Copyright 1999, Lyta. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. Its characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Rating: G
Title: Never to Return
Author:  Lyta
Lyta_1028@yahoo.com

Summary: Zo'or ponders Ha'gel's death

"Never to Return"

    Ha'gel's presence had left the Commonality and Zo'or was relieved. The Kimera was a threat to the Taelons with his shaquarava and ancient grudge. It therefore surprised Zo'or that Ha'gel had not attempted any assassination. With his chameleon abilities Ha'gel could easily slip past the tight network of security personnel who guard even the lowest ranking Taelon on Earth.
    Why? Zo'or wondered. The Taelon knew that if he were in Ha'gel's unenviable position and had the opportunity to revenge himself upon the Jaridians, they would embrace the chance gladly even if it meant his own destruction.
    In a curious way, Zo'or pitied Ha'gel.  He knew full well how heavy the burden of being the last of a species could be. His entire life he had the hopes of the Taelons pinned upon him. As a young being, he had felt great anger that he carefully hoarded, ashamed and afraid of what the Commonality would think. It was wrong for him to carry so much when he had done nothing to precipitate the disaster befalling his people.
    It was not fair.
    Then Zo'or chided himself, even Humans told their children that life is not fair. He was Taelon and being of a superior race meant he should know better than a Human child.
    Still, he allowed himself a tiny bit of regret that he could not have interrogated Ha'gel and found out for himself the Kimera's intentions on Earth. Ha'gel's actions hinted at more than mere personnel survival, but now Zo'or would never know. Ha'gel had gone on to face the void as all his kind had  before him.