Copyright ©1999-2000, Dot. All rights reserved.  No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998-2000, Tribune Entertainment Co.
Rating: R.
Title: The Courtship of Captain Marquette

Author: Dot

Authors Note: A BIG thanks to BoredTech and Janis for taking the loads of time it took to format this story.

Webmasters Note: This story deals with a same gender romantic relationship and varied sexual situations. This story is graphic and detailed, so read at your own risk. If you are offended by same gender pairings or material of an adult nature please read no further. 
On a personal note: I LOVED THIS STORY! Dottie wrote it as a gift for me about a year ago when I was complaining that were really wasn't any good Lili/Da'an adult fanfic out there that I was aware of. So she sent the story to me a page or two at a time and I fell in love with it, she managed to be so descriptive that I could easily see what she was describing and honestly I plan on recreating that hot tub look at home! (With earth based materials of course=) I hope you all enjoy this story as much as I did and I hear Dottie is no longer even writing EFC Fic so if you enjoy this story PLEASE email Dot (or sign her guestbook) and let her know! Her adult fic is wonderful, I'm still laughing from her story "An Itch You Cant Scratch" we need to get that girl writing more!

 

The Courtship of Captain Marquette

 

 

Lili slammed the door as she entered her apartment, wrenching her keys out of the lock and flinging them across the room. They landed neatly into her potted cactus, the ring circling the tallest one like a horseshoe on a peg.

No one looking at her would ever guess the murderous thoughts that were racing through her mind. Kicking off her black satin 4-inch heels she threw herself into a chair in front of the TV and began flipping through the channels with the remote.

“Loreal because I’m worth it”

“You’re worth it? You aging bimbo, why are you worth anything?”

(Flip)

“Las Vegas is for lovers, make his dreams come true”

“His dreams? Why does it always have to be his dreams?”

“Arrrgh!” The remote followed the path of her keys. Her aim accurate as always caused a good portion of the cactus was shortened by a few centimeters.

            “Captain Marquette?” the soft voice seemed to come from behind her.

“Da’an?” Lili jumped up embarrassed and then realized that indeed the voice WAS coming from behind her, from the Vid screen to be exact.

“Da’an I’m sorry were you waiting long?” Lili was hoping Da’an only just popped on and had not witnessed her display of temper.

The Taelon made a graceful movement of dismissal with her hand.

“I was worried Captain Marquette I saw that you and your…escort left the Gala early”

“My escort and I had a few words and I thought it best that we leave and not disturb your other guest Da’an.”

“Very thoughtful of you Captain Marquette but unnecessary.”

 Lili was struck momentarily speechless by this impromptu compliment but recovered quickly.

“Was there something you needed Da’an?”

“Yes Captain, there is,” A brief but obvious blush followed this statement flitting across the delicate features of the alien.

Lili waited patiently, but curiously, since the death of William Boone, she had learned that you never rush a Taelon. The wait was rewarded, when at last Da’an opened her eyes and once again looked at Lili.

“I must apologize for the seeming intrigue Capt. Marquette, but I require your presence”

Lili looked at her watch, then shrugged. “Well, I have no other plans for this evening, just give me a second to change”

“Of course captain” Da’an blinked out and the Vid screen went dark.

Lili mumbled to herself as she pulled off the clingy fabric of the formal evening dress. Reaching for the comfortable but revealing slacks and shirt that was the new uniform for the shuttle pilots, Lili thought,

“I would have had plans if that idiot could have just kept his hands to himself until after the gala”

“Men!”

Carefully fishing her keys from the cactus, Lili exited her apartment. Slamming the door with enough force to knock the poor plant off its precarious perch and finally send it crashing to the floor.

 

**

 

Ten minutes later Lili was entering Da’an’s chamber.

When she arrived she found Da'an watching the city below, she waited for a few moments then heard her speak softy. “This is my favorite view, your world can be seen in all its beauty, do you not agree?"

 Curious she came to stand beside the alien, Washington seemed almost alien itself, fast moving vehicles, leaving red trails of light in their wake, the national monuments lit brightly everything looked clean and surreal.

"Da’an?”

“Yes captain?”

“Did you ask me here to look at the city?’

Da’an finally turned to face her, her blue eyes looking into Lili's directly as if to answer that question, then stopping with an almost human look of confusion before again speaking,

“Captain Marquette, I must seek solitude my time here on your planet, the ordeals I have faced, along with the adversity among my own kind has left me fractured in spirit.”

Lili moved closer, realizing that Da’an ‘s voice had a perceptible quality of sadness, “You are leaving Da’an?”

Lili was worried about Da’an but more so the fact that if she left there would be no stopping Zo’or.

“I sense your unease yourself captain, I only need a short time for a ritual we call the Ka'arpaaj to revitalize myself.”

“How long? A few days, two, five, a week?” Lili knew the kind of destruction an unsupervised Zo’or could wreak in a weeks time.

A small smile turned the corners of Da’an’s mouth upward,

"I am leaving Major Kincaid to protect my interest while I am away”

Lili also smiled.

“What I would ask of you Captain Marquette is to accompany me, since I will be out of touch with the Synod and I might need your assistance with a few things”

“Out of touch with…Da’an are you afraid you will revert to the Atavus state?

“No, captain I am not severing my link merely shutting it down to quiet my thoughts. Much like closing a solid door on a noisy party”

Lili was reminded of the fiasco that evening, and turned to look out the window again at the city.

"It’s a date” she answered with a smile.

“Excellent” The obvious pleasure in that statement had Lili wondering what she had just agreed to!

 Querying again Lili spoke “Da’an how long?”

“Two days at the minimum, two weeks at the most, is that arrangement agreeable with you?”

“I will have to pack.” Lili started towards the door.

“No need captain, everything we need will be provided to us”

“Where?” Lili started again.

“Those co-ordinates will also be provided. Are you ready captain?”

 

Knowing that Da’an never willingly would put her in danger, Lili again agreed. “Why not?”

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side she activated a locating signal that Augur had rigged in her global.

 

**

 

Seated at the controls of the shuttlecraft Lili waited for Da’an to speak.

“I will enter the co-ordinates Captain Marquette, please turn the controls to me”

Lili shrugged, and set the control module to respond to Da’an’s commands.

Da’an set the co-ordinates and once again closed her eyes. A faint blush occurred before she returned the controls to Lili.

Lili stared at the screen not recognizing the area on her display. She turned her head to gaze briefly at Da'an, the Taelon certainly did appear more fragile then usual. Her color was a pale bluish-silver far from the Azure she normally projected. Lili shrugged, if Da'an was not worried neither was she, this revelation shocked her, was it just a scant year ago that she was ready, along with the other resistance members to wipe out all the Taelons, including Da'an?

As the shuttle made the jump into inter-dimensional space, Lili's thoughts turned to when that change had occurred.

She realized it was after the crash in the Appalachians when Da'an had saved her life. Afterwards Da’an had called her into her office and they had shared something so incredible she still could not adequately describe it. It was as if they had shared each other's thoughts, memories, emotions, and even their very souls! Lili sighed, the experience far surpassed any she had enjoyed with a human and sex paled in comparison. She had tried to bury it with a series of encounters and nothing had worked.

Paul had been the worst, "What a ride he took me on, using me like that!"

Lili had promised herself that she would never again allow a man to take advantage of or use her.

 A moment later Da’an interrupted her thoughts.

"Your thoughts please captain?" Da'an's soft voice surrounding Lili in the confines of the small ship.

Lili quieted the imperceptible thrill that voice sent through her, schooling her face and mind in her best soldier trained fashion.

            "I was thinking how we have come so far together Da'an, from a position of distrust."

"To a beautiful communication, yes, much of the same occupies my own thoughts."

This said in a low feathery voice, Lili pictured, with longing and tinged in sad shades of swirling violet and gray. Again she marveled at how that short communion with the alien now changed her perceptions, Da'an indeed did think and feel in colors, splendid emotion filled colors. Lili felt more alone then ever, knowing she would never feel that closeness again, unless…

No, Da'an had not shown the same inclination since that one evening, hoping her own thoughts were masked behind her business façade. Lili turned back to the screen as the shuttle blazed out of inter-dimensional and into the atmosphere, landing softly on a small silvery planet. The skies were pink the clouds blue, the water reflected the peaceful rose hues.

"Da'an," she said in a whisper "it’s breathtaking!"

 Lili dropped the virtual glass windshield and took a deep breath as she stood and noted that the air was softly fragrant with blooms of unknown flowers.

"Captain Marquette meet Ka'marh, a tiny, unimportant but beautiful jewel in the Taelon Empire"

 Lili watched smiling, as the pleasure streamed over the Taelon, "Karma, Da'an?"

“Ka’marh” Da’an slowly pronounced it again for her.

“Ka’marh” she tried again and upon seeing the smile on Da’an’s lips knew she had it right.

Gathering three small bags that had been placed in the shuttle, Lili followed Da'an, the Alien touched nearly every flower as if greeting it. A picturesque mossy path led them to a grotto where water cascaded over polished silver rocks, gurgling downward towards a … she was not sure what it was!

             "WOW… Da'an what is this place?

Lili set the bags on the path looking in wonder at what appeared to be a house sized bubble dancing on flower stalks.

"My retreat captain, I have never brought anyone here before, human or Taelon.”

She paused for a moment as if gathering her thoughts and as a smile again touched her lips she continued, “Of all the individuals I know I knew you would appreciate this as I do.”

            As they moved closer, Lili discovered, the flower stalk indeed the entire structure was made of virtual glass. Living, shifting, indeed dancing on the soft currents of the air around them. The pink skies cast a rosy sheen on the entire area; entranced Lili marveled how her own skin glistened with an intense healthy glow. When a hand touched hers, she became aware that Da'an seemed equally absorbed by the same phenomena.

"The Ka'marh likes you captain, she dresses you in her favorite color."

Lili blushed, the additional pink adding to the depth of color.

"You speak as if this planet is sentient Da'an."

"She is indeed sentient, as is your own world."

Da’an seemed to be gaining strength from the air itself, her fragileness dropping away as leaves from a tree. Releasing Lili's hand she moved toward the structure and disappeared inside.

"Da'an wait!"

Her embarrassment forgotten as she pondered those cryptic words, Lili searched for the spot where the alien had vanished. A doorway opened. What Lili saw was the Taelon in her natural state, devoid of the gauzy uniform covering and offering Lili a hand shimmering with a fluid presence. Only hesitating a second Lili placed hers in Da'an's once again, it was solid and yet not. Lili had once taken classes for the marines in a school for the deaf. One of the lessons involved tracing some ones facial features with your eyes closed and remembering them with your mind. This is what Da'an's natural state reminded her of, the feeling of a smile beginning under your fingertips.

They walked through the house that way, fingers laced together gently. The interior was as beautiful as the outside; the walls were rounded as befitted their bubble appearance. The floors were covered with a blue soft moss that your feet sank into. Elegant sprays of exotic flowers seemed to grow from the corners of the room. As they entered a room filled with a myriad of delicate fruits suspended from living ceilings, Da'an picked one handing it to Lili,

"I welcome you here captain, this place is more beautiful with you enhancing it"

Suddenly shy Lili took the fruit, bringing it first to her nose, (it smelled of sunshine) and then nibbling a small piece. There was a burst of effervescent flavor, she thought: "lime and clover honey, an odd but refreshing mix"

Da'an again gently took Lili's hand.

"Let me show you to your room."

They walked together slowly each admiring the wonderful colors and textures, Lili for the first time, Da'an seeing it fresh through Lili's eyes. Da'an then knew that this was right, it was what she had needed, the terrible awful ache of aloneness was dissipating.

A portal opened into a room of startling beauty, pillows piled sumptuously high on a bed that seemed to beckon, gauzy hangings fluttered and moved about by unseen currents air.

The wall of virtual glass offered uncluttered panoramic views of the gardens and brook.

"There is no one on this planet but us captain, yet if you have a wish for more privacy you only need to speak it out loud and Ka'marh will adjust the lighting for you."

"Ka'marh, darken." The walls slowly darkened by degree until the outside

was no longer visible.

"Ka'marh, lighten" Again the outdoors sprang beautifully into view.

Lili spun in a circle like a small child, wonder showing on her face. "It’s not a computer, or a simulation? It is alive, all alive and all so very beautiful"

"Very much so Lili"

Realizing that Da'an had dropped the formal Captain Marquette and hearing her tone change to one of endearing softness, Lili turned to face the Taelon. Da'an was watching her, a strange mixture of want, sadness and caution on her face.

Lili moved to her, placing their hands together, palms touching lightly.

"What is wrong Da'an?"

This time it was the alien, who became inexplicably shy,

"I will leave you for a while, please rest. There are garments in the wall unit and bathing facilities to your left."

The formality returned as Da'an slipped her hand from Lili's and backed out of the room.

Feeling slightly hurt and confused without knowing the real reason why, Lili continued to examine her delightful room. A rhythmic sound reminiscent of wind chimes drew her into the area used for bathing. There was no tub, instead there appeared to be a naturally flowing continuously clean hot spring. The chiming sound coming from the bubbles as they popped and hit against the rocks, Lili tapped a rock with her nail and a delightful musical note sounded. Lili looked around the room then shed her clothing and slipped into the water up to her neck. Her back against the wall and a small natural ledge supported her trim body. The water was a little too hot, recalling Da'an's instructions Lili spoke out,

"Ka'marh, more cool water," the temperature started to drop slowly

"Perfect, thank you Ka'marh."

 For a second Lili felt foolish thanking a house, but then remembered that the Taelon had said the house was indeed alive, sighing Lili closed her eyes.

            From another section of the house Da'an sat in a lotus chair receiving a telepathic message from Ka'marh. It showed her Lili, eyes closed with a small smile of contentment on her face as she rested peacefully on the bed of living material in fact the entire room from the bed to the wall hangings were alive. Created by Da’an’s thoughts and presented by Ka'marh.

Ka'marh had also showed her Lili in the spring, which Da'an received with great joy.

Da'an had missed Lili terribly, and since the joining of their two spirits had felt a piece of her missing each time the young pilot left the room. Da'an also knew that she had to avoid Lili for that exact reason. For if Zo'or had surmised the depth of her feelings for this mere human she would have taken great pleasure in torturing Lili in an effort to cause Da'an pain.

Zo'or too would have also tried to subvert Ka'marh, if she had suspected for a minute that place Da'an loved so much was a living breathing being, and not just a tiny pretty planetoid.

Relaxing completely Da'an let the essence of the planet wash over her, pulsing all of the countless shades of blue in the spectrum, she allowed Ka'marh to administer to her, soothing her fractured spirit and gaining strength and clarity.

Lili smiled in her sleep, her mind replaying the night of her sharing with Da'an, she again felt the surge of energy, the life force, the emotions and memories and the sexual thrill. She had lied to Augur; it had been one of the best orgasms of her entire life. What had made it even more spectacular was she knew that at that exact moment Da'an had shared it with her, enjoying each pulse, each wave, each mind blowing current that passed through her.

Ka'marh also enjoyed Lili's dream, sharing it also with the seated alien, giving unselfishly the pleasure that Da'an craved.

 

**

Lili awoke to the smell of coffee and bacon?

Stretching and swinging her legs off the bed Lili smiled, she was completely refreshed. No achy neck or back, no nightmares, she could hardly remember the last time that she had felt such a complete sense of wellbeing.

Her morning cleansing routine finished, she looked around for her uniform but it was missing, she went to the closet and slipped into a shimmering simply belted caftan that fell to her ankles. The colors were of a rainbow spectrum no one dominated; yet each complimented her eyes, hair or skin tone.

Her stomach reminded her that she had not eaten since the party the night before, and only finger food at that. Lili followed her nose out of the room and through the exquisite corridors, still amazed at the beauty and serenity of the place.

Walking out into an open solarium Lili came upon Da’an sitting serenely in a lotus chair, peace and contentment shining on her face. She watched her for a few minutes, Da’an seemed unaware of her presence until opening her eyes and smiling at her.

“You rested comfortably?”

“Very much so Da’an”

“I am pleased then, do come in and eat. Ka’marh has planned special foods to tantalize your appetite.”

Da’an pointed to a ledge in the solarium on it was a steaming cup of hot liquid and a plate of fruit.

Lili moved to the ledge, next to it was a natural outcrop of rock that formed a perfect sitting place. The area seemed molded to her form supporting her just right as she sniffed,

"Da’an I smell coffee and bacon, how is this possible?”

The azure Alien moved to her side, picking a golden fruit out of the tray and handing it to the young captain.

“Eat”

Lili took a bite. Incredibility showing as the fruit had the texture and flavor of smoked, honey cured bacon.

"But how?”

“Ka’marh hears your thoughts and translates them into what she thinks you want, it is not real meat of course, since everything on this world is plant based.”

“Lili was a little on edge about this information, the planet reads minds?”

Da’an took Lili’s hand in hers, “You are not religious correct? “

"No Da’an you know that.”

“And yet you find nothing wrong with others believing in deities or other religious icons?”

“No Da’an, but what has this to do with Ka’marh?”

“If you were a religious person and were granted each **good** thing you requested would you think it was a god who granted your request?”

“Perhaps, are you saying Ka’marh is a god?”

“No Lili, only that she could be perceived as one, she is a giving and caring being of incredible unselfishness, a mother that provides for her children, who at this moment she considers to be you and I.”

“A mother? You had said earlier that my planet was also sentient, is that how you meant it? Like a mother?”

“Yes, there were and still are humans who can hear her thoughts, I believe they are disparagingly referred to as witches?”

Lili sat down with a thump as she digested this last bit of information, along with the rest of the fruit. Unknowingly she reached for the steaming liquid in the ceramic container, and unconsciously noting it was her favorite Sudanese blend.

“So my planets name is.”

“Gi’yah”

“Gaia” They both spoke it at the same time, Da’an with the whispery breathlessness she always evoked when something pleased her, and Lili in wonder.

“Yes, Ka’marh informed me of this when we first met,” the Taelon eased next to Lili on the ledge, still holding her hand.

“There is a lot you haven’t told us Da’an!”

“And would your people have received it well Lili?”

Lili thought about this for a minute and then laughed. ”You’re right Da’an, they would have thought you stark raving mad!”

 After a few moments of silence Da’an spoke again. “I wish to teach you some of my customs.”

Reaching behind them the Taelon revealed one of the small bags that Lili had carried the day before, unwrapping the cords a miniature version of the Taelon Tubes was revealed.

Da’an ran her fingers over the small instrument, each note perfect in pitch and clarity, and each one perfectly pitched to strum an answering cord in the young pilots nervous system.

Lili closed her eyes in pleasure, she had heard a Tibetan Bell once with pitch as perfect as a tuning fork, only this was much, much nicer.

Da’an played a short tune, noting Lili’s response to it, and smiled. Taking Lili’s fingers, she pressed the object in her hands. “Play for me Lili.”

Lili’s eyes flew open “Me?”

“Yes, think of our brief time together that night, and just move your fingers in compliment with your thoughts.”

Lili blushed a becoming shade of pink, “You remember that Da’an?”

“It is something I will never forget Lili, it is etched into my being for all eternity.” Da’an released Lili’s fingers and moved towards the window to gaze at the outdoor beauty her back to the pilot, “Please, would you play?”

Lili was moved by those words and inwardly thrilled, this emotion was followed by a soft-pitched warble from the small tubes in her hand.

At the window the alien smiled, the notes sounding a responding cord in her consciousness as well.

Lili held the tubes gently and thought about that night, her fingers moved as a lover’s might, softly and wondrously. The sound that followed was sensuous and pleasing. Her embarrassment forgotten Lili watched as her own hands betrayed her, the music that flowed from them spoke of longing and love.

The alien at the window was pleased beyond compare, the pipes usually were a gift of the highest regard from one Taelon to another, that Lili would play them with such emotion was a tribute to her feelings for Da’an.

Faltering Lili looked at the now quieted instrument, “I never could play anything before!”

The Taelon took the pipes from her, re-wrapped them, and put them away. Leaning she placed her lips on Lili’s forehead kissing her softly, “That was wonderful, I have much to do. Will you be content by yourself here alone for a while?”

“Alone?”

“I will not be far Lili, only continuing my Ka’arpaaj, there are a number of discs on Taelon mythology in a library or if you wish take a walk or eat, your time is your own while you are here.” Saying this the alien kissed her again and glided through the doorway.

Lili touched the spot where Da’an had kissed her, she felt giddy as a schoolgirl. If the Taelon had asked she would have gladly stripped naked, and…suddenly she was glad Da’an was gone, excitement and relief warring in her.

From another part of the structure Da’an smiled again. She had no plans to rush the young woman. She knew, even if Lili only suspected, that they were destined for another more complete sharing. The timing would correspond with the rituals that Da’an had planned. Yes when it happened it would be like no other. This would be perfection, the walls around Da’an beamed in agreement, Ka’marh blushing in unison with the Taelon, the same blues and silvers of contentment.

 

**

 

Sitting by the waterfall, earpieces in place Lili listened to the almost hypnotic voice of the Taelon speaker as she recounted Taelon mythology. Bracing her feet against a large boulder she alternately flexed and released her thigh muscles, the isometric exercise working to keep her legs lean and hard. Running her hand from knee to thigh, Lili was content with the result.

“Now if only Da’an would notice...”

Lili opened her eyes and guiltily looked around, hoping she had not said it aloud, which in fact she had.

“Ka’marh don’t you say anything now, do you hear?”

The waterfall changed notes briefly to a happy tinkle, and then resumed its own voice. Lili took that as an agreement between them. No longer at odds with the planetoid's unexpected sentience, Lili now spoke unguardedly when a thought entered her mind sharing it, a far cry from the constant paranoia of the resistance mind set on Earth.

While Ka’marh did not reveal Lili’s words to Da’an, she did forward that she was happy and relaxed, from her Lotus chair Da’an blushed the mingled colors of rose and blue.

 

**

 

Lili stretched and moved from her cozy spot and wondered how long she had been sitting. Curious also, as to what had interrupted her deep almost trance-like state while listening to the Taelon speaker on the sound disc.

“ There!” A high clear note that sparkled around her bell like, eddying and vibrating until it faded but did not die.

Lili walked and stopped listening repeatedly, as the path continued becoming neither more difficult nor less, simply continuing.

Again, the sound seemed to beckon so she hurried forward. She came into a sunny meadow of corn-tall flowers, white except for their centers kissed by a rosy glow. Their soft petals curling feather like from silvery blue stems. Lili looked up and saw a glistening ornate frame in the center of the field of flowers. She brushed her way past each bloom, each a treasure of soft perfume leaving drops of their scent as precious oils on her hands and arms.

As she reached the center, a breeze swayed the garden and as if in time, the bell that was ensconced in the frame peeled that perfect resonating note. Lili felt it in her groin and stomach the sound then moving up her spine until it softly faded from the top of her head. Having once dated a pilot who was a Buddhist, she knew that it was a Chakra bell, but why here?

She remembered Rick's advice to her:

"Life is a celebration! Celebrate it in all its forms. Let the river flow in you, and trust in life. Accept yourself as you are, and the river will reach the ocean of its own accord".

That during the most paranoid of weeks immediately after the Taelons had landed at the time she had simply thought of him as a good looking but flaky new worlder, now she wondered what had happened to him. The bell stood silent as if allowing her thoughts to flow unimpeded.

"OK Ka'marh what is the lesson this time?" Receiving no answer Lili touched the bell, and then looked in wonder. The bell had no clapper.

Thinking it had fallen somehow, she searched the ground and instead found herself looking at the blue feet of her friend and companion/boss Da'an.

Seeing the quizzical look on her face Lili rushed to explain, only to have the Taelon tilt her head and take Lili's hands like you would a precocious but precious child.

"Do not worry Lili all is as it should be" With this she led the young woman through the flowers back to the house. As they reached the edge of the flower path there was one more resonating peal. It flowed over Lili like Rick's visual river, her brows knit in confusion Lili looked back, Da'an simply smiled.

 

**

 

Silent until they reached the center of the house, Lili sought to query Da'an, "The bell?"

"A gift Lili, from a human of great compassion and wisdom."

"I had a friend who was a Buddhist, he had a similar bell in his garden!"

(Lili blushed furiously when she remembered Rick also had a smaller version at his bedside)

Da'an watched the color rise on the pilot's face. Intrigued she placed her fingers on Lili's cheek, feeling the tiniest difference in the temperatures of the pilot's skin, as easily we would read a thermometer.

Unfortunately for Lili this increased her blushing dramatically, coloring her to the roots of her dark hair, every nerve ending aware of Da'an's fingers as they softly traced the path of blood flow.

"Fascinating," with regret Da'an broke the fragile contact, allowing her companion of choice to regroup and gather herself.

Grateful to the Taelon for not pursuing her investigation any further, but keenly aware of the separation, she knew she had responded to the light touch intensely. Lili now tried focusing on other things, "The flowers what are they called?"

Da'an's blue eyes studied Lili for a second before answering,

"Shak'ti, all the blossoms are female."

"So they are sterile then?" Lili felt momentary sadness, thinking of the incredible expanse of flowers she had seen, so beautiful and destined to have only one end.

"Not at all, all life begins with the female of the species, even your own all start as female until the genetic code stumbles and creates the male.

When you see a sterile field or animal they are males, a female can always create new life although it will of course always be female,” Da'an paused a brief moment to see if that was clear to her.

Lili laughed at the reference, imagining Jonathan Doors or Paul's macho ego being crushed hearing themselves referred to as a genetic stumble. It would certainly cause them to hate the Taelons even more if that was possible.

"You know Da'an, if the religionist were to hear you say that you would loose all their support.”

Da'an turned to look at her young friend, "You do not honestly believe that they can rationalize all life beginning with a male?"

Stuck for a moment, and only just now seeing how blatantly ridiculous that thought actually was. "So in the beginning, if there was no female."

Da'an finished her sentence.. "There would be no race, no species, no males to claim divinity."

Lili thought about this for a moment, raising her eyes to Da'an, brown eyes meeting blue, "Then the Taelons are sterile because they are all male?"

Da'an blushed a bright blue, closing her eyes and tilting her head as if trying to capture a stray but pleasant memory. "We Taelon’s are all female Lili, we have lost the ability to procreate naturally because of that fact. We are able to create new life in our laboratories, but they are also female. Which is why Zo'or is indulged, by consensus Zo'or is the last of our race to be propagated."

"By consensus you mean the commonality? I thought you had given up that ability by becoming energy based?" Lili moved around to the front of the Taelon to keep eye contact with her. She did not want to miss one soft word.

As Da'an moved to her Lotus chair, Lili realized that the chair bore more then a striking resemblance to the flowers in the field. Now that she knew they were all female the resemblance to a certain part of the female anatomy sprang into her mind. "Oh My!"

"Is there a problem Lili?"

"Uh, the chair Da'an it is…"

"Shak'ti yes"

Lili sat down on the low wall of the solarium, "The Shak'ti are?"

            "Female"

"Ka'marh?

"Female"

"Taelons?"

"Female"

"Zo'or?"

"Female"

"You, Da'an?"

"Female, does this stress you Lili?"

Da'an, when we shared...we were more then just friends it was," Lili stuttered and became quiet. Her world seemed to tilt at a dangerous level. Lili had flitted from one meaningless encounter to another, always searching but never achieving the blazing fulfillment she had found with Da'an in that one brief moment. A parade of lovers danced in front of her eyes, devoid of all but gratuitous sex...no passion or emotion other than the thrill of conquest. Then the inevitable hurt feelings or worse boredom as the relationship became routine. She looked up, Da'an sat quietly, watching, listening, and waiting for her.

Lili whispered, "Da'an when we shared it was more then just friends it was, it became..."

"A wondrous communication between two lives." Da'an looked pleased and radiated happiness.

"Yes but it was also, sex, we had sex!" Lili brought her hands to her face rubbing her eyes angrily trying to keep herself from crying. Why was she angry? Why did she want to cry at the same time? Why was she so confused, she had wanted ever since that night for Da'an

to repeat the attention, had plotted and planned for every chance meeting, made herself indispensable to the Taelon, only to fall apart when she found out Da'an was female?

Female was that it, was she questioning her own sexual nature? Was Captain Lili Marquette, Marine, soldier, pilot, terror of the Flat Planet Café, a… a… she could not bring herself to think it.

Lili was aware of a change in the space around her, hands touched her lightly on her shoulders. As much as she wanted to run from them she was thrilled that they were there, the tears flowed now, she sobbed quietly.

"Lili why are you unhappy? Does the memory of our sharing cause you such great pain?" The alien's voice was gentle and soft, tinged with sadness. How could she have been so mistaken? How had she misread Lili's affection for her?

"No, Yes, No…" Lili stuttered, as a finger raised her chin once again she gazed into the bluest eyes in the universe. Eyes that rivaled the mesmerizing blue as you looked on earth from space. Lili realized at that moment she was in love, in love with an alien creature, she was sworn to destroy. In love with a woman, no Da'an was not a woman, but she was female. Lili groaned, as much in confusion as in desperate need for Da'an to console her and love her in return. Lili broke away, running out of the solarium and into the wooded grotto. She did not want to leave, but she could not stay. She had to think!

Da'an watched her leave, Lili's tears still on her fingertips, each one a wonder of reflected light, liquid diamonds from her lovers eyes. She moved slowly to her lotus chair, her heart breaking, she was sure now the young pilot returned her feelings, why was she hurting so much, what was wrong?

Ka'marh followed Lili's progress, moving branches and stray rocks out of her way. When the young woman came to the waterfall and stopped, sinking to her knees onto the soft carpet of moss, the sound of the spring and indeed the whole planet was hushed and muted. For the longest time Lili simply sat, she shredded flowers off the stems within her reach, (much like the old Earth children's game of she loves me..) Ka'marh kept more flowers appearing, if this is what it took to make her happy again.

Lili alternately laughed and cried, she railed against the unfairness of the universe, and laughed some more, "This is what I wanted," she said out loud, "I wanted Da'an to...to…"

"I wanted Da'an to share with me again, I wanted her to be close to me, I didn't want her to be a her...It isn't fair!"

Ka'marh did not report Lili's words, instead she told Da'an that Lili was working out her confusion and she was no longer crying or angry. Sitting in her Lotus chair the Taelon was a pale shade of silver, her deep emotional state reflected in the scores of streaks that ran across her frame, rivulets of sorrow etched into her façade.

Lili thought and went over it again and again, she was in love, deeply, desperately, she had never felt so complete as when she had shared with the Taelon nor so empty when she was away from her. So, the universe had sent her a lover at last, some one who completed her. Well she was not going to let it go...she did not give a damn about Doors or the resistance or Liam, or anyone else on Earth. She had found her partner, her Companion. She smiled at that. The Marine came through, objective sought and located...time for action.

Although Ka'marh had informed Da'an that Lili was on her way back, the alien did not move, her eyes closed. She waited for her friend to return, this would be the moment, one person would pass through the door. Her enemy or her lover Da'an would not know until Lili spoke.

"Da'an?"

The Taelon inclined her head but did not open her eyes.

"Da'an, I ran because I was confused."

"You… are no longer confused' Lili?" Da'an’s color deepened as one graceful hand lifted slightly away from the arm of the chair to flutter softly down again.

Lili moved closer, taking that hand and holding it shyly, Da'an’s fingers moved to grasp hers gently, not too tightly, carefully as one might hold an injured bird. "On my world Da'an there are males and females."

"I did observe this to be so." Da'an said wryly.

Lili smothered a giggle, "We are constantly racing to prove ourselves, outdo the competition whether it is in fortune or in romance." The young woman felt a blush starting. Da'an's hands moved slightly, holding more securely feeling the heat. "There is always competition to see who will get the most, and it is always male and female, well almost always."

The Taelon opened her eyes gazing tenderly at the young woman standing before her, "Almost?"

Lili continued. "As advanced as we would like to believe, any other combination is not accepted and generally belittled."

Da'an paused, her own world now swaying dangerously, how the Synod and especially Zo'or would have loved to see the formerly great Da'an crushed and torn like an infant. "I see."

"Do you Da'an? Because until a few minutes ago, I did not, please look at me?”

Two pairs of eyes dueled, each searching for the truth or the end, or both.

"I don't know what to do I feel as though it should not be, could not be. I am betraying my race, my moral upbringing, and my gender. But Da'an, I don't care…not about all that they are only words...and in here. (Lili brought their clasped hands to her heart) I know I love you, and want to be with you. At that Da'an moved gracefully from the chair, taking Lili’s free hand she placed it also on her chest, her energy center, her emotional fire. "Yes Lili we will make it possible?

Da’an knew that at this moment they were sharing something precious and exquisite and it must be preserved, holding Lili’s hands, she led her to the Lotus chair, “Please sit.”

“In your chair Da’an?” Lili knew only one other human had been allowed to occupy a Shak’ti, Sandoval, and now knowing that the Shak’ti were based on female ‘attributes’. Lili wondered how he had felt when doing so.

The Taelon leaned forward placing a wondrously soft kiss on her brow, “It would honor me to have you do so.”

The smaller woman awkwardly started climbing into the chair, obviously meant for the much taller Taelon. Da’an’s soft hand halted her,

"Please one moment.”

Placing her delicate hand on the arm of the chair, Da’an spoke.

"Ka’marh? Ka’ya Sa’d ha’na Li’li!”

The chair sparkled and fluidly changed shape, becoming much smaller.

“Lili watched in amazement, “That sounded familiar and what did you say?"

“I said you have smaller body parts and please change to accommodate you.”

Lili blushed wildly pink; hearing herself referred to in that way.

Da’an as always was fascinated by this color change and touched her softly on her cheek.

“We must investigate this phenomena later.”

“Lili licked her lips, her cheek tingled where the Taelon’s fingers had touched, “Um…Da’an, the words you said could have been an Earth dialect!”

“You are correct as usual Lili, Ma’el had influences on many Earth cultures while she worked there, The inflection would be more closely Hindu I believe.” Da’an gestured towards the chair, and Lili sat. 

 “Please Lili, remember when you made the decision concerning…Us!”

“What is this about Da’an?”

“The Shak’ti will record your feelings, and I will forever have you with me, in my mind and heart.”

            At Da’an’s words, Lili listened and smiled no one had ever thought her emotions to be of much import. In fact, she had been taught to suppress them, first by her family, by the military and most recently by her position with the resistance. She thought of her flight to the waterfall, the endless availability of daisy like flowers for shredding, (she sent a brief thank you to Ka’marh). Moreover, the discovery that like a shooting star, Da’an had blazed into her life and brought her something wonderful. This was swiftly followed by the memory of their sharing. Lili looked quickly at Da’an, the Talon moved behind her, circling her small waist with her arms and hands, her fingertips resting lightly on each hip.

Da’an whispered in her ear, “I am here with you, let the river of memory flow around you.”

There was no stopping the course of that river; it proceeded as it always did when the memory surfaced. Lili road the current this time aware of it’s destination, rushing Lili towards pleasure. Spiraling and circling, lapping at her internal parts, this time happily being held in her lovers arms.

 

**

 

Lili was aware of Da'an as if in a dream, her reactions were fuzzy and soft, "Where are we?" she asked. Soft trails followed her words like colored echoes in the air.

They sat together cross-legged, not in the lotus chair, but on the floor of a bubble, Da'an still holding her from behind. We are in Ka'marh, she shares in our joy." Da'an raised Lili's arms over her head, running her own fingertips sensuously from wrist to shoulder, from shoulder to gently skirt over her small round breast to her waist.

"There is so much I want to show you, to give you."

Lili clasped her hands behind Da'an's neck, giving her access, not stopping her or hindering her in any way. The Taelon whispered in her ear, "So little time to show you how beautiful my love is for you.”

Lili was satiated, resplendent again in the aftermath of the shared orgasmic experience. "But this is so beautiful, how could it be any better?”

"There is so much to learn, so much to be discovered, I want to give you the universe in feeling, the cosmos in color and sound. To feel what you feel. Taste how you taste. To be in, on and around you until I know every pore every cell that makes Lili, Lili."

Lili leaned happily into Da'an's embrace and sighed, this was what she had waited her whole life for, this is what the others never would have or understand. She nodded happily, sleepily, never knowing when Da'an lay her gently on the floor of the bubble, her head lying on Da'an's thigh as the Taelon stroked her face and hair.

Ka'marh arranged the bubble to allow Da'an room to stroke her beloved. The sides touching each lover as the emotion filled and flowed, a continuous river of emotion, nourishing not only Da'an but feeding Ka'marh as well.

 

**

 

Lili awoke in her own room, she was happy, she felt like a schoolgirl. She was surprised to find herself naked, but bounced out of her bed to the hot spring and flung herself in, water splashed high. The music of the bubbles pinged and laughed along with her.

"Lili." the soft voice caressed her.

Lili whirled sending another stream of water flying, for a brief second she considered covering herself with her hands, then dropped them to her sides.

"Da'an."

The Taelon gazed at her, water sluiced down the young woman's figure, into crevices and across beautiful planes. Framed by the spring, Lili was a perfect jewel, a lustrous pearl. Why did she not realize her worth? Da'an made a promise to herself that before they left Ka'marh Lili would know.

"May I join you?"

Lili looked surprised, "In the water Da'an?"

Da'an smiled, "I am not only da'kini Lili, I am very real while in the physical form.

Lili watched the azure Taelon's progression to the entrance of the spring, every movement fluid and graceful, she felt suddenly coltish.

Why did she want her? She was uninteresting, awkward, and clumsy at best.

Da'an made her feel special, how long would that last? Looking down as the old insecurities flared, her eyebrows knit together in a frown.

As she stepped into the pool the water changed consistency around her, becoming smooth, languid. Da'an saw the shadow pass across Lili's fine chiseled features, and reached for her.

"Li'li?" The young pilot looked up at the Taelon contraction of her name.

"When you allowed yourself to be embraced by the Shak'ti what we shared was recorded and will be forever accessible to my mind and spirit."

Lili imagined her experience being viewed by leering pilots or other skill from the Flat Planet or Resistance. "Um…Da'an? Who else gets to see this?"

            "Unless they join with us Li'li no one!" Da'an, held the young woman close then reaching for a soft bar of spongy material dipped it into the water. She placed the sponge at the base of Lili's throat, and squeezed--sending a cascade of warm silky water down her neck and across her breast. A rainbow sheen appeared in its wake, trails of color ending in the v of her groin. The path of the water was cool on her heated skin, Lili groaned.

"The water has changed Da'an." Lili looked into her lover's eyes, seeing the same rainbow reflected in them. She was lost for a minute in sheer awe.

Da'an's small smile reminded her of a painting in Augur's hideout, she tried to remember the name as Da'an repeated the motion with the sponge, this time on her left shoulder.

In order to understand da'ki’ni Li'li you must experience it, I am creating it for you."

Da'an dipped the sponge. Again, the water flowed sensuously from Lili's right shoulder, down her arms to drip slowly from her fingers. Lili watched with rapt attention, "Da'ki’ni, what is it?"

Da'an moved behind her, pressing the sponge to her shoulders, watching the liquid shimmer and shine, running from shoulder blade along Lili's spine and flow slowly down to the enticing crack between her butt cheeks.

Dropping the sponge, she slid her arms under Lili's, crossing her waist and laying her hands flat against Lili's slightly rounded tummy.

"Do you see me Li'li?"

"Of course Da'an."

"This state, that you humans call energy, we Taelons call da'ki’ni, life force."

Da'an slid her hands against the skin of her lover, feeling it's smoothness and contours. The water had completely changed, from a hot spring to a pool of delicious fragrant oil, each place it touched mirrored the rainbow hues of the room, of Ka'marh and especially of the pulsing blue shimmer of the alien.

Lili felt Da'an's hands glide over her skin, her own body now a portrait of rippling blues and violets her own healthy rosy glow adding to the effect.

"Recline with me." Da'an whispered in her ear. Da’an stroked the soft undersides of Lili’s breast, and wondered. ‘Was anything in this universe as soft?’

 Lili felt so relaxed and wonderful she simply melted like spun sugar into the alien's embrace.

They floated in the pool, the oil swirled and eddied around them, clung to them in a kaleidoscope of color. As Lili leaned against Da'an she looked at her own hands they where, 'da'ki’ni'.

"How?" She questioned.

"When we shared, a part of you became me, a part of me became you, with encouragement your spirit remembers and recreates the moment, physically and mentally." Da'an moved closer, embracing her, slicking her hands from Lili's waist to her thighs stopping there. Lili sighed.

"Please don't stop Da'an, I couldn't bear it if you did."

Da'an moved to the front, propping Lili gently against the smooth rounded wall, now warm and inviting from the fluids of the pool, placing under her neck a piece of the spongy material that smelled of cedar and rosemary.

"I will show you how to use your da'ki’ni Li'li, we can share in its uniqueness, its flavor."

In her dreamy state all Lili heard was share, and smiled at Da'an, while trailing her fingers along the Taelons arms and neck. Da'an ever gently pressed on the insides of Lili's thighs opening them. She looked for a minute at the part of Lili that was the center of all her physical pleasure and emotional pain, pink and ruffled like the petals of a flower. The oil of the da'ki’ni pool glistened and beaded there like small diamonds. Placing one hand over the living lotus, Da'an spread the petals aside, Lili arched and moaned. "Do not rush toward me Li'li let the living water carry you like a leaf in a brook." Her eyes closed, Lili relaxed, sighing softly. The Taelon opened the flower fully; the warm silky liquid flowed inside, spread and merged with the essence that was Lili.

Lili felt the warmth spread through her, it licked at her, inside her most private of areas. She felt it move upward, a slow steady spiral, a dance of energy it continued until she felt it in her head. Then she knew she would orgasm, not a straining painful burst of energy, but a sweet release.

Da'an saw Lili pulse with da'ki’ni pleasure, she slid smoothly on top of her, lip to lip, palm to palm. Their legs twined and they danced the joy of a star newly formed, for at this point reflected in the pool of Ka'marh were two alien creatures of immeasurable beauty, giving to the other true ecstasy.

 

 

Lili was aware, yes truly aware. She felt the world hum and pulse around her. Looking at Da’an standing beside her she could SEE her lovers spiritual field, her living aura. They had moved from the pool, were walking outside. Time slipped by with no measure, Da’an showed Lili the world as perceived through Taelon eyes. Each life form danced and sang with its own voice, Lili watch fascinated as a small ant like creature moved leaving shining drops of a fluid behind it as a trail. A many hued winged wonder fluttered softly in front of her. Its wings singing a song as wonderful as any canary’s. She stopped as she glanced at her own reflection in the waters of Ka’marh. Lili was da’kini, the life force covering her like a coating of fine chocolate would a strawberry.

“How long will this last Da’an?”

“For a little while longer, Li’li. The outward manifestation will dissipate; the inner will always be there. If you want it to be.”

“I will be able to see things as I do now?” Lili held a shining ultra-white flower in her hand, feeling its coolness in her palm and pass slowly through her nervous system. She displayed the particular head tilt Da’an had performed on many occasions and understood.

“If you wish it, many species are unable to handle the sensory overload and dampen the aura or simply dispose of it all together, denying its existence.”

“Is that what humans have done? What a waste!” Lili took Da’an’s hand and leaned against her.

“Humans tend to deitize or demonize what they do not understand or fear. Ma’el understood this, it is why he warned us to stay away.”

“I could see how this might lead to trouble, if you would know instantly by another persons aura if they were sincere or not.” Lili laughed thinking of her government and the people she dealt with on a daily basis.

“Zo’or?”

Da’an laughed, a high clear sound that delighted Lili.

"Yes you would also discern Zo’or as well.”

“Come Li’li there is more I wish to show you,” taking Lili’s hand she moved once again towards the house.

 

**

 

Laughter to the void

“She looks like a little kid in a toy box,” Lili thought as Da’an reached into the small sack that she kept by her lotus chair, “First a tube now what?”

The effects of the da’kini wearing off. Lili sat cross legged on the floor at Da’an’s feet content to see what would happen next.

Da’an reached in and extricated a small hairy round object with “feet?”

“That isn’t a Tribble is it Da’an?” Lili was ready at this point to believe anything.

Da’an held the small thing out to Lili, “Tribble? It is a Kit’tleh, what is a Tribble?”

Lili laughed aloud and shook her head, opening her hand. “Nothing Da’an a fairytale.”

Where do Kit’tlehs come from, Taelon?” Lili reached for the fuzzball and it rolled into her hand…and opened six pink jewel like eyes and peered at her.

“Goodness, hello.” Lili looked back wondering what it would do next.

“Kit’lehs come from the void Li’li.” Da’an watched her young lover as she warily watched the alien creature in her hand.

“The Void? What do they do there? I thought the void was nothingness?”

“The Void…IS…as much as WE are at this moment…there must always be a counter balance or it all ceases to exist!”

Lili looked up at Da’an confusion on her face, then with help from the remaining da’kini a measure of the logic reached her. “Ok, so the void is, what do these things do in there?”

Da’an beamed her approval as she saw the young woman reach inside and use the da’kini to help herself understand. “They bring laughter to the void.”

Lili’s jaw would have hit the floor if she had not closed it with such a forceful snap. The small being in her palm twitched, its silky short fuzz sent a tickle causing her to grin unknowingly.

"How does this creature bring laughter to the void Da’an? Are you telling me now the void itself is alive?”

“How could it laugh if it was not?” The alien slipped out of her chair coming to stand beside Li’li. “Close your eyes Li’li and learn.”

Taking the small creature from her, she placed it on Lili’s shoulder...it snuggled close to her ear...two delicate spindly paws reached for her lobe.

Lili who was extremely ticklish started twitching herself. “Hey that tickles!”

Da’an knelt beside her and spoke into her other ear. “The void is the resting place for all that has gone before. When we are released to the void, it is usually in a moment of fear or sorrow that we bring with us. When we have sorted out our experiences, we move on to a higher plane. But all that was unpleasant is left behind, the guilt, the unhappiness, the sorrows.”

Lili was trying not to squeak like a small girl. The Kit’tleh was holding on to her ear and attempting to peer in as if great wisdom was stored in the dark place, its silky fur and long eyelashes creating a itchy place she wanted desperately to scratch. Then Lili was in the dark place. The sadness and hurt of a million lives, a million universes stretched like a vast river of pain, endless, and forever. Voices called out, pleading for understanding, forgiveness.

Da’an watched as the young woman’s face went slack then dark a tear then two slipped under her lashes. The Kit’tleh also noticed, shimmered, pink eyes closed one by one and was gone.

There was a presence, a small happy sound, it murmured and chittered, then it giggled. The voices all ceased in amazement. The void itself grinned, you could feel the difference, then it became lighter, laughing, and the black turned to a bright white, with jewel like pink edges. The voices all laughed and sang and all moved towards the light, happy--happy.

“Happy!” Lili’s eyes flew open, she looked wildly around, “The Kit’tleh?”

“Gone, they lead the others from the darkness.” Da’an brushed a stray hair from Lili’s face. “We do not have much time left Li’li.”

“Time?” Lili was bewildered, we have only been here a few days Da’an!

Da’an smiled and held the young woman close, “We have shared almost ten days Li’li! The others will be looking for us now, Zo’or and Liam.”

Lili was astounded at how the passage of time had become irrelevant, she did not want to leave, but knew they must. Sighing she snuggled into the Taelons embrace. “I love you Da’an, no matter what happens, I love you!”

Having seen Lili’s memories Da’an knew why Lili said it, but chose not to disclose that fact. “As I love you Li’li, I will never willingly allow any harm to come to you.”

 

**

 

In the shuttle, again Lili watched, as Ka’marh became smaller as they flew away. In a twinkling the planetoid lost its healthy rosy appearance and became bleak and inhospitable looking. She had turned to ask Da’an, when a small sweet voice touched her mind. “Happy, hiding, come back to us Lili.”

Lili smiled, and turned back to her controls. Da’an who was watching her also smiled. Ka’marh had again turned herself from the fairytale world into a crone no one would stop to investigate.

 

**

 

Back in the hangar of the mothership, Lili and Da’an prepared to leave the shuttle. Da’an held up two fingers to stop Lili from leaving, pressing a small bag into her hands she kissed her lightly on the forehead.

“I will send for you again Li’li, now that I know you complete me, I will not be without you.” With that, and the arrival of a volunteer implant Da’an moved away and left the hangar.

Although they were parting, Lili was not sad, she knew she now had a part of Da’an that could never be removed, curiously she peeked into the bag and a glad thrill raced through her. At that precise moment, her global chirped and Augur’s worried face appeared.

“Where have you been? We were all worried sick. Augur looked worriedly around, the global background showing him to be calling from Door’s latest hideaway. He whispered, “My tracking device would not show us where you were!”

Lili never hesitated, “On walk-about with Da’an”

“Where Lili, could it be of use to us?” Augur shifted the global to show Lili that Jonathan was indeed listening to the conversation.

“No Augur, it was a….” Lili thought of Ka’marh as they left orbit, “It was a nothing, a little rock of no importance. I will fill you in later, Marquette out.”

Lili snapped the global shut, and again peeked into the bag that held Da’an’s parting gift to her, inside was the lovely Taelon musical instrument.

Looking around to make sure no one was watching, she pulled the straps closed and holding it close to her heart, blushed, a healthy pink and Taelon blue.

 

**

 

Fin