Copyright 1999, Lyta. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in full or in part without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co., its characters are used without permission. No infringement is intended.
Rated: PG
Title: Running the Gauntlet
Author: Lyta
Lyta_1028@yahoo.com

Author's Notes: A "what if" that explores what might have happened if the Kimeran Repository had not blocked the shuttle's flight path in "Gauntlet".

"Running the Gauntlet"

    Liam Kincaid looked at his cellmate Lili Marquette and wondered what was going to become of them. The Jaridians had two Taelon shuttles with inter-dimensional drive capability, not to mention hostages who knew quite a bit about the current Taelon agenda. Liam had a chilling thought that he and Lili might be used as test subjects in a Jaridian experiment, just as the Jaridian who had taken Lili hostage had been.
    The Jaridians could also simply kill them.
    On the bright side, the Jaridians were completely unaware of his true heritage. Liam had spent the majority of his spare time trying to understand his parents through their memories, and through their knowledge, understand himself. Now he concentrated on Ha'gel's memories, which were harder for him to focus on specific instances. Ha'gel had memories of a lifetime more easily measured in millennia than individual Earth years.  His Kimeran father also retained the experiences of his own parents, and those he had joined with. Surely Ha'gel knew something of the Jaridians that could help his son now. Deep in thought, Liam carefully sorted though his inherited memories, but it was a frustrating task: rather like looking for a specific book in a library hit by a tornado.
     It was also fascinating. Once he had stumbled across Sandoval's memory of a particularly wild college party, Liam had promptly vowed never to allow himself to get that drunk. Ha'gel's memories were more difficult to access than those of his human parents, Dr. Park theorized this was because of his human mindset, though Joyce Belman told him that he would be able to access those memories when he needed to.   Liam thought the present situation qualified.
     Liam got a little sidelined when he reached his mother's memories, he had always found her memories to be a great comfort. Her joy at the prospect of a child after having resigned herself to the impossibility of motherhood with her career made him feel less alone even though she was gone. Of all his parents, Siobhan Beckett alone had loved him without condition. Ha'gel never saw him and Sandoval had repeatedly tried to kill him.
     "I wish I could see the stars," Liam said, unaware he spoke aloud.
     "Me too, preferably from the pilot's seat of my shuttle." Lili replied. "You've been awfully quiet since we were thrown in here."
     "I've just been thinking." Upon considering his shuttle, Liam's thoughts brightened a bit.
     "Bet its on how to get out of here."
     Liam smiled slightly, "How'd you guess?"
     Lili shrugged and leaned against the cold greenish metal wall of the cell. "Great minds think alike."
     "Any suggestions?" Liam asked.
     "I might have a great mind," Lili said with a sigh. "But I cannot think of a single way to get us out of here that goes not end in us getting shot, excuse me blasted by Jaridian shaquarava before even seeing our shuttles."
     "The Jaridians are probably taking apart one of the engines to figure out how ID technology works even as we speak." Liam said fatalistically. Then he smiled slightly. "I'd give anything to see the expression on Sandoval's face right now."
     "Forget Sandoval, I want to see the look on Zo'or's face."
     "Zo'or will cover it all up with a smirk and some more-evolved-than -thou comments. Sandoval will be the one who takes the heat." Liam pointed out. "I'd also like to see the Jaridians expression when…" Liam held up a tiny chip. Lili instantly recognized it as a vital component to the ID drive system, without that chip the whole drive would short out at next use.
     Lili was about to ask how he got it past the search, when the door to their cell slid open. A Jaridian, not the one who escaped from the mothership, gestured for them to follow. Liam and Lili did as instructed and were escorted down the same hallway they had been when taken to their cells. Liam amused himself by trying to translate the Jaridian writing on the walls. Most of it merely designated the functions of various locations, but it was interesting to compare Ha'gel's memories of the language with the modern usage. Sometime in the millennia his father had slept between the stars the language had changed a bit. The glyphs were more simpler and less artistic, a few meanings appeared to have been altered but Liam got the gist of what was written . He wondered how he would do with the vernacular.
     The Jaridian, a low ranking officer if Da'an's files on Jaridian rank insignias were correct, led them to where the two shuttles were parked side by side. Liam covered a smirk at the sight of the burned out engine from his shuttle lying on the ground a meter from the shuttle.
     There were two only Jaridians present, obviously they did not consider the two humans to be a serious threat to them. The second Jaridian had the appearance of a technician or scientist. He was older than the one who escorted them, as Liam could tell from the lighter color of his head markings. As soon as the two Jaridians gave him an opening, Liam took it. He fired his shaquarava at the obviously surprised Jaridians, who collapsed to the ground. Liam had no idea how long they would remain stunned.
      Lili took the opportunity Liam provided and practically jumped into the still working shuttle. She grabbed the pilots seat.  Liam entered, and went over to the engine to give it  a once over. Everything seemed to be in working order.
     "ID drive look's like it will take us home." He announced. Liam strapped himself into one of the seats and braced for a bumpy ride. The Jaridians would not be too happy about losing the shuttle.
     "First things first," Lili reminded him, she targeted the second shuttle. Seconds later it was as much a useless pile of materials as its engine. She lifted the shuttle off the docking bay floor and retracing the path she had taken in.
     No sooner than they had hit vacuum than the shuttle was rocked by weapons fire. Lili did not waste time firing back as they zoomed away from the Jaridian facility, which Liam guessed to be one of their perimeter bases. The second she was able, Lili got them into ID space then turned to face Liam.
     "It's going to be a long trip home. Any ideas on how to pass the time?"
     "How about working on our stories for Zo'or?" Liam suggested, glancing at the faint red marks in the center of each of his palms.
     "I was right: great minds do work in concert." 
     Liam groaned.

Fin