Copyright ©1999, Delma RM.. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. It's characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Title: Illusions
Author: Delma RM
derema@hotmail.com

 

Illusions

        "When do we get the new codes?" Augur asked the lump sitting on his couch. "Hey! Earth to Liam!"
        "Huh?" Liam looked up.
        "What is with you man? You've been walking around like a zombie for days now. What. Is.          Wrong.?"
        "Nothing. Just got stuff on my mind."
        "Well add getting the new password list to that. Sandoval already changed them."
        "Alright I get the point."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili followed Sandoval around like a shadow. She figured if she kept her eye on him, she could keep her mind off of last weekend. Now she was having regrets at having done it. It had been in the heat of the moment... that was one long moment. She actually flushed at the memory.
        "Is something wrong, Capt.? You look feverish." Sandoval turned in time to see her blush.
        "I'm fine."
        "I would hope so. We are about to get a new assignment." Sandoval nodded for her to follow him.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Augur had just gotten a call from Lili. She was coming over to discuss a new assignment she had gotten. That usually meant she needed surveillance equipment or a bugging device. While he was searching his place for his equipment, Lili walked in.
        "Hey Augur! I gotta talk to you." Lili marched in and found him rifling through a drawer.
        "Hi. So what did you need?"
        "I need whatever you can give me for...." She looked up and started counting on her fingers.           "Spying through walls, listening to conversations across a hotel complex, anything you can do for believable temporary identities, and reservations in Vegas."
        "Is that all?"
        "Yes, I believe it is... oh and I have payment." Lili pulled two cash cards from her pocket.
        "What's this for? You know I can't accept payment from you."
        "Well it's not mine... it's from the Taelons. I was told that if I could get said equipment, then I should be able to pay my contact for it." She raised her eyebrows at him.
        "Really? Well they should pay something then. So what is this new assignment?" Augur pulled odd looking devices out of the drawer.
        "I can't say for sure, yet. Sandoval just told me to get this stuff."
        "Hmm. Hey, can you do me a favor and talk to Liam? He's been moping around here and it's starting to get to me." "Uh... sure, why not? Where is he?" Augur nodded to his couch. Lili nodded and walked over to him.
        "Hey Liam. You look... like you need a friend. Want to talk?" Lili sat next to him and he sat up abruptly. "What's wrong?"
        "Nothing..."
        "Then why do I hear you've been moping around?" Lili made the conscious decision that this had to stop. She knew what was bothering him, and she couldn't let it get out of hand. They had one afternoon together, but there was nothing there. It had just been a fling between friends. She had to admit that friends shouldn't fling... it had happened in any case.
Liam looked over at Augur to make sure he couldn't hear. Then he turned to look at Lili.
        "I have this feeling, I can't shake it. I can't think about anything but you. I mean ever since..." Lili closed her eyes, she had been right. "Don't you feel it too?"
        "Lili, I have to go pick up some of the equipment I lent to Jonathan. I'll be back in a couple of hours." Augur called into the room as he put on one of his fake beards. Lili waited until the doors closed before she spoke again. She took his hand and held it in hers.
        "Liam... you know that I never lie to you. I think you are reading too much into this. It was nice but I don't think there is anything there. I really don't. I know that you don't understand it now, but you will."
        "I know what I am feeling Lili. How can you say there is nothing there? I mean, why else would you?"
        "Don't make me answer that Liam. I hate to say that I can't return the sentiment. I don't feel what you think you are feeling. What happened, happened. It was the heat of the moment. You can't base any emotion on a one-time deal. Liam, really, it shouldn't have happened. You are too young, but it did and you have a need to make more than there is. I promised Beckett I would take care of you but I really should not have done that. It was just... Well, I am a woman and you are basically a man. I had the urge to and you were right there with your muscles and your good looks. I shouldn't have..." She trailed off and caught the look in his eyes. The feeling she had earlier returned and she felt herself flush. She tried to speak but the words wouldn't come. Liam raised his free hand to her face and kissed her deeply. Lili all but melted, soon she was oblivious to everything, even a glaring Holo-Lili.
        When Liam broke the kiss, Lili found herself lying on the couch underneath him. Her hunger for him overrode everything else, her senses abandoned her. She let Liam kiss her neck and his hands went under her shirt. Her hands went behind his neck, and he began unbuttoning her shirt. He soon had her free of both garments, his rough sweater against her breasts made her gasp. Soon they were both naked. Lili didn't know how he knew exactly where to touch her to make her go wild, but she wasn't about to stop him. His lips closed around one of her nipples and she shuddered at the sensation. His hands caressed her thighs and she felt him hard against her stomach. He had her almost begging by the time he thrust into her, causing her to cry out. She pulled him to her as he thrust and welcomed his kisses. Lili rippled with pleasure. Liam came inside her and collapsed on top of her.
  
     Finally Lili regained her senses. She couldn't believe she had allowed it to happen again. She didn't know what came over her. All she had done was look him in the eyes and she had lost it. This was nothing like the first time. This time it was a lust-driven episode. She knew she didn't feel anything for him but all the same she did care for him. She looked at him, at least he slept afterward. She dressed quickly hoping to be out of there as soon as possible. She was halfway out the door when she realized she didn't have her keys or the equipment she came for. She hurried back to get her keys and the equipment Augur had left out, she could get the rest later that night. She turned around and Liam blocked her path.
        "Lili?" He pulled his clothes on.
        "I have to go." He blocked her as she tried to go around him. "Liam, please, this really shouldn't have happened again. I have to go."
        "Wait, Lili please." She pushed past him and made it to the doors. She ran into Augur in the passage.
        "Lili. I got the bugging devices for you. Where are you going in such a hurry?" He handed her the small objects.
        "Thanks, I have to go. I'm leaving tonight. I'll see you sometime next week." With that she rushed out to her car.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "Do you have the items I requested?"
        "Yeah, the identities and reservations will be in my hands by nightfall." Sandoval looked her over and noticed how pale she was.
        "Are you alright, Capt.?"
        "I'm fine, really." 'Dang it! It shows how upset I am.'
        "If you are ill, I can find someone else..." He knew he couldn't but, he had come to care for his assistant in some small capacity.
        "NO. I am fine. I can do this Agent Sandoval." She stood very tall while she said this.
        "I certainly hope so, we'll need your connections in the event anything were to go wrong in this mission."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "So, Liam, what's with Lili? She left so fast, she didn't even wait for all she asked for." Augur held up the identities he came up with.
        "She was upset." Liam took them from Augur.
        "Yeah, I figured that out. So are you done moping? Are you happy now?"
        "Well... I was for about an hour or so..." Liam stood and left.
        "I wonder what happened..." Just then his video-screen turned on and replayed the episode on the couch. Augur was speechless, and Holo-Lili wore a slight smirk.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili sat next to Sandoval on the plane. Her hair was teased up and blonde, her make-up overdone and she was wearing a tight dress with fringe hanging off of various places.. His hair was slicked back and had stubble on his chin, and wore tight Wranglers and a western shirt. A makeshift cast covered his skrill. Sandoval had given her a band to wear as a wedding ring, it doubled as a tracking device, he had some toys of his own. She looked over her identity before she deleted it. Sandoval had already done the same while still at the Embassy. Liam had brought them by while she was changing into her awful dress in Sandoval's quarters. They would have taken the portal but the Vegas end was malfunctioning. The plan was to look like any other couple in Las Vegas. That was hard for Lili to act like she was in love with Sandoval. Sure, he was handsome, many of the women in the Embassy thought so but he was such a cold man, that rarely anyone gave him a second thought.
        "Are you ready, Lila?"
        "Ready as I'll ever be, Joey." Lili leaned into him and whispered in his ear. "There is a couple across from us that have been looking at us ever since we got on the plane."
        "Do they look like a threat?
        "No, but the man is looking at you and talking into his cell phone." The overhead made a sound that it was okay to remove the seatbelts. Sandoval stood up and went to the back of the plane. He tapped his ear before he left. Then the man in the seat across from them also stood and went to the back of the plane. Lili pretended to look out the window and talked into her wrist.
        "Joey, he followed you."
        "I see him." Came the response. Lili turned to the woman left in her seat.
        "Hi! What're ya goin ta Vegas fer?" Lili spoke in her best Texan accent. The woman stared at her for a moment, before answering.
        "Business."
        "That's great. I'm goin on my huneymoon."
        "Are you from D.C.?"
        "Naw, we're from Dallas, we were in D.C. for the first part of our huneymoon. My Joey, he's such a sweethart, he knew that I've always wanted ta see the White House and he took me."
        "That sounds nice."
        "Is he..." Lili gestured to the empty seat next to the woman, who had been glancing to the back of the train." Your husband?"
        "OH NO. No. He's my boss. There's a convention in Las Vegas and I'm here to keep his appointments straight."
        "I see. So his wife dudn't know you came with'em." She faced forward and didn't look back at Lili.          Then Sandoval sat back down and Lili wrapped her arms around him and whispered to him. "They aren't anything to worry about. There were just staring at us because of the way we look."
        "Really? And how do you know this?"
        "Well she's having an affair with her boss, the gentlemen with her. She all but admitted it. Now she isn't going to talk to us anymore." Both of them chuckled, then sat back to rest for the remainder of the flight.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Liam stayed in his hotel room. Orders were to stay here unless there was any trouble in 42C. He wasn't sure who was in there but he had lots of surveillance equipment set up there. He had no clue why he was there. He remained convinced that he was in love with Lili, no matter what she thought. His young mind was unable to comprehend anything that wasn't staring him in the face.
        He had his global with him but he could only answer it when the authorized code showed up. It had been bleeping non-stop since he left the Embassy but it wasn't important enough to answer until this was done.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Sandoval and Lili were ushered into the elevator upon confirming their reservations. He had his arm around her waist and her head on his shoulder.
        "It is very important to stay in character even after we've been shown to our room. It is very possible it was bugged. In fact, we have our own bug in there in case anything goes wrong, we'll know why. Understand?" Lili nodded. This whole assignment seemed like a sick joke. Sandoval hadn't told her what the exact assignment was. Apparently, she was the only one he trusted so she was the ideal partner for this. She knew more than anybody else did about him and they had their own system of communicating. Hopefully she would be let in on this thing before anything went wrong. What scared her was... she was getting used to this closeness that she knew would be over once the assignment was over. Maybe it was just the need for someone else besides... just the need for someone adult.
        While Lili dealt with her thoughts, Sandoval dealt with his. He was a little uncomfortable, but he had agreed to the assignment. He felt like an idiot dressed in those hick clothes, and he had to admit that Lili looked awful too. With that big hair and that god-awful dress. He was glad she agreed to come, there was no one he could trust to bring with him. The Taelons had gotten a lead on a Resistance movement on that week, he was supposed to arrange a meeting for an arms deal. If everything went as he planned, he would have an in with the Resistance and make the Taelons look a little foolish. The contact he had made yesterday had made it clear he could find out anything. Sandoval was fairly sure that the room was already bugged by the contact and the Taelons had bugged it also for their protection. It just meant there was one more person in the hotel but he didn't know who that was. Also, when he tried to make the deal, it couldn't be in the room. They had to meet in an open location, not like that would be hard in Vegas.
        "This is your floor, sir." The bellhop gestured for them to follow.
  
     Liam stood at attention as he heard the bellhop stop near his room. He looked out the peep hole. He saw Sandoval dressed like a cowboy and a very attractive woman, although the hair was a little much. So these were the operatives the Taelons had sent. 'I wonder who the girl is.'
        "Here are the keys Mr. Willis. On behalf of the hotel staff, we hope you and your wife enjoy your honeymoon here." The young man waited for the tip but didn't get one and left. As soon as he left, Sandoval pulled out a small device and scanned the room. He was still in the short hallway at the entrance to the room. The scanner picked up two small devices. One was an audio bug in the flowers and the other was a small video camera above the bed. The signature on the audio signal was Taelon. The other must be from the contact.
        Lili watched him look up above the bed and then at the flowers. They were bugged. She thought, 'Great.' You can't hide from a camera in the middle of the room. Sandoval went over to the radio and turned it on to some obnoxious music and raised the volume to full blast. He sat on the bed and invited her to sit next to him.
        "I'm afraid we may have to keep up the appearances until I can find out if the camera is on. For now you order room service and I'm gonna go take a shower." Lili started laughing. "What is so funny?"
        "That's why you didn't tip the bell boy... you couldn't get your wallet out of your pocket could you?"
        "Shut up." Then he strained to make it to the bathroom, the pants were really too tight, which made Lili laugh even more.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "Who's the trick?" The man that called himself 'Cliff' asked 'Joey'. Cliff gestured to 'Lila' sitting near the bar next to their booth.
        "That's my wife. I couldn't leave her alone on our huneymoon, could I?"
        "Send her to the crap table, I need to speak with you."
        "Lila, hun, here's some chips, go see what you can win." Lila took the chips and gave her husband a kiss before sauntering over to the blackjack table. Joey reached into his sleeve and pushed a button on a device inside his cast. The button was the only thing that disturbed the smooth texture of the cast.
        "Now Mr. Willis. I understand that you can get your hands on some Taelon weapons." Cliff pulled a cigar from his jacket pocket and sniffed it.
        "That's right. I can." Joey spoke letting nothing slip through his mask.
        "I was made to believe that Taelons are peaceful and don't use weapons. So how is it that you know where some are?" Cliff pointed the cigar at Joey in an accusing manner.
        "Listen, I don't know bout'em being peaceful or nothin but I can get the stuff... for a fair price."
        "Of course, I just need to know that I can trust you first. Need I remind you... I will know if you are lying to me. I will call you tomorrow with another meeting place. I will need you to bring a sample of this technology you offer... by the way... what happened to your right hand?"
        "Sprained the wrist an tha freakin doc thinks he needs ta cast it up. Anythin ta git my money."
        "You will be getting a call from one of my men." Cliff stood and walked off. Joey reached in and pressed another button on the same device up his sleeve. Then he joined Lila. She slipped him a small device that decoded the information he had recorded. Cliff was wearing a bug himself and Joey was able to pick up part of the conversation.
        'Honeymooners, eh? Should make for interesting viewing until the camera goes off to recharge at 11.' The camera in the room was from them.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "We just have to keep this up for another 20 minutes and then the camera will go off." He whispered in her ear. "Are you alright?"
        "Yeah fine. When else am I gonna get paid for faking it and it be completely legal?" He chuckled into her neck at that. She hated to admit that it turned her on and she might not have to fake anything.          She was wearing her nightgown and he had on boxers. There wasn't much material between them. Then he kissed her. It surprised her at first and then she returned it. She slid her hands down his muscled back and felt him tense above her. She closed her eyes as his lips moved down her neck slowly. His hands moved down her side and to her legs, then back up. There was a slight unevenness because of the bandage on his right arm. He untied her nightgown and pushed it aside. He lightly brushed his lips between her breasts and his breath on her skin made her gasp as well as the stubble on his chin. Sandoval didn't know if it was imagining it or if she was really reacting to him. It wasn't like the idea had never crossed his mind, but he would have never expected it, especially from Lili. He had to control himself, she wasn't his, this was just part of the assignment. Lili felt him hesitate. She pulled him back and kissed him at the same time rolled them over. She shrugged out of her nightgown and her soft breasts pressed up against his hard chest. She attacked him, she awakened a part of him he had thought was dead and he returned her hungriness. She ground her hips against him causing a moan to rise from his throat.
        "Why Agent Sandoval... is that your gun or are you happy to see me?" She whispered into his ear. Everything he had tried to control, to keep in was released. He rolled them onto their sides and slid her panties down and she pulled at his shorts. Sandoval slid a hand between her legs, when his fingers entered her she let out a cry. He pulled them out and slid his hand along her hip, up her waist and to her breast. He ran a finger across the nipple and he felt her grind more forcefully against him. Then he pulled her leg up over his hip and thrust into her. Lili moaned softly, she felt him shudder with pleasure as he sank into her. He thrust slowly at first then speeded it up and soon they were both crying out with pleasure. Sandoval came with a loud shout and then Lili came.
        Just then the door burst open, Liam had his weapon drawn. As soon as he realized what was happening, he rushed out and back to his own room, slamming the door behind him. The screams that he heard through his headphones were obviously not what he thought they were. He needed a drink. As soon as his door closed, his global went off again. He answered it not bothering to check the code first and found himself looking at Augur, who was wearing a strange expression on his face.
  
     They probably wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't slammed the door so hard. Sandoval had collapsed on top of her and Lili held him to her, they were still breathing fast. Then they felt the chill of the rush of air that the door sent their way.
        "What was that?" Sandoval sat up. Lili reached for her nightgown and noticed the time on the clock, they should have stopped nearly an hour ago. What happened in the next few moments would determine how she would view this night in the days to come.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        "Augur? Are you all right?"
        "Do I look all right? Look what was waiting for me when you left this afternoon." The image of him and Lili on the couch came over the global. Liam closed his eyes.
        "Look, Augur..."
        "Don't look Augur me. I'm glad you finally figured out what sex is and all but... Why Lili?"
        "She started it."
        "Not from the looks of this tape, she didn't."
        "That wasn't the first time..." Liam stopped after seeing the pained expression on his friend's face.          "So that was ... sex?"
        "Yeah man, that's what that was. I hope you and Lili will be happy while this thing lasts... what?"
        "She's mad at me or something, she says I don't know what I am feeling. And now..." Liam gulped.
        "What?" Augur was concerned by the look on the Hybrids face. He looked absolutely crushed.
        "My assignment is to keep an ear out for 42C, I heard screaming through the tap so I bust in... And there she was... with Sandoval."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Sandoval got his call bright and early, he had to climb over Lili to get to the phone. He was half-asleep still and barely noticed that he hadn't even bothered to put his shorts back on, he was used to sleeping without them. While he was talking, Lili awoke to find him sort of draped over her and mumbling into the phone. As she lay there, she picked up parts of the conversation.
        "Mr. Willis, I think I can trust you for now. You should know that we have a camera in your room. I won't tell you where it is but your wife is simply beautiful... good lungs, too. I don't believe I will have to go any further than that to keep you in check. Bring the sample to Cesar's Palace at 7, I have a private room, just ask the concierge to see Cliff and he'll show you in. Now you could bring your wife but I get the impression she'd much rather see the show."
        "I'll be there."
        "Good. I think you and I could be partners... if this evening proves fruitful. Be careful, you seem to be squashing your beautiful bride." (click).
        Sandoval pushed the button and then dialed the front desk. He ordered breakfast, a big one, and then asked for Mr. Jennings' room number.
        "Shall I connect you, Mr. Willis?"
        "Yeah." (ringing) Sandoval wiped his eyes and tried to wake up.
        "Mmmm. Hello?"
        "Mr. Jennings... this is 42C. This is Mr. Willis speaking. I need your room number so I can pick up the bag that got switched."
        "Huh? Oh. Right. What time will you come for the bag?"
        "About 6, is that fine? Which room is yours?"
        "Try 43C. That's fine, as long as you bring the screamer." Sandoval's nostrils flared at that comment, the bugs were apparently fully functional.
        "Fine." (click) Sandoval replaced the receiver on the cradle. Lili looked up at him as he sat up.
         "Joey, that sounded like..."
        "I believe it was... I'm gonna shower. Oh and you are going to the show at Cesar's Palace, tonight."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Awkward. That's how Lili felt all morning, all afternoon, all day. Last night shouldn't have gone that far but then Sandoval said the camera had gone off but not the voice recorder. He didn't say anything about it. She didn't push, she knew how he was, and he didn't like to talk. While he ran the water, he explained to her how to use the bug. She going to be listening in on the meeting while she was supposed to be watching the show.
  
     They went across the hall to pick up a bag from Liam. It had been his voice she had heard over the phone. He was not happy. She took that to mean he was their bug, and he had been listening the night before. While Sandoval contacted someone at the Embassy through Liam's phone, he pulled her aside.
        "What's the deal?"
        "What are you talking about?"
        "Last night."
        "It's part of the guise. We're supposed to be newly weds. That's what they do. If we didn't, our cover would be blown."
        "Right." He said dryly. She grabbed his arm.
        "Listen to me. This is strange for me too, but we both have to deal. I don't have time to talk to you right now. I'll see you when I get back at the end of the week. Ok?" Lili looked up at him.
        "Ok." Liam nodded. She gave him a little smile and a pat on the arm. At least she had made a peace with Liam for the time being.

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili sat at the show, bored out of her mind. The show was so tacky and meant to appeal to the more superficial of people. She ordered her drink, and the waiter kept her glass filled all night. She was listening to Sandoval's meeting and even that was pretty much boring. Apparently that Cliff guy thought 'Joey' was a Taelon arms dealer. It was working so far. Then the conversation changed. Sandoval was dealing for a contact.
        [It really would be easier if I could make this deal with your superior] 'Sandoval watch it you're slipping, keep up the accent.'
        [If you really want the truth Mr. Willis... I don't know who my superior is. I get the orders and I carry them out. No one knows who is really running the show.] 'Thank God. People are really starting to listen.'
        [I thought Doors was the man in charge.]
        [Not anymore. He's running for Pres as you know and he doesn't have the time. Whoever he named his replacement has kept himself a secret. It's smart if you ask me. No one knows who's in charge so if you're caught you honestly know nothing.]
        [How interestin... Thank you for your patronage, Cliff. We'll be in touch about the rest of the merchandise.]
        [You know, I know someone who can help you out though. Here's his number. I've never seen him, only spoken to him. He might be interested in this stuff for his own.]
        Lili would have killed to see that number. She ordered another drink, a stronger one. The waiter didn't disappoint her, he kept her glass filled at all times. Right up until Sandoval joined her, by then she was plastered. He sighed at sat next to her.
        "Is there some reason you are drunk?"
        "I'm not drunk... I'm happy." She flashed him a little crooked smile.
        "Was the show really that bad?" She gave him a look. "Fine, we'll go some where else."

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

        Lili waited in line at the portal station. She couldn't wait until she could wash out her platinum hair and change into something... else... preferably comfortable and not so confining. All she needed was a hot bath and some alone time. Knowing someone was watching her almost 24 hours a day warranted a little need for privacy. Lili looked at her companion and wondered what he was thinking. That would be another thing to deal with. She knew why she didn't stop him... every night, but she wanted to know why he didn't either. She almost hated to admit that this past week had been great. She had enjoyed almost every moment of it. There were a few uncomfortable moments in Liam's room when they picked up a Taelon weapon. Other than that and she almost considered it a vacation. It bothered her that when he called out her name.. it was Lila she heard. She knew that anything else would have killed the whole assignment. She had no way of knowing if it came from him or if it was the assignment.
        "What?" Lili realized she was staring at Sandoval. She shook her head and stepped forward into their positions on the portal pad.
        He looked at the woman by his side. He didn't want to leave the portal station, he didn't want to go through that portal, he knew that if he did it would all be over. All the closeness that he enjoyed all week would be over and he would probably never have the chance again. As he stepped onto the portal pad, he sighed. There would never be anything else for him. He did care for her but he never thought he had a chance with her. He always figured that she and Boone would become something, or maybe with Liam. Even in the three years he had known her before she was reassigned, he was married and would have never attempted anything like this. He would do better to forget all about this week... although she did say his name that first night.
        They shared the same thought as they traveled to D.C. 'I hope he/she doesn't find out how I really feel.'

To Be Continued..