Copyright 1999, Lyta. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.

Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry’s Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. Its characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.

Rating: G

Title: Something To Talk About

Author: Lyta

Lyta_1028@yahoo.com

 

Author’s Note: This was written in response to a story challenge posted on the Philosophy Sphere by Morwen, to write a story with Renee, bubble gum, an even the requires Liam to get/wear a tuxedo, hail and a Star Trek reference.

 

“Something To Talk About”

 

    Liam Kincaid winced as he walked back toward to ballroom. He’d been dealing with a splitting headache all evening, the music was too loud for his current tolerance, and outside it was hailing. The music was by far more preferable than having the sound of hail hitting the roof grate on his already frayed nerves.

    He paused by the entrance and surveyed the situation, there had been no security problems though he had a bad feeling it was premature to be relieved. Then again it could just be his pessimism talking.

    Then he heard a noise that made him want to go back in the hallway and listen to the hail, his eyes locked onto a Volunteer stationed by a side entrance chewing gum very loudly.

    “Volunteer!” Liam practically barked. Part of his mind wanted to let the Volunteer have it for behaving in such an unprofessional manner, the other part noted worriedly that he sounded too much like Sandoval at that moment. For once in his life, Liam didn’t even care how much his behavior mirrored that of the implant.

    “Yes, Major?” The Volunteer asked nervously. It was rare that Da’an’s protector lost his patience and it made the young man extremely nervous.

    “Lose the gum.”

    “Oh, right. Yes sir!” The Volunteer all but ran to the nearest trashcan, nearly knocking Renee Palmer over in his haste. She walked up to Liam, opened her purse, pulled out a bottle of aspirin, opened it and handed one to Liam.

    Liam nodded his thanks and went off to find a glass of water, returning a minute later. “Thanks.” He said softly.

    “You looked as though you needed it.” Renee replied. “I’ve never seen you chew out a Volunteer like that before.”

    Liam leaned over to her and whispered conspiratorially. “I think I’m out past my bedtime.”

    “Cute. Maybe I should have kept my aspirin and just let you suffer.”

    “Maybe you should have.”

    “But then I would not have the excuse to drag you out onto the dance floor.”

    Liam’s face went ashen. “Dance?”

    Renee laughed. “You do know how to dance, right Kincaid?”

    “Well yes…”

    “Then come on, I insist.” Renee practically dragged him over to the dance floor. “Step on my toes and I’ll pay Augur to make the next few days very interesting.”

    “Why are you doing this to me?” Liam moaned.

    “You clean up well. Don’t blush its true, and there are a few business associates around.”

    Liam understood. “You want to make them jealous.”

    Renee nodded. “I don’t get to yell at Volunteers, so I have to get my kicks somehow. You know for someone who I had to drag out here you seem to be enjoying yourself.”

    “Let me see: this is the first time I’ve ever danced with anyone and I’m going it well enough to placate Ms. Renee Palmer.”

    “A night of firsts. Any others?”

    “My first tuxedo.”

    “Don’t look now but Zo’or is staring at us.”

    Liam turned them around casually a bit before his gaze came to rest on the Synod leader. “Glaring is more like it.”

    “You know, when I was a teenager and watched hours of B rated sci-fi I thought a lot about what aliens were like. I thought they’d be more like the ones on Star Trek, but I never imagined I’d be dancing with a man 1/3 Kimera while a Taelon glared at us.”

    Liam smirked. “I think Da’an and Mr. Spock might get along nicely.”

    Renee considered this. “You might be on to something there.”

    They danced in silence until the song came to an end. Just as Renee was about to ask if he wanted to take a break, she’d never admit it but her feet were killing her in those awful shoes, Liam leaned forward and kissed her on the lips. He pulled away with a smile and whispered in her ear. “Now we’ve given them something to talk about.”

    Renee looked at the knot of business associates, who were now pointedly not looking at her. She caught side of Da’an’s amused expression and Zo’or’s somewhat scandalized one.

    “Yes, we have, haven’t we.”