Copyright 1999, Lyta. All rights reserved. No part of this story may be re-posted in part or in full without written permission from me.
Disclaimer: Gene Roddenberry's Earth: Final Conflict is copyright 1998, Tribune Entertainment Co. Its characters are used without permission, no infringement is intended.
Rating: PG
Title: The Face of an Enemy, the Face of a Friend Part III
Author:  Lyta
Lyta_1028@yahoo.com

Summary: Sequel to "Cat and Mouse," part three of a series.

The Face of an Enemy, The Face of a Friend Part III

Liam strained his psychic senses, using his connection to the Commonality to search for traces of Da'an, but he found nothing. He was relieved that even Zo'or could find no more than a whisper of the renegade Taelon's link. It would not do to disappoint the Synod leader. Liam glanced over at Agent Sandoval, his Human father, and watched him nod at the image on his global before closing it and looking up at his son.
    "Is something the matter, Major?" Sandoval inquired, keeping his tone matter-of-fact.
    "I was just considering the possibility that Da'an has entered a state of Samhaad. That would reduce his connection to the Commonality, thus making it difficult for us to locate him." Liam replied promptly.
    "But that would only occur to Da'an if he knew that either you or a Taelon were on Earth actively searching for him."
    Kincaid shrugged. "There are two possibilities. Da'an tutored me in masking my Kimeran heritage from the Synod. He is thus more sensitive to my presence than any other Taelon and is adept at reading even minute changes when I access the Commonality."
    "And the other?"
    "Someone affiliated with the Resistance recognized us and warned Da'an."
    "How long can he maintain Samhaad." Sandoval asked, his CVI bringing up images of the only time he had seen Taelons in that state.
    "A few weeks at most." Kincaid frowned. "It will be easier to attempt to track the other members of the Resistance command."
    Marquette, Sandoval thought. It was yet another example of the change that CVI had wrought over Liam. She used to be Lili to him. "Possibly. We do have a possible lead, but it is already cold."

    Both Lili and Augur found Da'an's Samhaad state creepy, so did the rest of the Resistance, but they had to keep their opinions to themselves.
    "Hey, think if we just press a button then he'll snap out of that like an alien sleeping beauty?" Julia asked.
    Lili shook her head in exasperation.
    "Just trying to lighten the mood a little."
    "It isn't working, not in the slightest" Augur told her.

To be continued…