are not gonna believe what you're gonna see in there, just promise me that right before you scream, you'll remember that... that I'm trying to sleep in here."
Lili rolled her eyes and walked out. She wasn't a screamer and what was he talking about, not believing what she was gonna.... "Oh my God!"
"Lili?" Boone said as she sank to her knees in the middle of the room. He rushed to her side and helped her back to her feet. She cried as she held his face in her hands. She kissed his face and hugged him to her.
"Will. How? Why?"
"Come sit and I'll tell you both."


*******


Sandoval walked into Edana's room and sat next to her bed. He was surprised to see that Liam wasn't there with her. He had seen him go talk to Da'an and hadn't seen him since. Sandoval wished she would wake up and yell at him or something. She was always fighting with him and he usually fought back. Last night, though, she had gotten mad because he was being difficult about Kincaid. What could he do? He hated the guy, but he was going to have to do something to keep Zo'or away from Edana, even if it meant befriending the bastard.


*******


All of the next day Liam spent in Edana's room, thinking. He wondered what was going on inside her that prevented her from waking. He was feeling empty, hollow. As he sat there, he meditated up to a familiar plane, he tried to re-energize himself. Liam had gotten little sleep. As predicted Lili did let out a good scream before she accepted Boone as alive. He just couldn't sleep, he laid in Augur's bed for several hours before he gave up and got out of bed and walked into the main room. Then Lili and Augur had bombarded him with questions about why Boone was alive now. This didn't last long because Boone was sleeping and no one wanted to wake him up. Liam, try as he might to hate William Boone was finding a difficult time of it, he really couldn't blame Boone for Edana. There was one being who could take that and that was Da'an, but Liam couldn't do that either, Da'an was like a wise old aunt or uncle.
Liam spent all day sitting next to her bed. Dr. Belman went in a few times to check on Edana. Lili stopped by to see how he was doing, then she left for the day. Da'an went in late in the afternoon to check on her himself, there was nothing he could do for her that had not already been done. Her face didn't seem the same as it had the day before. Normally there was a light around her face which now seemed to be fading. It had been 36 hours since she had succumb to this coma-like state, and there was no change. He couldn't describe the jumble of emotions he was going through. Da'an said that he was finally catching up with his body, whatever that meant. Then Sandoval had joined them, Da'an needed escorts at all times, orders from Zo'or.
"Any change, Major." The Companion Agent asked in his usual toneless voice.
"None." Liam sighed.
"I fear that she may give up if she cannot return to us." Da'an said.
"What?" Sandoval was confused.
"Did you not know of Agent Martinez's gifts? She led me to believe that you and she were very close for most of your lives. Is this false?"
"No, Da'an. It is true but I never believed any of that myself."
"Even from your own grandparent?" Sandoval just looked down. Then Da'an turned his head as if he had heard something, he seemed to listen for a moment then blushed.
"Major, perhaps there is an affection that she needs to be aware of before she can return to us. If this is the case you should tell her. If the affection is there and is returned there may more which will follow." Liam looked at Da'an in confusion. Liam was used to Da'an's enigmatic way of speaking but that made no sense to him what so ever.
"Spoon?" Liam said not even realizing the word had escaped him. Da'an looked confused himself at the word and even more so after he heard a strange sound coming from Sandoval. Da'an turned to look at his borrowed protector, who was trying to suppress a chuckle.
"Is there something the matter Agent Sandoval?" The Agent shook his head, he was afraid to open his mouth to answer or else he would burst out laughing. 'How can Kincaid keep a straight face?'
"Agent Sandoval? Please, explain your reaction to Major Kincaid's response." Sandoval couldn't stand it any longer and started laughing. Liam looked confused for a moment and then a memory surfaced that explained the meaning of 'spoon'. He chuckled himself.
"Obviously there is a private joke of some sort that I am not meant to be let in on." Da'an left the room and Sandoval followed while trying to regain his normal stoic appearance. 'Dammit, I slipped again.'
Liam sighed and turned his eyes back on Edana. He picked up her motionless hand and kissed it. He rubbed it between his own and began humming. The song had been in his head all day and he needed an outlet.
"Major?" Sandoval poked his head into the room.
"Yes."
"Let me know if anything changes. She's... well you understand." With that Sandoval again left Liam alone with Edana.
"Yeah. I understand." he said to himself. He laid his head down next to her, he just wanted to rest for a moment. Liam was still humming the song he'd heard at Augur's two days earlier. It made him feel better. Edana was never one for absolute quiet, there was always at least soft music in her apartment. A lot of the time she sang to whatever happened to come out of her radio, which was always set to an oldies station.  She knew so much 20th century music as well as the classics.
Soon, he was asleep. He still held her hand in his sleep. A glow came from his hand and his Shakarava sent blue sparks went up her arm. Suddenly she breathed in deep and sighed, but neither woke from their deep sleep.


*******


The Next Morning
Edana opened her eyes, she felt completely refreshed as she attempted to stretch. She found it difficult with an IV in her arm and Liam gripping her hand. She tried to sit up but Liam's head was on her leg. She smiled, he looked almost angelic when he slept. He moved a little but remained asleep. She thought about the dream she had. Edana had had that dream before but she could never remember it the way she did now. It was almost disturbing, the dream happened the same way everytime.
Edana was in a man's embrace, very familiar and warm. Then suddenly she was tired and she held a newborn child in her arms. At this point she looked to her right to give the child to someone standing nearby, then the dream ended. This time however, she could tell that the child was a girl. She had always believed that people had prophetic dreams but she doubted her own ability to have them. Edana never knew who held her in his arms or who stood beside her bed and reached for her baby. 'Yes. It was my baby.'
The door opened and Dr. Belman stepped into the room.
"My God..." Dr. Belman whispered upon seeing her patient awake after having spent the last two days in a comatose state. "When did you wake up?"
"Sshh. He's asleep. Just a few moments ago." Edana tried once more to sit up without disturbing Liam.
"Do you remember what happened?" Dr. Belman walked over to help her manuver around the tubes. She took some readings off the machines.
"No." she lied.
"You collapsed two mornings ago, and that's about all anyone knows."
"Really? I cannot recall a thing." As she lied, Liam stirred but this time he opened his eyes.
"Rise and shine." Dr. Belman chuckled.
"Wha-?" He lifted his head and upon seeing Edana awake pulled her into a warm hug.
"I'll leave you two for a moment." She left to study her results.
"Liam, what's wrong? You act as if you almost lost me." Edana put her hands on his face.
"I thought I might have."
"No. I was put on this Earth for some reason other than dying on you." She smiled at him as he moved to sit on the bed next to her.
"I..."
"Sshh. I'm fine. I feel fine. I'm sorry if I scared you  but it was my own fault anyway." She thought he looked like a lost little boy.
"What happened?"
"I... I don't remember."
"Come on. Da'an told me everything but there has to be more."
"What did he tell you?"
"You know what? We'll talk about this later." he sighed. "I almost forgot but..."
Liam pulled out his global and punched a button. He waited a few seconds, then handed her the global. She took it, but was a little confused.
"Sandoval. Thank God." Then Sandoval straightened up a little. "I'm glad to see you're with us again, Agent Martinez."
"Me too, me too." She glanced at Liam with gentle eyes. 'They must have... no, that's thinking a little too optimistically. Last thing I heard was that Tick word that Ron used to always bug her with.'
"Martinez I will speak to you when you return."
"Yeah Bye." A thoughtful espression crossed her face. It had just occurred to her that she couldn't remember how she had regained control of her body. She remembered hearing Liam, Ron, and Da'an, who spoke in riddles, she remembered hearing Liam humming and then nothing until her dream. Ironic that she could see and feel but couldn't hear on one plane, and vice versa on another.
"What's wrong?" Liam took the global from her hand and closed it.
"Nothing. I just want to get out of here and into my own clothes." she gestured to the gown she wore.
"We'll see what Dr. Belman says."
"Well, thank you for ... being here with me these past two days."
"You knew I was here?" She nodded and leaned forward. They kissed. Then the door opened admitting Da'an into the room.
"Am I interrupting?" The Taelon asked with tilted head as if he was puzzled by this show of affection.
"No. Not at all." Liam muttered as he stood to face his former employer.
"Major. May I have a moment with Agent Martinez?"
"Of course." Liam turned back to the bed. "I'll be by later to check in."
Liam left, wondering what they were going to talk about.
"Dr. Belman thinks you should stay another day or two for observation. Do you believe this to be necessary?"
"No. I feel fine."
"How is it that you have returned to us?"
"I don't know. I was in a state of consciousness but I could not see nor feel. I had a dream last night, like the others but clearer, then I awoke just a short while ago."
"Evidently. I will speak to Dr. Belman."
"Da'an? Where's Will?"
"He is safe. Maj. Kincaid has hidden him away."


*******


"Run that by me one more time." Lili requested. They were having coffee in Augur's kitchen. Augur was cooking breakfast for the three of them.
"She a psychic?" Augur raised his spatula at Boone.
"Something like that but not quite. Da'an tried to explain but I don't think I was paying much attention."
"Why not?"
"He and Major Kincaid started talking as if I wasn't there, and I was a bit distracted by the view. By the way, who is this Kincaid? The name sounds familiar but I can't place the face."
Augur looked at Lili uneasily.
"He's a.... well... when you died, he took over as Da'an's protector and just recently he was demoted and transferred. He works directly for Sandoval now." Lili did her best to explain without giving away Liam's secret.
"Really, where do you fit in all this?" Augur set a plate in front of Boone, he began to devour the food ravenously.
"I was assigned to Sandoval and now I work for Martinez." Lili looked at the food in front of her but didn't eat.
"Okay. I think I got that. Now who wants to explain why headquarters is empty and looks like Augur did the interior decorating." Augur shot him a look.
"Alright. If you won't answer that one... then tell me about this." Boone gestured to the two of them. Lili looked flustered and Augur grinned sheepishly.


*******


Liam walked into Dr. Belman's office, where she was looking at a series of images on the screen.
"So what did I need to see?" He walked over behind her.
"This... these are brain scans from Agent Martinez." She gestured to the images she had by studying. "This one was taken the day she was implanted, she naturally had high brain function. This next one was taken two mornings ago when she first became unconscious, notice the brain activity is somewhat lower. Now this one... is from yesterday morning when she awakened."
"Higher brain activity?"
"Right. now do you know how she woke up?"
"No. I was asleep until you saw me that morning."
"So you didn't do this?"
"I didn't think I could." Liam rubbed his palms.
"The reason I ask is, I don't think that happens on it's own." She looked at him hard.
"Well, I wasn't there all night... maybe someone else was there. Are there security tapes?"
"Yes, but I don't have access to them, you'll have to get them."
"Alright, then that's what I'll do."


*******

"Where have you been?" Edana said from her bed. The IV had been removed as was most of the equipment.
"I was talking to Dr. Belman." Liam sat on the edge of the bed.
"So when can I get out of here?"
"That is up to the good doctor. Listen, there's a reporter going up to the Mothership tomorrow. Everyone is gonna be up there, so I'll see you later. I want you to rest and keep up your strength."
"So is the reporter?"
"Some tabloid journalist, she's supposed to be good for PR, but I don't like it."
"Oh." Edana didn't like the sound of a female reporter. She was possessive, sure. Like the time she had been locked in her quarters for hours. That Joyce Belman was not a welcome creature, and Edana hadn't even started seeing Liam at that point.
"Liam, I wanted to ask you..." She glanced at the open doorway warily. "How is Will doing?"
"So you do remember. He's doing fine, he is among friends."
"How did he take it?"
"Well. Considering the circumstances... he is a resilient man. He'd bounce back from anything."

To Be Continued...