Copyright 1999, Lyta. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in full or in part without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co., its characters are used without permission. No infringement is intended.
Rated: PG
Title: Shared Experiences
Author: Lyta
Lyta_1028@yahoo.com

Summary: Da'an helps Liam learn to overcome his personal demons.

Author's Notes: Vignette following my previous story, "When the Truth is Known"

"Shared Experiences"

    Liam woke up in a cold sweat with the sheets and bedspread lying in a tangled mass on the floor. Shivering, he picked the covers off the floor and wrapped the blanket around himself. This was the third night in a row he had awakened from the dream, or rather nightmare.
    In the dream, he was on the mothership again, strapped down to the examining table as Zo'or forced him into a sharing. His every memory seemed violated, not so special  now that he was no longer they only one who could recall them. He had never felt or been so helpless before that moment.
    Giving up on the possibility of sleeping any more that night, Liam put a robe on over his nightclothes and quietly walked to the kitchen. He rummaged around in the cupboards, occasionally marveling at some of the items he could. Apparently Augur's eccentric tastes extended as far as his pantry. Finally Liam ended up with hot chocolate and settled himself in a chair by the gas fireplace. Even the cozy atmosphere around him failed to dispel the terror of the dream, his memory. It did not help that he was still trying to piece together his last hours on the mothership and understand why Sandoval had saved him.
    "Liam." A soft voice said from behind. Liam turned to see Da'an standing in the doorway wearing a concerned expression. "This is the third time in as many nights I have found you here when you should be resting."
    "I couldn't sleep." Liam offered in explanation.
    "It was the dream again." Da'an stated.
    Liam suddenly found the way the marshmallows floated about in his mug to be fascinating.
    "You have been very quiet and distant these last few days." The Taelon observed.
    "I just needed to think." Liam said. Da'an gave him a questioning look and Liam decided to elaborate a bit in hopes of getting Da'an to stop his questioning. "I try to sleep, but all I can see in my dreams is Zo'or making me…" His voice choked his emotion and Liam found he could not complete his sentence.
    "Sharing can be a tool of both mutual understanding and terror, depending on its application. Captain Marquette recently told me an intriguing Human phrase: 'if you fall off a horse, you should get right back on again'. Apparently it means that if something which should not be frightening does induce fear then one should strive to experience it in the intended manner before the fear becomes too deeply entrenched."
    Liam looked up at him blankly.
    "I suggest we share. The Commonality is aware of your true nature now and it would do no harm."
    "I'm not sure that is such a good idea." Liam said, trying to think of ways to dissuade Da'an.
    "I would never intentionally harm you, Liam." Da'an told him in a gentle tone.
    After a long moment of hesitation, Liam slowly extended his hand to the Taelon. Da'an pressed his own palm to Liam's cautiously, not wanting to make him back off. Da'an blushed as he initiated the sharing.
    Liam found himself immersed in a wave of emotion from Da'an and instantly reciprocated. Their relationship was a curious mix of friendship and the bond between a parent and a child. Da'an had long ago come to terms with the fact that he would not have offspring of his own, and Liam had come to feel like his son. Now Zo'or had hurt his child in ways not visible to the eye. It pained Da'an that Liam's smiles were rare these days, and when he did smile it failed to reach his now haunted eyes. The sharing became a conduit through which Da'an communicated his feelings to Liam in a way that words could never be a substitute for.
    When at last their hands parted, Liam's expression was one of wonder. He smiled and it lit up his green eyes. Had Da'an been Human, he would have released a sigh of relief.