Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Title: Illusions II
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com

Illusions II


        Sandoval opened his eyes in D.C. He turned to Lili but she wasn't there. He went over to the attendant and asked him where she was. The attendant responded that she was never scheduled to that jump, and neither was Sandoval. His head was spinning. He yelled at the young man to find her. It was an impossible feat but he demanded she be found.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili's nose itched and for the first time realized she couldn't scratch it. Her arms were down at her side and she was wrapped in a thin gauzy web. She pulled herself out and looked around. She knew where she was. Sahjit had been here too. This was the Moonbase.


*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "She is but a mere shuttle pilot, she is of no consequence."
        "But Zo'or, she is one of the most trusted non-Implants on Earth. She knows the most detailed of our security measures and the entire make-up of the shuttles, and partial-knowledge of the Mothership. I know she would rather die than talk if captured by the Resistance but we cannot take that chance."
        "Zo'or, Agent Sandoval is correct. You were not yet with us when she began her employment here. Capt. Marquette knows much more than you give her credit. In fact, she has proven herself most loyal and innovative in her tactics while serving the Taelons." Da'an spoke to reason with the tyrannical leader.
        "Very well. Conduct your search."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili wandered about trying to get her bearings, she had been here before but never in this section. To her knowledge the experiments through the portals were cancelled, there was no reason she should have been brought here. Her mind raced with all the characteristics the Taelons had looked for in their experiments: disabilities, pregnancy, very high intellect, and abnormalities of heart and brain rhythms. She didn't have any of that... she hoped.
        She also hoped she would set off an alarm, then again no one would recognize her in her platinum hair and awful Texas trash outfit. 'God I hope someone realizes I'm missing.' Then it hit her. Sandoval would know she was missing, why hadn't they looked here for her? He was smart, he knew how to make two and two. What was the deal?   

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "Da'an, I need your permission to search the Moonbase. I believe that Capt. Marquette may have been transported there."
        "Agent Sandoval, that project was shut down permanently. There would be no one to transport the Captain to the Moonbase. Why do you believe this is so?"
        "There may have been a system left operating. Capt. Marquette disappeared while we were in transit. She was standing next to me when we started the jump, but was nowhere in sight when I arrived at the other end. If she had been transported to another portal then she would have contacted someone. Also, she and I were both equipped with a small transmitting device and if she were on Earth, I could get a signal from this device... I have not gotten anything."
        "Permission to search the Moonbase is granted. Agent Sandoval, why do you search for Capt. Marquette so adamantly? You can be equipped with another pilot shortly, also another assistant and yet you are determined to retrieve her, whether alive or dead."
        "Capt. Marquette would not allow herself to die, no matter the circumstance. In any event, she does not fear her own death. I need an assistant with her capabilities, any other would be mediocre in the same position." Da'an nodded the Agent's leave. This situation intrigued the Taelon. He had not seen such life in the Implant since he was implanted four years ago. It was refreshing, but also curious. What had brought on such renewal?

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Liam walked around on the bottom level of the Moonbase, Sandoval had given him attitude about being on the Moon so he figured he would stay out of Sandoval's way. Liam could not think of any reason that she had disappeared. Then again he didn't know the reasons for many things. Why was he here? Why was Sandoval one of his fathers? Why did he feel this way about Lili? Why didn't she return it? Why was she with his father?
        It was enough to make his head spin. He found a control panel and looked it over. It regulated the shields in the labs. He pushed a button curiously but nothing happened that he could see. Then a voice spoke in Taelon. 'Contamination shields are activated.'

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili walked around for what seemed like hours. Her head ached and she was beginning to tire. All the doors she came across either opened into more labs, or were locked with codes so old she had long forgotten them. It was frustrating to not be able to get out and Taelon labs were airtight. Yes they were airtight. Lili leaned on the wall and moved a little more slowly to the next door, just as she touched it... she blacked out. Air tight.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Sandoval's heart leapt as he saw the signal on his global. She wasn't too far away. Why didn't she call out? He rushed to the entrance to the old laboratories and punched in the code. The door opened with a great whooshing sound. There on the ground was Lili, she didn't respond to the noise the door had made. Sandoval knelt beside her and turned her over so he could check her pulse. It was faint, he listened to her breathing, non-existent. He took a deep breath and started CPR. Breathe, check, breathe, check, breathe, pump 1, 2, 3, breathe, check. Lili gasped for air. Lili grabbed onto his jacket and buried her face in his chest, she breathed him in deep. Finally her breathing regulated, she didn't let go and neither did he. She looked up at his face and into his deep brown eyes.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Liam hit another button. 'Laboratory lock down in effect.' His eyes opened wide. "Oh no."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        The door closed before Sandoval could even get to his feet. He helped Lili up and then he began punching code after code into the panel. Nothing worked. He pulled out his global but couldn't get any signal from outside.
        "What the hell is going on?" Sandoval slammed the global against the wall. Lili was coming into herself again. She stood on her own.
        "What happened?"
        "Someone activated a lock down, none of the security codes are working. I can't get a signal outside this  laboratory. We're stuck until someone deactivates it."
        "Well can't you skrill us out of here?"
        "The only wall that would work on... would be the outside walls, then we would be sucked out into space and you know what happens then." Sandoval sank down to the floor and Lili sat next to him.
        "So now the both of us are lost. What took so long anyway? I must've been here for hours before I passed out."
        "I needed permission to search the base."
        "How did you know I was here?"
        "That ring I gave you to wear. The signal wasn't coming from Earth and this was the only other place, in light of the portal."
        "I knew you'd figure it out eventually." Lili patted his arm. "How long do you think it'll take for them to figure it out?"
They both turned and looked at each other.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "Major. Where is Agent Sandoval?" Zo'or was angry. The Implant hadn't responded to his calls in a couple of hours.
        "I have not been able to find him since the lockdown was activated. No signals are coming through from any laboratory."
        "What lockdown?" The Taelon's nostrils flared.
        "Um... one of the Volunteers accidentally locked down the entire area. I'm working on finding the right code. You wouldn't mind providing that would you Zo'or?"
Zo'or glared at him and then finally answered, he took the global from Liam. "This is the code. Each laboratory must be opened individually, but that code is of the highest level of security. Absolutely no one but you must see it."
        "Thank you Zo'or." He nodded to the Taelon and began unlocking the first set of doors. He had been able to deactivate the contamination shields but nothing else would respond. Hopefully this worked. There were nearly a hundred separate areas to go through.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili was pacing in the small space in front of the door, she stared at it. She hoped the door would open any minute. Sandoval sat against it, watching her pace, and playing with his global, trying to get it to work. He was amazed that she had any energy, she had just passed out from the lack of oxygen in the corridor. Now, she was almost bouncing off the walls.
        "From what I can tell, the lock down did not include the contamination shields, we shouldn't have a problem with air. Even so, I don't think it's wise to move around too much."
        "You're right, you're right." She sighed and sat against the adjacent wall. The wall seemed to pulsate behind her back, it helped her to relax a little. Lili couldn't be still for long, she needed to be doing something. Something besides watch Sandoval attempt to fix the global, like that would do them any good. She couldn't sit comfortably in her dress. She kicked off the heels and pulled off the tiny jacket. Then she put the jacket back on when she realized it was cold, cursing her little dress under her breath. Sandoval watched her out of the corner of his eye. He pulled off his jacket and handed to her.
        "Thank you." She eagerly shrugged into the large jacket and pulled her legs up to warm herself up.
        "Don't mention it." Lili had just noticed that Sandoval had already shaved and changed into his own  clothes. The mock cast was off his arm, his skrill arm bared, that sleeve rolled up, even under the jacket.          Lili pulled the jacket tighter around her and inhaled the light scent that he seemed to emit. It was light but intoxicating. She closed her eyes.
        "You should rest while you can, Capt. Zo'or will expect us both working as soon as we are found."
        "I would kill for that hotel bed right now, believe me." Too late she realized the implication of that statement and blushed. Sandoval also turned red, and turned his head slightly to look at her.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Liam opened the 10th door he came upon. Nothing, absolutely nothing. 'Just another 60 or so to go.' He tapped his global against his palm and walked down the hallway.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        The temperature in the section of labs seemed to be getting colder. Lili shivered and hugged her knees. She looked over at Sandoval, he looked perfectly comfortable. She started humming. Sandoval looked up at the sound.
        "Lambada?"
        "What?" Lili looked at him confused.
        "That song you're humming... it's lambada isn't it?"
        "I don't know. I heard it before we got to the portal station in Vegas."
        "Yes it is. I remember I used to love that song."
        "Really? I just thought it was a dance."
        "Oh it is. Do you lambada?"
        "No."
        "Would you like to learn?" She just sat and struggled for the right words. "It looks like we are going to be stuck here for a while, we may as well find something to pass the time."
        "Okay." He stood and walked over to where she sat. He held out his hand to her.
        "Look at it this way, I'm an awful singer. The worst that could happen is someone would find us just to shut me up." She laughed and stood up to join him. He started singing, complete with perfect accent and pitch. He pulled her to him and started dancing. Immediately, Lili pulled away.
        "What's wrong?"
        "What are you doing?" He stood there for a moment, then nodded.
        "You don't know the history of Lambada do you? It is also called the Forbidden Dance. It was actually outlawed in Brazil for a time for being... too sexy. Trust me, it's a lot of fun and you can teach it to your boyfriend or something." She laughed to herself, then stepped back to him.
        "You know very well I don't have time for a boyfriend. In fact this will probably be the only non-work related thing I do in weeks."
        "Ha. Okay, I'll start slower this time."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Liam finished the section he was working on. He was about to move on when a Volunteer called him over to a door he missed. He pulled out his global and began punching in the code that Zo'or had given him. He stopped when he heard noises coming from inside that section of the lab. He opened up the communications. He was surprised to hear singing coming from inside the lab. He recognized the voice instantly. He pressed the com button. "That's beautiful Agent Sandoval. Are you busy or do you want out?"
        "Liam?" Lili's voice came through.
        "It's me."
        "Then let us out."
        "Hey these things take time. At least I found the both of you at the same time. I've had to manually open every door on this level. Some moron activated a lock down." Whoosh! "Hi there. Miss me?"
        "Hardly, Maj." Sandoval stepped out of the lab, followed by Lili still wearing his jacket. "Please take Capt. Marquette home. She's had a trying day."
Lili and Liam watched him walk away to the portal. She turned to look at him. "So you're the moron that activated the lock down?"
        "Is it written on my forehead or something?"
        "If someone else had done it, you would have given me a name."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        The ride back to Earth was silent. Liam was trying to find a way to voice what he was thinking. Lili was just sitting back there wrapped in Sandoval's jacket. She hadn't said a word since they entered ID space. "Lili. Are you alright?"
        "What? I'm fine. I just need a shower."
        "So, when did you want to talk?"
        "Oh. I need to rest a little. I'll be at the Flat Planet tonight though. I have the sudden need to have people around me."
        "Okay, then I'll see you there once Sandoval lets me go." Liam punched them out of ID and landed outside her apartment building.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili waited by the bar. Augur had come by and asked her to smile, said she was scaring of the customers. She just gave him a killer stare and he backed off. After about an hour, Liam strolled in the door. He stopped to flirt with Suzanne before she had to leave with her order. He stayed at the bar to flirt with Angie before noticing Lili was at the other end.
        "You don't look too happy, but you look better as a brunette." He said to her quietly.
        "I've just got a lot on my mind. Let's go somewhere a little more private to talk. Believe me, it's good to look like myself again."
        "We could go upstairs."
        "No. Let's just find an empty hole over there."
        "Okay. Lead the way."

Lili sat in one of the plush recarniers in the small room. Liam sat next to her.
        "Liam, I don't want you to take this the wrong way. I really value your friendship. I do."
        "What is this about? I mean, you slept with my father." Lili closed her eyes.
        "What happened with me and Sandoval was part of the assignment. I told you that in Vegas. Liam I care for you I do. I just don't think things could work for us the way you think they should."
        "Why not? I feel very strongly for you, I can't describe the way you make me feel in here." Liam raised his hand to his chest and then to his head. "and in here."
Lili couldn't listen to this. She felt awful. Here her best friend was professing love to her, she was scared to know whether or not she could ever return it. "Liam, I don't believe you know what you are saying."
        "Why do you insist that I do not understand love? I have feelings that I don't understand, but this... I know that I feel so strongly for you. My heart tells me that you have got to love me back."
        "What if I don't? What then?"
        "I don't want to think about that. I know that you feel something for me."
        "If you believe that... why did you get upset when you found out I slept with Sandoval?"
        "Because... He's my father! I could understand maybe one night... but five... Lili, you have got to know how awkward that makes me feel."
        "You, how about me?! He's my boss. If we hadn't the whole jig would have been up. He got a contact and I have to figure out who it is." Suddenly as she said it, she didn't care. She wouldn't have traded last week for anything in the world. That afternoon in the lab had been fun... but they had not cleared anything up at all. It would probably never happen again, but umm, that was great.
        "Lili..." Liam knelt in front of her, he took her hand and put his head on her knee. "(sigh) I don't know what I have to do to prove what I'm feeling."
        "Liam don't, please. You are one of my best friends, sex always screws up friendship." She stroked his hair and looked up at the ceiling. The colors bounced off the walls and ceiling, it had a calming effect on Lili and she let herself relax and closed her eyes. She was vaguely aware that a surge of energy shot up her arm.

        Augur looked around. He didn't see Lili anymore. He was done seeing that everything was running the way he liked it. Now he had time to talk to her. Figures she'd disappear right when he needed to find her.
        "Suzanne. Have you seen Lili? I want to know when she left."
        "She didn't leave. She went in the back with Liam awhile ago. You know how they are... like brother and sister." Suzanne picked up her now loaded tray. "If you see Liam, tell him I have something for him."
Augur shook his head. 'If only she knew.' He made his way to the back of the club.

        Liam planted a kiss on her palm. Then she felt his lips on her neck and melted. She couldn't figure out what about Liam was so intoxicating. She couldn't control her reactions to him... but then she knew she didn't want him to stop... she didn't want to stop.
        His touch was all she wanted right now. Something inside her took control and she returned the gentle touches and kisses. Lili wrapped her arms around Liam and pulled him onto the odd shaped recarnier. Liam arranged himself to be closer to her. He straddled the thin board-like seat and pulled her to him and gave her a firm kiss on the lips, his uneasiness with physical love had faded more each day since that first one. He found the bottom of her shirt and slid his hands underneath it. To his delight she wasn't wearing a bra. Lili let out a gasp as he brushed his thumb over her nipple. He unbuttoned her shirt and took her breast in his mouth, teasing her nipples with his tongue. He felt her shudder with pleasure. Lili pulled her legs out from under her and moved even closer to Liam. Lili pushed him back against the backboard of the narrow couch. She straddled him and began unbuttoning his shirt. She ran her hands over his well-developed chest muscles and bent to kiss his stomach, slowly she worked her way up his torso and across his shoulders and up his neck. Her exposed breasts brushed against him. Liam groaned, his pants suddenly seemed too tight. He ran his hand along the insides of her thighs and she tensed up as he slid his hands closer together. Lili captured his mouth with her own. Their tongues melded together. Liam reached under her skirt and pulled at her panties, a little too hard. They ripped and he tossed them aside and pulled her closer so she could feel him hard through his pants. Lili sat up and reached between them for his belt. She undid the clasp and threw it, it landed beside the entrance to the little hole. Lili eagerly unzipped his pants and freed the confined member. Liam sat up pressing the hardened organ into her stomach. She ran her finger up and down his shaft, he moaned. Finally Lili stood up, then sank down on him creating both to tense up and gasp. Lili tightened around him. Then he cupped her buttocks and thrust in deep. Lili rocked her hips against him.
        Augur chuckled as he approached the private rooms of his establishment. There was a party going on in one of those hidey-holes. He peeked into several disappointed to find them empty and not containing his friends. As he was leaving that section, he passed the room with the private party. He couldn't interrupt but paused then looked down and there was a belt sticking out under the door. He picked it up, sliding the length of the belt from under the door. Upon examination of the buckle, Augur realized who was in the hole.

        Liam let out a great shout as he came inside Lili. They lay back on the recarnier both panting. Liam held her close. After a long silence, Lili spoke. "I don't know what you do to me. I always have complete control of myself."
        The music of the club died and they realized it was closing. Liam leaned back. "Maybe you care more than you think or care to admit."
        "Maybe." Lili hated to admit he might be right.

        "You know I would love to lock up if the two of you are through." Augur's harsh voice invaded the quiet of the hole. Lili closed her eyes against the sound of his voice.
        "We'll be out in a bit." She called out to him. Then she heard his footsteps as he walked away.          "Liam share with me. You have to know what's going on with me. I want you to understand what I've been trying to tell you."

        Augur slammed a glass down on the counter and sloshed the brown liquid over the sides. Angie wiped up the mess her boss made. "You know Augur, I've never known you to take such traditional drinks. What's the occasion?"
        "Let's just say that a lot of women... and men are going to be very disappointed when the gossip gets around."
        "What gossip?"
        "That two of our most eligible Flatliners are now involved... with each other."
        "Really? Who? Wendy? Thor? Tell me."
        "You don't want to know."

        Liam looked at Lili with a whole new expression on his face. His old soul just got a little older. "Are you going to tell him?"
        "Tell who what?" The both of them were straightening up their clothes. Lili picked up her panties then tossed them, weren't going to do any good now.
        "You know who I'm talking about. Are you going to tell him? He might take it better than you think."
        "I seriously doubt it." Lili walked out of the room and Liam followed her. Angie looked up in surprise to see them coming out of the back so late at night. Augur just downed the rest of his drink and left.
        "You have to tell him."
        "Fine. You'll be second to know when and if I tell him. That good enough for you?" Lili waved to Angie then left Liam standing in the middle of the Flat Planet.

To be continued..